Rihanna Calls Out Snapchat For Their Thoughtless Poll On Violence

Rihanna Calls Out Snapchat For Their Thoughtless Poll On Violence.

Recently, Rihanna has called out snapchat for their tasteless poll on violence. The poll consisted of two choices that asked "Would you rather...Slap Rihanna or...Punch Chris Brown?" Of course Rihanna would be furious with the poll and the people who run snapchat. Promoting violence in a poll is wrong, let alone conjuring up the past between Rihanna and Chris.

When I first heard about Chris hurting Rihanna, I didn't wanna believe it. The reason being is because they were both my favourite singers, and they still are to this day. But, I eventually took Rihanna's side because as a person that went through child abuse, I knew that doing what he did was wrong.

For those of you that do not know what had happened between Rihanna and Chris, let me fill you in on what I know. Back in 2008, Chris Brown had beaten Rihanna so bad. She had cuts, bruises, and marks on her face. Apparently, they got into a fight and Chris' anger overpowered him and he began to beat her. Anger should be no excuse to hurt someone that badly. I know because I was like that too, but I've owned up to my mistakes and changed.

As I say that, Chris has done his time and went to rehab to better his life. Rehab and doing time has proven that he has changed. He's focused his time on music and his little girl, Royalty. And I just gotta say, Royalty is a CUT-TIE!!!! Chris is lucky that he turned his life around and is no longer hurting women, but I still wouldn't let him near me.

With that being said, I think that Snapchat should pay some sort of money to Rihanna as they not only promoted violence to young children, but they also embarrassed Rihanna in a horrible, horrible way! No celebrity should have to be reminded about the past in that way, or in any way at all! Celebrities are human and should be treated as such! No one should be embarrassed like that!

But a question does come to mind with everyone that knows about this. Why did Snapchat post the poll? Why did they approve it? Was it to embarrass Rihanna? Was it to spark some "excitement" in the young children so they can talk about Snapchat? Were they just trying to make a joke about the situation between Rihanna and Chris? Well, I'm gonna try to answer these questions as best as I can!

In my opinion, I don't really think it was to embarrass Rihanna. If It was, they'd have a huge lawsuit on their hands and they would loose a large sum of money. Snapchat can't have that kind of spotlight on them, especially when they're gearing towards young children, teens, and young adults that are still easily persuaded. But if it wasn't to embarrass Rihanna, it could've been to spark some "excitement" in the young children and teens.

If you think about it, Snapchat has been around since 2010. They've offered lots of great content, such as news for celebrities, polls of people to play, and other sorts of games. People can send a picture and it'll be gone within seconds if it's not saved. Because of this, lots of other social media have taken on this idea and obviously, children and teens have flocked to that social media site more than snapchat. It especially didn't help when Snapchat updated their app and people couldn't find their friends stories or get into their messages, they stopped going on Snapchat so much. Because of this, Snapchat needed an event to spark the children and teens interests to get them back on the app. Therefore, they came up with the poll to get them back on the app. Not such a great way to get them back on the app, but it definitely sparked their interests since they created the app in 2010.

As for making a joke about it, I think it's a far cry from that. No one wants to make a joke about domestic violence unless they're psychotic and have no morals at all. Again, people of snapchat made an insane amount of money. To make a poll about violence as a joke would put them under fire and they'd have to pay a lot of money to Rihanna, and maybe even Chris, for it. So, in my opinion, I don't think they did it as a joke.

In conclusion, I think that they should pay Rihanna some money for what they'd done, and I think they did it to spark some "excitement" in the children and teens.

What do you guys think? Why did Snapchat approve the poll? Was it to spark "excitement" for the children and teens? Or, was it because of some other reason? Tell me in the comments below!

519

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont really care about chris, rihanna or snapchat.

I like their music, but their lives dont interest me.

As for snapchat, i dont like the app anyway.

As for the poll, it has violence, but nowadays ebmverything has a lot more violence. Movies, videogames etc.

You can't keep all of that away from kids.
    That being said , kids shouldn't have sc or instagram. And definitely not tumblr.

All of these apps have too much porn and too few porn restrictions.

On instagram for example, you cannot post nude pictures, but you can post porn videos.

I had the natural curiosity to look up sex online as a teenager around 14 years of age.

But now , 6-7 year old kids can be accidentally exposed to it from one of these apps.

Sc, insta, tumblr etc are NOT for kids. If you are a parent, take some notes.

In fact , you should be monitoring all your kids social media till they are no longer naive and somewhat able to make sound decisions

• I agree. Kids under the age of 14 (or 15) should NOT have any social media at ALL! When I have kids, they're not getting phones until they're sixteen at least. Because at least at 16, they'll know how to handle some forms of social media. And yes, you see you violence everywhere, but I just feel as though snapchat did wrong on their part by letting this poll be approved.

• Yeah, exactly!

• Thanks for mho

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 18

• I definitely understand her being upset and/or annoyed, but she also chose to go back to Brown after he abused her. Not wise. Brown also mocked his anger management punishment afterwards, so I highly doubt that he actually changed or learned anything...

• I have a short position open on SNAP so I appreciated this very much. I wish more celebrities would openly criticize SnapChat as I'd be really happy if it dropped to $15.

• Pay money for some dumb poll? LOL. Idiocy.

I want some money paid to me due to mental exhaustion because if I hear that "work work work" song one more time I will kill myself.

• I don't know how Snapchat works. Since zi never even tried it once.

But expecting a milti million cliented company to check every poll and random post is just overexpectation.

And waiting them to pay Rihanna, is absurd. Why do americans reckon everything should be based on currency?

And about Chris Brown, any man eho names his daughter 'Royalty' has some issues to be treated. What the fuck kinda name is that?

• I can fully understand how a person who has been the victim of physical violence wouldn't want to be reminded of it or see it mentioned like that.

• Um, no, Snapchat did nothing wrong. It is asking what "you" would rather do, not what "they" should do to each other.

• Umm, yeah, they did do something wrong because they created a poll based on an incident that happened UMPTEEN YEARS AGO, and they indirectly promoted domestic violence amongst children and teens. So yeah, Snapchat did something wrong and I hope they fix their mistake.

• 1. Does it matter when it happened? Because your second point would contradict your whole reasoning around the time.
      2. Domestic violence, well, guess we have to ban every single action movie, every movie when someone is hit (regardless of intensity or purpose), stop movie and TV show trailers from being shown, etc.

• Chris Brown beat her up and then she got back with him, so she's on her own now. She's made her decision.

• she beat him more than he beat her, just never told that publicly to protect her image

• @Porcelaine Then he doesn't get any sympathy from me either.

If somebody abuses you and you get free and then you take them back, it means you liked it, you loved it, and you want some more of it.

• Why weren't we asked if we'd rather punch Put in (bloody spell checker won't let me type Vladimir e' surname) or Trump.

• Yawn. Pittifull sad puny mammals... soon they will all die and make way for a much more noble creature worthy of life.

• I guess it's official, Rhianna has nothing better to do. Because we all know Snapchat was so important and serious before.

• It seems like just kind of a rude, sophomoric, "Family Guy" kind of thing to do - the poll, that is.

• I can understand why she would be upset by that but didn't they date again after awhile?

• They re-kindled in 2010, but it was very, VERY short lived.

• OH THE IRONY! HAHAHA

She is literally the face of normalized domestic abuse.

• Yeah I don't blame her for being angry.

• Well I think Chris Brown deserves more than to be punched, he should be put in jail for what he did. But because he is a famous celebrity he gets away with it.

• Umm... he already served time! -_-! He was let out after and went to rehab for his anger issues. No, it doesn't excuse for what he did, but then again, it's in the past. Snapchat should've been more diligent in bringing up the past, you know?

• Skated and then ridiculed it, he learned nothing.

• I dunno I feel like it's just stupid to get upset over a snapchat poll. Does it matter? Does it affect anyone's lives? Jokes or games may be in poor taste and things that are in poor taste may be enjoyable (hence why cards against humanity exists). Honestly I'm pretty sure some people just hate both singers so... yeah I doubt this was meant to be a call back to what happened between them. Maybe I'm just naive but I sincerely doubt that's what this was meant to be. Even if it was though... I don't think there's an issue with it other than it being in poor taste. Whether you like it or hate it, you're really in no place to get your panties all in a twist over something so petty and absolutely ridiculous.

• This is DOMESTIC VIOLENCE we're talking about here! By creating this poll, they're indirectly encouraging that behaviour! So, as a woman that has mother that's been through domestic violence, I have a right to have my panties in a twist with this poll! They shouldn't of made this poll and I hope Rihanna sues them! >:(

• Nope. It would be an invasion of privacy if someone posted a news article about the domestic violence without my or my daughter's permission. Based on the fact that this is apparently very public information, it's incredibly insensitive, but it is in no way shape or form an invasion of privacy even in the REMOTEST sense. It's insulting sure, it's in poor taste, and if that is actually what the poster was doing (which I still don't believe it is) then yeah nothing about it is okay. But there is no legal argument here for a lawsuit or for punishing the poster because they were offensive. Being offensive isn't a crime whether or not you or I or anyone else believes it ought to be. The closest thing to a legal argument anyone could pull out of this is harassment which... as it was not directed at Rihanna and it seems only to have happened once... it can't even be considered that except remotely.

• Don't get me wrong. If what you've said is true about Rihanna and Chris Brown (a singer I've admittedly never even heard of) then yes the poll may well have been completely tasteless and I don't wish for a second to imply that I'm okay with or wish to make light of domestic violence. My adopted aunt and her 5 kids were abused sexually and domestically so don't think for a second that I'm just calloused to the situation. Domestic violence is horrible and I hate it with every fiber of my being.

However, if I saw this poll without the context you've given it I could have replaced the names with Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus and nothing would have changed. Like any other singers I'm pretty dang sure Chris and Rihanna have haters. I see this as a "which do you hate more?" poll (which for the record are still in very poor taste.) But is posting a poll online asking which singer you hate more worthy of a law suit? Does being personally insulted give you the right to sue someone? I hope not.

• Chris Brown was justified.

• In bad taste? yes! But remember this is a donald trump society, A national inquirer reading, coors beer drinking, gun luvin, trailer trash donald trump society. If something is in good taste it will certainly be ignored!

What Girls Said 5

• thought we were gonna be able to answer the poll here

• She was asking for it, she shouldn't have got back with that abuser (aka Chris Brown) Guy give me a black eye, I'm gone.

• That was messed up because she has been through domestic violence for a long time i feel so bad for her :(

• Snapchat sucks
    I don't give 2 fucks about Chris or Rihanna

Good day. *tips hat*

• Negative exposure nowadays is still added exposure. Snapshot was banking on the popularity of that post despite the negative feedback. It's still attracting attention that they care about.