What do you think of Natalie Portman’s speech at Variety's Power of Women event?

Last week Natalie Portman gave a speech at the Variety's Power of Women event.
Natalie Portman’s Variety’s speech
Natalie Portman’s Variety’s speech
Natalie Portman has some choice words for men who have a habit of calling women “crazy” or “difficult.”
Stop the rhetoric that a woman is crazy or difficult,” said Portman. “If a man says to you that a woman is crazy or difficult, ask him, ‘What bad thing did you do to her?’”
What do you think, what is your opinion about it?
  • Yes I agree with her.
  • No, I don’t agree with her
  • Just checking...
    Vote C

44138

Most Helpful Guys

• Pretty lady but. . . I was married to a woman who had a similar philosophy. Everything that I did that met her disapproval was my fault. Everything that she did that met my disapproval was something that she did as a response to some bad behavior on my part, so her actions were my fault, too.

Essentially, everything was my fault. It is impossible to have a successful relationship when one partner takes no responsibility for their behavior. This is an example of "feminist" thinking taken to an extreme.

• The problem with that comment, is that it's entirely one-sided.

Turn it around, and it becomes "If a man is an asshole, ask yourself what you did to him.". The logical conclusion to that becomes, if a man beats his wife, then she must have deserved it.

Now, obviously, that's a load of bull. I'm just using it as a counter-argument. Change the genders, and it sounds completely unreasonable. Everyone is responsible for their own actions, period. If you're crazy, abusive, violent, etc, then that's your fault, and nobody else's.

Some people suck, but nobody can make you act a certain way. Only you can control the way you act, and what you say, so that's your responsibility. If a woman is crazy, then she's crazy. If a man is crazy, then he's crazy.

Blaming it on someone else is childish, and that's exactly what her quote is advocating doing; saying it's someone else's fault.

Most Helpful Girls

• So I'm guessing that if a woman straight up abuses her husband and/or child, is an alcoholic, or is neglectful, and when the guy tries to talk about just how abusive she is, throwing in the "She's crazy man...", we should just dismiss his opinion because it was obviously his fault. Way to blame the victim here. I am so sick of hearing misandristic attitude, thinking that all women should be absolved of sin and that males are all satan. Just think about what would happen if the genders were swapped, the guy would get in jail instantly, but now that its a woman she's innocent. Of course everything should be judged on a case by case basis, but Natalie is obviously trying to generalize all of these cases into one.

• If only more women did see eye to eye with you, I'm tired be categorized, evil, just wants sex, well his a man so of course.

• Uh, no. Not all, but some women are just bat-shit crazy or have difficult personalities. Nobody is perfect in this world, so I think it's silly to assume every woman is a perfect angel.