Do you believe that dogs should be allowed in pubs and restaurants?

I'm not asking about special cases like guide dogs for the blind, but rather, would you support general access to restaurants and pubs, for accompanied dogs, or not?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Maybe
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I'm asking this for a reason, so this is all useful stuff, people.

A short term manager of my local decided, more than two years ago, to allow dogs into the pub. It's now overrun, there were between nine and ten in there last night, and it's a food led pub.

I think this is idiotic, and must put off more people than it attracts.

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No, as a pet owner I wouldn’t take my dog into a restaurant or bar because there are a lot of things that concern me about it.
    For example, I don’t know that black lab doesn’t have an aggression issue around other male dogs and I don’t know that boxer is up to date on rabies shots. I wouldn’t want to have an issue where my dog is hurt and it could have easily been avoided.
    Again, I don’t know if these dogs are up to date on shots and *I* have no interest in having to get rabies shots myself because he decided to give me a “love bite” and got a little too carried away and broke skin.
    Minor issue, I have an Alaskan malamute, they shed heavily twice a year, six months in the spring and six months in the fall, he’s brushed every other/every third day and still sheds, to be clear I love my dog, however, I don’t enjoy eating his hair and I don’t think it’s right to subject people that are paying good money for a night out to have to either.
    While you’ve set this question up as the restaurant is known to be dog friendly let’s assume for a moment a first timer is there. Not everyone likes dogs, some people are afraid of dogs and some people are allergic to dogs, again someone is paying good money for a night out they shouldn’t be concerned with their nose dripping into their soup or being worried a dog is going take a chunk out of their arm.
    I think it’s a good idea in theory but I think there are too many variables and unknowns to ensure it’s safe for the dogs and the humans.

1|5
    0|0
    • Totally agreed. Nice to see a response from a reasonable dog owner who is aware and considerate of other people. Unfortunately, I live in an area where the culture of dog ownership is awful. Sadly, the vast majority of them are completely oblivious, ignorant and astoundingly entitled, and self-serving without any care or consideration for anyone else whatsoever, but their dog. Thank you for your reasonable and impartial response. I wish there were more dog owners who were as considerate as you.

• No. No reason for it. Especially in a restaurant. When food is being served it’s unsanitary. Animals are dirty. Some people are allergic. Not all dogs are mannered. Imagine the dog fights. The owners of misbehaved dogs would take advantage.

1|3
    1|1
    • Pretty much what I said too. Agreed. 👍

• Show All
    • Finally someone who thinks like me. @ zoe2187

• I'm more concerned about people. You know the ones with guns, knives, vehicles and diseases that are allowed everywhere. I've never had a problem with a dog, but I've had people cause trouble while at a restaurant and at my old work.

Most Helpful Guys

• Absolutely not!

For people who feel entitled to want dogs into a pub/restaurant, this would be under the poor assumption that EVERYONE attending a pub or a restaurant wants, or is even remotely willing to have a sniffing, slobbering, jumping, barking, whimpering annoyance around you, and that this is "cute" for everyone. Yeah, not so much.

It also calls into question the sanitation and overall cleanliness of such a place. I know I certainly wouldn't go to any pub or restaurant like that! BARF! 🤢 Not to mention if this started, it would also entitle ALL owners - even owners with vicious dogs - to bring them with them because they feel entitled to, simply because places like this exist for them to bring their dog with them. It just seems like a mauling waiting to happen, let alone all the other annoying things dogs do. No freakin' way.

With that said, if dog owners want to have dogs in a pub/restaurant, then there should be separate "doggie" establishments (yuck), and not in ALL pubs and restaurants. Leave everyone else out of it. If you want it, go create it. Leave the rest of the world out of it. Don't impose your will on everyone else. And good luck with the sanitation department.

2|1
    0|0
  • I love dogs, but I don’t think they should be allowed in pubs and restaurants because those are places where cleanliness should be a theme. Clean floors, counters, clean uniforms, and even clean bathrooms. These are places where you are drinking and eating so they should be clean. You can’t monitor the cleanliness of every person’s dog inside your pub or restaurant. They can poop, throw up, or pee while in the restaurant which can cause other people around to be disgusted and most likely not want to eat at that restaurant again. I understand service dogs for the disabled, veterans, blind, etc. But I think allowing everyone’s dog for any reason is not necessary at a place like a pub or restaurant due to obvious hygienic reasons. Some people may not feel the same way you do about dogs, so allowing dogs into an establishment is showing no consideration for other people’s wishes.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 18

• NO X 100

Dog fanatic lovers can downvote however they want me.

It'll only cause litter in these places, which they'll have to clean from time to time thus increasing cost of services offered to customers.

1|7
    1|1
    • There are a whole host of reasons why not to. It's not only disgusting, it's rude and assuming of all other customers. Totally agree. 👍

• OMG, those dogs in the picture!! 😍 Damn, I'm a pet clucky and looking at those cute dogs sitting on the chair and waiting for their food made me want to get one today!!

I think they should be allowed in pubs. Not to the restaurants though as some not properly trained dogs will end up stealing or putting their mouth in other people's food, lol.

0|2
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. No way, no how. If there is a dog or any pet at a restaurant or pub I’m going to, I’m walking right back out. Totally unsanitary.

2|4
    1|1
  • They should actually get preferential treatment... like seated first, best seats in the house... etc

2|1
    1|1
  • Dogs are allowed, but only in Chinese restaurants :P

0|2
    0|0
  • Not indoors, but maybe in an outdoor seating area. It is illegal here to let dogs in a place that serves food, and dogs have better things to do than go out drinking :)

0|1
    0|0
  • There's enough noise with the supposedly mannered human.

I have little to no faith about having peaceful meals if the same human brought dogs to restaurants.

0|1
    0|0
  • hi, i have two german shepherds myself and i like the fact that there are a few places where dogs are allowed, an old English country pup but there wasn't food served allowed dogs, however, there was a spot on the middle chimney breast where one male dog peed once and thereafter all other male dogs would do the same!! personally i dont want dogs in a place where i am eating... so for me the vote is no, not all but i feel the same for smoking, a business should be allowed to choose and then the customers have their choice too xx

1|1
    0|0
  • Me and my friend went to the pub with her dog once. No one flinched , it’s like they didn’t even notice. The dog loved it, we were mostly in the garden bar though.

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if they’re trained and well-behaved enough to not disturb other patrons

1|2
    0|0
  • I'd be in support of as long as there were rules in place

0|1
    0|0
    • Just like a business should have a max capacity of humans, there should be a max pet rule if the place is going to allow it. Also, I don't know if I would be in favor of it at a place that serves food

• I'm fine with dogs on outdoor patios. Inside the building, no - unless the dog is a service dog on duty, of course.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. i would agree with some restaurants/pubs that having a space for pets, but i don't think all of them should allow pets

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they are not safe in pubs and busy restaurants.. someone might trample on their paws.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dog's hair would go into everyone's food.

0|1
    0|0
  • how adorable
    of course

1|1
    0|2
  • Why not? I don't see the problem

0|1
    2|1
    • @curiousnorway I think it would be hilarious 😂
      If people have a problem with animals they should deal with it.

• @curiousnorway yes but the pic on this post is hilarious. So what if dogs bark? Dogs don't have a right to bark? Animals have rights too. Human are animals also

• Only well trained ones that are clean.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 36

• If you let one person do something the rest will follow , Sadly we are sheep and once one person who is a radio star or actor says. I like pink suddenly Pink is the new color ,. Same goes with letting dogs in a place of eating and business unless it's PETCO. Say NO

0|1
    0|0
  • Most pubs in the UK allow dogs, or at least they do in Scotland. I think that's fine but I don't think they should be allowed on restaurants because its typically a different atmosphere. Saying that, I do know someone who owns a restaurant that is dog friendly.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes they should. Dogs are delicious... <3

Oh you mean should be allowed in alive? If there's a segregated section at the back, and a separate entrance/exit door from the main dining room, i guess i could look past it.

2|1
    0|0
  • Not unless they were restricted to an outdoor zone.
    One they smell overtime.
    Two as cute as they are dogs have bacteria all over them from the outside world on their paws nose etc. Some if which could be dangerous to people some roll in their own poop.
    Three there’s no self control one dog could be gentle while others are intrusive there’s nothing to stop them from knocking over your drink or food.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, and in the St. Augustine, Florida area, all restaurants allow pets, at least in their outdoor eating areas and some have a little canine menu. All Ritz-Carlton Hotels allow pets and offer room service, with a special pet menu. I think in the county in which St. Augustine is located (St. John's?) it's a county ordinance.

0|1
    0|0
  • As much as I love canines, it would be an awful idea to allow dogs to walk about in places where food is made for people to eat. As a dog has fur, it's a lot easier to get things stuck in it which can be spread. As Well as dog fur floating about the air and landing in food and drinks. Incredibly unsanitary.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Those service dogs are trained. Fido who barks at everyone and jumps on to the table and pisses and shits on the floor and bites toddlers is not trained. People will take stupid, dirty, aggressive dogs into where people are trying to eat something. There would be dog fights, definitely a lot of shedding and stink, not to mention the barking. NO.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't mind I went in pubs in the UK where they had dogs. BUT, dogs like beer a lot and if they start getting drunk and biting my ass I might change my mind.

2|1
    0|0
  • I don't think they should be allowed. People are eating dogs shed and if they run that's hair in the air which could fall in somebody's food or drink and also travel to the kitchen which I'm pretty sure could run into some health violations

0|1
    0|0
  • Why not? It’s brings business to him. People may get chance to know each other. And you know women love cute doggies lol! Plus if the place a pub. The person may think twice before over drinking. And it’s nice to have company. Even if they don’t talk much. Gives dogs a chance as well to become sociable.

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely not. Finally dog free for the first time in 22 years, I don't want dogs around when I'm out at the bar or restaurant

2|2
    1|0
  • As someone who does not like dogs, I will be turned off by a pub that allow dogs because I do not want to go somewhere and have to deal with dogs and crazy dog people.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Dogs are unhygienic, carries many animal bacteria that not every humans are immune to, can be noisy etc. They can't be compared to children. It's easier to learn children hygiene and mannerism than a dog. In addition there's people who are either allergic or have phobia for dogs. Children don't bother most people as much as dogs can do. Children are people and can be learned to behave like decent people, but dogs can't.

I don't want any barking, peeing, pooping, shredding, dogs putting their nose in people's ass and so on. If pubs and restaurants made a new standard allowing dogs in there, they won't get me as a customer anymore. With dog phobia I wouldn't be able to swallow any foods either with a dog next to me.

1|1
    0|0
  • Fuck no. I don't want some smelly mutt near me when I'm trying to drink or eat. That and you can never know when they'll snap and attack.

1|1
    0|0
  • Guide dogs, behaviour dogs for people with disabilities are allowed in any establishment in the Uk and rightfully so. It is discrimination otherwise, it most certainly would not surprise me if most people here say different seeing as they are against disabilities rights.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like dogs but don't like this idea, although it might be a niche thing that the dog lovers take their dogs out for a walk to the bar.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think the only place dogs belong is their owner's property.
    I should not be forced to tolerate other people's disgusting and dangerous hobbies.

0|1
    0|0
  • Last thing I want with my T-bone is to see and smell dog piss or have some dog want to hump my leg. barking is always wonderful when you are trying to talk with your date. And the smell. Don't tell me your dog is perfect. I was once bitten by a dog that doesn't bite and been in homes with the heavy of dog piss. Why the hell do people need to bring your dog everywhere? We even have baby sitters for infants and children. Are you so insecure that you fear your puppy will be angry at you or do you need their approval of who you dine with. I espically like the one where they tell me the dog is like their child, IF THEY HAD ONE. Might be a reason they are unable to reproduce. I know that women will choose their dog over a man. Hummmmmmmmmmm is that where all those bestiality videos come from?

1|2
    2|0
  • In my book, dogs have no place indoors ANYWHERE.. (except a vet hospital).

1|3
    3|0
    • A dog is a dog is a dog. Treat it with kindness, but not as your child.

• They should be allowed in and be allowed to eat at the table

3|2
    0|0
  • Dogs, like children, should be allowed in only if they are well-socialized.

2|1
    0|0
    • "I think this is idiotic, and must put off more people than it attracts." Well, that's easily determined. If business picks up, you're wrong. If it falls off, you're right. Don't draw conclusions in advance of the data.

• I love dogs but they would have to be super well behaved.

0|1
    0|0
  • They eat shit, lick asses and often smell like shit too. So no thank you.

0|2
    1|0
  • I don't have a problem with dogs in pubs. Restaurants, I'm not sure.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really as people claim that their pets are quite and calm but they can't control it when it bite someone in the pub

0|0
    0|0
  • pubs yes
    food outlets and restaurants no

0|1
    1|0
    • Pubs serving food?

• they tend to have separate areas for restaurant food and bag of pork scratchings at the bar dont count.

• no..

0|2
    1|0
  • Seeing eye dogs yes

1|1
    0|0
  • @Dm_me_puppers should open a pub for dogs

2|1
    0|0
  • No..

0|2
    0|0