Be There For Your Depressed Friends

Depression sucks. You have no energy, you isolate yourself, and you feel like a loser. Everyone has Depressive episodes now and then, but those with Clinical Depression experience an awful disease that takes many lives every day.

Be There For Your Depressed Friends

There are many causes for a person to have Depression. Genetics, environment, childhood events, drug use, and so on provide a proclivity for this illness. And many, if not most, feel alienated from everyone else. To them, everyone they are surrounded by are happy and content with their lives. They feel they don't belong anywhere except in their own brain.

It can be hard for a person who feels this way, with no energy and no hope, to thrive in daily life. You might not be able to cure someone's mental illness, but the best thing you can ever do for someone is this:

BE THERE FOR THEM.

Be There For Your Depressed Friends

Of course it can be hard being friends with a depressed person. They might not smile easily or want to go out. Still, do what you can if you think your friend is feeling depressed. Even if it's just a text saying, "I'm here you." That text could change your loved one's entire day for the better.

Be There For Your Depressed Friends

And PLEASE, if you feel that your loved one may harm themselves, get help for them. The suicide hotline is 1-800-273-8255.

NOTE: This MyTake is written about Depression, but this may also be relevant for sufferers of other mental health disorders or people who are otherwise going through a difficult time.

1132
Whatthefluff is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• I've been depressed since I was 14. I can't escape from this fu*kin darkness. :( I always feel I'm unsuccessful. somedays I just sit somewhere and I listen to music and just think. Sometimes I think I love to make myself sad.
    most people around me can't understand me they don't make things better. I don't know what the fu*k should I do. I feel I can't be successful. I feel I can't do things that make me happy.

• I extremely dislike people who will sh*^ can you for being depressed.
    Honestly being depressed is something to take seriously and not lightly. I hate when people are like,
    "You are so full of drama just fu^*^ng kill yourself already"
    &
    "You are wasting everyone's time"

Most Helpful Girls

• My friend in high school was depressed. I was the only one she’d let anywhere near her. She left school with no warning and never even told me about it. She just packed up and left. I wouldn’t even know if another friend of mine hadn’t seen her leaving with the contentions f her locker and asked.

• Depression looks different for each depressed person, and what I need may not be what the next person needs. To be a truly supportive friend is to get to know us as individuals and try to be there for us in ways that are unique to who we are.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 30

• Yeah, Depression is an uphill battle that I sometimes wish I didn't have to go alone, but I don't really deserve any support in this fight. Others do so I say that I hope that your my take helps someone understand what depression really is and it's dangers.

• Oh, and a tip that helps me through my depressive episodes, get out of bed. I know that it's hard, believe me, I know, but laying in bed only traps you in your mind and that's the worst place to be. I usually try to at least sit up.
      Also, set your alarm a few hours early if you need to do something in the morning

• You'll need that time to get out of bed and still not be late.

• Thank you, for the positive advice.

• Most of my life I've been depressed. It's been so long it became my lifestyle. It's hard since I don't ask for help from anyone and I'd rather do things alone. I've already seen plenty of therapists and I still feel that way. I envy those who always seem happy. I know that everyone has there own problems but I can't help it.

• My friends could careless, I scheduled a time for us all to hang out and it turns out that they all made plans the day before even after agreeing to spending that day with me so I sat at the park for three hours alone. I make some depressed comments and they make no reaction or anything. I guess they just don't really care :/

• In my experience, "friends" will just call you lazy, weak and will abandon you if you ever bring it up. If you do genuinely worry about your depressed friend, please, avoid saying platitudes in an attempt to lift their mood. It won't work. At best, it'll annoy them. At worse, it'll make them feel momentarily worse.

• Please, tell me: if someone is depressed and insists that something is true when it's not, what should you do?

e. g. "Children have a much harder life in 2018 than they did in 1918"

• Set them straight in a calm and caring manner. Delusional beliefs are quite common among severely depressed people, but we should never accept their delusions as real.

• @MarketData Thank you, that was my feeling, but if I do it I'm sure I'll be accused of being mean.

Does anyone disagree with MarketData's approach?

• The worst part about this, though, is that is can be extremely hard or almost impossible to know if a friend is depressed.

• love your take
    but you know, life never goes as we want it to be, In your darkest times, no one will be there for you, not even your shadow

• I have bouts of depression sometimes , I've been there before and it sucks.
    I am always there for a friend in need wanting to talk

• Well when I was depressed honestly no One helped me nor I had the energy to hear from anyone i think if someone is depressed they should try to go to a specialist that was my only way

• I'm there for you when you need, even if I'm offline.

• Yep, and another piece of advice don't take anything personally if they lash out or do things you know that isn't "them".

• If it's what they've been doing for 15 years, how is it not "them"?

• They were in therapy, but chose not to continue.

• @goaded Yeah, that's on them at this point. They should be continuing to get help until they get better, otherwise the condition may be more prolonged than ever. Most recover with therapy and/or meds. It's just a slow process unfortunately.

• This is so cool!!! Thank you for posting this!!! So many of those on gag need to see this!!! I would hate to see people on gag depressed but you showed them that their is help and a way and you also called them out to show their depressed friends support!! This mytake is amazing! Again thank you!! Depression is an ugly monster that needs to be stopped! "That's right depression you hear me! I Called you ugly, what you gonna do about it? Step up you coward, oh I see only go for people when they are down huh, I guess your not so strong after all!"

• Help yourself. Everyone has shit going on. The faster a depressed person realizes that the faster he/she will get their shit together.

• That should actually be "Be there for friends with depression." This is a case where person first is important.

• Mos def.. Everybody deserves to be non-depressed.. Just gimme a hug.. 8)

• @kaewk This is why we try to support mrs Manson. 😉

• exactly.

• @kaewk And as you bro my advice for you is that, you should try whatsapp. Everybody I know uses it. You get all your messages and calls for free through it. You don't really need even an account for it. It's maybe the most important app.

• I know my help isn’t usually helpful but I still try my best

• Nice take 😊
    I'm always there for anyone who needs me

• Excellent take. Be there for your friends and one day they will be there for you.

• Great my take. Everyone suffering from depression in my opinion needs someone to be there for them

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 9

• Great mytake!
    I completely agree. When I’m down all I really want is for someone to show me that they care enough to stay...

Anyway I feel bad for all the depressing shit I put pun through

• Of course, this is a very complex and complex issue. All parties have their own benefits.

• That’s what friends are for. You should be there for them no matter what

• Everytime i tell a friend they end up slowly leaving my life without me having to change anything about myself

• @Ldrgirl sry about that. U need to find better friends then. They don’t deserve u

• 7d

The thing is that i have social anxiety too, so making friends has always been almost impossible for me, but thank you for your answer 😊

• I get depressed too. This helps.

• Great Take.

• I'm here if you or anyone needs to chat

• Nice take 👍🏻

• You can try to help depressed people but often we have our own burdens.
    A suicidal person will always succeed anyway no matter what.

• Nice my take 🙂👍🏽💕