Letters to my parents

Letters to my parents

Dear Mom,

You act as if you care about your children when we are in public, you buy us ice cream and hug us good bye as we head to school. But at home you are completely different. You are cold and condescending, ignore us as you sit on your computer and neglect to feed us dinner. You later call your friends and family to complain about us and tell them that we are demons – that we are ruining your life. Why is it that when we are in public you shower me with affection but at home, I can't even hold your attention for a second? You hoard material items – the entire living room is filled with boxes of stuff and I know that you will never love me as much as you love your things. You spend more time looking at your clothing, jewellery and piles of things you will never need than you ever spend with me. You are fraudulent and create bank accounts in the name of your own children. You cash the cheques that Grandma sends for our birthdays and spend the money on clothing for yourself to add to the piles of things you already have. You claim to care about my education but not enough to give me paper to print my homework or enough to pick me up on time after school so I can do my homework. I sit in the library for 4 hours after school because you forgot about me. Its crazy that you are a stay at home mom, yet the busiest person I know since you never have time for me. I never know what mood you will be in when you come home – I would do anything to make you smile, even if it kills my spirit. But when I eventually break and don't know how to handle it, I call your sister and beg for help. She visits the home to act as a mediator and suddenly you change when she's around.You become attentive and affectionate and deny all my claims and allegations against you. My aunt thinks I am a liar, that her sister loves me and that I am looking for attention, but we both know the truth. The cycle repeats and I let you walk all over me until I cannot handle it anymore. My sisters have learned and know better than to trust you. They avoid you and don't believe a word you say.But I can't help but fall for the same mistakes because the 2 minutes that you listen to me are worth the rest of the time I spend crying myself to sleep. Until it won't be, and I finally acknowledge that my mother is a narcissist.

Dear Dad,

I know you love me and my sisters very dearly. You always buy us gifts, ask us about our days and congratulate us on our achievements. But your fatal flaw is that you are a coward. You see our mother abuse us and you don’t say a word. You turn a blind eye when we cry to you about all that she does and says to us. You seem to think that if you don’t acknowledge what she does then it isn’t real. But it is real, and it is our reality. You have seen her abuse and never confront her. Even you can’t stand her, you have been sleeping on the couch for 2 years. You have heard her lie about us, that she “fears for her life” when she is near us, and while you don’t confirm what she says, you don’t deny it either. You are unable to stick up for your own kids. You swore that you would protect us from anything, yet you won’t protect us from our own mother. You say its out of your hands, there’s nothing you can do, yet you can. It is hard to tell what is worst – being the abuser, or the one that watched it happen.

56

Most Helpful Guy

• 6d

It's sad that you have to live through this. The best thing you can do is to use this as fuel. Fuel to never let yourself become like your mother. To overcome this and look back and be proud of your resilience and mental fortitude. You have the mental awareness and moral compass to know that this behavior is toxic, so at least there is that. Some people grow up around this behavior and don't understand that it is toxic, because it's all they know. Just remember, it can always be worse, and try to think about what you have in your life to be thankful for.

Most Helpful Girl

• 6d

I huge you your soul is beautiful your kids and your family is going to be so proud having you in their life. I'm sure people around you love your presence. Please be strong and move on be strong and be positive good things are coming for you soon if you be a little more patient.

Join the discussion

45
  • 6d

It is said but the situation is given. The question is how you will maintain your mental health or heal the already caused damages.

I saw this picture and know the vibe of your writing I assume they are from the same person.

Don't wanna tell what to do, but I can share some experience, that might give a wider perspective how to work out your own life.

• 7d

Sadly, if your dad left your mom, she would get custody of you kids and would financially destroy your father, and would probably do everything she could to keep him from seeing you. It would be worse.

But you also need to know that none of this is your fault - the toxic person here is your mother, and as much as it hurts, you must never blame yourself.

One of these days, your mother will be old and sick and alone and she will wonder why her children want nothing to do with her.

The best revenge is to appreciate that your father loves you and to build a wonderful for yourself and your sisters. Your mother doesn't need to be involved.

• 7d

This was very sad to read. I hope you are ok and I pray that God will work his way through you and heal you 💛

• 1d

This is well written once you reach age 18 , take this and mail to your Mother it's shame that you got a bad Mother, i wish i could have a child to love in my life but so far that has not been seen to happen.

• 6d

Parents are Far From Perfect But God says in His 10 Commandments... HONOR THEM. xx

• 6d

I feel with me now that Mom is Dead, I did everything I could for them and it seemed to Never be Enough... Dad will soon die of a Lung Disorder and Would he ever Have appreciated anything I did or What I am now? xxoo

• 7d

Hey, it'll get better. I promise you that. It always gets better. If you ever need to talk I'm here.

• 6d

Great take

• 5d

Rookie.

• 6d

I don't think that's abuse. I think you just have shit parents.