Most Helpful Girl
It's because society say the best way to enjoy the taste of meat is "Rare"
They think if you eat it "well done" you'll not be able to enjoy the real taste of meat.
Personally I eat my meat "Rare" so I never got any problem for it but I've heard people complaining about people who eat their meat too cooked. Personally I don't understand how they can it meat so well done but I don't care how they eat their meat. I'm not the one eating it so...
I've read some comment saying you must eat Burger "well done" as not to catch an affection or something but I eat my Burger Rare too and I never got any problem...(Only I eat burger "Well done" when I go to mcdo).
- Show AllShow Less
Most Helpful Guys
Burger? Burgers are supposed to be well done, otherwise the meat falls apart. People who eat their burgers "rare" (even though the word "rare" only applies to unprocessed meat) are either savages, idiots, or looking for an infection.
Steak? That's another thing.
Eating pork well done is great, because pork has a relatively white, loose meat. Chicken too. But beef has INSANELY tightly packed muscle fibers. Anyone who has ever tried to eat a "well done" steak knows it is like rubber 99% of the time. The remaining 1% is so rare that I have never experienced it.
So yeah. That is why eating well done steak is often viewed as ruining the meat.
I'll tell you what though - how you can probably create a well done steak that actually tastes good.
Get grease. Lots of grease.
Melt it. Pour it into a saucepan. Lay the flavoured steak inside it. Put it in the oven. Heat the over up to 80-100 celsius. Cook it for a SHITTON of time. Like, 5 hours minimum. Maybe 10. I've only tried it with smaller pieces.
At the end, pour out the grease, and grill or roastthe now relarively dry slices of steak at high temperatures for a short amount of time, until the top looks dry and glistening.
And now enjoy one of the best meals you will ever have.
Recommended flavour: pepper, salt, maybe mixed pepper, and garlic. Experiment.
Well. made steak is possible, but it's not easy.
As an ex-line cook who's cooked a few steaks, it's mostly because cooking a fresh steak/burger well-done destroys everything that makes it tasty and delicious. You're basically turning it into well-cooked leather and rubber. I would only cook the steak/burger-meat well-done if it's past its "prime". Same thing when I was working as a sushi chef - if you had FRESH salmon or tuna belly that came fresh off the boat that you bought from Tsukiji 2 hours ago, cooking it would be, to a food lover, a serious gastronomical crime of the highest order.
However, having said that, the customer's preference is always the most important thing to consider. If a customer wants a steak well-done, it's their money, their prerogative. The waitstaff might mention it ONCE, that the steak is best enjoyed medium to medium rare, but if the customer then says "No, I want it well-done", the waitstaff nods and gives us the order. Inside, we may be crying at what's been done to a perfectly fine steak, or the freshest tuna belly you've seen this side of Tsukiji, but the customer is king.
Also, this only applies to beef and fish and shellfish. Chicken and pork - always, always, always, well done. I mean, I know a place in Japan that does their chicken medium, with a bit of pink, but they're professionals at their jobs (and I've never eaten there, there is that).