12 Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places

If I wasn't a poor college student, I would go to all of these places. A few of these are haunted so I would need to bring lots and lots of salt. I believe in science, but when I am in places like these I'm more open-minded. Plus you can never be too sure.

Abandoned subway station in New York. Around 600 people would use it daily.

Chateau Miranda. Built by French Aristocrats were fleeing the guillotine. It has over 500 windows. In the nineties, people wanted to turn it into a hotel but proved to cost too much money. It's still abandoned.

St. George's church in the Czech village of Lukova.

A movie theatre in Detroit. It's now a parking garage.

Duntulm Castle. With the exception of ghost towns, this is the only abandoned place I've explored. Even then, I wasn't as close as this photographer is. This castle is one of the many castles that was owned the Macdonald clan. The Macdonalds were a Scottish, power-hungry clan that had a ton of power and basically ran the Scottish highlands for quite some time. The Macdonald clan is very, very large.

A specific branch of the Macdonalds called the Glencoes, let there guard down once and that was the end of them. They were completely unarmed and all 38 of them were killed by the Campbell Clan. This was known as the Glencoe Massacre. The Glencoe Massacre partially inspired the Red Wedding episode from game of thrones. Another 40 women and children died from exposure because Campbells also burned their houses down. According to legend, the castle was abandoned after the chieftains infant son fell from a window. As punishment, the nursery maid was set adrift in the Atlantic Ocean.

Willard Asylum for the chronically insane. This place totally reminds me of the asylum from American Horror Story. People were dying right and left. People used to say that you didn't get out unless it was in a box. But not even death was an escape. When people died, they were buried in an unmarked grave somewhere on the property and forgotten. Most people stayed here their entire lives. The reasons people were admitted were ridiculous. If you lived what they called an immoral life, you were admitted.

What they considered immoral, meant if you lived an independent and free life. If you had a fever and lost a lawsuit, you were admitted. If you showed signs of anger, aggravation, or really any negative emotion, you were admitted. This asylum shows how far we have come in terms of mental health. Back then it wasn't weird for a patient to be completely naked, strapped to an operating table, and left there 24/7. Lobotomics and shock therapy was regularly used on patients. Even in 1942, brutal shock therapies were being used on patients. Even though by this time, people knew they had proven to be more harmful than effective.

Military hospital in Germany.

Hotel Del Salto in Colombia. This is now a museum. It offers a breathtaking view of the Tequendama falls. It was abandoned after the water in the river became contaminated. It was a popular place for people to kill themselves which made people believe it was haunted.

Eastern State Penitentiary in Pennsylvania, USA. The inmates had little contact with other people. They were hooded when they were outside of their cells and were hardly allowed any contact even with the guards. This quickly backfired. The solitary and loneliness just drove people insane and many killed themselves here. One of its most famous guests was Al Capone.

Even though he had the nicest room, he complained of being haunted by one of the victims of the Valentines Day Massacre. Some gruesome thing the prisoners went through included being dunked in an ice cold bath and then hung from the wall for the night, periods of induced starvation, and being confined to a chair for days on end. At least two guards were murdered and hundreds have died from old age or disease. It now offers tours.

Preston Castle. It was a reform school for boys. Escape attempts happened every week. A distinguished alumni was Merle Haggard. He tried to escape twice. They asked him for a donation, but the fact that he told them to F--- off should say how much he hated this place. For every escape attempt, the boys were beaten and then thrown into solitary confinement. 16 boys have died here. Most from yellow fever or TB. One however, was shot in the back for trying to escape. Also, one of the housekeepers was beaten to death in the basement.

It was incredibly efficient. It had a bakery, a print shop, farm, and the garden was very popular. Of course it was later found out the garden was popular because the boys were growing weed. It closed its doors in 1960. You can't really call it abandoned since it now offers overnight ghost tours. They do an especially scary one right around Halloween. My mom and both sisters went to that and said it's scary as hell.

Abandoned theatre in Russia.

Abandoned amusement park in Germany.

1011
ginny_weasley is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can see the 'City Hall' station platform by staying on the (6) train after it terminates at Brooklyn Bridge when going downtown. The conductor usually says "Leave the train" but you can legally stay inside and ride through the station. The train will take you to the uptown platform at Brooklyn Bridge after making the loop through City Hall. Great screeching sound too. Be sure to open the doors between the cars so you can hear it. I've done it a few times. It will cost just $2.75

Most Helpful Girl

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• That New York subway looks like a set piece from "Doctor Strange."

• Can I buy one of this places like that Preston castle!..
    Or that
    Eastern State Penitentiary in Pennsylvania, USA.

• Billionaires are wasting their money. If I had enough money, I would buy an old abandoned house and fix it up.

• So I can buy one of this places!.. They are for sale

• I have no idea. I am willing to bet there are abandoned buildings that you can buy though.

• Beautiful places indeed, too bad they are abandoned, cool Take.

• these are awesome

• Ooh very spooky. There are two prisons in Tennessee that are very scary. Tennessee State Prison in Nashville looks like an old castle. Brushy Mountain is haunted too. That is where they kept James Earl Ray.

• Really cool and a bit spooky

• Great job
    It is an interesting travel them
    I will may go for it either.

• I actually didn't know if a lot of these places

• Whats the church in my country called?

• I will get back to you on that. It's part of a photography shoot. So I will try to find the photographer.

• Definitely not in the Netherlands. I just confirmed it's in the Czech village of Lukova. Damn you google with the false information

What Girls Said 9

• First one😍😍😍

• Omg I wanna goooo!

• uh... yeah no. ('-' )

• Wow some of them are really creepy but really interesting👌 would love to check them out " not alone" lol👍

• that abandoned theatre in russia looks nice

• ı love abondened places

• It's very interesting
    Great take 😊

• I want to visit these places now.

• It would be so cool to have sex there