What do you think of Natalie Portman’s speech at Variety's Power of Women event?

Last week Natalie Portman gave a speech at the Variety's Power of Women event.
Natalie Portman’s Variety’s speech
Natalie Portman’s Variety’s speech
Natalie Portman has some choice words for men who have a habit of calling women “crazy” or “difficult.”
Stop the rhetoric that a woman is crazy or difficult,” said Portman. “If a man says to you that a woman is crazy or difficult, ask him, ‘What bad thing did you do to her?’”
What do you think, what is your opinion about it?
  • Yes I agree with her.
    Vote A
  • No, I don’t agree with her
    Vote B
  • Just checking...
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Pretty lady but. . . I was married to a woman who had a similar philosophy. Everything that I did that met her disapproval was my fault. Everything that she did that met my disapproval was something that she did as a response to some bad behavior on my part, so her actions were my fault, too.

Essentially, everything was my fault. It is impossible to have a successful relationship when one partner takes no responsibility for their behavior. This is an example of "feminist" thinking taken to an extreme.

1|4
    0|0
  • The problem with that comment, is that it's entirely one-sided.

Turn it around, and it becomes "If a man is an asshole, ask yourself what you did to him.". The logical conclusion to that becomes, if a man beats his wife, then she must have deserved it.

Now, obviously, that's a load of bull. I'm just using it as a counter-argument. Change the genders, and it sounds completely unreasonable. Everyone is responsible for their own actions, period. If you're crazy, abusive, violent, etc, then that's your fault, and nobody else's.

Some people suck, but nobody can make you act a certain way. Only you can control the way you act, and what you say, so that's your responsibility. If a woman is crazy, then she's crazy. If a man is crazy, then he's crazy.

Blaming it on someone else is childish, and that's exactly what her quote is advocating doing; saying it's someone else's fault.

1|5
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• So I'm guessing that if a woman straight up abuses her husband and/or child, is an alcoholic, or is neglectful, and when the guy tries to talk about just how abusive she is, throwing in the "She's crazy man...", we should just dismiss his opinion because it was obviously his fault. Way to blame the victim here. I am so sick of hearing misandristic attitude, thinking that all women should be absolved of sin and that males are all satan. Just think about what would happen if the genders were swapped, the guy would get in jail instantly, but now that its a woman she's innocent. Of course everything should be judged on a case by case basis, but Natalie is obviously trying to generalize all of these cases into one.

0|7
    0|1
    • If only more women did see eye to eye with you, I'm tired be categorized, evil, just wants sex, well his a man so of course.

• Uh, no. Not all, but some women are just bat-shit crazy or have difficult personalities. Nobody is perfect in this world, so I think it's silly to assume every woman is a perfect angel.

1|8
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 136

• Depends on what you consider as crazy

0|5
    0|0
  • Sounds like my mother. "If a woman stabs her husband 50 times in the chest, it's because the husband did something to make her do it" Direct quote.

That kind of thinking is actually really undermining to women, because it presumes that women have no real decision making capability on their own. This is a very common perception in society.

Society views women as "objects"--but not in a dehumanizing sense. And society views men as "agents". Objects are acted upon--they do not act. Agents act; they are not acted upon. That's basically the statement that Natalie Portman is making, it seems to me. If she was making a joke, okay, meh. But if it was serious, I think that is a very insulting thing to say about women.

Another thing is women as a whole do tend to have a lot of cognitive dissonance and really are just confusing, do they not? Dichotomous, maintaining two different beliefs or thoughts at the same time. It's *very* common. That's just female nature, in my opinion. A lot of women *are* crazy and difficult.

But, let's say that's not the case. Presuming that a woman is instantly free of all responsibility for her actions, and that the only way she can commit an action is if a man influences her to do so: this is quite insulting to women, would you not agree? I don't think Natalie Portman realizes exactly what her statement implies.

She's trying to say "women are perfect, so long as men don't fuck it up." But at the same time, she's also saying that women have no free will.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what crazy is. And what it does. And what caused it.

I'm slow to just categorize a woman as crazy - even exes, as much as they did some nutty crap, or as much as they did some mean spirited, nasty, stuff, I've never been like "she was a crazy psycho b*tch." I just... don't bother with them.

Both we broke up because of issues they had, partly from other stupid morons ruining what they could have been (cheating multiple times, etc)... nothing they deserved... but I was the guy to get revenge on, or I was the guy they thought was going to do that (so preemptively sabotage a good thing). Nothing was related to anything I did to them.

To me, It's kind of like "blaming a victim" of abuse. Imagine that it was a story of an abusive guy beating on his girl (because it's never possible for a man to be abused, right?) and someone could say "What did YOU do to make him beat you to a pulp? You must have done SOMETHING..." Come on. Some people are just unbalanced. Some snap. Doesn't automatically make it your fault. Sometimes yes. But not always.

0|0
    0|0
  • Now apply that to every woman who claims men are assholes. Natalie Portman is a sexist hypocrite so her words are rather hollow. Men call women crazy because women tend to function emotionally rather then logically (its just what it is) and it confuses them as they generally (but obviously not always) don't. But again, if she is so up in arms about this, whats her stance on how men are constantly portrayed as monsters and bad people? I mean a guy joking that women are crazy because he can't understand how she operates is rather tame in comparison to say, acting as if domestic violence is exclusively perpetrated by men when it in fact is more likely to be commited by women. Its pretty tame in comparison when you have women screaming how ALL men are sexist misogynists, rapists and assholes to the point where grade school boys in places are being taught how to "not be rapists". So just curios where the line is drawn with her, because I've never seen her address the other side, the side she is standing on. So yeah, I'll take her words seriously when we stop living in a society that cannot stop bashing and belittling and emasculating boys and men at every god damn turn.

0|1
    0|1
  • While yes there are cases where this is true I don't really appreciate the rhetoric that a woman in a relationship's behavior is always the fault of the man
    Sometimes it is the man who is a jerk
    Sometimes it is woman who is a jerk
    Sometimes it is both...

1|4
    0|0
  • I'm not sure enough about the context or behind her thoughts/statements.

Unfortunately ,. I have had more than a couple experienced with different women in work settings where I couldn't resolve differences because the women made my position mute and adamant stance was a case of schovanism, of masogyni ; then refused to argue the case on it's merrits.
    I think that's an 'easy out' . And pretty sexist on the woman's part. And can be "Pretty Crazy"

0|1
    0|0
    • These comments are never made with context. They're general statements. There's no data, there's no evidence its just "Man didn't notice haircut... i'm writing an article about how stupid men are in Huffington Post in response."

• I happen to disagree. Women can psych men out, and men can psych women out. Disagreements and arguments can occur, but I think the real key to relationships is to have those disagreements and to find a way to move beyond them. No reason to break up the magic of our love because of a disagreement (unless it's really non-repairable in which case it's better to break up.)

0|0
    0|0
  • She still lives in a fantasy world if she really believes that.

I question everything anybody from Hollywood says, because a lot of them do what they do for their own job security. It's hard to get contracted by the biggest fruitcakes in the country if you don't at least pretend to agree with their ridiculous views. The music and video game industries are not much better in that regard.

0|0
    0|0
  • Rhetoric it is, on her part. What script is she stuck in where she thinks this is a priority problem anywhere? The CDC needs to dispatch a team to Hollywood as there seems to be a plague of mouth diarrhea sweeping the area.

0|3
    0|1
  • Her statement is not "women taking power", it's advocating negative stereotypes about women who cannot take responsibility for their own actions and emotions. Her statement is also "man shaming" and inappropriate.

0|3
    2|0
  • Women can be crazy and men can be crazy. I think it's stupid to imply that you can't use a word to describe a group of people. It's like when we were supposed to stop calling women bossy. Some women are bossy, that's a fact. In the same way some women are crazy but so are some men. I find it a little shady that she's implying that the only reason a women would seem crazy is because of something a man did to her.

0|2
    0|0
  • Bullshit. This presumes that all women are 100% angelic and virtuous. THEY ARE NOT! It is every bit as sexist to presume that women are always virtuous as it is to presume they are never virtuous. Some women are wronged, others are just evil bitches.

0|5
    0|0
  • I reject the entire thing. A "Power of Women event"? Really? I think all of these, agendas of breaking people up into their specific little ethnic and gender labels to promote all things black or white or woman are just ignorant.

Her statement? I don't even know what she's babbling about. I haven't been to any "pro man" rallies, I don't care for "pro black" rallies, I sure as hell don't give a crap about "pro women" rallies.

Divisive, dumb events.

0|1
    1|0
  • LOL, another angry feminazi with the "believe all women" mentality and all men are evil rapists. Just another goof celebrity that needs to remember people only listen to her because she plays make-belief for a living.

0|2
    1|0
  • I find a lot of the women that seem crazy are just reacting to bad experiences from the past and expecting the same outcomes from others. Not necessarily guys, but just relationships they've dealt with. The same can be said about how guys sometimes don't show emotion or as much care with women at certain times. Since perhaps those guys have had issues when sharing emotions or have been hurt in some way emotionally, and just are very protective of that happening again.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think men call women crazy or emotional, and women say men “mansplain”- both are unfair characterizations. Men shouldn’t say that to women, and women shouldn’t say that to men. If a guy mansplains to you, what did you do to cause it as a woman? If women don’t want to accept responsibility for causing it, men shouldn’t either. So Natalie, unless you’re willing to take responsibility, you’re just being hypocritical...

0|0
    1|0
    • What if she really is crazy? Batshit loony, makes up things that never happened and calls the authorities crazy?

• Show All
    • @HereIbe So, most crimes aren't a thing of motive and opportunity?

• Rapist is going to rape, but people should not give them any opportunity to do so.
      Stay in well lit places, stay with friends.
      I mean it's all common sense.

• Because it's always the man's fault, even when it's not.
    Woman goes crazy? Man's fault.
    She cheats? Man's fault.
    She can't succeed? That's right, man.

That's exactly why feminism failed so hard. No matter what the problem is, it's always because of men. Never look anywhere else for the reason, the reason is always men.

0|3
    1|0
  • If a woman rapes a man then proceeds to murder him, then the cops are supposed to ask her "What bad thing did you do to her?" and just let her go.
    really I think if it continue to go down that road the next feminist rally will ask for totally immunity for woman against any charges, even She kills 20 in return and I am really sorry to mention.
    When the man will have enough and they will try to retake everything violently, then who is gona save weak gender from anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like a typical feminist C*nt spewing anti-male bullshit, because they can't take responsibility for anything themselves and need to make men the reason women do anything negative.

How about women are capable of evil and vile acts without any male involvement.

0|1
    0|0
  • She's ignorant. Women are something like 40% more likely to develop mental illness in modern society. They have much high rates of being diagnosed with mental illnesses and there are a lot of medicated girls out there (something like 1 in 3). Some women exhibit crazy unwarrented behavior and sometimes you need to let them know what they are doing is abnormal so that they can reflect on how they are behaving.

0|0
    0|0
    • When you have an epidemic of mental illness happening in western society, it’s reasonable to believe that men have to deal with these sorts of behaviors on a regular basis and trying to constantly undermine men’s feelings and critically questioning their experiences is a shithead move (borderline abuse).

• Here in Australia, government statistics show that 25 per cent of adult females are on prescription psychiatric drugs.
      Ask any man who has tried the dating nightmare: there are a lot of crazy bitches out there.
      Given the way that women have been weaponised by the state, so that they can tell any lie and destroy any man, at any time, for any or no reason, it is better to stay well away from women.
      MGTOW monk.

• @BeMuse Finally someone gets it. . . .

• Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 42

• I half agree and half disagree. So many times men like to silence us and brush us off with comments like we're crazy or hysterical just for explaining our side or getting upset. On the other hand I know tons of women who are in fact fucking insane.

3|5
    0|1
    • Yup, the existence of asshole men doesn't mean there are no batshit women.

• Show All
    • @nathanp97 oh I didn't realize you knew all men my bad.

• @nathanp97 also didn't realize I said all men wow jeez I'm learning new shit every day. Wowie.

• She is generalizing but I know what she means. My friend dated this guy and he said that all his exes were crazy and then she realized that he was a manipulative, egotistical toxic piece of garbage who is now off telling his new girlfriend that his previous girlfriend was crazy.

My ex was garbage too, here's a close to word for word conversation.
    ME : "We need to talk."
    HIM: "yeah what"
    "I take issue with how you spoke to me in front of my mum"
    "HA like I care about what your mother thinks*continues playing xbox*"
    "... SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!"
    " 0.0 *baffled and confused look* (seemed to be thinking: woahhhh woahhhh woahhh what? what the hell just happened? that reaction came out of nowhere)"

However,
    The guy I'm seeing now, who has never done anything for me to react like that ^^ described his ex as having serious issues. It was his birthday and he wanted to go down the road to visit his mum, dad and sister and she said "I FUCKEN HATE THOSE CUNTS. YOUR SISTER IS CUNT NUMBER 1, YOUR MUM IS CUNT NUMBER 2 AND YOUR DAD IS CUNT NUMBER 3. IF YOU GO AND SEE THEM THEN YOU ARE CHOOSING THEM OVER ME". he left and returned home to confront her on what she said and she just said "yeah I know, let me make it up to you" and tried to perform oral on him which was the last thing he wanted. They broke up and she went to his work place to hit on his boss in front of him, as a result he went to sort out a restraining order on her just to find out she had already sorted out one against him for allegedly beating and raping her. He passed on to her a verbal list via her friend of all the things she can be charged with for taking him to court over a false allegation (wasting the courts resources, defamation of character, emotional damage etc) and then in court she sure was quick to settle it with no further legal pursuit of him.
    I'm a big supporter of the meetoo movement but surely, if he actually did it, the same thing would have happened to me by now (and hasn't). these things are a pattern of behavior

If people wanna be upset with how non-gender neutral and general it is, I get it. Some people just have serious issues but for those who are reasonable, they do not deserve to be written off as difficult or crazy if they express on opinion or react to something shitty you did.

I believe this is something that happens to mostly women or at least we are just known for being/typically expected to be on the receiving end of this dismissive attitude Portman is talking about

0|1
    0|0
  • That's a load of horse-shit.
    Everyone is crazy and difficult to a point, and if someone doesn't understand your mindset, they're gonna call you crazy or difficult.
    It doesn't just apply to women, and accusing a man of abuse for saying that is just straight up slander

1|4
    0|1
  • Another celebrity who should just keep their mouth shut. This line basically implies that women can do no wrong, and that any given woman's negative behaviour is the responsibility of some guy. It's basically another feminist point that frames women as stupid, helpless children.

0|1
    0|0
  • Context of course varies but I decide to cut her some slack - cause when you've had a career lasting that long - of course - you might at some point - say something that seems out of line. If I were to record every word you ever say - I would definitely find something embarrassing or wrong too - Natalie Portman is busy - doesn't have too much time to plan her speeches..

0|1
    0|3
  • I can agree a little bit. People aren’t the way they are for absolutely no reason at all. So it’s not really fair to call someone else out and label them for things that other people have played a role in.

2|2
    0|2
  • Men and Women dont understand each other at all, (general speaking), this is why there are websites like this one :D

She is just wrong and doesn't realize that we can't understand each other and wants to make it an easy solution to blame one of us. inter- Gender -Communication is just difficult from early age on most of us tend to talk only to our own gender more than to the other one. We work like this as a species.

0|1
    0|0
  • I get what she's saying and I do kind of agree with her. It is usually the people who will never accept fault who will find fault in everyone else, especially when they caused it.

But at the same time... we need to be holding ourselves accountable as well.

0|1
    0|0
  • I partly agree with her.
    Sometimes men are threatened by women who speak their minds and react poorly.
    However, sometimes women are crazy,

3|3
    0|0
  • Haha lol I kinda have to agree even though I'm not a feminist. A lot of guy's don't understand women at all when the problem is literally staring them right there own reflection

1|1
    0|4
  • It a both way thing for both genders... Natalie portman.. Emma Watson and others have spoken but not everything has to be right. But at the same time you need to ask why she said it or why someone said it.. no point scrathing the surface.. have to get to the roots

0|0
    0|0
  • She’s a women celebrity so she has to hop on the feminist bandwagon.. who actually cares if men call us crazy we always talk about how much a disappoint men are. The hypocrisy jumped out

0|1
    0|0
  • She seems like a good actress, but political statements aren't really her thing. She seems to be a very emotional person, rather than facing things with a logical input. What she said was uncalled for.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ya Natalie Portman because it's always the man's fault🙄

1|4
    0|1
  • Girls are the sweetest but if a man does not pay attention to their feelings but just to their pleasures damn than you have played with her dignity and you are still waiting for her to be like before that's why you men said that women are crazy and difficult.

1|0
    1|11
  • I agree. Men are quick to throw out that we are crazy but take no responsibility in making us miserable.

2|2
    0|2
  • I think we can equally make each other crazy sometimes. But some people truly are without provocation. So yes in some cases she is right and some she isn't.

0|1
    0|0
  • No Comment.
    I will Say, bae, She has Sure Come a Long Ways from those Sam Walton Days when she Appeared in a True Life Movie that was Groovy. xx

0|0
    0|2
  • But either gender can be crazy
    so her whole speech is irrelevant

1|3
    0|0
  • I agree with her mostly however there are women who are crazy or/and difficult for no reason.

0|3
    0|2
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes