The #Spam Tag Idea

I had a revelation come to me in the shower (I swear, I don't think about GAG all the time) and wanted to share my idea and hopefully implement it. ☺

I'm sure you GAGers come across spam here and I like to think you all report any spam you see, which is good because it'll eventually be removed. However, if you report the post, then leave a comment with the tag #Spam, a moderator can look up the hashtag and immediately hide the post. If Ubermods come across it, they can also freeze the spamming account, stopping them in their tracks. It would be a quicker, more efficient way of removing spam here.

This idea could also be used for posts which are breaking the other GAG rules. For those, maybe the hashtag #ModPlease could be used? I know some of you feel like the mods don't remove enough bad posts, but that's usually because we've not come across it. GAG is a huge website filled with millions of posts, so we could improve with your help!

It's difficult for us mods to find all posts which break the rules here, so if you guys lead us to the offending posts, it can be dealt with sooner. You'll technically be like mini-moderators (not a real term but we'll roll with it) who'll help the moderators improve the site here for the community you enjoy being a part of!

What are your thoughts?

The #Spam Tag Idea

36
Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• gotcha! this suggestion beats all of my own i made in da past *high-5*

but still will this help in order to get rid of this anon female 18-24 who spams in no-opinions section on a daily basis?

technically she doesn't violate any GAG rules since she responds to question's title (which isn't against GAG rules) but she acts just like a spammer... or a bot better! i caught her once post in 4 different questions (long-descriptioned) within 2-3 mins, and i've "saved" more than 10 links includin her answers...

a human brain cannot read those questions in such a small time i guess... so she just posted under each one like a robot LOL

• Thanks! :D Hm, you should probably keep an eye on her if her actions are weird. Maybe you could talk to an admin and see what they think? I guess, if other users tagged her posts, then you'd have a second opinion and then you could hide that post.

• Agreed this person (or ppl?) drives me nuts

• @lanternhill thanks :)

no sure thing's she's 1 person... sure there r anon females aged 18-24 who do this but 95% among anon/female/18-24 posts r hers!

Most Helpful Girl

• Could ubermods freeze the anon spamming accounts too? I know there's a lot under the HDIL topic but all anon -_- there's one guy that said "its easier to create many accounts than to gain xper" - I was telling him to feature the question cause he wants more opinions. He's still posting it every night tho.

Nice idea by the way 😊

• We can freeze them but since being an ubermod, I've only froze two accounts and they weren't even spamming as in advertising, it was about their posts. I haven't come across a full on spammer.

I don't know what he means by that and thanks. :)

• Ah okays, understood. Thank you (:

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 5

What Girls Said 2

• Yes, great ideas, Hannah591. Maybe users will start doing these things if they read this myTake :)

• Why not just start doing it and see if it's useful?

• Well no-one would start doing it unless they were informed of the idea in the first place.

• I mean if you encourage people here to do it. I don't know. Mention it to the admins?

• An admin has seen it below and agrees with it. I was hoping users would see this and start doing it.