Where Do Your Values Lie?

Jamie05rhs
Where Do Your Values Lie?
Husband Material?

Look at the man in the photo. Tall. Handsome. Well-dressed. Confident. ...Right? Most women, when asked who they would want to marry, would probably describe someone like that.

That man is Ray Kroc, the person who supposedly "founded" McDonald's. (Even though he didn't.) I recently watched the movie "The Founder," which is a biographical film about him, which came out in 2016.

The movie tells you the story behind the McDonald's that you see today (which was actually founded by the brothers Dick and Mac McDonald.) Through a series of business maneuvers, Kroc ended up becoming the owner of the international McDonald's restaurant corporation. In doing so, he made a TON of money. He became a billionaire.

But Ray Kroc wasn't always successful. In the beginning, when he was just starting out, he tried a number of business ventures, and struggled with each one and never really got his feet off the ground. And even in the early days of his dealings with McDonald's, he didn't really make any money. It was a hard life. He put in a lot of effort, with little return.

But through it all, his wife stood by him.

But this is where the story takes a turn for the worse. Throughout the first 2/3 of the movie, I was really enjoying it. It had me on the edge of my seat, and I was really rooting for Ray to win. But then he did something really despicable, and from that point on, I was ashamed that I had ever liked him.

Right after making the most important business deal of his life, and right as he reached the plateau and was beginning to see the fruits of his efforts finally come in,

....he divorced his wife.

He left her for another woman. (And I think that woman was married as well. So it makes it even worse, because he destroyed two families.).

I could never look at him the same way after that. I was just thoroughly disgusted; and the rest of the movie was not fun to watch.

Here was a man who made business his number one quest in life. (Which is fine, because that is what our capitalist society tells us to do. 🙄 ). But he lost sight of what was actually important. Which was his family. His wife. The person he pledged his life to. He tossed her aside like yesterday's trash, because she wasn't useful to him anymore.

Is that REALLY the type of man you want to marry? I would challenge you to seriously think about that.

Be careful what you wish for.

(P.S. And here's the kicker:. The woman that he married after divorcing his wife? He divorced her, too!!)

(P.P.S. In the greatest irony of all ironies, this film was produced by The Weinstein Company.)

Where Do Your Values Lie?
9
15
9Girl Opinion
15Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girls

• Brainsbeforebeauty

Just proves the point that more money doesn't always equate with more happy or better life..
    And that a smart woman knows it's not what the man drives but what drives the man. My husband wasn't a billionaire, he did okay till he got sick and couldn't work anymore, but he was faithful to me for 20 years, he took care of me when I had back surgery, taking me to the bathroom in the middle of the night, driving me when couldn't drive myself, taking care of the kids till I could do it again, cooking/cleaning... The things people should do for one another, and that meant more to me then any "billions" ever could

Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
  • sunshineglow

Thank you for sharing!
    This comes as an absolute synchronicity with what I have seen last night! I will share the link with all of you!
    Marry who God has in store in you, not what is "advertised" as desirable! PS, Elon Musk is a clear narcissist too, and we glorified him.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JF-KrSnixr4
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

715
  • jennifer_bloom

I agree with you on this, we have to be careful who we choose

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • jamesgoldman

My values, I couldn't honestly tell you

Prosperity and success maybe

To quote Oscar Wilde 'I have the simplest tastes, I am always satisfied with the best'

N. b. I know an interesting ditty about Ray Kroc he wasn't in the hamburger business but the real estate one because McDonald's owns vast volumes of land (they either outstrip or come second only to the church)

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • That's absolutely right.

• @jamesgoldman I know you'll be very successful in life. You've always impressed me as a man who has a good head on your shoulders.
      I hope that, if you find love along the way, you will treat your woman right and take good care of her.

• Thank you
      That is a colossal 'if' (I suspect it will remain as such) but I'm sure I would

• Apple1996

It seems like a lot of rich business men have multiple marriages. Maybe they are always searching for the next best thing instead of being content with what they have? Possibly a mindset that they pick up from having to take the next best deal that comes to the table cause it could be more beneficial then the last one. Most of them don't have good values cause they can't doing that type of work.

Like 3 People
    Reply
  • G5TWA1

Do you have a problem with divorce?
    Cause I understand this guy was a piece of shit, but all his moves reflected that, not just his divorce, maybe you thought that was a line he wouldn't cross, but still, I was surprised when I saw the movie but it wasn't out of character

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Yes, I do very much have a problem with divorce.

• G5TWA1

why?

• @G5TWA1 What do you mean, "why"? It's DIVORCE.

• t-8900

Money, the root of all evil. ale what you need to live a decent life. Don't live for ba career, God no. Can't stand that shallow mentality at all...

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • I appreciate your thoughts. But you made a few spelling errors, I think.

• t-8900

thats because of my stupid phone. My fingers are too big for the keyboard. XD

• Oh, okay. No problem.
      What did you actually mean to say?

• GoldenAxer

I sometimes wonder if I'm fortunate not to have become powerful enough to end up like that. I'm reminded of the quote:

Where Do Your Values Lie?

I sometimes wonder if the reason I'm not so powerful is that I'm not so corrupt or if the reason I'm not so corrupt is that I'm not so powerful. The latter seems more probable, I'm not so talented or lucky to be so successful and powerful. So I have to wonder if I would be as corrupt in a hypothetical world where I was so successful.

I like to hope not. I don't know. It's the type of test I'll probably never have.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • I sometimes think it's difficult to know up from down when we immerse ourselves too much in an environment that makes it hard to tell. Take those undercover cop stories, for example. Sometimes I think becoming very powerful and successful is like that. I don't think it's like someone decides to abandon their values one day. Maybe more like their environment makes them make the smallest compromise, and another, and another, until their values as they formerly had it was almost gone... only to be reminded which side they are on when they police show up.

• Good input. That was very thought-provoking. Thank you.

• I think fidelity is something you need to affirmatively decide at the beginning. And all other decisions should be based on that.

• TessCasie

Poor people live happier lives cause they don’t have high expectations they just live in reality.

Like 3 People
    Reply
    • Well, I don't think anyone should aspire to be poor. But being content with what you have is I believe one of the keys to a happy life.

• yofuknutz

Not the poor people in my neighborhood but they have less complicated lives

• TessCasie

@yofuknutz true

• LaFerrari

Too much money is to many problems, look at beeps for instance…. His wife is what the 3rd richest woman in the world now because of a divorce…. She didn’t love him, she loved the money.

Ghislane maxwell loved Jeffery Epstein for his money, and she’d do anything for it…. She didn’t love him, she loved the wealth.

See where I’m going with this? The majority of rich men and women probably go through it…. They find someone they think they love, and end up unhappy and betrayed.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Assi2k

I believe that he never really loved her. Some people that are in relationships don’t really get in them because they’re so in love with each other. They do that it cuz they’re setting. She must’ve made herself too available and he saw an opportunity to be with a great women but he never loved her. He just loved himself enough to let himself be with a great woman.
    I’m not blaming the wife here by the way. She definitely sounds like a keeper but she must’ve had a feeling (however small) that he only every cares about himself. From their conversations, his actions and what he prioritizes. Don’t ignore red flags.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • I agree with most of what you said, but I will take issue with your assertion that his wife "made herself too available."

• Assi2k

I feel like he's the kind of man that enjoys things that take pretty long and a lot of effort to acquire. If not he won't value it. So I just drew a parallel from his career to their marriage.

• Hmm. Seems like kind of a stretch. But okay.

• Bethany22

It's interesting that he divorced the second wife as well. It kind of makes him look less guilty of just staying with his first wife until he had more options to choose from due to increased finances. It's a bit sick though that he ruined that other woman's marriage that could have otherwise still been together if it weren't for him.

Reply
    • I just think he's a disgusting person altogether.
      And people need to stop treating marriage as some cheap joke.

• And yes; breaking up someone else's marriage is about the worst thing you could ever do.

• yofuknutz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Kroc?wprov=sfla1

real life Ray Kroc had three wives damn he like to hit it in the film the founder the first wife appeared to be annoying but we do not know what he piss her off looking back maybe he should have taken his wife with him on all those road trips I mean you go to the motel and you hear people next door to you pounding all kinds of sexual noises and he was by himself I'm sure that did a lot of damage I don't know if you people have any concept of how tough it is to be a Salesman that's why he had no hair Ray pulled it out.

Where Do Your Values Lie?
    Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • I didn't think she was annoying at all.

But yeah, maybe they should have gone on the trips together. That's not a bad idea, man.

• yofuknutz

^^^^ thank you for the thumbs up I have gotten threats lately harassment from an anonymous poster on a different post but that neither here and there. When I left home cuz I got tired of New York you cannot make it you got to have a really good button and what people don't understand is when your children leave the nest whoever you're with you start to look at them are they still relevant yes I know that's a very cold thing to say but you know something when you get hit with divorce papers that's cold your heart I guess at the bottom of your heart and the top of your stomach you actually feel cold like ice and my step dad at the time was a truck driver and my mom heard about the lot lizards either I said something or something he said I forgot so my mom said fuck this she hopped in the truck with him to see the country keep him satisfied and away from the lot lizards and sometimes they did face discrimination because they were a multi-racial couple but most of the time things worked out eventually they broke up down the road I think my mom was able to hold back the inevitable and you know I give her credit for that and then as the years went by the situation with truckers in Africa I have spoken to a personally and India coming back home with HIV the situation is really dire I noticed some tribes that some countries maybe are able to harm reduction the situation some of those cultures practice polygamy so I don't know the final analysis of that but you can see how that can work one wife stays home with the children hopefully she is getting no action on the side and the other wife is with the husband in the truck satisfying his needs so some girl walking by shaking her booty cannot swayed him here in America it takes about a week to return trip with the truck and Africa it could take months if you're lucky it takes weeks you expect to effectively keep your dick in your pants all time yeah good luck

• @yofuknutz. Thanks for sharing, man. I appreciate that.

Though I do have to say that someone shaking their booty in front of you is still no excuse to not keep your dick in your pants.

• DaveToo

Pst. I thought Michael Keaton did a magnificent portrayal of Kroc. Kroc had an incredible idea of taking a reasonably successful business and turning it into a mega-giant. In the process, he got caught up in his own success and pissed off a lot of people, not the least of which was his wife.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Joker_

My values never lie, so my answer to this question would be nowhere

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • ohshee

I would love to know if it was a Fair Square Deal between him and the McDonald Brothers McDonald's does not taste the same as it used to it's disgusting now if you were to buy a Big Mac leave it on the table for a day you can play hockey with it you can't even wrap it up and put it in the refrigerator and eat it the next day because it's still a hockey puck you would think somebody that makes as much money as he does artist much money is that company does they would use real food and not preservatives your ice cream is good I don't know what it's made out of butt not that type of butt the other b u t anyway it sounds like I would like to watch a movie or if Burger King is really the king burgers or if Jack in the Box has any daughters

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • exitseven

I know guys that are workaholics and have lots of money. They have crazy kids that went to the most expensive colleges and are older than my kids (30s) and want to be "photographers", "writers" or "sportscasters". In reality they go from one unpaid internship to the next. Their personal lives are a mess and they go to work to feel some kind of validation.
    One guy I know has a picture of a big cabin cruiser on his desk. He never finds time use it.
    I was never career oriented. I do not define myself by what I do for a living which at the moment is nothing because I am currently unemployed since the pandemic.
    Work to me is just something that earns me enough money to provide a good life for my family.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • humanearth

You that part is bad about him.

Look into his membership with the builderburgs

Reply
  • karaspara

Yep just goes to show

Like 5 People
    Reply
  • KrakenAttackin

I quite agree.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Show More (2)