Guys: my boyfriend won't let me hang out with his friends at uni (girls and guys) is this normal?

My boyfriend and I are in our early 20's, live together, go to the same uni, and study the same degree, im just ahead by a few years. He has a friend group at uni, mix of guys and girls our age, I've met them all a couple times. One of the girls is obsessed with him, and has a major issue with me.

My boyfriend complains about his friend group, how immature they are/dont care about the degree (never study, dont have the same passion for the degree as he does), and how annoying/rude some of them are. He never hangs out with them outside of uni. I genuinely have never heard him say a single nice thing about any of them.

He reads out a message from his uni group chat - one of the guys messaged saying they should all go out for drinks, my boyfriend responded saying - how he can't wait for a big "blow out". He showed me how that ONE girl, immediately responded to his message, and no one elses. We laughed about it. I then made a passing comment, "oo im sure she'd love me to come for drinks with you guys". He says "oh, I mean If the boys are bringing their girlfriends, I guess you could come", and I said "wait, ur saying I can't come? not that I want to, but if I do im not 'aloud'?" he says "well its weird babe, you aren't apart of my group why would I randomly plus one you", then I said "it seems a little odd, if these were just the boys going out, sure, but dont you think its strange to go out drinking with a bunch of single guys and girls who I have met multiple times, all go to the same uni, same degree, but I can't come because id be intruding?" this turned into a massive fight. In summary he said he didn't want me going out with them, because im not apart of the friend group, and he would be happy to "plus one" me, if the others were bringing their partners - but they are all single. I told him how this seems like high school politics, where everyone has a little "group", when in reality we are all adults, in the same profession.
Updates
+1 y
The next morning we spoke about it again, because I told him this really upset me. I explained to him:
That im upset, because on one hand all he ever does is complain about these people, doesn't really hang out with them outside of uni etc, but suddenly when it comes to going out clubbing with them (over half of them are single girls who are all over him, we joke about it all the time), I can't come, because Id be intruding on this supposed special group that I have to have an INVITE to.
Updates
+1 y
His perspective is:
HIS friend group, I quote "you weren't invited, they others aren't bringing their partners, why would I plus one my girlfriend to something where she's gonna hang around people and act like she even wanted there when she isn't even apart of the group", he also compared it to: "its like at work, they have functions and events specifically inclusive for partners", saying that this is some special event that doesn't include partners...
Post Opinion