5 Tips for Achieving Clear Skin Naturally

This is my first MyTake, I'm nervous!

I've struggled with acne ever since I was ten years old and I have found the following tips helpful when trying to ease a flare up without products. I'll probably never have clear skin but that doesn't mean I can't clear up what's possible.

1. Staying Hydrated

I can't stress enough how good water is for clearing skin. Try and get your eight glasses of water a day, and even more if possible.

I had to spend two days in hospital a few years back and I was given a water I.V line to keep hydrated. My skin had never looked clearer or brighter once I got out. Water is a miracle!

2. Protecting Your Skin From the Sun

The suns rays are strongest during the day between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. If at all possible, keep your skin shielded from the sun during these hours. If you must be out during these hours, make sure to wear a product with a good SPF. Most moisturizers contain at least SPF 15 in them. Sun cream is an alternative option. Sun exposure can not only cause dark blotches on your skin, but it can also lead to skin cancer.

3. Quit Smoking

This may not apply to everyone but if you do smoke, quit now. Smoking lowers blood flow to your face which in turns causes premature wrinkles and permanent skin damage. Not only will quitting smoking improve your skin, but it will also improve your overall health too. Seek advice from a doctor to learn how to quit safely and effectively.

4. Avoid Wearing Make Up

I know it's impossible to avoid make up for your entire life, but try to limit it to certain occasions only. I only ever wear make up on special occasions (wedding, job interview, night out with friends etc.). Even only wearing it on rare occasions like these causes me to break out immediately the night day. Avoiding make up as much as possible will allow your skin to breathe instead of absorbing chemicals and clogging pores.

If you must wear make up often, remember to always remove it before you go to bed. Sleeping with make up on is a massive no.

5. Avoid Stress

Stress breakouts are the worst. Not only are they caused by stress, but they cause even more stress seeing them pop up on your face. Stress is inevitable in life, however there are ways of managing it effectively so that it doesn't affect your skin.

Regular exercise, healthy eating and 10 minute meditation each night can help you unwind and relieve stress.

Hope these help if you are struggling. You're not alone!

2126

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 26

• Hi,

I don't have severe acne, or even moderate acne, but as someone who does constantly have cases of mild acne, what can I do?

Most of your suggestions don't apply to me, except the water intake and maybe somewhat the stress, but I've been doing the water thing for a fair bit now. I've often had up to 2 or 3 liters a day, sometimes 4. I think I've noticed improvements at times, but it always comes back. Always more show up in various places on my face. To be fair, I'm not always consistent with the water intake, and have even paused for periods, but I would think with the amount I've drunk at times, it would be a lot more night and day than it's seemed to have been - especially considering I used to never drink water. It feels like I have to drink water like an idiot, and MAYBE then it will EVENTUALLY go away, but it (so far) kinda feels like there isn't too stark of a difference for me when it comes to drinking no water, drinking some water, and drinking a ton of water per day. I mean, maybe some, but again, I say maybe, so it's not totally glaringly obvious yet.

I'll try to be more consistent from now, but any other suggestions perhaps that you think could be a huge plus in my favour? (I do also put on acne serums and I've even been trying this blue light acne stick lately).

• Noooooo, these tips are horrible!
    I hate drinking water, it's so bland.
    I love sitting in the son.
    I'm always stressed which is why I smoke.

Don't wear make up tho so maybe there's still a chance.
    nice take lol

• Great take in my opinion, is it true that sugar is also bad for the skin, especially in puberty as I understand

• Thank you! I have asked my doctor about this previously, and she said it was a myth. However, healthy eating does improve the skin so it's best to avoid it anyway.

• Ok, I can see also that alcohol causes dehydration so you can add that I mean subtract lol and add carrots as a source of that caretonid thing that makes carrots orange and also fruit for sure, fruits like avocado i think

• I mean welcome lol :)

• Good take. For many, excess fats and oils in the diet can contribute, and many fried products (french fries in most restaurants, etc.) actually have sugar in the oil to enhance the browning, so it's kind of a double whammy on your skin.

• This is good, important advice. Avoiding sugar and preservatives in your diet also helps. Eating lots of fruits and veggies also helps hydrating.

• I don't smoke nor do I apply make up. I do drink plenty of water. I think stress is the major cause. Thank you.

• Also use good skin care, from experience I know it's much better to consult a doctor rather than just believe ads.

• You didn't mention "avoid sugar" thats the main hidden culprit everywhere.
    Also those junks.
    by the way you mytake wanst well!😪

😂😂😂

• Those are all tried and testing things to help not only your skin, but your life!

• But even then you can still get spots and blemishes. Sometime you really do need a dermatologist input.

• Great take.

If you took one look at my face you would be able to see what smoking and stress can do. It is not pretty.

• Show more from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 21

• I don't agree about makeup. I wear it frequently and there's no difference compared to when I not wear it. I used to have acne too. I was on Accutane, now I just need to maintain my skin.
    My acne was due to hormonal disturbances. I found out taking Saw Palmetto is a good alternative to the pill for me as a preventive method for acne.
    Other than that, as long as you don't touch your face with dirty stuff and have a good skincare you can stay clear of acne.

• I also struggle with acne from a very young age, since I was 11years old. My parents had it, my older siblings also have acne and I know I'll never really get rid of them completely since it is hereditary.

Sleeping well helped me more than drinking water. Whenever I don't sleep enough or I sleep irregularly I break out terribly. I also break out before I get my period so I believe hormone has an influence too.

I tried using sunscreen, I am supposed to use it anyway cause I have vitiligo but I break out when I use sunscreen so I kinda gave up on that.

Regarding makeup, I had no trouble with makeup much. If I keep my brushes clean and throw away expired products then I'm good. I also wear makeup for special days only cause when I continuously wear them for several days (mostly for events) I do break out.

What helps me to control them is using facial masks that suit my skin. When I wear those masks regularly my skin does not break out much even when I'm wearing makeup a lot.

One more thing that helps me is ice. I break out terribly on hot days and when I rub ice on my face for 10 minutes daily it prevents any breakout.

• 4) is kinda dependent on the person. i've always found makeup actually benefitted my skin for some reason and i've never broken out from it. Yes it can clog your pores, but I think the hydration level of foundation is perfect for my skin. In a given week where I don't wear any makeup and one in which I do, my skin will always be better at the end of the makeup week.

• Avoiding makeup and washing your face once a day make a huge difference seriously makeup will ruin your skin

• Number 4 is extremely important

Avoid concealer as it can cause fine lines under eyes. That area is sensitive so when you rub it to remove makeup

Prefer eye cream over concealer

• I love this MyTake, I think diet too can play a role.

• I generally recommend the regimen they suggest at acne. org

• "Staying Hydrated" that is the most important step to enjoy a clear & healthy skin.

• Love this my take ❤️. I can do everything else except drink lots of water lol

• Nice tips. I think it has a lot to do with genes as well

• Show more from Girls
    11