Why is Hip-Hop Becoming Dirty? The Industry Needs Some Cleaning!

DarkBlack9

Why Hip-Hop is Becoming Dirty? The Industry Needs Some Cleaning!

When I was little, I remember listening to Eminem’s ‘Mockingbird’ song, and it hit me hard though I didn’t know what exactly he was saying. The only thing I knew about the song was that, a little girl’s mama had left her. As I grew up, at the age of 14 I developed a taste for hip-hop and started listening to rap songs, writing lyrics and making beats. Along with a lot of inspiring and motivating songs, I found that a lot of ‘wanna-be’ rappers evolving to eat the industry.

First of all what I want to say is that, a lot of newly evolving artists and fame fallen artists are craving for top ranks, well, that should happen, but the problem is that they’re not doing it in the right way. Why? Because, they use the topics like sex, drugs, booty etc. to come up through the competition. And, you can see rappers like Tyga boasting about how much money he’s got while Iggy Azalea keeps cashing her booty. A talented rapper does not need drugs, sex and music videos with half dressed girls to reach a top rank and gain fame. What he needs is just his talent in rapping and writing lyrics.

Marshal Mathers or simply Eminem is an aggressive person sometimes using strong language, but his words are inspiring and are still pleasant to keep listening. This is a part from his rap “Mockingbird”,

Hailie I know you miss your mom and I know you miss your dad
When I'm gone but I'm trying to give you the life that I never had
I can see you're sad, even when you smile, even when you laugh
I can see it in your eyes, deep inside you want to cry
'Cause you're scared, I ain't there?
Daddy's with you in your prayers
No more crying, wipe them tears
Daddy's here, no more nightmares

In this rap he talks to his little daughter to comfort her during the time where their mother had left them.

It's funny
I remember back one year when daddy had no money
Mommy wrapped the Christmas presents up
And stuck 'em under the tree and said some of 'em were from me
'Cause daddy couldn't buy 'em
I'll never forget that Christmas I sat up the whole night crying
'Cause daddy felt like a bum, see daddy had a job
But his job was to keep the food on the table for you and mom
And at the time every house that we lived in
Either kept getting broke into and robbed
Or shot up on the block and your mom was saving money for you in a jar
Tryin' to start a piggy bank for you so you could go to college
Almost had a thousand dollars till someone broke in and stole it
And I know it hurt so bad it broke your momma's heart

Here, Eminem talks about the hard times when he was poor. In this rap he tells his story to his daughter and says that he’ll be there for her and will take care of her.

Hip-hop has ties to guns, gangs and street life that’s true, but, that doesn’t mean hip-hop is a disastrous genre, hip-hop is there to show what’s life is like. A good example is Tupac Shakur’s “Dear Mama”.

You are appreciated

When I was young me and my mama had beef

Seventeen years old kicked out on the streets

Though back at the time, I never thought I'd see her face

Ain't a woman alive that could take my mama's place

Suspended from school, and scared to go home, I was a fool

With the big boys, breaking all the rules

I shed tears with my baby sister

Over the years we was poorer than the other little kids

And even though we had different daddy's, the same drama

When things went wrong we'd blame mama

I reminisce on the stress I caused, it was hell

Hugging on my mama from a jail cell

And who'd think in elementary?

Hey! I see the penitentiary…..

In this rap he talks about all the struggles he and his family had to face. His mama was a single mother on drugs having to take care of two kids, Tupac and his sister. But still this lady gave heaps of love to her two kids. He talks about his growing up with thugs and how he never thought he would be locked up in the state pen in the line “and hey who think in elementary, one day i'd see the penitentiary”. So, this is a very inspiring rap you can listen to. At the end he says,

Dear mama

Don't you know I love you?

Dear mama

Place no one above you

Oh mama, I appreciate you

Although my shadow's gone

I will never leave you

I appreciate you

I love you

I need you

Oh mama

See, Tupac was also a thug but how emotional his words are? This is what real rap songs are like. Real hip-hop also includes Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa, NF, Wu Tang Clan and many more. Sorry, I’m not going to add more lyrics for I’ve got to show you how this industry is getting messed up.

Recently I listened to this rap “Gucci Gang” from an artist called “Lil-Pump” and I was like “So that was a rap?” This man with colorful hair was just rapping out some dumb words,

Gucci Gang, ooh, yeah, little Pump, yeah, Gucci Gang, ooh

Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang
Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang (Gucci gang!)
Spend ten racks on a new chain
My b*tch love do cocaine, ooh
I f*ck a b*tch, I forgot her name
I can't buy a b*tch no wedding ring
Rather go and buy Balmains

In this rap, there’s a line saying “My lean cost more than your rent, ooh
Your mama still live in a tent, yeah” . Why would one even care about how rich he is?

“Gucci Gang” peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and currently has over 522 million streams on YouTube.- Genius.com

So this is what we hear today! Majority of the people enjoy meaningless crap, not meaningful rap.

The next related rapper I found was a guy called “6ix9ine” and this guy’s words are just trash, you know why I say this? Take a look at his lyrics from “Gummo”,

N*ggas iffy, uh, Blicky got the stiffy, uh
Got the blicky, uh, drum it holds fifty, uh
Move milli, all my n*ggas on fifty, uh
Talk down, pew pew pew, you silly, uh
Hit a stain, fifty bands, all hunnids
Spinning through ya block like a pop shove it
Shoot at me I'm shooting back, I'm getting buckets
I ain't wanna take his life but n*gga, f*ck it

Most of his lyrics are just filled with vulgar. This is what we find about his “Gummo”

Controversial rapper 6ix9ine took over most of the North East with “Gummo,” especially in his native home of New York City where he raked in over five million streams.-Genius.com

In Hip-hop or any other genre, the lyrics must have some sense; it must have some emotional words that hit the listener. It must not be written with the same words repeating overtimes to lengthen the lyrics, like in “Desiigner’s” Panda rap. Almost half of the song is filled with the word “Panda”, and Trrr.. drrr… Iggy Azalea and Niki Minaj became famous just by using their body shape and sexy videos. In a way, Iggy is a disgrace to the hip-hop culture.

I’m not going to make a list of the worst rappers, but must not forget Tyga. Tyga is not one of the worst when compared to others, but is someone who’s stepping to their crew. Tyga has a good talent which he doesn’t use to do some good work and has a big desire to boast about his wealth; he enjoy doing things like melting gold chairs and turning it to toilets and exhibiting his gold and money. Tyga’s “Rack City” almost gives no sense to me,

Rack city, b*tch, rack rack city, b*tch
Ten, ten, ten, twenty on yo t*tt*es, b*tch
100 deep VIP, no guest list
T-T-Raw, you don't know who you f**kin' with
Got my other b*tch f**kin' with my other b*tch
F*ckin' all night, n*gga we ain't celibate
N*ggas say I'm too dope, I ain't sellin' it
But I'm fresher than a mo*****ckin' peppermint
Gold Lettermans, last king killin' sh*t
Y-Young Money, Young Money yeah, we gettin' rich
Got ya grandma on my d**k (haha)
Girl you know what it is

Rack city b*tch, rack rack city b*tch
Rack city b*tch, rack rack city b*tch
Rack city b*tch, rack rack city b*tch
Ten, ten, ten, twenties and them fifties b*tch

So, does it give a good message to the society? No.

And do you see the difference between real hip-hop and fake hip-hop? yes.

As you see, most rappers, their lyrics and their music videos are misleading the youth. The most tragic part of all of these is many young guys admire these kinds of rappers and say “That was on fire!” “That’s so cool!” Is it because they want to join the wave? Or, is it because they haven’t heard real hip-hop? Today, these kinds of rappers have lead many minds into sex and drugs. It’s pathetic!

Conclusion

What I want to show through this myTake is that, hip-hop needs some cleansing. People love Tupac for his valuable words; can little Pump, 6ix9ine or Tyga be loved the same as Tupac? We need artists who can give some inspiring words to the society; we don’t need rainbow mops, rainbow teeth and big booties to inspire the society. We need artists who can give good words and motivate the society to build up harmony, respect each other and to show what life is. Today, mostly we need artists who can lead the youth to a better future. Hip-hop needs a better community.

12
31
12Girl Opinion
31Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• EpicDweeb
    You asked why hip-hop is becoming dirty. The answer is, unfortunately simple... sex sells. Writers of hip hop and rap are usually in it for the money or the glory or the girls. How do they do that? They do it by making money, by selling people what they want to hear whether it's good or not. I don't think most modern day rappers can truly be considered artists, at least their work can't be considered art.

It's like painting a poor copy of an impressionistic painting that sold for a lot. It's not self-expression anymore. It's poorly copying someone else's premise in order to make money.

I think part of the appeal as well, is the promotion of irresponsibility found in a lot of modern rap and hip-hop. Hear me out. The songs you quoted by eminem and tupac are both about relationships, loyalties, and responsibilities. Eminem writes about trying to provide for his daughter, tupac writes about regret for how he treated his mama in the past and how much he sincerely loves her.

People don't want to be reminded of responsibilities. We don't like being told we have to live for something more than ourselves. "If you can't find something worth living for, find something worth dying for." Can we die for ourselves? No. The message of a lot of modern rap is "look at me! Watch how much money I have, how much I'm adored, watch how I can live for myself without consequences!" This is the mentality. I think due to the desire so many people have to live for themselves without responsibilities, modern raps appeal to them. Modern rap affirms them. It tells them the way they want to live is okay. It says "look how I turned out be living this way? I'm successful, and women love me!" Those who are focused on themselves generally seem to want those two things. They want women, success, and wealth.

What you and I consider to be GOOD rap, they reject because it doesn't appeal to the "live for self" mindset to which so many rap listeners cling. Nowadays even rappers who would otherwise write very deep songs likely won't because they simply aren't likely to succeed that way. I'm one of the only people I know who's tried writing a rap that wasn't about a past relationship or a breakup or something like that. I wrote it addressing suicide and about seeking to live for others rather than giving up on your own life. But living for others isn't a message people want to hear. In order to succeed musicians MUST give listeners what they want to hear.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • EpicDweeb

And if it wasn't clear... people DON'T want to hear that life isn't just about them.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1230
  • CoffeeWC
    This is kind of music is what happens when people get lazy.
  • MrMysteryMan
    I've been thinking this for years. To tell you the truth, I think it all started with Cash Money Records and their promotion of "money, money, money", as being what shows who is best in hip hop. Gone are the days of Death Row, Def Jam, Loud, and the such. Even So-So-Def and G-Unit wasn't that bad. But now it's just getting out of hand with the bling movement and young up and comers are taking note and following suite. It maybe something corporate is pushing, in that, money and sex and violence sells right? Fuck I just listen and tune out right away with these worthless garbage coming out now. I still listen to the "old school" where rappers were rappers and spit about real life things that happen to them. About dreams they had. About nightmares they went through. About what their lives were about, good or bad. Yeah they talked about money on occasion, or women, or gang violence, but it wasn't glorified. It was more about that was in their life and had to deal with it at some point, but then they still talked about other aspects important to them.

Anyhow, I'm sure there are still good ones in the mix. Eminem has ALWAYS been solid. I don't know if there is any rapper today actually better than he is really. Also, ones from before would tremble to go into a battle with him even, I'd venture to say. Even the ones before that captured the mainstream audience somehow like OutKast were extremely talented and way better than the garbage coming out today.
  • MlleCake
    Same argument we have been having about hip hop since it ever came into existence.

Part of hip hop is that it's gritty.

But I agree, it can be used to uplift people instead of just more dumb songs about shit that doesn't matter. Most popular music sounds dumb to me.
    Like 1 Person
  • madhatters4
    i think you are looking at one half of people like tupac and eminem. for every uplifting song eminem has there is a very dirty song. while tupac wrote songs like dear mama he also wrote songs that were very explicit about sexual treatment of women

rap hasn't become dirty in the late 80s and early 90s it became very popular to use rap about topics of sex, thug life, etc.

now it's just much more simpler and slightly less poetic but still rap has been dirty for a very LOOOONG time
    Like 2 People
  • Unit1
    100% wholeheartedly agreed! I feel the exact same!
    Rap and hip hop like they used to be were the real deal.
    Now some rappers come up rapping about trash and degeneracy. They have no fantasies whatsoever besides flashing their life. Not out of my jealousy but just saying.

But how is Kendrick Lamar a good rapper? in HUMBLE and DNA i see intersections of the low quality trashy rap.

---

This that I got, I got, I got, I got—
    Realness, I just kill shit ’cause it's in my DNA
    I got millions, I got riches buildin' in my DNA
    I got dark, I got evil, that rot inside my DNA
    I got off, I got troublesome heart inside my DNA
    [...]
    Bitch, your hormones prolly switch inside your DNA
    Problem is, all that sucker shit inside your DNA
    Daddy prolly snitched, heritage inside your DNA
    Backbone don't exist, born outside a jellyfish, I gauge
    [...]
    I got loyalty, got royalty inside my DNA
    I live a better life, I'm rollin' several dice, fuck your life
    I live a be-, fuck your life
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    This is my heritage, all I'm inheritin'
    Money and power, the maker of marriages

Tell me somethin'
    You mothafuckas can't tell me nothin'
    I'd rather die than to listen to you
    My DNA not for imitation
    Your DNA an abomination
    This how it is when you in the Matrix
    Dodgin' bullets, reapin' what you sow
    [...]
    Sentence on the way, killings on the way
    Motherfucker, I got winners on the way
    You ain't shit without a body on your belt
    You ain't shit without a ticket on your plate
    You ain't sick enough to pull it on yourself
    You ain't rich enough to hit the lot and skate
    Tell me when destruction gonna be my fate
    Gonna be your fate, gonna be our faith
    Peace to the world, let it rotate
    Sex, money, murder—our DNA
    • Unit1

Here's more from him (trashy)

Girl, I can buy yo' ass the world with my paystub
      Ooh, that pussy good, won't you sit it on my taste bloods?
      I get way too petty once you let me do the extras
      Pull up on your block, then break it down: we playin' Tetris
      A. M. to the P. M., P. M. to the A. M., funk
      Piss out your per diem, you just gotta hate 'em, funk
      If I quit your BM, I still ride Mercedes, funk
      If I quit this season, I still be the greatest, funk
      My left stroke just went viral
      Right stroke put lil' baby in a spiral
      Soprano C, we like to keep it on a high note
      It's levels to it, you and I know

Bitch, be humble (Hol’ up, bitch)
      Sit down (Hol’ up, lil', hol’ up, lil' bitch)
      Be humble (Hol' up, bitch)
      Sit down (Hol' up, sit down, lil’, sit down, lil' bitch)
      Be humble (Hol' up, hol' up)
      Bitch, sit down (Hol' up, hol' up, lil' bitch)
      Be humble (Lil' bitch, hol' up, bitch)
      Sit down (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up)
      Be humble (Hol' up, hol' up)
      Sit down (Hol' up, hol' up, lil', hol' up, lil' bitch)
      Be humble (Hol' up, bitch)
      Sit down (Hol' up, sit down, lil', sit down, lil' bitch)
      Be humble (Hol' up, hol' up)
      Be humble (Lil' bitch, hol' up, bitch)

Who dat nigga thinkin' that he frontin' on Man-Man? (Man-Man)
      Get the fuck off my stage, I'm the Sandman (Sandman)
      Get the fuck off my dick, that ain't right
      I make a play fucking up your whole life
      I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of the Photoshop

• lilaqua
    There were always good and bad artists. Most of the time we forget all of the shit that was popular at the time as well as deify and look with rose coloured glasses towards the past. I'm actually under the impression that a lot of the new rap is largely, less dirty than generations before. With the advent of sad rap, I'm thinking drake and tyler the creator's new record flower boy. Yeah you've got that shitty cloud rap, but we're always going to need vapid party music that hasn't changed.
    • I had the same toughts, but regarding sexuality, its definitely a lot dirtier today.

Nowadays there are so few rap videos without half naked girls.

• blasiangirl12
    But hip hop has always been like this. Eminem and Tupac have both made dirty songs. Tupac has songs like 'how do you want it' and 'I get around'. So this isn't anything new. They really have evolved from the old artists. Other artists like 50 cent, Snoop Dogg etc. all have at least 3 songs talking about sex, drugs etc.
    • Yeah but those artists also have a lot of really good and toughtful songs.

Currentlt its the other way around.

I like j cole's music tough. He is somewhat deep

• MysteriousDarkness
    Rap has had sexual, violent lyrics for a long time.

2 LIVE CREW
    Sir Mix-A-Lot
    Khia
    N. W. A.
    Gravediggaz
    Many others

Like 1 Person
    • DarkBlack9

Yes, I know. What I want to show through this myTake is that rappers can write something meaningful other than this garbage.

• Josht13
    Dude you gotta have some variation music you play in a party is not the same as when you're trying to chill. Gucci gang absolutely bangs, I'm not always trying to decipher music Gucci gang is meant to be a catchy brainless banger and that's exactly what it is and that's why I like it.

Also there's more than one sub-genre of hip-hop you want more substantial hip-hop these days listen to: kendrik Lamar, CLPPNG, death grips (kinda), Jpegmafia and big K. R. I. T
    Like 1 Person
  • NeglectedChild
    78.media.tumblr.com/...m81k017nEG1rw47tho1_400.gif
    You're conflating Hip-Hop with Rap.
    These juvenile delinquents don't represent Hip-Hop. They're trash.

Hip-Hop is a reflection of reality from a first person subjective narrative on life. And life's a bitch.
  • DanoMR98
    Honestly, I really like the newish trend of emo rap. little Peep, XXXtentacion, Horsehead, 6lack, little Uzi Vert, etc

I think you're half right, OP. I like fun rap, I love stuff like Kanye and Run The Jewels, but there is a certain portion of the rap genre that's declining in quality.
  • Sataya
    Emimem and Tupac are in the top 5 all-time great rappers list, so mainstream rappers today outside of Logic, Akala, Lupe Fiasco, or Kendrick Lamar lack the talent to produce good inspirational music. Blame the music producers that love to rack in easy money, the general public that loves it , and Pop music that was dirty long before Hip-Hop.
  • reixun
    Gangsta rap is a different sub-genre than the likes of 6ix9ine and Desiigner. Trap is valid on it’s own and it’s okay that you don’t like it, but it’s emphasis on beats rather than lyrics is it’s defining factor. This a post-Lil Uzi world, rappers can dye their hair and be weird now.

• BeHappy1985
    First of all the RAP industry has never been "clean" and it never will be. Second of all many rappers makes what sells, and what sells right now is mostly garbage. in my opinion it is the youth that is to be blamed.
    Like 4 People
  • Rainie_
    Hiphops always been dirty but because of the shit rappers today I prefer listening to artists on soundcloud that haven’t been struck by fame and arrogance and therefore stick to the deeper topics (not all do but many more than the mainstream artists). I find that once rappers become famous they suddenly turn shallow and unrelatable and instead starts singing about all the bitches and money they get. It’s just so repetitive and boring now drives me insane, worse when the song has a nice beat but the lyrics are just shit
    Like 2 People
  • lord_chilled
    didn't know how bad it was generationwise until i listened to some old rakim songs.

I haven't been too much into rap.

But i used to think that tupac, biggie and later eminem were kinda geniuses anyway and other than tma few talents like those, todays rappers are no different.

But old school rappers really told stories.
    Todays rappers make bragporn.
  • Prof_Don
    Hip hop has almost always had R-rated language in the music. Mainly because the origins of the music was in urban neighborhoods where there was a lot of negativity... and hip hop music was a way to describe living in those conditions in music form.
  • ovoxo_
    Bro you started of with Eminem so I knew you'd start recalling old ass outdated music and so I didn't need to read any further,

Hip hop is fine the way it is. Don't like it? Listen to something else (I'm literally listening to 69's newest song right now).
    Disagree 2 People
  • Jaye234
    Rap has been "dirty" since the genre developed.

Remember three 6 mafia, bone thugs n harmony, dr. dre, master p- the list goes on
    Like 1 Person
  • Max_winner1
    I find that men and women who listen to the dirty music will have the same outlook towards their men or women.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
  • Show More (22)