Old Disturbing Art

I always found art a boring subject in school. Never wanting to study it, only create it. When I eventually got into it, it wasn't the boring old Mona Lisa or Starry Night that did it (Two paintings that are good but terribly over-rated). No, it was the lesser known ones they fail to teach you about in school. So here are a few I find both fascinating and terrifying.

The Nightmare - Henry Fuseli

Fuseli's most famous painting, The Nightmare, may not seem creepy in the traditional sense. The incubus, by today's standards, looks a little like a cartoonish gremlin, for example. But the dream-like, surreal quality of the piece has kept its legacy alive. Even during the artist's lifetime, the work was so popular that he created an even creepier alternate version.

Old Disturbing Art

Judith Beheading Holofernes – Caravaggio

In the deuterocanonical Biblical story of Judith and Holofernes, Judith charms Holofernes with her beauty, gets him drunk, and then decapitates him, just like an episode of Game of Thrones. While the story has inspired hundreds of artists throughout history, Caravaggio's is easily one of the most gruesome interpretations.

Old Disturbing Art

Saturn Devouring His Son – Francis Goya

In Greek mythology, the titan Cronus (Saturn in Roman texts), fearing that he would be overthrown by his children as he had usurped his own father, began swallowing each of them whole. (They're later purged, still alive, by Zeus.) However, in Goya's take on the tale, painted as a mural on the wall of his own house, a deranged-looking Cronus violently consumes them piece by piece instead.

Old Disturbing Art

Anatomical Pieces - Théodore Géricault

This is but one of a series of works featuring disembodied body parts (including a painting of a pair of severed heads, equally as unsettling as this one) painted by French artist Théodore Géricault. The most disturbing part is that all the paintings were based on real model remains Géricault acquired from the Paris Morgue.

Old Disturbing Art

The Triumph of Death - Pieter Bruegel the Elder

An army of skeletons attacks peasants and royalty alike in Bruegel's The Triumph of Death. Every inch of the painting presents some new horror committed by the army of death. Although it's commonly mistaken as being a depiction of the Black Plague, it was actually painted over 200 years later.

Old Disturbing Art

The Garden of Earthly Delights - Hieronymous Bosch

This is but a detailed view of just one part of Bosch's famous Garden of Earthly Delights. The original is a triptych--a single work split among three panels--and the section here is merely from the bottom-right of the right-hand panel.

Old Disturbing Art

1016

Most Helpful Guys

• I think good art has a contrast of light and shade. Which is why most people are put off by art because most art is presented in its light form.

Personally, I always found the Rubens saturn devouring his son more disturbing. In fact, I had a nightmare to this effect of a friend sucking the life out of me.

Old Disturbing Art

Most Helpful Girls

• Man love this myTake and these paintings! Thanks for sharing the underrated stuff.

• That Francis Goya guy must have been mental. A twisted guy. I cringed when I saw his painting. Very disturbing.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 14

• Interesting! : ) I think we've the same taste when it comes to art. It's the pieces full of action that's interesting and fascinating. They never gets boring.

• I really like these pieces of art, one reason why as you sort of stated by comparing it to paintings that are content wise plain, is that these depict part of a story or something that we don't normally see. The gore ones like the anatomical pieces seem a little plain to me because I am used to gore from work and other stuff.

• There’s a lot of disturbing depictions of Saturn
    Old Disturbing Art

• Add this to your collection

• The Triumph of Death always freaked me out; so much going on in that painting. :o

• I like Bruegel. You're not supposed to like this kind of stuff until you're old and cynical like me.

• These are great, grotesque is definitely the most interesting style to me

• Bosch must have been one twisted guy.

• These look like some medieval witches painted them

• These are quite fascinating.

• Show more from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 8