Drinking on Lithium?

I'm not a huge drinker. I've only been drunk twice in my life, but would enjoy going out with my boyfriend more. The problem is, I'm on Lithium, and when you drink while on it, it's like your body instantly dehydrates. After three beers, my entire body was in so much pain I thought I might have to go to the hospital. It was like a migraine headache blanketing my entire body.

The upside is that there's a solution- drink as much water as alcohol. So I drank a few glasses of water and I was fine almost instantly.

Yet another problem is that with that much fluid in me, I'm up and out of bed about three times during the night and I end up waking my boyfriend when I do, which is annoying for anyone.

Does anyone who takes Lithium have any tips for drinking while on it? I can do the excessive water drinking, but if there's something else that would help, I'd be grateful to know about it.

If it matters, my dose is 900mg a day.

01