Is a Hot Dog a sandwich?

Is a Hot Dog a sandwich?
You know, technically speaking.
  • Yes it is.
  • No it's not.
  • Results
    Vote C
When it first arrived on American shores from Europe in the late 1800s, it was often referred to as a “Coney Island Sandwich” or “Frankfurter sandwich,” but much like an “ice cream sundae” is simply referred to as a sundae, terminology changes.

2541

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes a hot dog is a sandwich

A hot dog on a bun is technically an open-faced sandwich. No it's not on two separate pieces of bread, but the bun is cut in a way to specifically emulate two pieces of bread while holding everything inside. An open-faced sandwich can be anything on top of a single piece of bread eaten as you would eat a normal sandwich

So the real question isn't "Is a hot dog a sandwich?" The real question is "Is an open-faced sandwich a real sandwich?"

If an open-faced sandwich isn't a real sandwich, then the hotdog still gets to be sandwich, just not a real sandwich. If an open-faced sandwich is a real sandwich (it has sandwich in the name), then yes a hot dog is a real sandwich

Most Helpful Guy

• As Wikipedia defines it: "A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type."

The keyword here is "slices of bread." In the article for "Hot Dog," it is said that it is "served in a partially sliced bun." PARTIALLY. If it is only partially sliced, then it is not sliced bread (which will result in "two or more pieces").

So, a hot dog is perhaps partially a sandwich. One can argue that because the "seam" of the hot dog bun typically breaks in two while eating, it is a food rigged to become a sandwich, but this is not true because it is natural for a popsicle to melt into juice, but we don't call a popsicle "juice."

A hot dog is NOT a sandwich, but it may become one during eating. At most, it is a partial sandwich due to its bun being "partial sliced bread."