Do you think that tattoos are art or tacky?

For example tattoos that are not common and actually mean something.
Updates:
So many responses! Personally I have 10 tattoos but they are mostly small and people doesn’t even notice that I have them because are hidden. I wouldn’t change them, I was just curious about what other people think.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like it's more art with a story

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• they're definitely art! no matter how excessive they are, they're all beautiful and tattoo artists work super hard on them. the only flaw i see in them being considered art is when the design is a personal request from the customer and not a creation of the artist, but even so i think it is art in those cases because of the work and precision that the artists need to take for any tattoos.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 83

• It's all art, even if others personally don't see the value in it, some may be "drunk tattoos" or ones with errors in them, like it or not, that portrays a moment in your life, not all art is beautiful, sometimes the most powerful pieces are the ugliest. And I'm sure you can find examples of "monkey butthole belly button" tattoo To try and prove me wrong but overall, that my belief

1|0
    0|0
  • Tacky. Very, very tacky. Well, a lot of them are... The ones that cannot be covered with normal clothes. A little butterfly or a cute dolphin would be charming, but a girl with a sleeve? Well, she's not "keeper" material. She's made for pumping-and-dumping.

0|0
    2|0
  • Well all tough il never get one. I'm ok with the small ones that have emotional meanings but not those people that go nuts on the and tattoo they're whole bodies.
    Even the face!
    Tattoos won't look nice your whole life that's the thing. Once you get old that statue on your back is gonna be on your butt or something lol

2|0
    0|1
  • They look dumb. It's like putting on a piece of clothing that you can never take off. Do you have any clothing you like enough to make permanent? I don't!

0|0
    3|0
  • Although I wouldn't ever get one unless seriously drunk or something where I don't have much control, some tattoos I think look nice. They can make me more attracted to a girl. Some don't though so that's why I would be scared to get one especially as it's permanent.

0|0
    0|1
  • Depends on how it's done and if it looks professional. I plan on getting one as soon as I have the money.

I use to work with someone who had tattoos literally all over, including his head and face. He has a degree in mechanical engineering but can't get a job because of the tattoos. When we were talking one time, he said he doesn't care about that. As long as he's doing a job that he enjoys and is enough to support his family

0|0
    0|0
  • If someone has taken the time to come up with a unique design then id say art. The tattoos I tent to find tacky are the ones people pay 20€ for while drunk or any tattoo that is just writing (particularly the name of a partner or deceased loved one)

0|0
    0|1
    • Well, I know a woman who has her miscarriage's name on her arm, and I don't find it tacky. It's just a tribute to her kid that passed away before it was born.

• Show All
    • The artistic part is that it's drawn as those child building blocks with letters on them.

• @SalamanderHotdogs See my comment mentioned when its just writing. If there is an artistic aspect to it then I can still appreciate it. I was referring specifically to when it's just writing with no real art of design.

• I been getting tatted since i was 13, and i dont regret any of them.
    I always got them in places where i could hide them, but then i caught a charge when i was 17 where they tried me as an adult so i was like fuck it im not getting a job anyways so i got my neck tatted.
    My tat on my neck got a real deep meaning though so ion regret it.

0|0
    1|0
  • A tattoo depends on a person whether it suits or not. I don't like tattoo over whole body. If anyone want to make a tattoo on his/her body, first select a proper design according to your body.
    Where you want a tattoo also matters.
    I would like woman with a tattoo on her thighs or back. Not a big one.

0|0
    0|0
  • My tattoos each have a symbolic meaning or special significance.
    Some people just tattoo a bunch of shit in themselves 😒

1|0
    0|1
  • Yes I believe it would fall under the category of the Arts and that being said it could still be considered tacky but of course any artwork could be considered tacky depending on someone's opinion of how they view it

0|0
    0|0
  • Art most tattoos have meaning. And for the people saying tacky because they will get old and fade. So what. When I get older and my tattoos fade. Ima remember That I never cared about people’s opinions and did what I wanted

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how excessive they are. Personally they are not attactive to me but I know a lot of guys that find them attactive

0|0
    2|0
    • Ouch I feel the burn, two thumbs down. It's pretty crazy when a post really takes off it's almost like Frankenstein's monster the creation gets bigger than it's creator. It's kind of fun to see all the responses. Great question! Thanks for asking!

• I think tattoos are art in most cases because you're getting stuff on your body that is meaningful to you.

1|1
    0|0
  • Totally tacky. They detract from your looks. I hate tattoos, period.

2|1
    1|0
  • Depends on the person, where it is on them and the design for me

Like I think a well done sleeve looks cool but some random colourful dragon or something looks horrible

0|0
    0|0
  • Art. Tattoos are built on the premise that you can share your experiences through permanent ink on skin. Not for the faint hearted but worth it if your tattoo has meaning

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course it's art and just like all other art some people like it and others don't, I personally think they should have meaning of some sort like the asker said but art either way

0|0
    0|0
  • They are art for a convicted felons doing their time in prison and they are tacky if you haven’t made it to prison yet!!

0|1
    2|1
  • I've never liked tattoos. I very rarely see one that I think the person looks better with than they would have without.

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 55

• I think it depends on the person. After all, it is their body. I know about a few people who get tattoos “for a cause,” like cancer awareness or something, even though they don’t have cancer. For them, it’s just a cute little symbol that they get but they attached meaning to it. Others have so many tattoos already that they don’t mine one silly one somewhere on their body. I think it’s really a cultural thing. There’s a “tattoo culture” so to speak.

0|0
    0|0
    • Different strokes and all that. Tattoos mean something different to every person. It can be shallow; it can be deep—doesn’t really matter to me as long as it looks OK and means something to the person. I know a few who regret their tatts afterward, but those are people who didn’t really think a lot about what they would be putting on their bodies for life. They have to own up to their mistakes then. Have laser sugery to get it off lol

• The only tattoo I have is a small black and grey mountain with symbols that mean "Should the oceans rise and mountains fall, God's love will never fail."
    Some tattoos look a tad bit tacky, but it's not my body to judge.
    I'm just grateful that I didn't get a tramp stamp on my 18th.

1|0
    0|1
  • Tattoos are art on your own body. Don't let what people say stop you from getting a tattoo. For many people tattoos symbolize something. Hey, we only get one life to live, and in the next life, we dont have an option to get the tattoos we couldn't get before.

2|0
    0|1
  • Depends on the tattoo. The ‘I’m awesome one’ (which is spelt wrong, too. 😂), is pretty tacky. But, the heartbeat with the horse isn't. I wanna get that tattoo, because it serves two meanings.

0|0
    0|1
  • That's a person's choice and what they want to do with their body and that is their artwork you know that's their life story or trash life story so with most people that's just a work of art or tribute to somebody that they love or their family member that they

0|0
    0|0
  • Art... every person who get a tattoo. Doesn't matter if it was picked from a wall or specifically drawn. Each and every tattoo means something to that person. Even if it was a drunken tramp stamp on a guy lol. Art is art and beauty comes from the holder of its. Eye

0|1
    0|1
  • None of my tattoos have any sentiment behind them, I just liked the art. I'll stay "tacky," I don't care if people don't like my tattoos.

1|0
    0|1
  • I think they’re nice and a form of art, as long as you don’t abuse it and mark up your body with lewd images and inappropriate stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the design and meaning. A penis on butt is tacky, but a personal quote or design is art. Like for a shoe for a marathon. I'm still waiting for a good reason.

0|0
    0|1
  • I disagree with people who are full of tattoos, that covers their entire body. Yes, this I find tacky and unflattering. But I like the idea of having 1,2,3 discrete tattoos that mean something to you, such as a music key or a date or anything. That's nice and cute.

0|0
    0|1
  • I’m not a fan of tattoos, so my body is a blank canvas. To each her or his own though. Some tattoos are tasteful, others are tacky. It’s all a matter of taste.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the tattoos and how the person decides to show it off. If you’re a homeless and a pervert than yeah it may look a little tacky but if you’re a man of money than it may even look hot

0|0
    0|0
  • Some are art. Some are tacky. Some come out just looking not right - like mine.

0|0
    0|1
  • i'm so over the idea that tattoos have to have meaning. like maybe someone wanted a pineapple just cuz it's cute

2|1
    0|1
    • Agreed I got a small heart with my best friend lol but it’s not in a visible place

• As long as they are done will and don't look like somebody let one of their friends practice on them they very beautiful.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think tattoos are art. It's a basic form of expression and symbolises something really important for the person.

1|0
    0|1
  • They are art. A tattoo artist has to draw out the design. That’s art.

1|0
    0|1
  • Art. Tattoo artists are AWFULLY underrated, doing such good, realistic works (some) and on human skin? Amazing

0|1
    0|1
  • I think it's all about art... just like art, there can be bad art. I love tattoos and have a few myself. I spent a lot of time designing them and picking the artists. I get a lot of compliments on them, I have only received negative commentary from older generations, even then half of them admit they're beautiful and well done, but I should just stay covered like a lady lol. People can preserve there tattoos like art now. When you pass, they remove the tattoo (yes the skin), and process it like leather, frame them, and send them to your loved ones. I've already signed up my mom and myself, and my family is fighting over who gets what tattoos. It's an amazing art form.

0|0
    0|1
  • Art duh. i'm trying to convince my mum to let me get a 666 tattoo on my forehead.
    xx
    ~ Bloodrayne Absinthe Nevermore

0|0
    1|2
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes