Why is Hip-Hop Becoming Dirty? The Industry Needs Some Cleaning!

Why Hip-Hop is Becoming Dirty? The Industry Needs Some Cleaning!

When I was little, I remember listening to Eminem’s ‘Mockingbird’ song, and it hit me hard though I didn’t know what exactly he was saying. The only thing I knew about the song was that, a little girl’s mama had left her. As I grew up, at the age of 14 I developed a taste for hip-hop and started listening to rap songs, writing lyrics and making beats. Along with a lot of inspiring and motivating songs, I found that a lot of ‘wanna-be’ rappers evolving to eat the industry.

First of all what I want to say is that, a lot of newly evolving artists and fame fallen artists are craving for top ranks, well, that should happen, but the problem is that they’re not doing it in the right way. Why? Because, they use the topics like sex, drugs, booty etc. to come up through the competition. And, you can see rappers like Tyga boasting about how much money he’s got while Iggy Azalea keeps cashing her booty. A talented rapper does not need drugs, sex and music videos with half dressed girls to reach a top rank and gain fame. What he needs is just his talent in rapping and writing lyrics.

Marshal Mathers or simply Eminem is an aggressive person sometimes using strong language, but his words are inspiring and are still pleasant to keep listening. This is a part from his rap “Mockingbird”,

Hailie I know you miss your mom and I know you miss your dad
When I'm gone but I'm trying to give you the life that I never had
I can see you're sad, even when you smile, even when you laugh
I can see it in your eyes, deep inside you want to cry
'Cause you're scared, I ain't there?
Daddy's with you in your prayers
No more crying, wipe them tears
Daddy's here, no more nightmares

In this rap he talks to his little daughter to comfort her during the time where their mother had left them.

It's funny
I remember back one year when daddy had no money
Mommy wrapped the Christmas presents up
And stuck 'em under the tree and said some of 'em were from me
'Cause daddy couldn't buy 'em
I'll never forget that Christmas I sat up the whole night crying
'Cause daddy felt like a bum, see daddy had a job
But his job was to keep the food on the table for you and mom
And at the time every house that we lived in
Either kept getting broke into and robbed
Or shot up on the block and your mom was saving money for you in a jar
Tryin' to start a piggy bank for you so you could go to college
Almost had a thousand dollars till someone broke in and stole it
And I know it hurt so bad it broke your momma's heart

Here, Eminem talks about the hard times when he was poor. In this rap he tells his story to his daughter and says that he’ll be there for her and will take care of her.

Hip-hop has ties to guns, gangs and street life that’s true, but, that doesn’t mean hip-hop is a disastrous genre, hip-hop is there to show what’s life is like. A good example is Tupac Shakur’s “Dear Mama”.

You are appreciated

When I was young me and my mama had beef

Seventeen years old kicked out on the streets

Though back at the time, I never thought I'd see her face

Ain't a woman alive that could take my mama's place

Suspended from school, and scared to go home, I was a fool

With the big boys, breaking all the rules

I shed tears with my baby sister

Over the years we was poorer than the other little kids

And even though we had different daddy's, the same drama

When things went wrong we'd blame mama

I reminisce on the stress I caused, it was hell

Hugging on my mama from a jail cell

And who'd think in elementary?

Hey! I see the penitentiary…..

In this rap he talks about all the struggles he and his family had to face. His mama was a single mother on drugs having to take care of two kids, Tupac and his sister. But still this lady gave heaps of love to her two kids. He talks about his growing up with thugs and how he never thought he would be locked up in the state pen in the line “and hey who think in elementary, one day i'd see the penitentiary”. So, this is a very inspiring rap you can listen to. At the end he says,

Dear mama

Don't you know I love you?

Dear mama

Place no one above you

Oh mama, I appreciate you

Although my shadow's gone

I will never leave you

I appreciate you

I love you

I need you

Oh mama

See, Tupac was also a thug but how emotional his words are? This is what real rap songs are like. Real hip-hop also includes Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa, NF, Wu Tang Clan and many more. Sorry, I’m not going to add more lyrics for I’ve got to show you how this industry is getting messed up.

Recently I listened to this rap “Gucci Gang” from an artist called “Lil-Pump” and I was like “So that was a rap?” This man with colorful hair was just rapping out some dumb words,

Gucci Gang, ooh, yeah, little Pump, yeah, Gucci Gang, ooh

Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang
Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang (Gucci gang!)
Spend ten racks on a new chain
My b*tch love do cocaine, ooh
I f*ck a b*tch, I forgot her name
I can't buy a b*tch no wedding ring
Rather go and buy Balmains

In this rap, there’s a line saying “My lean cost more than your rent, ooh
Your mama still live in a tent, yeah” . Why would one even care about how rich he is?

“Gucci Gang” peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and currently has over 522 million streams on YouTube.- Genius.com

So this is what we hear today! Majority of the people enjoy meaningless crap, not meaningful rap.

The next related rapper I found was a guy called “6ix9ine” and this guy’s words are just trash, you know why I say this? Take a look at his lyrics from “Gummo”,

N*ggas iffy, uh, Blicky got the stiffy, uh
Got the blicky, uh, drum it holds fifty, uh
Move milli, all my n*ggas on fifty, uh
Talk down, pew pew pew, you silly, uh
Hit a stain, fifty bands, all hunnids
Spinning through ya block like a pop shove it
Shoot at me I'm shooting back, I'm getting buckets
I ain't wanna take his life but n*gga, f*ck it

Most of his lyrics are just filled with vulgar. This is what we find about his “Gummo”

Controversial rapper 6ix9ine took over most of the North East with “Gummo,” especially in his native home of New York City where he raked in over five million streams.-Genius.com

In Hip-hop or any other genre, the lyrics must have some sense; it must have some emotional words that hit the listener. It must not be written with the same words repeating overtimes to lengthen the lyrics, like in “Desiigner’s” Panda rap. Almost half of the song is filled with the word “Panda”, and Trrr.. drrr… Iggy Azalea and Niki Minaj became famous just by using their body shape and sexy videos. In a way, Iggy is a disgrace to the hip-hop culture.

I’m not going to make a list of the worst rappers, but must not forget Tyga. Tyga is not one of the worst when compared to others, but is someone who’s stepping to their crew. Tyga has a good talent which he doesn’t use to do some good work and has a big desire to boast about his wealth; he enjoy doing things like melting gold chairs and turning it to toilets and exhibiting his gold and money. Tyga’s “Rack City” almost gives no sense to me,

Rack city, b*tch, rack rack city, b*tch
Ten, ten, ten, twenty on yo t*tt*es, b*tch
100 deep VIP, no guest list
T-T-Raw, you don't know who you f**kin' with
Got my other b*tch f**kin' with my other b*tch
F*ckin' all night, n*gga we ain't celibate
N*ggas say I'm too dope, I ain't sellin' it
But I'm fresher than a mo*****ckin' peppermint
Gold Lettermans, last king killin' sh*t
Y-Young Money, Young Money yeah, we gettin' rich
Got ya grandma on my d**k (haha)
Girl you know what it is

Rack city b*tch, rack rack city b*tch
Rack city b*tch, rack rack city b*tch
Rack city b*tch, rack rack city b*tch
Ten, ten, ten, twenties and them fifties b*tch

So, does it give a good message to the society? No.

And do you see the difference between real hip-hop and fake hip-hop? yes.

As you see, most rappers, their lyrics and their music videos are misleading the youth. The most tragic part of all of these is many young guys admire these kinds of rappers and say “That was on fire!” “That’s so cool!” Is it because they want to join the wave? Or, is it because they haven’t heard real hip-hop? Today, these kinds of rappers have lead many minds into sex and drugs. It’s pathetic!

Conclusion

What I want to show through this myTake is that, hip-hop needs some cleansing. People love Tupac for his valuable words; can little Pump, 6ix9ine or Tyga be loved the same as Tupac? We need artists who can give some inspiring words to the society; we don’t need rainbow mops, rainbow teeth and big booties to inspire the society. We need artists who can give good words and motivate the society to build up harmony, respect each other and to show what life is. Today, mostly we need artists who can lead the youth to a better future. Hip-hop needs a better community.

1230
DarkBlack9 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• You asked why hip-hop is becoming dirty. The answer is, unfortunately simple... sex sells. Writers of hip hop and rap are usually in it for the money or the glory or the girls. How do they do that? They do it by making money, by selling people what they want to hear whether it's good or not. I don't think most modern day rappers can truly be considered artists, at least their work can't be considered art.

It's like painting a poor copy of an impressionistic painting that sold for a lot. It's not self-expression anymore. It's poorly copying someone else's premise in order to make money.

I think part of the appeal as well, is the promotion of irresponsibility found in a lot of modern rap and hip-hop. Hear me out. The songs you quoted by eminem and tupac are both about relationships, loyalties, and responsibilities. Eminem writes about trying to provide for his daughter, tupac writes about regret for how he treated his mama in the past and how much he sincerely loves her.

People don't want to be reminded of responsibilities. We don't like being told we have to live for something more than ourselves. "If you can't find something worth living for, find something worth dying for." Can we die for ourselves? No. The message of a lot of modern rap is "look at me! Watch how much money I have, how much I'm adored, watch how I can live for myself without consequences!" This is the mentality. I think due to the desire so many people have to live for themselves without responsibilities, modern raps appeal to them. Modern rap affirms them. It tells them the way they want to live is okay. It says "look how I turned out be living this way? I'm successful, and women love me!" Those who are focused on themselves generally seem to want those two things. They want women, success, and wealth.

What you and I consider to be GOOD rap, they reject because it doesn't appeal to the "live for self" mindset to which so many rap listeners cling. Nowadays even rappers who would otherwise write very deep songs likely won't because they simply aren't likely to succeed that way. I'm one of the only people I know who's tried writing a rap that wasn't about a past relationship or a breakup or something like that. I wrote it addressing suicide and about seeking to live for others rather than giving up on your own life. But living for others isn't a message people want to hear. In order to succeed musicians MUST give listeners what they want to hear.

• And if it wasn't clear... people DON'T want to hear that life isn't just about them.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 12

• Same argument we have been having about hip hop since it ever came into existence.

Part of hip hop is that it's gritty.

But I agree, it can be used to uplift people instead of just more dumb songs about shit that doesn't matter. Most popular music sounds dumb to me.

• There were always good and bad artists. Most of the time we forget all of the shit that was popular at the time as well as deify and look with rose coloured glasses towards the past. I'm actually under the impression that a lot of the new rap is largely, less dirty than generations before. With the advent of sad rap, I'm thinking drake and tyler the creator's new record flower boy. Yeah you've got that shitty cloud rap, but we're always going to need vapid party music that hasn't changed.

• I had the same toughts, but regarding sexuality, its definitely a lot dirtier today.

Nowadays there are so few rap videos without half naked girls.

• But hip hop has always been like this. Eminem and Tupac have both made dirty songs. Tupac has songs like 'how do you want it' and 'I get around'. So this isn't anything new. They really have evolved from the old artists. Other artists like 50 cent, Snoop Dogg etc. all have at least 3 songs talking about sex, drugs etc.

• Yeah but those artists also have a lot of really good and toughtful songs.

Currentlt its the other way around.

I like j cole's music tough. He is somewhat deep

• Hiphops always been dirty but because of the shit rappers today I prefer listening to artists on soundcloud that haven’t been struck by fame and arrogance and therefore stick to the deeper topics (not all do but many more than the mainstream artists). I find that once rappers become famous they suddenly turn shallow and unrelatable and instead starts singing about all the bitches and money they get. It’s just so repetitive and boring now drives me insane, worse when the song has a nice beat but the lyrics are just shit

• Gangsta rap is a different sub-genre than the likes of 6ix9ine and Desiigner. Trap is valid on it’s own and it’s okay that you don’t like it, but it’s emphasis on beats rather than lyrics is it’s defining factor. This a post-Lil Uzi world, rappers can dye their hair and be weird now.

• Rap has been "dirty" since the genre developed.

Remember three 6 mafia, bone thugs n harmony, dr. dre, master p- the list goes on

• Start supporting and encouraging talented artistes then.

• hiphop artists these days seem to be going for either the dorky or the fruity pebbles look. back in my day they were just badass thugs.

• Hip-Hop has been "dirty" for a long time, honey.

• Rap has been dirty since the 90's.

• It's atrocious

• Oh it does really need cleaning!

What Guys Said 29

• This is kind of music is what happens when people get lazy.

• I've been thinking this for years. To tell you the truth, I think it all started with Cash Money Records and their promotion of "money, money, money", as being what shows who is best in hip hop. Gone are the days of Death Row, Def Jam, Loud, and the such. Even So-So-Def and G-Unit wasn't that bad. But now it's just getting out of hand with the bling movement and young up and comers are taking note and following suite. It maybe something corporate is pushing, in that, money and sex and violence sells right? Fuck I just listen and tune out right away with these worthless garbage coming out now. I still listen to the "old school" where rappers were rappers and spit about real life things that happen to them. About dreams they had. About nightmares they went through. About what their lives were about, good or bad. Yeah they talked about money on occasion, or women, or gang violence, but it wasn't glorified. It was more about that was in their life and had to deal with it at some point, but then they still talked about other aspects important to them.

Anyhow, I'm sure there are still good ones in the mix. Eminem has ALWAYS been solid. I don't know if there is any rapper today actually better than he is really. Also, ones from before would tremble to go into a battle with him even, I'd venture to say. Even the ones before that captured the mainstream audience somehow like OutKast were extremely talented and way better than the garbage coming out today.

• i think you are looking at one half of people like tupac and eminem. for every uplifting song eminem has there is a very dirty song. while tupac wrote songs like dear mama he also wrote songs that were very explicit about sexual treatment of women

rap hasn't become dirty in the late 80s and early 90s it became very popular to use rap about topics of sex, thug life, etc.

now it's just much more simpler and slightly less poetic but still rap has been dirty for a very LOOOONG time

• Dude you gotta have some variation music you play in a party is not the same as when you're trying to chill. Gucci gang absolutely bangs, I'm not always trying to decipher music Gucci gang is meant to be a catchy brainless banger and that's exactly what it is and that's why I like it.

Also there's more than one sub-genre of hip-hop you want more substantial hip-hop these days listen to: kendrik Lamar, CLPPNG, death grips (kinda), Jpegmafia and big K. R. I. T

• 78.media.tumblr.com/...m81k017nEG1rw47tho1_400.gif
    You're conflating Hip-Hop with Rap.
    These juvenile delinquents don't represent Hip-Hop. They're trash.

Hip-Hop is a reflection of reality from a first person subjective narrative on life. And life's a bitch.

• First of all the RAP industry has never been "clean" and it never will be. Second of all many rappers makes what sells, and what sells right now is mostly garbage. in my opinion it is the youth that is to be blamed.

• Rap has had sexual, violent lyrics for a long time.

2 LIVE CREW
    Sir Mix-A-Lot
    Khia
    N. W. A.
    Gravediggaz
    Many others

• Yes, I know. What I want to show through this myTake is that rappers can write something meaningful other than this garbage.

• Bro you started of with Eminem so I knew you'd start recalling old ass outdated music and so I didn't need to read any further,

Hip hop is fine the way it is. Don't like it? Listen to something else (I'm literally listening to 69's newest song right now).

• didn't know how bad it was generationwise until i listened to some old rakim songs.

I haven't been too much into rap.

But i used to think that tupac, biggie and later eminem were kinda geniuses anyway and other than tma few talents like those, todays rappers are no different.

But old school rappers really told stories.
    Todays rappers make bragporn.

• Honestly, I really like the newish trend of emo rap. little Peep, XXXtentacion, Horsehead, 6lack, little Uzi Vert, etc

I think you're half right, OP. I like fun rap, I love stuff like Kanye and Run The Jewels, but there is a certain portion of the rap genre that's declining in quality.

• Emimem and Tupac are in the top 5 all-time great rappers list, so mainstream rappers today outside of Logic, Akala, Lupe Fiasco, or Kendrick Lamar lack the talent to produce good inspirational music. Blame the music producers that love to rack in easy money, the general public that loves it , and Pop music that was dirty long before Hip-Hop.

• Hip hop has almost always had R-rated language in the music. Mainly because the origins of the music was in urban neighborhoods where there was a lot of negativity... and hip hop music was a way to describe living in those conditions in music form.

• I find that men and women who listen to the dirty music will have the same outlook towards their men or women.

• The problem is the lazy attempt of effort. Hip hop, Rap, Rock, Classical, etc. defined the highest quality of music. The summit has already been surpassed and it's a shitty autotuned ride down..

• The rap industry has never been clean. When you mention mockingbird you are talking about when eminem was trying to move into POP music dude.
    If you go back 10yrs to his first EP you may have realized that he as and endless amount of songs that talk about raping people to death and what not.

The rap industry has always been full of self snitching so a lot of these guys are always talking about everything they own and their power. Don't worry though, 99% of them are just geeks with business plans. They organize rumors and fake violence reports. Don't worry, 50cents scar on his face isn't from a bullet grazing him, It's just entertainment.

• I never cared for hip hop. Just a genre consisting of wogs and black cunts shouting rubbish into a microphone, about how sorrowful and shit their lives are!

• It's not because of the cussing or the profanity. It's because of trappers like 21 savage and little yachty. We need them gone. and then it will be cleansed.

• Views on youtube or legacy? Legacy counts, youtube views ! Meh. I've heard many complain about this Gucci whatever , all i saw is the SNL parody and am not gonna watch this shit no matter what. They can wish to be the half of KRS1 , prodigy killer mike, Talibb Kweli, Nas , Big Pun, the list is a little bit long nit full with unique voices and styles. I can few names of the new shit rappers names now days like migos. I have no idea what they sing and i don't care. Hip hop never was clean in the first place, it was nasty as the real world is, brought people together, it was like fighting back but lyrics and facts and talent with tons of pain. Youtube views? I can't compare views with fame, in this case PSY is the god of everything. There is meaning, reason, talent, pain, reality and love, of course money but comparing it to now days shit, old is gold phrase would never existed so does old skool phrase.

• every generation ever had people like these who made music like this, there's a time and place for every music
    those songs by Pump, 6ix9ine are great in clubs, would i listen to em otherwise? no
    but whos going to party to Mockingbird? nobody, except maybe at an old school hip hop party, then again i dont think so

there's artists like Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Logic etc.. still doing the biggest numbers in hip hop sale wise talking about more serious subject matter...

AS the other guy mentioned, even tupac and kendrick lamar have ignorant songs... Eminem does too lmao

THERE IS A TIME AND PLACE FOR EVERYTHING

tbh, people like you who write these look very pretentious and cringeworthy lol

• Hip hop music is trash and will always be trash. The songs make no coherent sense.

• So you can join the other 98% of the gag community who has never listened to rap in their life

• Hip hop is, and always has been, music for idiots, losers, degenerates and convicted criminals! Why don't you try listening to some great classic music that will actually cleanse your polluted soul and make you feel uplifted? Try these songs on for size:

The Moody Blues - You & Me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rl8zCYy7HU

Yes - And You And I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eaVTnhtUfw

Neil Diamond - Be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evht41pyNGU

• That is what hip hop is, and has always been.

• What you fail to understand is that ironically hip hop started out with repeated phrases & hooks & I am from NYC so when youisten to these new age rappers repeating shook or a specific phrase its a somewhat reminiscent of the old school NYC artists back in the late 70's

All music needs variety & sub genres & I'm glad hip hop expanded the way it did in the past 20-30 years

On top of that these new age cats are making $$$... there paying their bills, living the life you think they care about our opinions?

• It's origins are traced back to the 1960's NYS prison system.

• Hip hop is always evolving. That's what's so great about it. I grew up with the old heads of hip hop and loved it. I appreciate the new generation of hip hop with their new sound. I don't like them all but there was some trash hip hop back then too. People have to understand that hip hop can't stay in one place. One of the things I will miss is the localization of hip hop. I remember when every part of the U. S. had different sounds of hip hop. From the Jazz infuse boom bap of the east coast, west coast's g funk to the dirty south bass. Now it's really a mesh of different genres/sound because of the availability of the internet. I don't know that's just me though.

• Because dirty sells. You can talk about there being too much sex, jailbait, violence, sexism etc in hip hop but as long as it sells it don't matter. The amount of feminists I know that bitch about a patriarchal soceity that degrades women and judges thrir worth by their attractiveness yet whenever yet when Robin thicke or Pitbull or nelly comes on they rush to the dance floor.

• Wow, why are they making rap music so retarded? I grew up listening to songs like 'my block' & shit, what is this repetitive nonsense?

I honestly didn't know because I never bothered to listen to these new rappers because they look like nightmares, but now I just feel like my initial judgement was completely valid. I'm just gonna listen to my classics in rap music & let the youth disprove its worth through its consumer choices.

I also hate Iggy by the way, not for anything valid or artistic, but cause she doesn't pass that big ass around to white dudes.

• I think a lot of it is just for shock value these days. The more controversy they can create, the more attention they get from the stupid media and kids.