Is it possible that a person be skinny yet have a protruding belly?

Past few months my schedule has been really messed up. I miss my lunch quite often (almost 3-4 days a week). Sometimes I return home by 5 or 6 and have lunch that late.
Since I skip lunch most days, I eat other substitutes to keep myself fed... which mostly includes fast food and junk food.

Now, I have a lean stature. I'm 5'7" weighing 53.3 kgs (which is underweight πŸ˜…). What bothers me now is that eating fast food on a regular basis might affect my health:
1. I wonder if all of those will help me gain mass
2. But what bothers me is... what if I stay lean and lanky... with all the fat being concentrated under my tummy 🀣

Also... my exercise schedule isn't regular either πŸ˜…Is it possible that a person be skinny yet have a protruding belly?

68

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. I'm technically pretty underweight, yet my stomach doesn't look flat due to an anterior pelvic tilt and other health reasons.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's possible yes, for many reasons. A protruding belly is often a sign of malnutrition.

It could also have to do with weak muscles on the inside of the abdomen. Often even guys who weight training have this, because they train the abs for example but they don't realise that there's a layer of muscle behind that. What these muscles do is bring in the stomach like this:

In fact in order to strength those muscles you have to use a "stomach vacuum" exercise where you do exactly that and hold it for 10 seconds at a time and let it go repeatedly.

It can also have to do with fat build-up. Fat can also build up both on the outside and the inside of this muscular wall. If you have low testosterone, which is you don't exercise, don't eat enough, and only eat junk food you very likely do have low testosterone levels, most of your fat will gather there.