Emotions, Their Functions, And You

The Difference Between Emotions And Feelings And How They Function To Improve Relations With Self, Family Members And Friends

Hi guys and girls. I hope you are having a fantastic day. Today I will be covering a fun mytake on the different types of emotions and their functions. I was inspired by a cognitive behavioral class that I lectured for. I noticed that whenever you ask someone to "name an emotion" they will more than likely name a feeling. Feelings and emotions are completely different. An emotion is "a conscious mental reaction (such as anger or fear) subjectively experienced as strong feeling usually directed toward a specific object and typically accompanied by physiological and behavioral changes in the body". A feeling is "an emotional state or reaction". The easiest way to understand the difference is that a feeling is what you experience after having an emotion. So feelings are not emotions they are just feelings. While there are many emotions and feelings, I have condensed this MyTake to include only primary emotions and their functions.

Objective: After Reading This Article You Should Be Able To Understand Yourself A Little Better As Well As Your Family, Friends, And Relatives. You Should Be Able to Name An Emotion And A Feeling. You Will Also Be Able To Determine If That Emotion Serves A Purpose.

Feelings Wheel
Feelings Wheel

This is one of my shorter MyTakes. If you need any follow up mytakes for the additional emotions or secondary emotions please leave feedback and comments below. Please review the visual aid below 👇👇👇👇before reading.

Purpose Of Emotions
Purpose Of Emotions

So let's get started:

1. Joy

Joy
Joy

The function of joy is to activate the reward system and give you the feeling of satisfaction.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Happiness, Contentment, Grateful, Excited

2. Shame

Shame
Shame

This emotion primarily functions to let others around you know that you are seeking approval and acceptance.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Humiliation, Guilt, Embarrassment, Awkwardness

3. Anger

Anger
Anger

Anger has many functions. Anger can motivate, influence quick decision making, and protect you from feeling vulnerable or afraid. Anger is always shown in a negative light and that's because people use it as a way to protect themselves and their insecurities. But an emotion is just a feeling. It's neither good nor bad.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Frustrated, Annoyed, Envious, Jealous, Mad

4. Disgust

Disgust
Disgust

Disgust functions to help us to reject things that are unhealthy or provide an unpleasant experience.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Averse, Apathetic, Repulsive, Contempt

5. Sadness

Sadness
Sadness

Sadness functions to let your body know you need healing.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Depressed, Pain And Hurt, Grief And Sorrow, Unhappiness

6. Fear

Fear
Fear

Fear functions to influence survival and safety.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Insecure, Anxious, Vulnerable, Scared

7. Love

Love
Love

Love functions to influence connections and relationships. Which are proven to aid in survival and longevity.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Affection Adoration, Connected, Caring

8. Surprise

Surprise
Surprise

Surprise functions to let you know something is out of the ordinary. This will activate the fight or flight response or just give you a burst of adrenaline to ensure your survival.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Astonished, Distracted, Startled, Overwhelmed

9. Trust

Trust
Trust

Trust functions to allow yourself to rely on others to aid in survival and getting your needs met. This emotion can give you confidence and sometimes validation.

🖤Secondary Emotions/Feelings: Assured, Hopeful, Secure, Confident

Authors Note🌺: Thanks for reading and leaving helpful feedback. If you need any follow up mytakes about emotions please leave a comment. There are a lot of studies on which emotions are considered primary and secondary. This information is the most relevant and current for this topic. This is also a short take I did not cover everything. If you want the extended version please direct message me. I hope you will be able to understand yourself and others better. *That's the purpose and motivation behind my collection of MyTakes. ♥️💋

Wheel Of Emotions
Wheel Of Emotions

This is a NEGATIVE FREE ZONE!!!! So be kind to one another and spread joy. If you have personal questions or off topic questions please direct message them. I will not be answering them on public posts. Thanks for understanding and respecting my privacy!!!!! Disclaimer: I do not own any parts of, or profit from any of the Illustrations used on my posts. Any awards from GAG have not been claimed after being accepted. If they have been claimed then I have contacted the artist directly and have permission to post. These artists deserve recognition so make sure you like/follow their pages and show your support. Hopefully you will find my content fun and helpful.

References:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emotion

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/finding-your-authentic-pu_b_8342280

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/peaceful-parents-happy-kids/201801/easy-ways-teach-kids-about-emotions-in-daily-life

https://pin.it/6af3zv3hycenlx

Yours Truly: Secret6620

Here's Something Sweet For Stopping By

Cherries
Cherries

Have A Wonderful COLORFUL Day!!!!

💗💗💗
💗💗💗
Emotions, Their Functions, And You
7
4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

47
  • Grobmate

Great Mytake. Well done.

I'd argue though that for point 6, "apathetic" is erroneous. Apathy is the complete absence of emotion and subsequent feelings that would be experienced, had an emotion have been triggered. It isn't born from disgust.

1 likes
    • Thanks for reading and leaving feedback ♥️🥰

• Grobmate

No problem. You did an amazing job ❤

• StingRayxoxo

I love the series of black and white photos you put in here. It really drives the sense of emotion first rather than the subject/person in the photo. Great job with that.
    You're really good at this!

1 likes
    • OMG!!! Thank You!!! That's literally the best compliment EVER!!!🌸💗🌸

• You're welcome! I'm a fan. ❤

• OMG Seriously!!! 💋💋💋 You are literally the nicest person. 🌺♥️🌺

• lernulo

Nice my take, have you ever seen inside out? From Pixar I would like a My take about it, it has many things about this issue.
    (Basic emotions, train of thinking, abstract plan, memory changing...)

I would like an issue of opinion about it, just an idea.

1 likes
    • Thanks for responding and leaving feedback. ♥️🥰

• jirwin7979

i think im stuck on fear and loneliness and being unwanted but i keep going and dont give up on things that keep me happy even if its acting childish iam a very special person that loves everyone no matter there looks sexual ori. or finacal status... yes i suck at spelling

1 likes
  • Deathraider

Technically, some of those emotions are not emotions. Like love. Love doesn’t have the physiological response that other emotions have. It might have other physiological response like sweating, but isn’t that just nervousness?

• Did you read the MyTake in it's entirety? It's been stated what emotions are and what they are not. Thanks for stopping by anyways. ♥️🥰

• Yeah, but by that definition, love isn’t really an emotion. What physiological responses does a person make that is solely unique to love. Many of the responses that we do make is a combination of joy, nervousness, etc.

• Once you study emotions and the human psyche it will make better sense to you. My best advice would be for you to take some classes in cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy. They are fun and very beneficial. Thanks for sharing ♥️🥰

• lightbulb27

smart girl, quite helpful. the color wheel very helpful as well as the emotions and purpose.

1 likes
    • Thanks for leaving feedback. I really appreciate it ♥️🥰

• lollyacctwo

Number 2,3,8 hit home for me, is there a councillor page on GAG?

1 likes
  • Mollynotgemma

Every feeling we have starts from an emotion... the feelings we feel dictate what emotional state we can’t shut off!
    Say I feel I should not go for that job. My emotion later will be what I should have done. If I’m sad then I did the wrong thing but if my emotions are happy then I felt I did the right thing? If that makes sense!

• I'm not sure what you're talking about. ♥️🥰

• jojouzumaki

thank you for sharing the above. plus you look awesome with pink 🙂

1 likes
    • Thank you sooooooo much!!! And thank you for reading and leaving such awesome feedback 🌺♥️🌺

• YHL6965

Nice take, this covers very well the basics. There is also something I heard, I'm not sure though, it's that fear is behind a lot of emotions : anger (fear that people might cross your boundaries and hurt you), shame (fear of being rejected) and fear as is. I think disgust might be a bit similar to anger in it's goal, to contain something that is toxic to you. Anger is usually in defense, because your boundaries are violated, and disgust might be a way to keep the toxic thing away from you. I also heard than you are angry when you feel that you can change something about the situation and fearful if you are helpless against the danger (a bit like fight or flight). With all of that said, I'm not an expert in any way so I might have got some things wrong.

1 likes
    • Thanks so much for reading and leaving feedback 🌸💗🌸

• Yeah true how bout u hmu let's talk