10 Tips on How to Feel Attractive and Improve Your Self-Esteem

This is for both my conventional and unconventional beauties out there that are struggling with self love. If you’re reading this know that you are beautiful and worthy of love no matter what anyone else says. Regardless of what shape, size, height, or color you are (and what features you have) you are perfect in every way, shape, and form. When I was younger I didn’t used to think I was beautiful. It took a while for me to get to the point I’m at now where I know that I’m gorgeous. I am happy with what I see when I look in the mirror, and nothing and no one can make me feel otherwise, even when I’m not at my best. I hope that these tips can help you lovely people appreciate your beauty more.

Limit your usage of social media sites such as Instagram/Pinterest/Tumblr

Social media can be a fun way to pass time but photo sites like these revolve so much around beauty that it’s hard to not feel insecure when you’re on them a lot. Take it from me. I am an ambassador for three different clothing companies on Instagram. I had to post photos in their clothes. I got paid the more people used my discount code to buy them. But I’m also thinking of deleting my account soon. People only post themselves at their very best on social media, therefore making those beauty standards unrealistic. These sites will have you thinking your beauty is never enough.

Pamper yourself

Feeling attractive has a lot to do with self love and self care. Take some time out of your schedule to do face masque, moisturize your skin, shape your eyebrows, style your hair...etc. Do things that you think will enhance your outer beauty, but make sure you are doing those things for yourself and not others approval.

Don’t willingly put yourself in a position to second guess your beauty

Seeking validating with things such as rates, “would you date me”, “do you find me attractive” will not help you feel better about yourself. If you’re at a point where you are doing that, then that should be even more of an indication that you are in need of self love. Plus you’re always going to be have some negative opinions, which will only make you feel worse.

Flaunt your imperfections

Instead of trying to hide the things you don’t like about yourself come to terms with them being apart of who you are. After all, beauty is perceptive so your flaws aren’t flaws they’re just insecurities. The more you show love to these “flaws” the less you’ll get disappointed when you have to see them.

Focus on your best physical qualities and amplify them

If you have a a bright color eyes or a gorgeous eye shape use a little mascara to make them pop even more. If you think your body is really nice wear clothes that showcase that (not exposing your body necessarily unless that’s what you want). If you have fabulous hair show it off more. If you have really pretty lips you could maybe try a clear gloss over your lip balm to make them shimmer in the light.

Don’t compare yourself to others

The more you compare yourself to the beauty of others the less you’ll be able to appreciate how truly beautiful you are. Everyone doesn’t look the same and that’s okay. Instead of worrying about what he/she has that you like and may not have, think about what have got going for yourself physically. You can appreciate the beauty of others, just not at the expense of your self-esteem.

Avoid those that make you question your beauty

There are some toxic people in the world that don’t love themselves so much that they try to make you feel bad about the way you look. Those people can come in the form of family, friends, significant others...etc. If someone is constantly making negative remarks about your physical appearance, pointing out your “flaws, or highlighting things they know you’re insecure about, then there’s no need to keep them around.

Find confident friends

This doesn’t mean just stop being around any insecure person but I’d suggest not having a group full of all people who have really low self esteem. Usually when people are comfortable with themselves they bring positive vibes and will try their hardest to uplift you. I learned in my mid teen years that the company you keep really can have a big effect on how you feel about yourself. Being around a lot of people that are going through the exact same negative thing as you are doesn’t usually make things better for either party.

Maintain your hygiene

Being clean and smelling nice is the foundation to not only being attractive but feeling attractive. Having bad hygiene shows that you don’t love yourself the way you should. That’s a big turnoff in friendship and relationships. Most people don’t have this problem unless they’re very depressed or lazy. Just make sure you’re wearing deodorant, brushing your teeth, showering, washing your hair, washing your clothes, and shaving (optional) regularly. Good hygiene is essential in life in general, and in regards to self love and self-esteem.

Realize some people are just evil and pathetic

There are people that may laugh at you, say mean things about you, give you weird looks but you have to ignore those miserable beings. They are trying to make you feel bad about yourself and if you allow them to they have won. Your self love has to be strong enough to out power the criticism and negativity that the world will throw at you, sometimes for no apparent reason.

I hope that some or all of these tips will help you all in your journey towards self love and confidence.

29
16

Most Helpful Girls

• BluesheepOwl

Great mytake. Sometimes I find myself feeling really skinny and I feel too embarrassed to wear short sleeves because I fear people will judge how skinny I am. However, i gained 22 pounds this past year and I am not as skinny as I used to be. I think I am considered normal. But for some reason I have been having those days where I just feel so skinny and embarrassed. And I also been too busy to eat food this past two weeks because of finals week at school. I've just be studying hardcore and not really taking care of myself. I know I should be trying to take care of myself the best I can now instead of later. It is hard.

• I relate to this more than you know. Just last year and list of my life I was sooo skinny. I had to implement a plan to gain weight. I was really self conscious about my size as well and I would wear jeans and jackets often. Honestly though you just have to love yourself as you are while becoming who you want to be. I’m still somewhat on a weight gain journey because I lost a lot these last couple of month from school and stress. I have to gain it back. But while I was in the process of gaining weight last year I remembered that my size at the time was still beautiful no matter how small I was, and I started wearing dresses, skirts, and tank tops again. Rather you are underweight or just slim don’t let that affect you thinking your body is beautiful. I know it’s harder said than done when it comes to body image but you can get there trust me. Finals are right around the corner for me as well so I definitely understand. Keep making an effort 😊!

• Wow you are so nice :) thank you for the kind words,
      I really do appreciate it. I wish you luck on your journey to gaining weight. What worked for me was counting my calories every day so I could make sure I was eating enough. I always try to eat 3000 calories a day but I usually get around 2500. But it's a goal I try to reach. I'll try my best to improve my body imagine. It's funny how most people say that everyone prefers a skinny body type on a girl over anything else. That is probably true however there are girls like us who are skinny and want to weigh more. I don't see the harm in that as long as you aren't worsening your health.

• Thank you, and I do the same 😊. I use the myfitness pal app to track my daily calorie intake. I try to get in about 2500 but sometimes it’s hard while having a lot of classes. My profile picture was taken this valentine’s day and I prefer my self around that size. I have to gain about eight more ibs to get there again though.

And yes I agree, some people act like skinny girls have no worries in the world and no complaints. It’s not always what it’s cracked up to be. I think being slim is awesome I just like my body proportions more when I’m a little heavier because I carry weight in the places I want. I don’t feel there’s any harm in that either as long as the person is healthy 😊😊. I hope that in time you are able to see the beauty in your body now, while in the process of getting the body you’ll have at the end of your weight gain journey. I truly enjoyed reading such a relatable comment.

• Secret6620

I literally do all these things. And I feel beautiful and loved 😍❤️

Most Helpful Guys

• Anonymous

Maybe don't compare looks, but I don't know how I can not compare myself to other men. If you have an ego it's almost second nature. If you want to accomplish and feel accomplished, to figure what that success is. It's often noticing what the the standard skill is, look, job and be being than the average man. I'm a competitive person, so I will want to do better than other guys, it gives a sense of accomplishment to keep filling and internal resume of what you're than other men at.

• Pushing yourself to be better in certain areas in life by comparing yourself to others is not a bad thing for everyone. I do it all of the time in regards to school work. I was referring more to physical attributes. That’s where it usually becomes detrimental to a person’s self esteem.

• GuidoThePizzaMaker

Self-esteem comes from within. I think there are a lot of psychological and spiritual factors too, but you covered all the practical material stuff.

Even as a man, I can't let myself go, I get lonely and begin letting my looks deteriorate. Thanks, this reminded me to take care of myself

• You’re very welcome. I’m very happy that you benefited from reading this 😊😊.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

1427
  • Liam_Hayden

I'll never look like a male model but I also never have a lack of a date when I want one because I'm happy and fun..

• You don’t have to look like a male model. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone was model material.

• lightbulb27

Yes. I really think some, a lot of beauty comes from inside and emits out. It's how you think about yourself and what you believe about yourself that speaks volumes. There is physical beauty... shape, proporition, etc.. but there is emotional beauty as well.

• Kdude010

These photos make lean and "fit" people appear fun and friendly, yet not one of them have a friend with a different body shape.

• Well I’m lean and fit and one of my closest friends is the exact opposite. These photos are just photos, plus the blonde in the bikini is literally a plus sized model but go off.

• Kdude010

She's not plus size. There's nothing plus-size about her. Lean and "fit" people compare plus-size models to being obese. Does she look obese to you? I'm lean and fit and I have friends of various body shapes. Just pointing out the bs.

• Obviously she doesn’t look obese. I’m not the one that labeled her as plus sized: SHE did as well as anyone else that made reference to her in modeling. I watched her on tv and have been following her for years, so say what you want but she’s considered a plus sized model. Plus your intitial statement is a really bold accusation to make for some photos in a my take. Maybe in your experiences that’s true but you’re saying that like it’s a fact. I literally live on a college campus with 20,000 other people and most “lean and fit” people like myself have all types of friends with different bodies. Stop reaching.

• JohnAlaska43

This was good. I think guys can take some of those things as well.
    Dont hide things is good find how to exploit our imperfections and show how handsome we can be. Guys having friends can help too. Limiting social media is a good and healthy thing.

Women need to know they are beautiful you dont have to look like a super model. But you can be who and what you are. Confidence in self is a good trait to have for sure.

• FreeLeave

I agree with the post! Good job putting this together <3

• JonRock

Great advice. Especially when your actually good looking.

• TripleAce

ya but you don't need any of these, you lookin' like a snack though...

• dalibara

That’s the sweetest my take I ever read. You’re very pretty by the way.

• yasii

A pretty nice take. Fortunatelly I don't make a habit of comparing myself to other women. but it was still interesting to read

• IlyaTheImpaler

What if I want to feel more beautiful than other people? do these tips work?

• Yes, but that is more associated with vanity. I mean I’m not like that and I don’t really think it’s a good thing to be that way, but as long as you’re not projecting that on the outside it’s pretty harmless. Go for it I guess, just don’t put other people down in the process.

• Here’s my thing. If feeling more beautiful than others makes you happy you can totally do that. It just should never be the type of thing where others know that you feel that way because it can hurt their feelings. You can still flaunt your insecurities (that is ofc if they’re actually insecurities because you sound pretty comfortable with yourself). Do what makes you happy 😊.

• okay I no longer want to feel beautiful, normal is good

• Pulimuli

My eyes would look awesome with mascara. Not socially acceptable though 😅

• Furuok

Fair! People different from place to place. Racism is real so are negative people. Best advice the more show is the light you represent. Dressing up to go out is fine. Getting attention from your SO should be easy. The younger generation doesn't understand the cruel world. Live and learn people should choose families. It's a emotional rollercoaster anyway. To be attractive just takes a smile! Haters

• ElvenMr

These pictures in the post are not helping lol.
    But this is a helpful post even if you are not a girl.

• Number39

Feeling attractive isn't the same as being attractive but you can always approve body wise (working out) and keeping good hygiene

• Valnac

All good points. One thing I would add though. If you need to tone up certain ares, get a membership to a gym. If you’re not sure, there are trainers that can help. Planet Fitness comes to mind.

• bklynbadboy1

Honestly you just have to love yourself and the skin your in and not let society brain wash you

• Sofie1979

Agreed and lot are women who negativity come from women.

• girly_talk

Pampering's my go-to. Nothing's more satisfying than giving yourself your own spa day.

• Joker_

You're right, everyone else is just evil and pathetic

• Smegskull

I find women who "feel attractive" tend to devolve into entitled narcissists.

• Kaytiee

Thats a weird generalisation. Nothing wrong with loving yourself.

• Kaytiee

You obviously know nothing about loving yourself. As to love yourself, you acknowledge all your flaws and imperfections, Phsyical and mental. You learn to accept them and work on them. You obviously don't know much about self respect and love.

• Smegskull

Just once I would like one of these disagreements to not turn into character attack fallacies so quickly.

Everything in moderation as they say including loving yourself. Good luck with your 20s though.

• KittyKat90210

I love this post ❤️

• Miss_Savanna_Dry

Love your take ❤✌

• GirlThatDraws

What if you're like me and you're both ugly on the inside and outside?

• BiggestBoss

How to feel attractive : Actually be attractive.

• Rather you feel attractive or not is not linked to how attractive you are (which is perceptive by the way so it varies depending on who is judging you. Therefore no one is actually attractive/unattractive across the board). That would explain some mean arrogant people that look like tree monsters (such as the girls that bullied me growing up), thinking they’re the best looking person on the planet. Everyone doesn’t let how beautiful and confident they feel be determined by how others see them, which is a good thing.

I could’ve easily made a My Take entitled: “How to be societies definition of attractive” and give equally good advice about changing physical appearance, but that’s not what this is. This is about how that person sees themselves which is MOST important. So in regards to your “how to feel attractive: be attractive” comment that was the wrong way to look at it love. How you feel about the way you look is mostly psychological. A million people can tell you you’re attractive and you still don’t think you are, where as a million people can tell you you’re not and you still think you are.

• Welp im screwed

• Secretgardenblood

Good take

• Eleni91

Good Take.

• Clarke498

Great My-Take. Agree with all of this.

• DaMack999

Awesome take.

• shyapples2

Great take! You actually are attractive though 😂

• Máiiréad

Thank you!

• Alyssa_K

That is so true.

• ROCKS128

Yes.

Less usage of such pics also helps.

• S_Rose

Good job! but not so easy to follow!

• Thank you. Honestly, I don’t think it’s that hard to follow. I’ve given most of these tips to people I know in my life that struggled with this and implimented the ones I needed as well over the years. It won’t happen overnight and it’s a pretty gradual process, but it really is pretty easy.

• Rangers

Okay...

• John_Doesnt

Some people get it and some people don't.

• wanna2

This freckled girl here is smoking hot!!!

• Anonymous

Nice.

• Anonymous

What helped me was getting picked up by a beautiful Columbian. She had a phat ass and she was tall and beautiful, and the fact that she liked me helped me feel good about myself

• Anonymous

K, now write one for men. STRAIGHT MEN

• yasii

I don't know what part couldn't be applied to straight males? The keeping up your hygiene part?

• Most of these are applicable to men tho

• Wally48

@yasii. True. I've noticed that many INCELS have grooming issues.

• Anonymous

Nice take

• Anonymous

It took a lot of scrolling for me to find this but these tips are really goood.