The Five Kinds of Males You Will Know

Nice_Guy_Last

*Disclaimer* This MyTake will categorize the male gender. This, however, is not to say that males only fall into these categories. These categories are simply the largest types of males out there, and represent most males in a general since.

The Five Kinds of Males You Will Know

Boys

The Child

We all know many children in our life. All boys were once at this level of social maturity, and some have not yet grown out of it. The characteristics of a child are the opposite to that of a gentleman: they are disinterested, they view others as objects (usually as "toys" in the more innocent of definitions), and they are shy and lack confidence.

Guys

Disinterested

Some guys are just not interested in a relationship, for many varying reasons: they are focusing on school or work, they are committing themselves to a life goal, etc. These guys are probably the most well-rounded of the group that is the Guys, but relationships with them are guaranteed to lack romance. Usually, all they need to do is become interested in romance, and violà, they are gentlemen.

Douchebags

These guys view others as objects. They are brimming with over-confidence that is the result of burying their insecurities about themselves. They are usually very vain, taking an unusual amount of pride in their looks, their possessions, and/or their intellect. In all of their relationships, they are distached emotionally and fleeting.

Nice Guys

Nice Guys are guys who, at their core, are good people, but they haven't matured socially. Some Nice Guys act the way they do because they think that it's what women want. Nice Guys lack confidence, and often dislike themselves: the way they look, their possessions, and/or their intellect. In all of their relationships, they put far too much emphasis on their significant other, to the point that they smother them with attention.

Men

Gentlemen

The pinnacle of manhood, gentlemen embody the best a male can be. Gentlemen take interest in their relationships, valuing the other and themselves within the relationship. They are well rounded individuals who have their life in order, and don't require anything from those they love besides their love. They view their significant other as an equal, a partner on the path of life. They are not afraid of the future, and they always respect the decisions and views of the other, but is also willing to make his own decisions and have his own views. His relationships are strong, held together by mutual respect for the other.

The Five Kinds of Males You Will Know
4
7
4Girl Opinion
7Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• BumbleSuperBee
    Well said mate! Don't listen to those who criticize this. They most probably belong to the douchebag/child category ;D
    Is this still revelant?
    • It's funny: the girls have all been supportive of my Take, while the guys have been dismissive and upset by this.

• Hahaha they have? :D
      They just don't wanna face the truth..

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

37
  • Nuqood
    What I find hilarious is that, in your 3 subdivisions of masculinity, you made sure to include "gentlemen" in the "Men" category, which is basically stating that 'gentlemen are real men' (a very arrogant statement to make) and would (by your logic) place you in the douchebag category.

I hope you don't classify yourself as a gentleman (I'm assuming you do, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to chat the gentleman role up as much as you did).
    • Ok, what other major category, keeping in mind that not all men fall into these categories as the disclaimer says, would you consider for gentleman?
      Also, thank you for assuming things about me. It shows a real sign of maturity and intellect. I don't consider myself a gentleman, yet. I am somewhere in between nice guy and gentleman. I treat women properly, but I do have self confidence issues, and I have a couple of things I need to do to get my life in order. Gentleman, though, is the goal, because I feel that it's where I want to be later on in life.

• Nuqood

Lol, so again you consider yourself stepping into some elite group thus chatting it up. Give me a break. I guess my intellect wasn't harmed when making that assumption, since you basically confirmed it (stepping into and being is separated by experience, but it's still the same bloody thing).

• Again, where is the problem with upholding gentlemen as an ideal status? Provided they are all that I described them to be.

• menina
    Very useful :)

I would love to meet a gentlemen!
  • CincinnatiRedsfan
    "The characteristics of a child are the opposite to that of a gentleman: they are disinterested, they view others as objects (usually as "toys" in the more innocent of definitions), and they are shy and lack confidence.

Not true at all. I know many immature adult men who can fall into the "adult child" category and they actually have MORE confidence, because they're not insecure about anything. Think about it, those guys you see running around at the water park having fun (like a kid), obviously, nothing is holding them back (so I doubt they lack confidence here.)

Also, nice guys (true nice guys) don't lack confidence at all. Again, it's the inverse here: When people act like "assholes", that's a sign of insecurity and a lack of confidence.

I agree these are the main types of males you will meet but your reasons for some of them make no sense at all.
    • If a nice guy acts confidently, then he is a gentleman. If a gentleman isn't confident, he is in fact a nice guy, not a gentleman.
      The definitions I gave are specific for a reason. A "gentleman" is supposed to be the sum of the good characteristics from the three categories below them. A nice guy is necessarily lacking in confidence.
      As for your definition of child, we have divergent views. Immature men can be gentlemen, if they are nice. Being a child by my definition requires them to be all of the things I described.

• "If a nice guy acts confidently, then he is a gentleman. If a gentleman isn't confident, he is in fact a nice guy, not a gentleman."

I'll agree not every nice guy is a gentleman but every gentleman is a nice guy. It's silly to separate the two.

And if a gentleman isn't confident, this doesn't mean he's a nice guy at all. Actually, he could be "faking" the gentleman thing and actually be an insecure, cruel person.

And you apparently don't know what confidence even means. Confidence means to have a high self-worth of one's self and the "feeling of being able to succeed in something", as defined by Merriam-Webster's dictionary. You can be very nice and feel great about yourself and feeling as able to succeed in something, where as you can be very hostile and have a low self-esteem. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Immaturity and confidence have nothing to do with each other either. If that was the case, you're saying men are usually less confident than women? I mean come on.

• Drast
    Bullshit. Men are realists and do want they want. Respect is earned, not given. Not everyone deserves respect.
  • BelleGirl21
    Ideally a guy in between nice guy and gentlemen is what I'd love! :)
    • I forgot to mention this is my response but isn't a gentleman a nice guy? I know not every nice guy is a gentleman but pretty much every gentleman is a nice guy. I think this Take Owner is confused.

• A gentleman is supposed to be the sum of the good parts of the disinterested, douchebags, and nice guys. A nice guy, by my definition, is required to have a lack of confidence. If he has confidence and interest in romantic relationships, then he is a gentleman.

• tenofthepeaks
    PUA bullshit.
    • Or maybe an honest attempt to create general definitions and show differences between groups. Notice how I said that not all men fall into these groups. The pickup artists may use the Nice Guy or the Douchebag approach, but I was being sincere about my definition of the disinterested man and the gentleman. It's not about how to get into a girl's pants, it's about fitting groups of people together into recognizable groups that allows you to be able to discern between one person versus the other.

• i disagree... PUA bullshit.

• Well, if you aren't going to explain why you think so, I guess I will just assume you are saying it to troll.

• Maverickj
    Proper bullshit.
  • 1GuyOpinion
    Lol you are biased toward gentlemen aren't you.
  • Bards
    Great take dude
  • Not_Helping
    A tad simple...
    • I made it this way. That's why I wrote the disclaimer. I am not in any way trying to force all men into this umbrella, I am just making general terms to describe a large majority.