11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

1. Acceptance

You need to accept yourself for who you are. If you are an anxious person you should know that it is okay to be this way and that you are not alone.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

2. Speak up

Is somebody constantly hurting you or treating you in a way that you aren't fond of? If you feel this way, chances are that holding things in won't make you feel better. It can hurt you instead.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

3. Question your thoughts

Sometimes your mind "plays" with you, when this happens ask your self "is this really true or does it just seem this way?" "Is this likely to happen?" or "is this worry realistic?". a lot of times we feel afraid to do things but once we do them we then realize that it wasn't as scary as we thought it would be.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

4. Be Positive With Yourself

Always remind yourself that you have value and that you are amazing just the way you are. Don't think things such as "the world would be better with out me" or "I'm so hideous no one will ever like me" because you are just hurting yourself and those things are certainly not true.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

5. Keep your mind occupied

Join groups/ clubs that interest you or focus on hobbies that you are passionate about.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

6. Exercise

Exercise is said to be as effective as medicine for anxiety.Therefore, not only is exercise excellent for your physical health but also for your emotional health.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

7. Intervene with yourself

Walk away from those things that increase your anxiety like for example if you obsess over things and constantly check back and forth, you have to be strong and refrain (walk away) from doing this.

8. Try Aroma-Therapy

Lavender,eucalyptus jasmine, sweet basil, bergamot, chamomile, and rose scents/oils are great examples.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

9. Avoid These Things

Avoid smoking, alcohol, and even caffeine (this increases your heart rate drastically and this can contribute to higher anxiety levels.)

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

10. Spending Time With Your Pet

In a survey of pet owners 74% of pet owners reported mental health improvements. Pets can help to alleviate stress, anxiety, depression, and they help you to not feel so alone anymore.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

11. "Make Friends With Your Fears"

When it comes to anxiety, there is a saying that fear is your friend. You have to try to understand/ recognize where your fear is coming from and when you do you have to face it because anxiety can not be ignored.

11 Ways To Deal With Anxiety

1029

Most Helpful Guys

• This is very thoughtful , well thought out. I find that I must not entertain negative thoughts. And if I am not occupying my mind, this can become a challenge.

This was a very good post.!

• Thank you 😊

• Thank u and I’m not suffering I’m okay really I have everything I need I just have a struggle that I need to face just like everyone else has a struggle

• Struggle is a much better term. You are a bright young woman..

• You're very sweet and kind in your responses.

You're also good at pinpointing coping mechanisms for anxiety.

I think you take is good for those on the less severe spectrum of anxiety. But for those who are either suffering from more severe anxiety, or for anxiety that has been left untreated longer, there needs to be greater intervention.
    Such as seeking both a counselor and medication.

Medication should, in most cases, be a temporary solution to allow the person to learn recognition and coping mechanisms before being removed from the drug.
    It should only be pursued if it is recommended by a doctor after an accurate (which means full honesty) analysis.

It's unfortunate you didn't include counseling and medication in your myTake, but I understand that you might not have felt like you had the expertise to recommend them.

In most cases, I don't recommend self-diagnosis and self-therapy, since it can be difficult to judge the severity of your own anxiety, and even more difficult to build up safe and effective coping mechanisms.
    The same goes for all mental disorders.

But your outreach and sharing what's worked for you may get people started on self-care. Especially for those who do not have anxiety that significantly affects their every day life.

• I mixed the research between low anxiety and high anxiety for this article. I have anxiety myself and it’s pretty bad so I take medicine for it I used this research to try to help people like me.

Most Helpful Girls

• As someone with Panic Disorder who recently managed to conquer their anxiety, this take has really great tips in it especially #9! Also add sugar to that list because lots of sugar makes anxiety worse, also. #3 and #11 are also super important and useful.

• Good take! I think the third one, questioning your thoughts, is really important. I tend to be a very logical person except when anxiety starts taking control, so if I can take a minute to think "why I am I so anxious about this?" and analyze it logically, that can help to take the anxiety down a notch

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• 1. I've accepted that I am somebody who is prone to (irrational) worries, that's part of the reason I hate myself

2. I am the person hurting myself

3. I constantly question my thoughts, it doesn't help. It just means my brain is working twice as hard, fighting on all sides of the battle so to speak.

4. If I do, I feel that I am lying to myself (even though the negativity and worries are usually the lies)

5. I'm not passionate about anything

6. I have felt better physically since I started losing weight and I hope to continue doing so

7. Life increases my anxiety

8. Doesn't do anything for me

9. I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol or caffeine, I don't miss them at all and I would recommend others with mental health issues to do the same

10. Unfortunately the greyhound that I used to have seemed to make me more anxious. It wasn't his fault but it didn't help with my mental health.

11. I don't ignore my anxiety. When I do things I realise that my anxiety was right all along, in my mind at least

Interesting take though and I hope these tips work for other people, I'm sure they will

• You probably have co morbidity. You're also probably aware of that.

You likely need intervention by a clinical expert to take control of the anxiety.
      Self therapy is not your solution.

• And in some cases it could be your environment. Your behaviors. The situations you put yourself in or repetitive thoughts that invade your mind.

Therapists are working with you to pinpoint those. Some are good at it, others are newer and still learning. Some are just familiar with different kinds of clients from different backgrounds.

Keep trying. No one is hopeless and everyone can make it out of their own stone.

• @SomeOtherGuy I've been feeling slightly better recently. I'm thinking if that continues, maybe I will be in a better place mentally for therapy to work for me. I spent a year getting nowhere with a counsellor and months with a therapist trying to, it seemed, argue me better.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll feel much better eventually

• Exercise and CBD helped me. ✌😁 CBD effects the GABA levels in the brain and alleviates anxiety disorders. Where as THC has the opposite effects. 😱

• CBD oil counts as a medication, which is an external coping mechanism. It should only be used short-term, in more severe cases, until the person can learn identification and coping mechanisms to combat the anxiety.

It should never be used as a replacement for self-care or therapy.
      It's easy for people to become reliant on these things as long-term solutions when they are no substitute for real, lasting coping mechanisms.

Please, talk to your doctor before smokin da gonj.

• @SomeOtherGuy that’s interesting

• @SomeOtherGuy

I decided upon it after a lot of research. My degree is actually psychology, and I have done plenty of study in the area of anxiety disorders. I technically am a germaphobe. The therapy for which is to get dirty willingly. That shit is never fucking happening.🤗

From the researcher I did, I found CBD oil effected the GABA receptors in the brain which helps alleviate anxiety, yet it also has no known side effects itself. Contrasted with the benzodiazepines that would otherwise be prescribed.

CBD oil became my long term treatment so that I didn't have the compulsion to wash my hands all the time. Thus far, it has been helping. I actually use a vaporizer and under the tongue spray. Smoking weed puts tar on your lungs, and I need to breathe, so that's not happening either.

• People with anxiety/depression are really sensitive.
    Sensitive, you know what that means? That means they care for others, they feel other people's feelings, they understand other people's needs. They are good people.
    I want to be friends with good people, so, I want to be friends with them.
    By the way, I really really like the smell of jasmine.

• Very well done - For someone who says they are quiet and shy, you have a lot of wise things to say - You should be very proud of yourself

• Anxiety is also a symptom of nutritional deficiency. The lack of Vitamins such as B6, B12, C and D, minerals such as calcium, chromium, iron and selenium, and Omega 3 can lead to feelings of anxiety

• Also a good doctor. You may have to check a few. Most of them don't care about you, and only look into their PCs before giving you a standard prescription. But if you find a good one, you may be literally cured with a modern and a well fitted to your case, medical drug.

• Those are all good suggestions for dealing with the "symptoms" that are caused by anxiety. BUT... your entire premise is based on accepting that you are "an anxious person" and NOTHING can be done about that. Hmm, I don't necessarily accept that premise. Discovering "why" or figuring out "why" could be more meaningful and even help rid you of that anxiety.

• Sounds good. What's anxiety exactly though, like as a thing? I thought it was just feeling anxious about something?

• Anxiety is when you feel very worried or tense most people have anxiety sometimes but there are people who have it more severe and have to face it everyday. It can be so bad that people may need medicine for it.

• @SomeOtherGuy Okay that makes sense I guess, thanks.

• Amazing take, cool sweet confused girl 😊

There is nothing more to add and i liked part 4 😉

• I think the quickest way is just to "jump in the water". My anxiety got immeasurably better after I took a job as a waiter in a suspicious place. Every day I talked and made friends with criminals and killers, where you have an objective reason to be afraid, not just your anxiety. I "swam" in those waters for a couple of months, and afterwards my anxiety was almost completely gone

• Interesting. Very interesting.

By expanding your life experiences, you learned what was irrational and rational anxiety, which helped as a coping mechanism.

I find your personal method to be an interesting, albeit unconventional and difficult to recommend, form of therapy.

But expanding your life experiences is probably a great form of internal coping.

• @SomeOtherGuy yeah, its not for everyone, but for those who can pull it off, its definitely the quickest way. I did therapy for years, but it achieved less than just a few months of this.

• Show more from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 8