God Is In The Rain

I don't know if it's possible to use the phrase circle of life without instantly projecting the image of Elton John into everyone's head. Musical talents notwithstanding, I certainly don't want to do that. And since I have (particularly with the Elton John follow-up reference which was - possibly - unnecessary) I apologize. But the phrase comes to mind occasionally when I encounter someone who has lost faith in other people, life, or themselves.

And the phrase is of course followed, painfully, by the Elton John song. Again, apologies for triggering that. But the point I want to make is that we live in a world that is full of beings. In our homes we have people, and cats and dogs, and hamsters and frogs, and even funny fish. The unfortunate among us have additional, unwanted guests. I, for example, have 3 one-hit wonders from the 80's crashing at my place. And if you think it's funny when Devo says "A-Ha! You're home" to A-Ha everyday, well, my friend, you are very tolerant. But as I sit here with Devo, A-Ha, and Slaughter (who are surprisingly responsible about cleaning), I wish to make the point that while people are a part of the world, they are not the whole of it.

We are the focal point of our own lives. The circle radiates out from there to include significant others, family, and friends. And from there to colleagues, bosses, so on and so forth. But it does not end there. Past the strips of concrete lives a thriving community that exists and operates in a way that is different from ours. The surface level concerns that we are weighed down by, ranging from money, to career success, to appearance, etc. are held in the lowest levels. But our highest attributes - strength, kindness, and love - are esteemed greatly.

While I understand someone shaking their fists at the heavens, I think it is helpful to remember that "God is in the rain." The values of goodness, love, and support aren't only to be found among humans, nor should we let a bad fight, a bad break, or a bad boss convince us that the world and our lives aren't worth it. Beyond our cocoon is a world of sunshine, fresh breezes, and balanced life. Expanding our view of the world beyond cute guys and girls can help us find the emotional security and self confidence to stand proudly on our own achievements and inherent worth and become successful.

The Peace of Wild Things

"When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free."

Wendell Berry

God Is In The Rain
2
4

Most Helpful Guy

• serp777
    What's the point of this? All I see is a blatant use of cliches and endless platitudes.

"But the point I want to make is that we live in a world that is full of beings."

Oh really? What a profound insight you have there.

And God is in the rain? The f***? That sounds like something a shroomed hippie would say in order to sound enlightened. It makes no sense, and lacks any metaphorical relevance.

"stand proudly on our own achievements"

You're off to a bad start by writing this.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• svartalf
    That was rather illuminating. =)

Thank you for writing this, and for including the poem.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

13
  • DeanW
    I agree with you in many ways. Ironically, those capable of thinking deeply are also those most likely to see things from a broader perspective, with less of a me first attitude. For me the idea is to always have a mental/emotional place to go to refresh myself, to remember that people - and their good and bad points - aren't the whole world. It's easy to forget that and life can become sad if your joy and pain only comes from humans
  • WindChaser
    Ideally speaking, your passage would be perfect. But in today society, where darkness and corruption lurk at every corner, it's very difficult to see the goodness beyond those dark clouds. Not many people have thought deeply about life and all its meaning, and only a few of those who have thought deeply enough can find their bliss and joy. What to do, what to do, in this crumbling world..
  • martyfellow
    I think it's a close competition between Elton John and Oprah for the most meainglesss and inane existence led by any being on this planet.
  • sadie-lynn
    um..i don't really understand what you are trying to say...?