You're more beautiful when you're not aware of it

This take is based on "What makes you beautiful" by One Direction and "Du bist schön" by Alligatoah.

You don't know you're beautiful

I honestly don't like One Direction, but they have a point when they sing

"You're insecure
Don't know what for
You're turning heads when you walk through the door
Don't need make-up, to cover up
Being the way that you are is enough
Everyone else in the room can see it
Everyone else but you"

and

"You don't know you're beautiful
If only you saw what I can see
You'll understand why I want you so desperately"

Why are we (girls in particular) more beautiful when we're not aware of it? I think it's due to the confusion we face when we meet someone who is beautiful yet unaware of it - it fascinates us, we want to tell them how beautiful they are until they realise. But what truly captures our attention is that we don't understand how they don't see it.

You're beautiful but that's it

There's another aspect to it as well, which is put into music in this song, which most of you sadly won't understand, so I'll translate the important part:

"Du bist schön, aber dafür kannst du nichts
Weder Lesen, noch Schreiben, noch was anderes
Du bist schön, aber dafür kannst du nichts
Du kannst nicht mal was dafür, dafür kannst du nichts
Im Frühling denkt das Röslein: 'Wer nicht leiden will, muss schön sein.'"

"You're beautiful, but you have no skills
You can't read nor write nor anything else
You're beautiful, but you can't help it.
It's not even your fault. It's not your fault.
In springtime, the little rose thinks, 'Who doesn't want to suffer must be beautiful.'"

The main statement of the artist is that the girl he's singing about is beautiful - but there's nothing else to that beauty.

In my opinion, when people become aware of their beauty, something flips - some develop narcisstic traits, others just don't handle their beauty well.

Sure, looks are important to some extent, they determine whether people get to know each other better in the first place (in terms of when someone has to approach the other). However, personality determines whether people stay toegether or not.

21st century women, beauty, personality, life skills

The problem I see with people my age in my area is that a large proportion of them don't have basic life skills anymore. Children used to be forced to sew, to clean and do other chores, which was hard work, but they were able to live on their own and save money through fixing their clothes, not buying too much food, avoiding throwing food away etc. There are many examples, my point is that many people my age in my area are extremely dependant on their parents.

This needs to stop. Beauty only gets you as far, actual personality traits and life skills will get you much farther.

What's your opinion on this? Are people who aren't aware of their beauty more beautiful?

8
6

Most Helpful Girls

• mfprigtum
    I think that confidence can be beautiful but if you tend to be arrogant you won't be beautiful or loved. If you are insecure but still willing to learn that you are beautiful then I think it's beautiful as well but if you aren't able to find yourself beautiful, then you won't be as adorable to others. Just my opinion though
    Is this still revelant?
  • arabgoddess
    We all see beauty in our eyes different and in different aspects.. What I find beautiful is when two souls ignite!
    I love your take.. I have similar ideas like you
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• Avicenna
    That's very good observation. In a woman, that does indeed go along with a sense of modesty and humility that is very attractive and unusual in a world were so much attention goes to the immodest and overrated. There is also a dash of innocence about it, which is also alluring to men.
    Is this still revelant?
  • NerdInDenial
    Being physically attractive is similar to having cheat codes in life. People, generally, are more nice to attractive people.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

46
  • Ally247
    I'd say the line separating the two is quite thin, insecurity isn't attractive, but neither is over confidence.
  • Purple_Summer
    Ok I dont know about the second song, but from one direction it's not like they mean it. someone wrote this song for a boyband knowing teenage girls will love it, that's it. look at the singers from there in real life dating supermodels who are very aware of their beauty
    • Yeah sure it's more symbolic for the topic :D

• oh ok. but yeah I agree in general that there is something very cute about the person who does not realize how beautiful they are. not insecure, just not paying attention to that type of stuff. definitely better than someone who's overconfident or very into their looks

• Robertcw
    This is what makes cute girls so appealing. They don't realize with tweaks in style and presentation they could be a 'hot' girl. Or they don't want to conform.

That's the draw.
  • This is a good message, beauty is only skin deep. At a certain point we age and beauty fades... It's up to us to create a legacy... Hold on
    • My verse is sort and sweet yet speaks for it self
      "I want to leave a legacy,
      How will they remember me?
      Did I choose to love?"

• BlueFlame14
    I don't think so, a girl with confidence can be just as beautiful as a girl that doesn't think she is. Because I am beautiful, and I know it!
  • Browneye57
    Could be. Your '21st century' summary makes more sense.
  • serious
    I don't believe in that sentence.
  • Exorcist_Rampage
    That probably has a lot of truth to it.
  • SecretGardenBlood65
    Good take
  • LucaChangretta
    Nice sharing, thanks