Vote A
  • No it's not.
    Vote B
  • Results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
When it first arrived on American shores from Europe in the late 1800s, it was often referred to as a “Coney Island Sandwich” or “Frankfurter sandwich,” but much like an “ice cream sundae” is simply referred to as a sundae, terminology changes.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes a hot dog is a sandwich

A hot dog on a bun is technically an open-faced sandwich. No it's not on two separate pieces of bread, but the bun is cut in a way to specifically emulate two pieces of bread while holding everything inside. An open-faced sandwich can be anything on top of a single piece of bread eaten as you would eat a normal sandwich

So the real question isn't "Is a hot dog a sandwich?" The real question is "Is an open-faced sandwich a real sandwich?"

If an open-faced sandwich isn't a real sandwich, then the hotdog still gets to be sandwich, just not a real sandwich. If an open-faced sandwich is a real sandwich (it has sandwich in the name), then yes a hot dog is a real sandwich

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• As Wikipedia defines it: "A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type."

The keyword here is "slices of bread." In the article for "Hot Dog," it is said that it is "served in a partially sliced bun." PARTIALLY. If it is only partially sliced, then it is not sliced bread (which will result in "two or more pieces").

So, a hot dog is perhaps partially a sandwich. One can argue that because the "seam" of the hot dog bun typically breaks in two while eating, it is a food rigged to become a sandwich, but this is not true because it is natural for a popsicle to melt into juice, but we don't call a popsicle "juice."

A hot dog is NOT a sandwich, but it may become one during eating. At most, it is a partial sandwich due to its bun being "partial sliced bread."

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 24

• I clicked No thinking this would be obvious and a unanimous poll.
    What? Who the fuck are these people voting yes?

That's it. I've had it. Pineapple on pizza, the other day I saw someone talking about putting chocolate on chips, now this.
    Fire up the gas chambers, humankind is long overdue another holocaust.

0|4
    1|1
    • lmfao!!! yeah we have to many god damn idiots in this world...

• Show All
    • Indeed it is.

• Nope, at least not in my country.
    Sandwich is a type of food made of meat (e. g salami) and/or cheese, with various condiments and vegetables, placed between two slices of bread, or on one slice of bread (if it's an open-faced sandwich).
    Hot-Dog is a wiener sausage in a bun (bread roll), usually with mustard or some other spicy condiment.

0|1
    1|0
  • When you go anywhere that sells sandwiches and hot-dogs, do you ever see them listed under the same thing? I think not. Therefore hot-dogs are not sandwiches and people who say they are NEEDS to eat a sandwich before they eat my fist.

1|3
    1|0
  • It's like calling Miley Cyrus a singer, while technically true, it doesn't look like one or sound like one and it's really hard to believe it's true.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is not a sandwich and I refuse to believe otherwise

0|3
    1|0
  • It's more of a 'bun' than a sandwich. But it's an interesting thought.

0|1
    0|0
    • Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches and Philly Cheesesteaks, and a lot of others are all, usually, on buns but considered sandwiches.

• @altruistatheart Maybe in America but they're also (well most of them, I don't know what a Philly Cheesesteak is) are also eaten worldwide. I like the Australian version, it's nice & simple:
      Between two slices of bread - Sandwich
      In a pita or similar flat bread - Wrap
      Filling inside a bun - Bun
      Filling inbetween two bun halves - Burger

I've also heard Americans tend to call chicken burgers (like say, the McChicken for example) chicken sandwiches, is that right?

• Nope. Not unless you forgo the traditional hot dog bun for slices of bread. A sandwich is two or more slices of bread with a filling between them.

0|1
    1|0
  • Well technically it's meat between two pieces of bread... so maybe? I don't know since I never thought of it that way lol

0|1
    0|0
  • It is not, the two parts of the bread are not completely separated
    www.euroclassicimports.com/.../...buns-imports.jpg
    and although they may separate with movement, still no sandwich

And if we talk about European buns, the answer is still no.
    www.fki.dk/.../FR2000002_21.jpg

1|1
    1|0
  • is a dead processed pig or turkey in bread even proper food?

1|1
    0|1
    • It contains nutrients so yes.

• It is for me coming off that grill. As long as it's 100% all beef and not made with chicken, pork and fillings? I don't eat the processed ones.

• do you put dogs in your sandwiches?

0|2
    1|0
  • Or is a taco.

1|1
    0|0
  • no. I dont think so. I never thought of this lol

0|1
    0|1
  • no it's not

0|3
    1|0
  • A hotdog is not. A hotdog on a bun is.

1|1
    0|0
  • I refuse to believe it.

0|2
    0|0
  • yea a hot dog

0|1
    0|0
  • i think it would be a sandwich

0|1
    0|0
  • nope not at all

0|1
    0|1
  • yes it is

0|1
    1|0
  • Its a hot dog, but technically, yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Technically it's a burger 😉

0|1
    1|0
  • yes. quite simple

0|1
    0|0
  • It kind of is.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 40

• I say no it's not a sandwich because of the specified bun for it you don't take roast beef and put it in hot dog bun you put it on a slice of bread my plate with gravy so no I don't think a hot dog is a sandwich a hot dog is a hot dog and a sandwich is a sandwich two different things that's just my opinion

0|1
    0|0
  • honestly I want to murder people who say stuff like that when I worked at 5 guys people who ask for a pork sandwich and I would have no idea what they are talking about. and when I worked at taco Bell lots of people would call items on the menu sandwiches and I would rage so hard inside

0|1
    0|0
  • A hotdog is a hotdog is a hotdog is a hotdog is a hotdog is a hotdog is a hotdog, no ifs or buts. There is nothing else it can be. It rules supreme. It is the omnipotent of foodstuffs. No sandwich could ever begin to emulate it. It stands proud in a league of its own. Did I say I like HOTDOGS.

0|1
    0|0
    • I disagree. a hotdog on a tooth pick is an appetizer, a hotdog on a stick covered in corn meal is a carnival treat, A hot dog on a bun is a sandwich and a hot does stuffed in your but is a dildo. They are have distinct differences that set them apart, especially the last one

• Are you perhaps muddling it with a horn dog?

• Well of course it is. Any culture that does bread (leavened or otherwise) does sandwiches. I think what's more interesting is that every culture that I can think of does tube meat.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's got bread on two sides of the meat in the middle. I think that qualifies it as a sandwich. Just because we usually have a special kind of bun for it wouldn't change that!

0|1
    0|0
  • 0|1
    0|0
  • Define "sandwich." Meat between two pieces of bread? Yes, it is a sandwich.

0|1
    0|0
  • Its not the fucking same thing because a hotdog bun is split and still attached. A sandwich isn't attached.

0|2
    0|0
  • its an open faced sandwich like a sub sandwich. although its more relatable to a bbq sandwich like pulled pork than a deli sandwich like an Italian coldcut

0|1
    0|0
  • A hotdog bun is one piece of bread a sandwich consists of two slices of bread. If you slice up a hotdog and put it in between two slices of bread that ould be a sandwich.

0|1
    1|0
  • It's a piece of meat between bread, It's a sandwich to me.

1|1
    0|1
  • careful... you may attract the attention of the illuminati...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes! This is one the closest held secrets in the Universe!

1|1
    0|0
  • It has all the familiar symptoms of a sandwich, so why not? :D

1|1
    0|0
  • Its got meat inside of bread, thats enough for me. Sandwich!

0|1
    0|0
  • no they don't even consider them sandwiches in restraunts.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't be, its like, what else is it then.

0|1
    0|0
  • Muhahaha. What is the essential element of a sandwich? Gotta love that Kantian shenanigan lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say so the dog is in a bun covers top and bottom defo a sandwich

0|1
    0|0
  • absolutely not! and niether are subs you heathans lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Not unless you cut it length wise and put it in a two pieces of bread.

0|1
    0|0
  • No one puts ketchup on their hotdog absolutely no one except the Junkyard Dog

0|1
    0|0
  • Hotdog with buns is the same as any other sandwiches.

0|1
    0|0
  • technically speaking its a piece of vread with meat in between but that if the weiner is meat lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course, my hot dog is sandwiched between her buns.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think so. it is a single piece of meat on a single piece of bread

0|1
    0|0
  • Meat between 2 pieces of bread, ketchup kraut relish. Yes it is

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it is. Jesus said so.

0|1
    0|0
  • what a time to be alive