Do you believe that dogs should be allowed in pubs and restaurants?

I'm not asking about special cases like guide dogs for the blind, but rather, would you support general access to restaurants and pubs, for accompanied dogs, or not?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
    Vote C
I'm asking this for a reason, so this is all useful stuff, people.

A short term manager of my local decided, more than two years ago, to allow dogs into the pub. It's now overrun, there were between nine and ten in there last night, and it's a food led pub.

I think this is idiotic, and must put off more people than it attracts.

2038

Most Helpful Girls

• No, as a pet owner I wouldn’t take my dog into a restaurant or bar because there are a lot of things that concern me about it.
    For example, I don’t know that black lab doesn’t have an aggression issue around other male dogs and I don’t know that boxer is up to date on rabies shots. I wouldn’t want to have an issue where my dog is hurt and it could have easily been avoided.
    Again, I don’t know if these dogs are up to date on shots and *I* have no interest in having to get rabies shots myself because he decided to give me a “love bite” and got a little too carried away and broke skin.
    Minor issue, I have an Alaskan malamute, they shed heavily twice a year, six months in the spring and six months in the fall, he’s brushed every other/every third day and still sheds, to be clear I love my dog, however, I don’t enjoy eating his hair and I don’t think it’s right to subject people that are paying good money for a night out to have to either.
    While you’ve set this question up as the restaurant is known to be dog friendly let’s assume for a moment a first timer is there. Not everyone likes dogs, some people are afraid of dogs and some people are allergic to dogs, again someone is paying good money for a night out they shouldn’t be concerned with their nose dripping into their soup or being worried a dog is going take a chunk out of their arm.
    I think it’s a good idea in theory but I think there are too many variables and unknowns to ensure it’s safe for the dogs and the humans.

• Totally agreed. Nice to see a response from a reasonable dog owner who is aware and considerate of other people. Unfortunately, I live in an area where the culture of dog ownership is awful. Sadly, the vast majority of them are completely oblivious, ignorant and astoundingly entitled, and self-serving without any care or consideration for anyone else whatsoever, but their dog. Thank you for your reasonable and impartial response. I wish there were more dog owners who were as considerate as you.

• No. No reason for it. Especially in a restaurant. When food is being served it’s unsanitary. Animals are dirty. Some people are allergic. Not all dogs are mannered. Imagine the dog fights. The owners of misbehaved dogs would take advantage.

• Pretty much what I said too. Agreed. 👍

• Finally someone who thinks like me. @ zoe2187

• I'm more concerned about people. You know the ones with guns, knives, vehicles and diseases that are allowed everywhere. I've never had a problem with a dog, but I've had people cause trouble while at a restaurant and at my old work.

Most Helpful Guys

• Absolutely not!

For people who feel entitled to want dogs into a pub/restaurant, this would be under the poor assumption that EVERYONE attending a pub or a restaurant wants, or is even remotely willing to have a sniffing, slobbering, jumping, barking, whimpering annoyance around you, and that this is "cute" for everyone. Yeah, not so much.

It also calls into question the sanitation and overall cleanliness of such a place. I know I certainly wouldn't go to any pub or restaurant like that! BARF! 🤢 Not to mention if this started, it would also entitle ALL owners - even owners with vicious dogs - to bring them with them because they feel entitled to, simply because places like this exist for them to bring their dog with them. It just seems like a mauling waiting to happen, let alone all the other annoying things dogs do. No freakin' way.

With that said, if dog owners want to have dogs in a pub/restaurant, then there should be separate "doggie" establishments (yuck), and not in ALL pubs and restaurants. Leave everyone else out of it. If you want it, go create it. Leave the rest of the world out of it. Don't impose your will on everyone else. And good luck with the sanitation department.

• I love dogs, but I don’t think they should be allowed in pubs and restaurants because those are places where cleanliness should be a theme. Clean floors, counters, clean uniforms, and even clean bathrooms. These are places where you are drinking and eating so they should be clean. You can’t monitor the cleanliness of every person’s dog inside your pub or restaurant. They can poop, throw up, or pee while in the restaurant which can cause other people around to be disgusted and most likely not want to eat at that restaurant again. I understand service dogs for the disabled, veterans, blind, etc. But I think allowing everyone’s dog for any reason is not necessary at a place like a pub or restaurant due to obvious hygienic reasons. Some people may not feel the same way you do about dogs, so allowing dogs into an establishment is showing no consideration for other people’s wishes.