4 Ways to Deal With Anxiety

QuestionMan

Dealing with Anxiety

Many of us at one point or another have dealt with anxiety.

Anxiety is defined as a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome

It isn't easy. You feel like you have absolutely no control, like the world is collapsing all around you.

4 Ways to Deal With Anxiety

Luckily there's hope.

Personally I'm not a fan of all those anti-depressants since I'm certain that they do more harm then good. They never really address the root cause and simply try to suppress the problem instead of resolving it leading to addiction.

I'm more of a fan of natural remedies.

Exercise

The biggest recommendation I've always heard when dealing with anxiety is to exercise. It's a good way to clear your mind and focus all your energy on the activity.

If you're into yoga or are interested in trying it out you'll notice that it is great at helping soothe the edginess and overly-aroused feelings that come from anxiety.

4 Ways to Deal With Anxiety

Music

This is something that always helps me. Different people like different music but I suggest listening to something peaceful like the sound of the ocean.

There are many playlists on YouTube, simply type in "anxiety relief".

Classical music is also very good for concentration and stress relief.

Here is my favourite piece by Bach which has helped me through tough times.

If music isn't your thing then perhaps finding a quiet space where you can be alone is best.

Prayer/Meditation

From my conversations with religious people, they've told me that prayer gives them comfort and helps them de-stress. Others have suggested meditation as an option for the non-religious.

4 Ways to Deal With Anxiety

I've prayed before, for me it was a means to release negative energy. It had mixed results and isn't something that I would recommend for everyone.

Meditation is also not for everyone since it takes time to learn how to properly do it and not everyone is capable of putting them self in that state of mind when they have an anxiety attack.

If you have anxiety attacks often, I would recommend taking some meditation classes because they are quite helpful in that regard.

4 Ways to Deal With Anxiety

Talking to Someone

This is in my opinion one of the best ways to deal with anxiety. Letting someone else know what your problems are so that they can help you.

Sometimes all it takes is to just have others hear what your problems are because you feel like you are bottled up inside.

Depending on who you trust you can refer to a friend, family member, therapist or someone at your place of worship (if you are religious).

#BATTLEROYAL

4 Ways to Deal With Anxiety
4
2

Most Helpful Girl

• fauchelevent
    I think that this is a pretty good take :) I was diagnosed with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) years ago and got a lot of this stuff recommended to me. I know that for me, talking to someone does help but the others were ehh, not so much and a lot of it doesn't really help at the time of the really severe anxiety or at the time of a panic attack so I figured I'd add the method I was told to this in case anyone needs it, if that's okay?

The awful thing about anxiety for me is that you almost feel lost and really confused and everything is just too much, too overpowering and it sucks. To calm down, I need to pinpoint everything that's happening and go through it step by step until everything starts to make sense again and a good way to do that is by going through your senses. Take a second to breathe and then make yourself look around - name 5 things that you can see around you, 4 things that you can feel, 3 things that you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. It helps bring everything into focus and sharpen your concentration so your thoughts stop whirling. It's just a way that I find helps to calm down at that time when things like prayer or exercise or music isn't quite enough or isn't easily done in that moment.

But yeah, definitely a good take, I enjoyed reading it so well done! <3
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thanks :)
      I'm glad you shared your technique I'm sure it will be helpful for someone.

Most Helpful Guy

• ADFSDF1996
    Good advice, since I only listen to classical music, I've noticed that it temporarily reduces the worrying thoughts. I was diagnosed with OCD (a anxiety disorder), so a good recommendation is drinking certain teas like chamomile, it eases the anxiety.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

31
  • FashionQueen86
    I've lived with anxiety since the end of 2012, and the sad part about it was that it was over a misunderstand, where had I just educated myself, none of this would have happened.

However, the anxiety had already taken a toll on my mental health before I did manager to resolve that misunderstanding. It just went on for years.

I was told by a physcian to try to drink an icy cold water once it happens, or breathing techniques. The two things they really helped me was just educating myself on what anxiety is and how it affects my body, or what illusions I'm suffering from. The other thing that helped me was praying. That was the MOST helpful. I got out verses that targeted anxiety and depression. I announced them out loud becuase there was a verse that spoke about how when you see the Word it does not go null and void, something like that. Well it worked.

However, I stopped praying, and some of the anxiety is back, but not as bad as before. What I'm also looking into is aroma therapy with essential oils that are known to relax and calm the mind. I read that Japanese business offices use Lemon oils becuase it puts the environment in a good mood. So, I'm really excited about investing in this in the near future.
  • LoveJones1
    This is a wonderful topic. I steuggle with anxiety as well. Always worrying if something will go good or bad. I try to relieve my anxiety tbrough prayer it helps a lot but reading this topic I want to try to add yoga or some form of exercise to it.. nice topic once again..
  • ginny_weasley
    This is a good take and great topic. As someone with anxiety I do meditation and am majoring in healthcare. I think helping others will help me.
  • Anonymous
    Not bad! Those are the bare basics though, you should really go into more detail.