"Freedom of speech" vs "freedom not to be verbally abused"

Brainsbeforebeauty
Freedom of speech vs freedom not to be verbally abused

This mytake is to address the growing issue on this site and probably many other online sites although this is the only online site I'm on....

And to clear up the misunderstanding, misconception and misuse of what Freedom of Speech is and MEANS...

OPINIONS!!
OPINIONS!!
PEOPLE FORGET THAT PART๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

And the DIFFERENCE between FREEDOM OF SPEECH and VERBAL ABUSE...

PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!
PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

Freedom of Speech....

*Yes you have a right to freely voice your opinions, thoughts, beliefs..

*Yes you have a right to disagree with other's opinions, thoughts, beliefs

*Yes you have a right to "civilly" discuss, argue your points and difference in opinions....

"You have a right to not engage with someone you wish not to....

But here is where the problem starts, comes in, When you take away other's rights.......

Verbal Abuse and Not Freedom of speech...

*People also have a right to freely express their opinions,thoughts, beliefs....

Without being personally attacked or verbally attacked....

*People should also have the right to disagree with other's opinions, thoughts, beliefs...

Without being maliciously insulted or bullied ....

*People should also have a right to "civilly" discuss, argue their points and difference in opinion...

Without being called slanderous names, without being stalked or harassed....

People also have a right to not engage with someone they wish not to....

Without you creating other accounts to continue to abuse, stalk or harass them...

Without getting other users to gang up on them, stalk, or harass them..

*People have said "If you can't handle insults maybe you shouldn't use it...

No how about if you don't know how to conduct yourself properly, maybe you shouldn't use the internet...

*People say the internet is not real life

You're not physically in person but the PEOPLE are still REAL so how is it not real life?

All people should have the privilege to use the internet without abuses. There is a big difference between calling someone's opinion stupid and calling them stupid... Or to call people bitches, cunts, sluts, etc.,etc.

And watch how many will attack me or this post and you can, or say I'm trying to censor people. No I'm not, I'm trying to get the point across that you can't say people are taking your rights away, because it is not A RIGHT to abuse people. You have your rights but I also have rights too, to:

Remove any replies that are just to insult me....

Report any abuse on this post

Remove and or Report, And Block any Anons that thinks they can be abusive as ANON (I will not make this where Anons can't reply, but will block any Anons that are abusive so I don't have to deal with them anymore)

Not respond to those that haven't read the WHOLE mytake(if you can't be bothered to read the whole post, I can no longer be bothered to reply...

And no I'm not acting like I'm perfect or do no wrong, but I know I don't take my frustrations out by abusing others, I don't abuse others for entertainment or sport... Verbally abusing people is not sport it's ABUSE

PLEASE KEEP THIS SITE AND THE INTERNET SAFE AND FUN FOR EVERYONE!!

As always thank you for reading ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ

'Brainsbeforebeauty"๐Ÿ˜˜

68
10
10Girl Opinion
68Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Yads_Is_Back
    First, I love how you provided a good list of examples of what is considered abusive. Because people, especially here, tend to take things not even close to that list as insults, which is really a show of insecurity on their part. So the list provides a good foundation. A lot of times insults are not abuse and really aren't insults unless you take it that way. Some people are actually insecure enough to take little meaningless things as offensive.
    Second, freedom of speech is like any other freedom: it's limited and yours stops where another person's starts. That's hard to comprehend in a selfish society.
    Third, the creating other accounts and stalking/trolling somebody with it... omg. People need to get lives. lol
    Lastly, you need to write a book or put all your myTakes in a book. I'll be the first one to buy it.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • To your first-I agree people take to much as insult which you get that I want taking about that as so many others didn't, so thank you!!!
      To your second-OMG THANK YOU!! You're intelligent enough to get the difference, sadly not enough people are
      To your third-right!!! Agree ๐Ÿ’ฏ+
      And to your last-aww thank you ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿค—
      Seriously, might be the best answer here and not just cuz of the compliment ๐Ÿคฃ because you understand I'm not trying to censor or take away someone's rights, just trying to point out when you do those abuses to people where they feel fed up or unsafe, you're taking their rights away.. someone I know in real life sadly closed her account on GAG and she was a long time user and part of how I knew of GAG in the first place... Why should good users like her have to leave because of people that used this site to take their aggressions out on others or do it for entertainment or sport...
      Again, thank you!!!๐Ÿ™‚

• bullies cannot stand seeing themselves in the mirror, and lash out at the light

• @SandandWaves well said so true!

Most Helpful Guy

• TCredo
    Great My Take Toots and should be required reading for anyone using GaG or any other site/app like it. If you think GaG gets bad... browse around Twitter for a few minutes lol.

I don't have much to add to all your great points. Will just say I enjoy a good argument or debate on all sorts of topics but it's getting sadder with how rare it is to have a healthy exchange of different opinions and ideas.

I truly believe one of the most human things is to be curious about other opinions and use them to challenge your own or just to understand others etc... I think everyone is born with that attribute.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you and thank you for getting in not trying to censor someone's speech... There's disagreeing, there's arguing, and even insults, like the guy that called me toots ๐Ÿคฃ obviously he was trying to insult but then some people take to even further than that... I've seen replys on posts in fee answered where people told people they should just kill themselves like wtf and other worse things... Is starts becoming less insult and more verbal attack in my opinion

• TCredo

Sadly I've seen the same and agree with you... I do believe in karma and folks who post verbal abuse will hopefully someday get what's due them. I know it's not easy for everyone but I do wish people would ignore it - and know it's more a sign of the abuser's weaknesses and troubles... but I know that's not easy especially when the abuse is that awful.

• But if just ignore the issues they will never go away, they'll just get worse. Abuse shouldn't be ignored it should be addressed, stopped shouldn't it ๐Ÿค”

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

967
  • SjE78
    freedom of speech is for all, in many cases passionate people become so invested in what they believe, that they may argue and come across as loud or aggressive, some people do get irate, while others can become abusive...

however if someone is saying something that another doesn't like for example a difference of oppinion (not talking about shittalking someone down) then their words can in fact be interpreted as verbal abuse... when in reality it isn't...

now if someone is constantly putting someone down, and calling them derogatory things cos of sex, ethnicity, colour, orientation or something else they dont like... this is not freedom of speech, but instead it is bullying and not to be tolerated...

many people these days like to get involved in protests and activist activities but they can't understand the argument from the other side, and they cannot see past their own views... this in itself is dangerous, especially with the way the world is atm...

we have people seeing racism and genderism even sexism even in places where it isn't an issue... but cos someone uses a certain word or phrase it is automatically racist, sexist. abusive or offensive... hell i read an article where by the use of a full stop is considered offensive... i mean what the fuck is wrong with some people, are we that far enlightened or are they that woke that they forgot how to use proper punctuation and/or grammar...

(so to all those who believe it is, i used more)

we all have a choice when hearing someone elses oppinion (s), we can either listen and respect/understand there point, accept they have a right to their views, but ultimately expect them to respect and/or understand we have a right to disagree... or we can report the world for being uniquely filled with people who have their own opinions of life...

if everyone shared the exact same views, no one would be happy...
    Like 1 Person
    • I agree.. Everyone had a right to their own views and to disagree or argue their point... But they don't have a right to call people bitch, whore, cunt, slut, fucking loser, fatass loser who just can't get a woman, etc... That's not free speech, that's abusive behavior... Could prolly talk/behave that way on their job? Or at school? It other places? So why is it acceptable behavior online? There was a post by a 16 year old yesterday and some adults were being over rude in the things they were saying... Come on she's a teenager.. Since when is it okay for Adults to bully teenagers online,? That is not free speech... Noone's trying to take away anyone's rights... But since when did abusing it bullying someone become a right? And last I checked, it is against GAG rules... ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• SjE78

exactly as that isn't freedom of speech, that is abuse/bullying I have seen so many on here who have belittled people regardless of gender and many of the things those people have said were without any call for their reactions, it's disgusting in my opinion and when i see shit like that happening I always end up making sure it is reported, and downvoted as much as possible...

• I appreciate that you do that. Not that that really does much good if GAG don't take it seriously enough... It's not enough to just remove those posts in my opinion. If the same user keeps being overly offensive they should ban that user. But then nothing really stops em from just creating a new account ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ I've thought about just leaving this site.. But there is some cool people on here and then also that's just letting the haters win

• ecfresh
    Thank you as always for thinking outside of the box and generating content. I have a few thoughts.

First and most importantly: freedom of speech is an absolute right and should be defended with our lives. If fact I often make it a point to say thank you to those who have served in the military and those family members of current and former servicemen. Literally people died in US history to fight for and win our freedom of speech. So any attempts to take it away from our country will never succeed. This is a core value to what makes America great.

Past that I had two items of feedback:

Speech on a 1 vs 1 basis is fair and in fact encouraged. Having civil conversations where two people can argue, educate, and most importantly LISTEN are very important here on GaG. Individuals will always have their own opinions and the ability to go back and forth in a mature way is one of the best parts of this site. All that said what sucks frankly is bullying, piling on, and multiple people attacking one person. Thatโ€™s no longer civil and fair. In those situations people need to use their speech to stand up for the one and tell the group to piss off. Bluntly speaking itโ€™s weak and immature to cruelly attack someone as a mob online.

Also while I understand and agree with some circumstances to be able to post anonymously, I wish that ability would have some limits because when someone attacks from a place of anon they donโ€™t harm their reputation. Personally I chose to not post anon because I believe in my reputation and in speaking the truth. People can go back 2 years and call me out on any hypocritical comments. But when someone goes anon into an online โ€˜fightโ€™, their reputation canโ€™t be harmed and obviously they can push buttons and troll. Sadly that results in online abuse and really hurts people. There is no real penalty for posting hurtful and evil comments when you go anon.. thatโ€™s just wrong. Again we canโ€™t take anon away and I would be two faced to say anon should have a filter on any comments; just expect adults to act like adults.

Ya I know thatโ€™s a lot of words and not many will read them. But I will finish by apologizing if anything I have said has been harmful. I donโ€™t think itโ€™s weak to apologize, and I try to not hurt people with my words. What I do try to do is be honest and I try to LISTEN to others. If you take anything away, I hope we all choose to LISTEN and empathize with our fellow members a little bit more moving forward.
    Like 1 Person
    • Noone is trying to take away freedom of speech... But there's a difference between speech and verbal abuse..
      Bitch, cunt, slut, fat fucker low life man who can't get laid, etc., etc.
      Could people talk to their boss at work like that and get away with it ๐Ÿค”
      Or their coworkers, ๐Ÿค”
      So why do they think it's okay to behave that way online?
      Anyways, but that is also against site rules of GAG...
      Freedom of speech is to express your opinions and beliefs.. It doesn't mean free to abuse people and verbal abuse is abuse

• ecfresh

Thatโ€™s why I brought up the topic of reputation. Sure we can say anything we want, but words have consequences. Per your example calling your boss an asshole to her face could lead to losing your job. However here on GaG and especially with anon posts, there are no consequences to abusive words and expressions.

• Oh I agree they need to get rid of the ANON feature... I mean you can report and block them but doesn't do much... Especially with the multiple fake accounts ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• JackSmy
    I have read your words, and they are good, and I agree with most, except, Who decides what is free speech, and what is 'bullying' and 'abusive'?
    I agree, most, sane, intelligent people, have some social 'graces' and know when they are crossing lines, but what about those, from other cultures, that do not share the same values, and concepts and perceptions, and simply say what they think, WITHOUT INTENDING HARM, but that is PERCEIVED as offensive, to the one hearing it?
    Should the speaker be held liable, without INTENT TO HURT, when the one hearing feels HURT?
    How can anyone control another's feelings and perceptions, and understandings, especially, here, through text?
    Maybe everyone needs to take a moment, and think, pause, and consider, maybe asking for clarification of intent, before judging and condemning another for a simple statement.
    Seems that soooooo many are so quick to CHOOSE to take offense, to almost everything, rather than reread, and understand the INTENT, and just RELAX a little!
    I know, not addressing all of your points, but this one is the first step to the rest, I think.
    Disagree 1 Person
    • That's so not true.. calling people bitch, cunt, slut, fucking loser, fat ass loser who just can't get laid, etc? Anyone who thinks that's not MEANT to be offensive, anyone who thinks it's OKAY to talk to people like that.. That's NOT free speech, that's VERBAL ABUSE and NOT OKAY... Could people talk/act like that on their job or to their boss? Or at school? So why do people think they can do it online? I answered a question from a 16 year old poster and you should of seen the way done people don't to her. Do it's okay for Adults to treat a teenager much less anyone else like that online? No it's not... And it's also against GAG rules, not that people follow the rules on here anyway and not that GAG enforces them enough

• *some people talked to her

• JackSmy

@Brainsbeforebeauty I agree, to a point, but in a society with FREE Speech, sometimes you are going to be offended, and sometimes hate what the other says!
      They have the right to say what they think, just like you have the right to say they are an assbag, and full of sht!!!
      When you start censoring certain words, and then contexts, it isn't FREE SPEECH anymore!

There is a LINE between FREE SPEECH and ABUSIVE SPEECH, and that is defined, by the courts!
      I wish people had the sense, and social graces to be respectful, but they obviously don't!

Now, it seems EVERYONE wants to BAN this, BAN that, REGULATE this, REGULATE that!!! WTF ever happened to being a GROWN UP, and HAVING RESPECT for those around you? That would solve most of this!!
      Once you start banning things, it is an endless, slippery slope to 1984, by Orwell!! i don't want to live in a world like that!! Ever read it?

• SnowyOwl
    the word freedom is overused and misused, on one hand. And on the other hand, people get so offended by ANY thing these days. Either way, I think people should just stop going to extremes. Reporting an offence to the police is still a thing, taking distance from toxic people is a thing that should be considered more, and taking events less personally should be more of a thing to. The world doesn't turn around any of us in particular. Life is so much more peaceful when you realize that
    Like 3 People
    • Someone wanting to use the internet, or have their children or their grandchildren or any children be able to use the internet without being verbally abused attacked, harassed, stalked or bullied is not thinking the world turns around any of us in particular... Can you be toxic on your job? No you would get fired.. Can you do those actions anywhere else without consequences for your actions? No.. So people should not be able to use the internet because of toxic people? How about toxic people not being able to use the internet..

• SnowyOwl

@Brainsbeforebeauty Toxic people are everywhere. And they do not get fired. And they do not get separated from their children. And they get defended by lawyers, and friends, and a lot of people in society. Its not just about the words a person uses. A lot of toxic people are manipulators. SO that's why Im saying, there are things that matter more than words. And yes, you should protect your kid from the harassment that could happen online. I think a lot of it is teaching them to recognize what to step away from. Even without the internet, haters will be there.

• I don't know where you work but people would not be allowed to call people bitches cunts sluts on the job and still have a job any where I've ever worked.. They'd get written up, then suspended or terminated... It's not just words.. It's verbal abuse... It's a sign of the times tho... Defend the toxic people and tell other people what they should and shouldn't do instead of addressing the issue with the abusers, blame the police for the way they handle criminals instead of doing more to stop crime... It's getting so ridiculous these days...

• b5fan
    I agree with the post to some extent in that users of this forum should treat each other with respect and that there should be decorum on these forums. And some of these

The definition you cited of Verbal Abuse is overly broad however:
    Yelling/screaming -- not really applicable here... but isn't that what protesters do?
    Insults -- while I agree you shouldn't insult others on this form, Insults are very much free speech.
    Mocking -- quintessential free speech. Late night TV mocks the president daily.
    Sarcastic comments -- again quintessential free speech.
    Intimidating threats -- This is not and can be considered a crime so I agree with you here.
    Disregard for fellings -- Freedom is speech IS the right to offend. The best way to combat offensive ideas is with better ideas, not censorship. Otherwise the ones who are offended most easily control all debate.
    Cursing/swearing -- Sorry this is free speech as well.
    Manipulating words -- who defines this?
    Name calling -- free speech... just look at President Trump.
    Negative criticism -- how can you debate without criticizing the other point of view? Unless you are saying there should be no debate?

That being said I agree that you shouldn't direct verbal abuse towards other members, their ideas should be fair game. Otherwise there will be no free exchange of ideas which is what I see as free speech.

Sorry for replying one month after your post.
    Like 1 Person
    • Some do some don't. I don't know because the wrong things are being protested... There was 17 shootings in ONE day in my city last Thursday, one killed, a17 year old boy, yet no protests for him? Why, cuz it wouldn't stir up the race issue enough as it was a black person that shit and killed another black person.. So much for BLM๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• b5fan

I do agree that the wrong things are protested many times. The best way to handle that is with another protest where you state the right thing to protest and advocate for the right change. One of my problems with BLM is their proclivity to say everyone whoever isn't with them is against them. And they will create an ad homidium campaign against voices of dissent. I have no problem if they attack ideas, unfortunately they attack people who disagree.

• Omg.. Right.. I've been accused of being racist.. Even though I don't see color, I just see people.. Raised my kids that way.. But if a white person disagrees with a black person, they racist, and if a black person disagrees with a black person, they an uncle Tom , so WHO'S being more racist there? ๐Ÿค” Just saying ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• kespethdude
    Verbal abuse falls under "defamatory and/or incindiary speech" and is, in fact, NOT protected by the First Amendment. Your rights end when they encroach others. Respect has to be earned. Insert other statement of common sense here.

Some people need to check their privileges.
    Like 1 Person
    • In other words, I agree FULLY with your mytake, good job.

• THANK YOU!! Some people on here aren't just overly abusive, they obviously don't get what the first amendment actually is and every it protects and what it doesn't...

• Tom1089
    Emigrate, freedom of speech is not a thing everywhere. Unfortunately people feel the need to run others down in life to make themselves feel superior or have dominance over people. Hiding behind anonymous comments is further compounding the fact that you don't stand by what you are saying. Its about being constructive not destructive. And unfortunately people would rather destroy what someone else has acchived than to help them build something better.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • Thank you!!! You get it!!! Sadly tho not enough do which also shows and explains why society is becoming as messed up as it is... There was a user jumping on anyone who agreed with this take if he was just disagreeing or arguing that point, that's one thing no he started insulting and saying crazy crap. But still didn't block till the said he will verbally or physically abuse Whoever he wants if it's warranted TF see that's a sick person with issues... And yeah I blocked him.. But he's the perfect example of why I did this point.. People have distorted views of what their rights are. Another user stated it perfectly. Your rights stop where another person's starts...

• *, why I did this post

• Tom1089

The sad thing is its a vicious circle, dont rise to them. Its usually a psychological reason usually the bullied become the bullies. All you can do is pity them.

• ArrowheadSW
    People claim all sorts of weird things labeled as "freedom of speech" just to justify their own antisocial behavior. There was a guy who worked for the same company as me, several years ago, who was from another country and he had all sorts of anti-American views that he tried to shove down everyone's throat. When people disagreed with him, he said that he "really didn't have freedom of speech" because people disagreed. He was an ass.
    Like 1 Person
    • Sounds like one.. If he was so anti-America why was he here and not just go back to the county he came from then ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• He had his reasons so he said. He was such a huge hypocrite. He said he didn't believe women should be in the workforce. Yet his wife was a full time nurse and he didn't complain about her paycheck coming in. PLUS he said that she did all of the housework and cooking. He was an ass.

• There was a Mexican guy trying to talk to me that was racist against all black people bad enough cuz I'm not racist nor would I ever date one, but then he was against all Americans, like uh hello... "Oh but you different, you German and Irish" uh hello still American... He was yeah... smh lol

• purplepoppy
    The problem I have with free speech is to many people try use it to give extra weight to their cause. Because freedom is a part of most western cultures, most noticeably America, adding the term "free speech" is an attempt to make you appear more patriotic and anyone who disagrees less so.
    Like 1 Person
  • RolandCuthbert
    I tend to side with the whole free speech thing. I just think the issue in America is that people want freedom from consequences. You can definitely say anything you wish, but you have to pay the price when you do. So if you don't like homosexuals but run a business where you have homosexual clients, you have to understand they are perfectly within their rights to stop using their services. And others who dislike your rhetoric should be free to use other services.

What I find at GaG is that most folks here don't seem to understand this extends to employees also. If you are an employee of an organization and you espouse racist or sexist views, they can terminate your employment because your views reflect negatively on them. That is their right.

The funny thing is people have gotten termed for a lot less. BLM supporters have been fired for trying bring literature or their views into the workplace. I have seen people get fired for getting a lunch order wrong.

It is just the way it goes in a capitalistic society.
    Like 2 People
  • AmandaYVR
    Well done, BBB. Iโ€™m glad you wrote this to define and differentiate them. So many people conflate the two and thatโ€™s just not right.
    Iโ€™ve been down this road before, though, and Iโ€™m afraid I donโ€™t have much hope. The pushback is veracious.
    Like 2 People
    • Thank you ๐Ÿ’œ And yeah I know.. But even if it wakes up one person...๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• AmandaYVR

Yep, musnโ€™t be complacent, right. Fight for what we believe in. Anarchyโ€™s no good.

• ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

• Citizenkirk
    Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are absolute, conditional too appropriate format of public distribution. Verbal abuse is not typically considered a form of personal expression of philosophical, religious, spiritual, ethical, or social relativistic iss because abuse is not a two way form of communication, and communicating aggression or violence are not protected by the Bill of Rights. Peaceful demonstrations, televised debates, fund raisers, public awareness campaigns, and such, have rules of conduct and established public forums enforced both by law, and unspoken social convention going back too the original drafting of the Constitution (atrocious, barbaric, Mad Max style behaviors of the House and Senate for the first 75 years of our federal government's history not withstanding.) Of the United States of America 🇺🇸. The same point can be made that my CCP authorizes me too carry a sidearm concealed from open view, but with exceptions, like banks, federal buildings, most schools, and a number of other places that even local law enforcement are sometimes prohibited from entering with a loaded firearm.
    Like 1 Person
  • joeblow123
    You must be an AOC fan. You cry like she does. Your feelings do not take priority over my rights. That is why freedom of speech exists. To protect unpopular speech. Popular speech doesn't need protection. It sounds like you want to be insulated from the consequences when it comes to the decisions you make.
    LikeDisagree 4 People
    • You sound like you're making a lot of assumptions that couldn't be further from the truth... Who said this was about me... It's about anyone abusing anyone online... C and that's not what free speech is... And anyway being overly offensive is sharing the rules on this site.. Maybe you need to read them again... If I survived the death of my husband don't think people in the internet are really going to hurt me boo hoo ๐Ÿ˜ญ lolol but why do you think it's okay for Adults to swear at and bully teenage users on this site... And call it your rights? Do they not have the right to use the internet. Don't use your rights to take away others... And don't make false assumptions not people you don't know well you can that's your right.. Your right to be wrong ๐Ÿคฃ

• OfDeath
    I think the line should be drawn between attacking ideas and attacking individuals. For example it should be perfectly acceptable to say Islam or Christianity is absolute garbage and state the reason but you shouldn't say YOU are absolute garbage because you're a white male or something like that.
    Like 2 People
    • Exactly!!!

• 8lutty

I think it is more importance to read the person u are talking with, dont bash the 'that idea is garbage' to person doesn't want to hear it, like going to the church and shout 'Christianity is absolute garbage', one would be pretty garbage in my opinion if doing that.

• OfDeath

@8lutty Well obviously not. However if they engage you in conversation about their idea which is clear garbage, it shouldn't be off limits to say it. If they get offended, that's good in a way because someone can always change their ideas but they can't change themselves.

• jaju45
    We should use freedom of speech responsibly. People don't have arguments or debates now a days.
    Internet is full of shit today. Everywhere you will see abuse, verbal diarrhea, trolls etc. I think either the social media shall be governed under the law or comment section shall be disabled at all.

So much of hate in these comments have made me quit most of the social media platforms.
    Like 1 Person
    • EXACTLY! People don't get that by thinking they're exercising their right, they are taking away other's rights to use the internet without dealing with abuse, harassment, stalking, threats. . None of which is the definition of FREE SPEECH

• jaju45

Can't agree more..
      But do you know how to stop this? Or resolve the issue?

• MannMitAntworten
    Like it or not, within the public spectrum โ€œverbal abuseโ€ is not barred by the 1st Amendment. It protects โ€œoffensive speechโ€. It is only limited bu causing physical harm. This has been through the Supreme Court and is protected till causing actual harm. Which yelling fire when there is no fire and someone getting hurt as a result would be considered unprotected speech.
    Like 1 Person
    • I get what your saying.. Didn't say it was..
      But it is against the GAG rules to Verbally abuse the users or stalk harass... But people shouldn't think that's acceptable behavior anyway

• GaG isnโ€™t a public space and stalking is illegal in general. GaG is a space โ€˜welcomedโ€™ to the general public just as any place online, but is spheres like this it would fall under harassment. Out on a public sidewalk would be a different matter. Online there are remedies to combat this issues through the respective site host and even through legal channels.

• worldscolide
    oh i agree.. The only thing i stand against is those that wish to cancel people because of what they say.. Loss of a job because of something someone said 20 years ago or something like that.. Just wrong.. But outright abusing someone is not only wrong in some cases its illegal.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
  • IronmanT
    Say what you want and mean... isn't honesty the best thing. But that being said... don't abuse your freedom of speech JUST TO HURT OTHERS. there are many ways to express your thoughts and opinions without being an Ass about it.. try to use your intellectual virtues and less of your primitive ones. Try to at least vocalize your thoughts in a constructive way to push up instead of hold down others you may or may not agree with.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • Thank you!! Great answer ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

• IronmanT

I try to keep things simple and to my knowledge, common sense oriented

• @IronmanT

That is such a pussy answer.

• Alfleria
    Agree.. a lot of people donโ€™t understand the difference between those words. They think verbally abuse someone online is the same as freedom of speech.. thatโ€™s sad..
    Like 1 Person
    • Thank you! And thank you for getting the title is just that, a title.. Some people are acting like I'm saying make a law to censor all speech... Now where TF did I say that ๐Ÿค” The title is meant to show that there's a difference between the two... But, law or not it IS against GAG rules to be verbally attacking people not that they enforce it enough ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ again great answer... Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ’œ

• Alfleria

My pleasure. And I love your username. So true!

• Aww, thank you 💙💜🤗

• jasco
    I agree with what your saying cause people be so mean sometimes and thats not right the act of freedom of speech is suppose to be for civil talking and relations not guns, violence and bs, if we could just sit down and have a chat with everyone online and off i think the world would be a much better place
    Like 1 Person
    • ๐Ÿ’™ love your reply! You're so right... Thank you for reading! ๐Ÿ™‚

• jasco

Ofc i enjoy reading and answer questions and be safe out there

• You too ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

• Show More (56)