Trolling is Evil: It's Proven to be Linked With Strong Mental Illnesses

Trolling is proven to be linked to strong mental disorders

A study was published by Doctor Erin E. Buckels confirmed what we already knew, trolls are horrible, sick, vile people.

#wowgirl10qRocks#
#wowgirl10qRocks#

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

Abstract
"In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct underlying the measures. Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality: trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the relationship was specific to trolling behavior. Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism".

Trolls = Haters=Sick

They conducted two online studies with over 1,200 people, giving personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their Internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the "Dark Tetrad" of personality traits: Narcissism, Machiavellianism, Psychopathy, and Sadism.

They found that Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity.🙂

"The associations between sadism and GAIT (Global Assessment of Internet Trolling) scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists." rolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others". (E.Buckelsa)

So, now you know trolls are very sick people and there is even evidence to prove it, next time you encounter a troll online, remember: These trolls are some truly difficult sick sadistic people ( it's not you it's them ).

It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them if your religious maybe pray for them. They clearly need therapy at the very, very least.

Source

Buckels, Erin E., Paul D. Trapnell, and Delroy L. Paulhus. "Trolls just want to have fun." Personality and Individual Differences67 (2014): 97-102.

2587

Most Helpful Guys

• Of course that's proven. Everyone knows trolls are just "people" that really lack attention so they try their best to "trigger" someone so they would pay attention to them. It's sad. Really sad.

Most Helpful Girls

• I agree with this. That's the nature of the Internet unfortunately
    Some people hide behind their anonymity and get their kicks out of being mean to others. I think people who do this have no life and shouldn't be taken seriously..

Normal people are outside laughing with their friends.. How sad can you be to laugh at the negative reaction that a controversial comment cause on people? So yea basically DON'T feed the trolls

• Anybody can be asshole, doesn't exactly mean you are mentally ill or that rude behavior is mental illness. It's just how humans are sometimes unfortunately.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 85

• Define trolling.

You also yet to show that it is evil. Your argument is nonsequitur. Just because trolls show a correlation with sadistic personality, doesn't mean it automatically means the troll is evil. Let's break it down.

Firstly, you have yet to establish that sadism is evil. Firstly, we need to ask what even is evil? Evil is the things we ought not do, and good are the things we ought to do. There's a key thing with both of these. They have to be conscious choices one could make and these choices have to affect others. While sadism affects other, it fails to meet the first requirement. Sadism is not evil because one cannot choose to be sadistic.

Secondly, you fail to show how trolling is evil. Just because sadistic people like to troll, is the trolling itself evil? While it follows the two requirement, first being that it is a conscious choice and secondly that it affects others, that list of requirements could only tell us that we can morally debate about this. But the thing is what we ought to do and what we ought not do are both very subjective questions.

So in conclusion, you got your facts right, but your interpretation of what that fact is saying is wrong.

• Yes I agree so quit doing it. Whining over snark comments and misinterpreting dry humor might also be be an equivalent.

• All fair, and correct. However - the term - and/or label - ''troll'' (like numerous others as well) often is mis-used or mis-interpreted. Example: As a (philosophic) cynic, my contributions sometimes are perceived ''trolly'', where actually they aim to inject thoughts into voids.

• You mean "dark triad" traits, not dark tetrad.

Interestingly, many studies show that women are more attracted to men who have dark triad personalities: www.sciencedirect.com/.../S0191886913012245

• When all you have to say is "Trump" and some people will scream and cry and write big paragraphs about how racist and homophobic you are, how could one not enjoy doing that all day every day?

I struggle to even understand how these people exist in the first place that mere words online can ruin their day. Like how did they not get offended on the way to pouring a bowl of cereal and then get so into a crying fit they starved? Lmao.

• However the act of trolling is not common even the survey suggests that only 5% of people enjoy doing it. Moreover the study doesn’t mean that it’s a 100% guarantee; there are still a few trollers who are not sadists. That’s how confidence intervals work; I’m assuming it’s 95%. Ultimately, this study proves that you should not feed the trolls because if you do not show distress, they will most likely leave you alone and move on

• oh please its not a mental illness. everytime something is wrong doesn't mean its a mental illness. When someone's sad they dont have depression, when someone's angry they don't have anger issues. When someone's an online troll, they're just cowards who live unsatisfied, or sad lives.

• That's not 100 percent correct , If a person is sad enough they will develop depression , If a person is angry enough they do in fact have a problem Its only natural to get a little angry at stuff but when you face turns red from your temper flares up & you knock over a chair shouting words not fit for church you have a problem

• 17h

@xkildy your statement doesn't contradict my own

• Trolling is Evil: It's Proven to be Linked With Strong Mental Illnesses

• I think in some cases yes in others no people who troll you and repeatedly reply about nonsense yes they probably are mentally ill but like going on a site and getting a rise out of people that is just simply fun I mean seriously who doesn't like playing the bad guy?

• Well I have no doubt that people who troll have some serious issues they are not dealing with
    However I have to disagree with your equating trolls and haters while both may have something wrong with them it is not the same thing at all

• Show more from Guys
    75

What Girls Said 23

• Interesting--though I do wonder if people find it easier to forget their empathy when online because they're not actually facing facing someone. Sitting behind a computer does de-humanize our interactions quite a bit, and I wonder if these trolls feelings would change if they were forced to meet the people they are attacking--like if it wold give them a reality check... just some thoughts

• There are two types of trolling, ones that like to get people worked up over silly things vs the ones that will say inhuman things. I do troll like the first one. Even in person. I like to get people annoyed alittle to get a small reaction. Maybe its my way of wanting attention due to childhood neglect. But the second one i could never do. I see death threats and horrible things. Those i wouldn't be surprised if they were psychopathic

• We all troll sometimes. The key is to know when to stop and when our behaviour is really hurtful to someone else...

• A study doesn't confirm, it suggests based on its findings. There are a billion studies out there and many are flawed, you shouldn't use one single study to set something in stone.

• I troll all the time though and I'm pretty sure I don't feel "sadistic glee at the distress of others" lmao- I just laugh at my own troll comments whether or not anyone responds to it.

• The definition of internet troll is not correct. Troll is not the same thing as a hater.

• Replying to myself here, but I got to say, that study is seriously flawed. Trolling isn´t one behaviour. It´s a mix of behaviors that are unwanted in a certain situational context. All of those behaviors are not traits constituting mental illness. Trolling is disrupting a conversation. This can be done for many reasons. Mental illness is rarely a factor, just go check out political twitter for instance. In many cases trolls want to disrupt a politically sensitive conversation. Some trolls may indeed be mentally ill. I have mayself seen examples of it. However, mental illness cannot explain the majority of trolling cases. Also, the author is presupposing the troll is doing it because they´re sadists and like causing "pain" in others. Not true in most cases. Just consider the Russian "troll factories". They have a political purpose, and mental illness got nothing to do with it. That study is unscientific and seriously flawed.

• This article is missing something (or the study it's about it is) - how is 'trolling' defined here really? What consists of 'bullying'? It could be a wide spectrum of things.

• They have an antisocial disorder for sure, I didn't need a specialist to know that. Getting satisfaction from other people's negative emotional is not a trait of a healthy person

• I have a cousin who did trolling online and she was mentalli I'll. Now she is so much better and doing good in life after getting treatment. I don't hate trolls, I pity them.

• Any a crowd at a party you have a sect of unsavory on a planet of 6 billion the extremes are off the charts. If our justice system acted swifter our intelligence agencies worked together as one team we could take the "sick" out in one sweep. MY idea is simple
    Take all the states and esch state was open to that type of person.
    Let's say Amsterdam Party city for weed and Prostitution.
    So if that isn't your thing dont live there.
    And the Just Puritans could Have Cleavland.
    Trolls would have a setup liked
    Escape from LA. Where the state had a Trump like wall and they all could be together separately from others and the world could live in harmony and free

• They are troubled and weird. No point of paying attention go them

• Show more from Girls
    13