Signs He Likes You, Signs He Doesn't

Genesis5

"Does he like me?"

Are you wondering if a certain guy likes you? Here, I will help you answer it once and for all.

First, it's important for you to know that men, even with our best intentions, are not good at expressing how we feel. Leaving you hanging is not always part of the plan...sometimes guys just don't know how to tell you they like you.

Perhaps it's because our parents don't teach us how (obviously our fathers don't know because they are men and our mothers don't know what's really going on in our head because they aren't men), or maybe because everything we see in society says guys shouldn't express emotions and feelings and we buy into it. It might even be hardwired into our genetics since long ago when we saw something we wanted, we hit it with a club and took it home with us (speaking of which, please don't try this, I wont get into details, but trust me).

Society says guys shouldn't express emotions and feelings and we buy into it.

Whatever the reason is, it comes as no surprise that women are typically clueless about how we feel about them . So I am acting as an ambassador to help decode the signals men send and try to explain how a guy will act if he likes you.

I have talked to a lot of women that have questions about whether or not the guy that they are interested in is interested in them. If this guy looks at me every time I pass him, or "What does it mean when a guy. . ." , or perhaps "This guy asked me for my number, but he hasn't called". Honestly, I could go on for hours about thousands of particular does this guy like me situations. I believe, however, that whether a guy likes you or whether he doesn't can be summed up into just one sign (that has thousands of variations):

It doesn't matter what he is, or is not doing, the important thing is that he is (or isn't) doing it around you.

He is either around you or he isn't.

More than 98% of the time, if a guy likes you, then he is going to be around you. It doesn't matter if he is not talking directly to you or even blatantly ignoring you. Even if he is making fun of you, picking fights or punching you in the arm and then running away. One way or another, no matter what he is doing, he is doing it around you, and I guarantee you, this is true for men of all ages.

This doesn't mean that your interested man is going to be right next to you, or even within a few feet of you. But typically, if he is interested in you, he will find reasons to be close to you, even if that closeness means that he is only able to look at you from across the room.

Signs He Likes You, Signs He Doesn't

If you really think about it, you will see exactly what I mean. What does it mean that every day when I see him in the hall, he looks right at me? That doesn't matter, what matters is that every day he has found a way to pass you in the hall so that he CAN look at you. Why does this guy always make fun of me? Because if he grunted, you would think that he was weird, and he has no other way to tell you that he likes you. But he never says anything to me! I'll bet why that is so frustrating to you is because he is always close enough to say something, but he never does. See what I am talking about?

Ladies, I also think that it's important that you understand that most men, no matter how old we get, never grow out of this. On the flipside of this coin, no matter what a guy is doing, if he is not doing it around you, typically he has no interest in you. Even if what he is doing are exactly like the examples above, if he is not around you more times than not, he probably doesn't have any feelings for you.

Every time I start to get close, he goes somewhere else, or My class is next to his, but I never see him in the hallway, or perhaps a little more extreme I went back to his apartment the next day, and someone else was living there. Just as we have trouble telling someone we do like them, we have the same trouble telling someone we don't. So, instead, we avoid you.

Some might say that we as men are just scared of rejection, and I believe that is true to some degree. But more so, I think that we just have trouble saying what we truly feel, or that we are hoping that if we are around you long enough you will start to understand our language, tell us you like us, and then invite us out to dinner (and if you paid too that would be absolutely super).

Whatever the case may be, the best sign to look for to see if he is interested in you, is if, no matter what foolishness he is doing, he is doing it around you.

Check out more articles and discussion on the most popular question "Does He Like Me?".

Signs He Likes You, Signs He Doesn't
131
27

Most Helpful Girls

• emmabee11
    Yep we know this, nothing is more off putting to be honest, i do not enjoy guys not showing emotions and feelings, it's not the kind of thing i look for in a guy, i'm a sensitive person and if i can't express my feelings with a guy and be open and honest with them without them constantly changing the subject and avoiding anything i say that holds any kind of emotions to it then i'm sorry i'm not interested, this is not the kind of thing anybody wants even in a friend, females have started doing the same thing, they have closed themselves off and whenever i try to talk about something more intellectual that inspires and stirrs up some kind of emotion they shut me down every time, look around in fear of seeming "uncool" and a "freak" then procceed to avoid me... yeh... i don't think anybody wants this.

There is nothing wrong with being open and honest to talking about subjects that inspire or stirr some sort of ffeelings, if this is how it's going to be then i can't see compassion and kindness returning to each other again, it become a big problem a long while ago, so learn to open up, learn to talk again and trust each other, the main problem these days of not showing feeling or emotions is trust issues.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Wammu

That was an expression of anger, annoyance and disdain by the way.

• Grayout

I learned not to be open anymore. It just makes people leave when I open up

• @Grayout couldn’t agree more

• marisa
    This article is an excellent resource for a lot of people on the site! "Does he like me" and even "does she like me" are really popular questions. Now people can get a great answer, regardless of the specific situation they are in. Highly recommended read
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• RelationshipXpert
    Check if he is showing interest in things you do or talk about. For instance, if you like a kind of music that he likes as well, he might suggest artists you should listen to.

. Look for signs of nervousness like sweaty palms, nervous laughter, deep breaths, fidgeting. These are all signs of an attraction towards you and that he is nervous about making an impression on you.

Is this still revelant?
    • BZRKr

This only applies to people without crippling anxiety. 😆

• RocketWoods
    In truth, I might look at you during class, then look away, I might try to move away from you if you come towards my grope of friends and so on, usually these are signs of a long list of past rejections, so you might just be totally avoided as not to

start up emotions which would then result in, "The Question".
    Is this still revelant?
    • This makes me wonder if a boy in my class likes me because my friend was saying the the previous year he asked every girl out and they rejected him. He only stares at me but never talls to me. The other day my friend and were working on a project and he asked her something about the project and I was right there! Do you have an answer because now I'm curious if he's liked me before he knew me!

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

12925
  • LMNOP123
    Ah! Thank you! This really helps in my situation! My friend I’m interested in is, in his own words too, really shy and awkward. The reasons I didn’t think he was interested was because he never initiates contact first. He told me that if I wanted that it’s up to me. He never made any attempt to ask me out. He did bring up how people told him I liked him when I never did, so I guess it was an attempt to gauge my reaction?
    Even though I have to be the one to talk to him first he always responds soon after and I’m the only friend he hangs out with even after he said he’s anti social. It is nice to know I’m the only one who gets special treatment besides his family, haha! He’s also the type that would say no if he really didn’t want to talk to me or do anything, so it’s not like it’s forced. While this is reassuring, the only thing that bothers me is he said he didn’t want a relationship. This was in response to something else and to someone else and before he brought up me liking him, but still, I don’t know whether to dismiss it or not. It’s the only thing that stops me from telling him I do like him.
    I’m glad someone acknowledged it. Every dude says men aren’t hard to figure out, they’re straightforward. Nope! They ARE indeed hard to figure out!
  • tøp1996
    Welp since everyone else is doing this, and I thank you in advance if you have time to answer this 😊 so there’s this guy I like he’s done little things that lead me to believe he might be interested... we live in the same dorm on our college campus. The first big is that we usually end up playing our ukuleles together. Sometimes he just plays and I sing along, or we end up singing together. He typically only brings out his ukulele if he sees that I’m in the room or have my ukulele.
    Another thing, after volleyball intramural’s it was raining and he offered me a ride back to the dorm! Another thing after volleyball intramural’s I was taking off my shoes/ankle braces and in the reflection of the glass I could see him turning around and checking on me. I went to leave and he caught up with me and walked me back to the dorm. One time he was talking about how he was hungry, and I said I was going to Wendy’s he was like “he was like yeah let’s go, right now” without even asking if he could go with😂😅 and he got super excited about having a class together next semester, and said that we should sit by each other. Whenever we are out in public and if he sees me, he always approaches me and says h

So is this boy interested or do you think he likes me?
  • ladymcbeth
    My problem is my interest lives in a different town and we both work and all so we don't see each other but once a month... He is around when I am and all but he makes no effort to come to my town so I can see both from the article... Of course I think he's shy too... So if I can see things from both sides... What does that mean?
  • Larisa
    Your article really helped me, Because there is a guy that has been staring at me since the start of the school year and he never says anything to me and whenever he has the chance he usually gets close to me. At homecoming I was waiting to get in with my friend and out of no where he stands right by me and starts looking at me without saying a word. So I am glad there is some insight to this. Thank You : ]
  • secretshuman
    Okay, so I have a question (ps. I really think this is a good article)

What if we don't see each other often and don't go to the same school? I mean, we've hung out a few times and we were sort of always around each other then, but we haven't hung out much since then. I thought it was going well, but he's shy, and so am I. Is it completely platonic? I can't tell. I'd really appreciate if you'd respond to this! Thanks.
  • annabarrera
    I have this guy friend who wants to be with me like 24 hours. lol. JK. I mean he is always around me, breakfast, lunch, dinner, always wants to be with me, going to cinema, doing some school paper with me, until i did feel some feeling growing for him, but nope turns out he just feel comfortable with me as a friend. i got friendzoned, Kaboom !
  • evette
    This guy called me during the middle of the night I answertes the phone thinking some one had died or something. It was a co-worker of mine, he wanted to go over some paper work with me when he realized that I heoke me up he stated he would talk to me on Monday. Does mhe like me?
  • Lilibuth12
    My ex boyfriend said he wanted to stay single to me today, there have been a few issues with us recently. However he also the same day when he heard I was going out was around me, is meeting me and some mates tomorrow and going to the movies with us a few days later... he invited himself to all but the last one, where my mate invited him. I am f***ing lost. Why is he doing this? I mean seriously?... I would think he liked my mate, however he hasent taken her up on any offers to see her alone...X
  • ladysooodivine
    This article is amazing - simple and straight to the point. Thank you for the advice! This guy I casually know always went to the place I work, says HI to me and nothing more. He then asked me out to dinner by the end of the week ;).. "now I get it!" lol
  • MuekOner
    Im a guy and this girl is allways around me and I fell for her and I read this article and I notice I'm like that I always want to be around her and I've been doing this and she hasn't notice and I give her common sense signs to leave our friends to go alone but she understand she took it to the next level were she will bring more guys to get me jelouse what type of methods can I use to actually get in a relatinship together??

Anyone??

• mimam112

^^^ dude im a girl and im telling you, this girl DEFINITELY noticed she just isn't showing it. and if she brings more guy friends then that mean she wants to see if you're jealous. and if you ask me then this chick already knows you like her and is trying to confirm it. but if you want ways then talk to her, ask her for her number, interact with her, be playful, smile, laugh, talk to people, make eye contact with her, and be nice.

• dazedandconfused22
    And you thought women were complicated. What if he is always around you but avoids eye contact when you are near, or like flirts with other women near you. There's a million questions running through my head.
    • Nades

Wtf are you smoking? Women are complicated. A man goes for what he wants. A women’s mind is constantly changing. Girls stare at me for a prolong amount of time all the time and they don’t smile or look away. I approach one and she’s not interested... wtf. If you don’t like someone at least don’t stare at them and make it painfully obvious. The last thing we want is for a h*e to give us false hope. We men aren’t made to read dumb signals. If you really liked a guy then pick ur balls up and approach him.

• felicia
    So if a friend insists he likes you a lot, but yet avoids you, claiming fears that 'our friendship could be damaged' etc, does this also mean that that he's just lying and isn't brave enough to say he doesn't like you?
  • Springfairy
    I work with the guy I think likes me.However, most of the time there's not an opportunity to be in range of me or him, because we work in a busy store, and we bag on whatever stations need bagging.I don't have his number nor does he have mine however Sunday during break.He brought up dinner in a round about way, I didn't respond because I didn't know how to lol, wasn't sure if he was trying to see if I liked him or he truly was interested or both.
  • Elfahkery
    i have a guy friend how is sending me defferent sings I don't know how he feels about me some times I feel like he likes me sometimes I feel like he hates me and sometimes I feel like he thinks of me a really good friend teases me makes fun of me calls me by a nickname but not a nice one he brags in front of me and tells me how awesome he is and how he is a player that girls go crazy four him but he tells me that he dose not cheat on them he flirts with other girls in front of me and tells me
  • moosemonster
    but what if he atm lives another place, so that it's not possible for him to be around all the tim, only when he's home for holidays and stuff (this is just for a few more months), how can you tell if he likes you then? he spends time with me when he is here.
  • luvme56
    Is this take ok... people say it misleads you and people think you are jerks

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a8164-3-ways-to-get-a-girl-s-attention
  • victoriaxoxo
    I have no problem in picking up on whether a guy likes me. Usually a matter of minutes before I pick up on his stare and know what it means. But I genuinely struggle figuring out whether someone loves me once we are dating. It is a massive problem.
  • AllNaturalMAN
    Only two signs a guy gives a girl one in an erection and the other is he says he likes you.. Guys don't do any other signs than that. Girls have 1000's of ways to say they are interested in a guy and about 0.0001% of the guys pick up on them.
    • Everyone has thousands of ways, Doesn’t mean they are aware of it.

• sweetnsassy23
    So if a guy is always passing me by at work or running into me or dropping stuff off to me then does it mean he likes me?And when I'm around he makes stupid dorky jokes and talks loud enough to hear him...its because he likes me?
  • azbykker
    I've seen some pretty wacky things women think are signs that a guy likes them. They tend to over-analyze us. This guy is 100 percent correct regardless of if the guy is an aggressive smooth talker or a quiet/shy type.
  • homer
    Very well put Genesis5. Something else I have done in the past in addition to all those you said above is that I would do things around her friends or people who I know she would hear from, even when I wasn't around her.
  • sadkoala
    Since you are good at knowing this maybe you can help me with my question;)

https://www.girlsaskguys.com/Dating-Questions/285775-why-are-his-behaviors-so-changed.html
  • SoCk3t_PoCk3tZ
    THIS IS GOOD.

OMG

The question "Does he like me?" "Does he like me or not?" "Are we more than friends?"

from persons on this site is just getting boring..! People need to read this article.
  • deanat78
    How right you are!! A lot of girls asked me how to tell if a guy likes them, this really sums it all up - if he's around you, he likes you. Nice and simple. Very well written!
    • Pennypolish

Hmmm.. I have a close guy friend. But I'm married and he's like 8 years younger. lol But he ask to have lunch all the time and meet up (we work near another)... is this an exception or is he into me?

• evette
    Everything you said in your article is very true very easy to understand I think women make some things in understanding the flirtation thing more difficult to understand than it actually is.
  • QuiteACoolUsername
    The more the guy invests on you - the higher he values you. Whether its in the form of time, effort, money, attention, emotion, etc.

Sounds like business, huh? Lol. But it's the ultimate 'secret' gauge any women should know.
  • Clairegendron27
    I like this guy in my class and one of my friends told him through text and then he said to her who are you and pretended he didn't know her or me and then whemever im in class he either asks who i am or my friends will ask do you know who she is and he says no and then they say my name. Also today i got one of my friends to ask if he likes me but like not ask to make it obvious and he didn't really answer all he did was shrug and continue to look at his phone. :/ please help.
  • jonias
    There is a guy in my class.. actually a topper.. I onced text him on fb asking about studies... he respond to me and asked me to give pics of me.. nd said to trust him but I ignored... he blocked me on facebook... nd whenever I passed around him in university he keeps on staring at me? Wht u thing is the problem with him
  • Morgan35
    So I text him, he texts me back, but nothing lengthy. But he does answer. When I see him, he talks to me, looks me in the eyes. Sometimes doesn't look at me, quiet, mostly ignores me, but doesn't move away. I think he has feelings for me, but confusing actions, hot then cold. He knows I like him. But how he feels is a mystery, am I a friend, or more, or nothing?
  • Caligirl1212
    He never texts me first, so I always text him first and I can't tell if he's intrested. I tried waiting a day bit he didn't text me that day. And he is the one who told me to text him, and he told one of my friends before we started texting he wasn't good at talking to girls. But when we were suppose to hangout with like a group he bailed. I try to ignore him but I just lose it every Time I see him, I just see his face and bam I'm losing it.
  • Skdpaw
    I used to date this boy a year and a half ago when we were in the 10th and 11th grade. We are now in the 12th and still attend the same school. Our 10th grade year we were always around each other and always over each other's house and went out on dates and spent almost everyday after school together. Then are 11th grade year we started having problems bc of my accusing then we ended up breaking up.
  • anon5
    That was a great article. so true. I'm having sudden realizations about the past already. thanks for that bit of insight
  • santaferenita
    Actually I have the same question of sparklenshine... what happens when you are friends? I mean, it is ussual to hang around with him, but he is behaving different to my other male friends... but then he's the closest to me... hum... what do you think of the friend-love situation?
  • heav8i8
    i took this guy to a basketball game, he seemed to like me, text me and even stayed over the night of the game (no sex though) then after about a few weeks of me always striking convo he just stopped responding. . confused cause he said he is cool with chilling and being friends but never asks me out and now will not respond to text. hmmm confused!
  • kalei4545
    this guy who likes me is really weird,like one day at lunch me and my bff were eating lunch across from the guy who likes me and they were like arguing(in a good way not a bad way)and sam (or patrick)sed LUCAS LIKE YOU!,and then me and my bff looked at each other and sed EWW and like ever since he's been all like you know.
  • halo93
    i meet this guy about 3 times a week , I always catch him looking at me, and he's always tryig to see me without making me notice it(like he turn his head over me in the bus ,he always does it!).he's shy because we talked many times and he rarely look at me in the eyes.i'm loosing my mind! what's behind his looks? once he kept looking and looking till I got so shy and nervous ah! and he smiles when we meet... any tips guys pllllz!
  • jessthepanda
    I believe this is true, but for a girl like me who has been straight up told by the one she like that he likes her, I am blind to the signs. How am I supposed to know if he likes me if I can't even begin to see the signs? Can fear of getting hurt get in the way of seeing said signs?
  • jimmyjjohn
    Hi! Been blushing excessively for the last 2 years even when I am not embarrassed or when i am alone too. It started due to a very embarrassing encounter when I was with my friends. Funny thing is I don't How to Stop Blushing around strangers. It happens when I am with people I know. But after reading through your tips I think I know the problem. I will definitely try out your tips. Thanks!
  • LoveandWisdom
    Need to be detailed about "But he never says anything to me!" and how should a girl approach this situation.

• LonelyFiona
    Great article, thank you so much. Anyway, there is a new site on subject "How to tell if a guy likes you", so maybe it could be interesting for you

Good luck and thank you :)

• Katebfun
    My theory is simple. If you have yo ask if anybody likes you they probably dont, or not enough.. everyone knows when someone likes us. period.
    • No not really. Because when i reallyyy like a guy i just tend to move far away from him and insure to never be around him because i get so nervously shy ;/ and NO ONE could even guess i liked that guy. (^J^)

• Shit... If that were true, there would be a lot more people in a relationship, compared to those asking "Does this person like me?"

• @ImagineSketchy I guess so! 。◕`ヮ´◕。

• Logorithim
    Excellent point that it boils down to how much time he spends around her. I've made this clear numerous times.
  • rosiebaker04
    so there's this boy and he was going out with my best friend and one of my friends told him about me having a crush on him because i felt sick that i couldnt tell him how i felt and he dumped her for me and him and my best friend have veen broken up for like 5 days and he still hasn't asked me out so does that mean he likes me? And when he speaks to me he speaks right close to my face and sometimes I think he leans in
  • deadlineisover
    I meet this guy about once a week just to hang out and he's always checking me out and doing me favours and were quite flirty but I know what type of guy he is although he's a sweet guy(to me anyway) he's always got different girls whos he's NEVER serious with and I don't want to ruin the relationship that we have and there's also another guy involved who I reallly like but I'm not as physically attracted to him as I am to the first one and he just asked me out, I don't know what to do
  • RaMona143
    wll, I am so frustrated with this guy, I don't even know why! we actually take 4th period together which is our English, he can't stop teasing me and sometimes he comes and sits in front of me and stare right in front of my face. he has a friend who is also my friend, that is where I knew him more. but I never knew if he likes me or not. I thought 'wow' did I just impress him with my personalities. now I feel so awkward being around him. am I the one making him like me?
  • myluv
    Okay, he was behind me. I was talking to one of my friends but the friend I was leaving with was trying to get my attention. That friend ask this guy for help to get my attention. So, he put his hand onmy shoulder and said my name. Feeling his hand from behind felt intimate to me but what do you think?
  • rhoda
    This article actually does help. my crush lives 2 hours away (we just met online) and had a GREAT date but I did not hear back for 4 days post-date. so I called him and left a message. he called me RIGHT BACK and is finding some excuse to come to my race this weekend - which is right near his home. he also said I could borrow his $$ gear (i said no) but I said i'd take him up on getting me a discount on a new bike this august. but so far, he does not call me. would rather I call him. sorta weird
  • nobodygirl
    Wow! I love this. It's easy for me to tell when guy friends like me, but now I can tell with non-friends.
  • lainie
    Thanks... It's so hard to analyze signals.. You're right, he either is or he isn't... What you've said made a lot of sense..
  • xKay17_
    I have a guy who i met a few years ago an he instantly was interested in me. I wasn't at first but after we tried dating. it didn't work out.. We have been friends on and off for the past 3 years , i was in love with him for about a year, then when i told him my feelings he was cold about it and we didn't talk for about 8 months, i finally got over him after a while. Now were friends again and im starting to like him again, but he's still mean at some points.. Please help:(