What is he trying to say to me I am so confused?

I've been chatting with this guy for a few months, and in my opinion, neither of us are ready to commit to a relationship at the moment. We're both dealing with personal challenges, and our different upbringings have shaped our morals and lifestyles. I feel like both of us don't see eye to eye sometimes.

A few weeks ago, I made a big mistake by kissing him and then immediately telling him I didn't see a future for us. Just recently, he mentioned he's not looking to be in a relationship for the next year.

This is exactly word for word what he said. " he said that if you want to be with me and want to change we can help each other as motivation till then you can class me as yours. So basically to conclude it we are in a relationship but without stressing each other only help each other as motivation to change."

I don't get what he's trying to say. How can you be together but also say that you don't wanna be in a relationship for a year until you have your issues sorted.

I said to him that sometimes I worry that what if we are not meant to be. His response was leave it to God to figure that out.
Updates
1 mo
I met him when he was going through the toughest time of his life. I feel like he is attached to me in a way but in a unhealthy way
Post Opinion