How To Go To Sleep

There have been countless questions asking, how to go to sleep and why is it so difficult to go to sleep. There are a lot of distractions, like phones and cars and other people in the house.

Resting is crucial. Going without it, otherwise known as sleep deprivation, means you can suffer weight gain, impaired memory, mood swings, more susceptibility to illness and injury, and more.

After a workout, muscle repair happens largely during sleep, and without sleep, muscles can't repair as effectively.

1. Remove the distractions if possible, or decrease ones that you can't control.

- Store your phone somewhere else

- Ask people to keep music and talking down

- Close the blinds

- Block out noise

How To Go To Sleep

2. Allow yourself time to think over the day and get those lingering thoughts out of your head

- Set a limit of about 4-10 minutes and when that time is up, you've had enough.

- This is very important: Keep your eyes open, laying in your bed on your back and don't move.

3. Imagine yourself locking away all your thoughts in a box that you can't open until the next morning

- Tell yourself everything you are thinking of now are just being saved for later

- Picture yourself locking the box away somewhere you can't access it

- Don't open that box. The thoughts can't escape, but they'll be safe there until morning.

Include a caption for your image…
Include a caption for your image…

4. Take deep breaths

- Breathe slowly

- Continue to keep your eyes open

5. Count down from 1000, with your eyes still open.

Don't move. You can only have the numbers in your head, nothing else, because they are locked away in the box.

- Start by whispering 1000, 999, 998, down to around 990, and then continue counting in your head.

- Don't trail off the counting.

- Count slowly.

- The numbers are the only thing in the world. Nothing else exists.

- Try to stay awake as long as you can. Even make a game out of it. See how far you can count.

6. When you feel yourself drifting off, just let go and continue counting in your dreams.

Soon you'll really be dreaming.

How To Go To Sleep

514

Most Helpful Guys

• Well I usually become super excited about new ideas right before bedtime, and also a desire to search and categorize knowledge and connect them all together
    Same thing happens in the shower, so it takes quite long for me to shower or to fall asleep

• @Greenfield25
    Having sex is a great inducer of sleep... I think you forgot to mention that

• Yeah it is. But that isn't required. Nothing is technically required except for 6.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm I'd try it if my technique didn't work great already.
    Basically what I do is relax every single muscle, just be a ragdoll. Then think of nothing, or at least as little as possible, you'll fall asleep in no time.

Little warning though, it can sometimes result in a hypnic jerk which is that feeling of falling and you suddenly jump awake. Don't worry it's just your brain thinking your body is dying because your vitals are slowing down faster than expected so it jolts your body awake to make sure its ok :P

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 12

• Eat cat food. You'll feel so sick that you'll have no choice but to lie down.

Most people will think my response is insane, but one or two might not

• Excellent advice. thanks! I've found reading instead of being online for 30 minutes before bed to also be helpful.

• I live fine with 1-3 hours sleep and all nighters so resting is not that crucial for me, but i digress i found this take intresting.

• jump down a 2 story building and land on your neck, tends to get you into eternal sleep pretty easily.

• In summary: imagine you are dead, and nothing else, no matter what, should be done right now.

• ask someone to knock you out with a punch

• Swallow a magnesium pill 2 hours before bedtime.

• forcing it doesn't help

• Strangely, I sleep the best when I'm beside my ex.

• Drink water. It helps you calm down.

• right your review

• This take should be narrated by Samuel L. Jackson.

What Girls Said 4

• Some of these are easier said then done. It's worse when I have jet lag.

• Good mytake. I should follow 1 and 6

• Woww i like this mytake.

• Interesting