Stop Giving Yourself Labels

When i was in 7th grade. I had a crush on a girl. She was beautiful and had long black hair. Her nose was so cute and her ears were pared to perfection. Her eyes were round and big and i was absolutely in love with her. But i couldn't talk to her. I was shy, i was introverted but i didn't think i was ugly.

A few months passed and obviously i wanted to tell her so bad that i liked her. One day i finally mustered up the strength to go talk to her.

Stop Giving Yourself Labels

I went up to her and i said. "hi" and she was like "what"? And I said i just wanted to let you know that i think you're really pretty and i wanna take out. " and she said" you're ugly. Go away".

4 words. She replied with only 4 words and it changed the way i looked at myself. My self esteem hit rock bottom and i became highly insecure of my appearance. I absolutely loved this girl and she had broken me.

I wasn't able to talk to girls. I hated my face.

I dreaded the moment where in the morning i would get up and look in the mirror and my face would meet my face.

She said i was ugly. She gave me a label and i wore that label as my identity. It's how i defined myself.

It was three years until a girl came up to me and asked for my phone number. And she later told me i was really hot. And i was like really? And she said yes. And my self esteem rose. And i felt good. And we dated for like a year.

The thing is the label that i put on myself made me feel like a loser. What i learned is that people are always going to have something negative to say about you. They are going to put labels on you. You have to resist those labels to live a free life.

Stop Giving Yourself Labels

You're shy, you're introverted, you're short, you're skinny, you're dumb, you're ugly, you're annoying, you're pathetic. Who's giving you labels? Who are they? They are people that are saying things that they think you are and you take those things and you start defining yourself by those things.

You become captives of your own identity living in prisons on your own creation.

"The most powerful force in the human psych is the way we describe ourselves to ourselves ".

I am.. I am.. What are you? Gifted, beautiful, passionate, smart, sexy, sensual, powerful, strong. What are you and who do you wanna be?

The words that follow I am. Follow you.

Redefine yourself!

77

Most Helpful Girl

• How are were you that sensitive in the SEVENTH GRADE? That was just one girls opinion.
    Let people label you, you don’t have to take it so personally because nine times out of ten they are just being ignorant.
    Let stupid people be stupid while you do you and live your life.
    Descent take by the way

Most Helpful Guy

• I’m so fucking glad someone has said this because it’s what I have been thinking for a long time. A lot of men label themselves as a “short man” despite having a lot of other qualities, but since they’re insecure about their height, they’re just a “short man” and that’s it. Women who are too tall or too overweight will identify and label herself as just that because these are points of insecurity for these women. It wouldn’t matter if they had other physical and/or non physical traits unique to them, they’ll once identify and label themselves by their insecurity. This is virtually the same with anything else such as being bald, being a certain ethnicity, etc.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 6

Descent take btw👍🏾

• That's what i said. People ARE gonna label us. We just don't have to label ourselves.

Yeah. I was sensitive 😂😂.
      But i learned something from it, so not that bad lol

• I mean he was in the seventh grade about 11-12 years old. Kids at that age are sensitive, wtf?

• This is a great take. Good for you.

Maybe is because I have some maturity but I have learned to care about the opinions only people who care about me, give me. I would never allow someone who don't know me to label me anything.

And I've heard a lot of negative opinions and wishes from other prople.

• Your inner voice has the power to uplift you or destroy you. Never give anyone the power to label or define you. Anyone who doesn't see your unique spirit in a positive light doesn't need to be in your field of vision.

• I mean... wow! I am proud of you ♥️

• Good take.

• Awesome

What Guys Said 6

• The new song that came out a little bit ago that said "who knew evil had the prettiest face" has been one of the truest lyrics I've heard. "Pretty" girls think theyre all that and will even belittle the nicest person for no reason more times than not...

I think you're right in a way but labels will always be there defining people regardless. Its human nature

• I know you were young and this stuff happens but the whole labels is bad this is sorta redundant. Like, you actually want to be labelled certain things by the right people. It's easier to just realise you shouldn't judge people so whimsically. The girl was a very mean person and that just went right over ya. If you got to know them first before assuming they wouldn't hurt you, or if you got to know them enough so that if you like them you won't get hurt, you could avoid being name called. Like just dont wear your heart on your sleeve.

• People need to know the difference between labels and descriptions

Descriptions are literal and they are what you are, some you can change some you can't. For example if you are tall if, you are female , if you have long hair.
    They can usually be gotten by just looking at a person.
    Descriptions also have minimal opinion in them.

Labels are a grouping Device to make things easier for various uses. They often have heavy amounts of opinion in them.
    Such as ugly.

This loss of individuality can hurt people but it's more useful than hurtful.
    For example without labels we would not have things like caution.
    If someone's labeled as dangerous you aren't going to make friends with them are you?

• Your own self is the only person you will be with from birth to death. So be good to him/her!

• I give myself the label of "Mr. Big Dick"

• Enough with the labels , well done man