8 Toxic Personalities You Should Avoid Like The Plague

Toxic people defy logic and try to Influence the way you think, the way see yourself and the way see the world.

1) The Gossip

People gossip to elevate themselves above their own insecurity and low-self esteem.Gossipers gain pleasure from other people’s personal failures and misfortunes. They exaggerate, fabricate, twist facts , distort information and make hurtful judgments. They can never be trusted with confidential information ,because they betray people's confidence by spreading sensitive information,and even make up stories to make someone else look bad to make themselves feel better by comparison. Gossipers are cowards, because they usually put others down, devaluate and talk about people when they aren't around. It’s best not to get involved with their gossip and feed the gossiper with curiosity by agreeing with them, or further questioning them, because when you listen and/or respond, you empower them .They thrive on the drama they create. Instead, refuse to give them the attention and power they crave, and simply change the subject. Or better still walk away. People who gossip about others to you, gossip about you to others.

Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools and believed by idiots.

2) The Manipulator

Master Manipulators are highly perceptive. They know exactly what you like, what makes you tick,what makes you happy,what makes you sad and what makes you laugh. They know how to detect your weaknesses, and they persistently test your boundaries. But they use all this information as part of a hidden agenda.Once they've found out your weaknesses, they use your weaknesses against you through mental distortion and emotional exploitation to get what they want from you.They try to influence you to their own advantage. Their intention is to gain power and control over you, so they can gain privileges & benefits at your expense. Manipulators use many different tactics to win you over

Common Tactic of Manipulators ( to name just a few)

Lying

Pleading until they wear you down

Guilt Tripping

Bulling & Threats

False Hope & Empty Promises.

Name Calling & Personal Attacks/Criticism

Crying Or Sulking

Withdrawing

Misquoting

Manipulative people do not understand the concept of boundaries. They are relentlessness in their pursuit of what they want ,and they have no regard for who gets hurt along the way

3) Temperamental

Temperamental people have absolutely no control over their emotions. Their mood can change drastically from one moment to the next. They're generally compulsive, volatile, irritable, impatient unstable, explosive people, and they are easily angered. They will lash out at you for no apparent reason, and project their feelings onto you, making you feel you are to blame for their mood changes. Temperamental people need everyone to be in as bad of a mood as them, because they feel better about themselves knowing that they have the power to dominate other people's moods. Allowing them to control your emotions keeps feeding their attitude, and it reinforces their behavior.

Those who have control over their emotions, have great power over those who don't

4) Envious

Envious people never feel satisfied or happy with what they have, because they measure their "fortune" against everyone else's, instead of gaining their satisfaction from within themselves. Envious people are toxic , because they teach you to trivialize your own accomplishments.They secretly enjoy watching you suffer whenever you fail or face setbacks. They undermine what you've accomplishments by discrediting, devaluing and downplaying everything good that you accomplish. They aren't capable of being happy when good things happen to you. If you fail ,it makes them happier than their own success,because they need to see you go down to lift themselves up.

Jealousy generates aggression, due to a desire to deprive a person of his superiority in anything.

5) The Hater

Haters suffer from an inferiority complex, and hatred is a reliever for them. They hate everybody and everything.They complain all the time,and aren't capable of having a two-way conversation. The root of their hatred is they are unhappy with themselves.

Your biggest hater could be your closest friend. People pretend well

6) The Perpetual Victim

Those who play the victim never accept responsibility. They're unable to recognize their own mistakes, and never admit that something is their fault. They put the responsibility and blame on individuals or society. They think everyone is out to get them. These type of people are immature and they lack the ability to face their own difficulties in life.They choose to suffer rather than trying to confront their problems. They tell stories of how bad things are for him/her,but they don’t want help. They don’t even want to stop their pain, because their pain is their story. Their pain is how they get everyone’s sympathy and attention,and they’re addicted to the feeling they get when they gain other people’s sympathy .The victim is a negative influence on your life, because they only spread negativity, and they’ll load all of their problems and responsibilities on you

Don't be fooled ,people who create drama, and then portray themselves as a victim are playing games.They are manipulating you

7) The Argumentative Person

Some people just love to argue. Argumentative people thrive on confrontation, and they'll argue anywhere, anytime, about anything and everything. These type of people can't have a debate, and they are incapable of listening to other people. They enjoy arguing just for the sake of arguing. When they come across people whose views and opinions are different from their own, they feel threatened, so they cause conflict to gain control and power over you. They often resort to insults, name-calling and mockery .Argumentative people are self-absorbed and they have narcissistic tendencies. They lack confidence and self-worth, so they seek it through aggression and arguments

Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance

8.) Judgmental

Judgmental people nitpick and find fault with everyone and everything. They never have anything positive to say,and they always look down on others. Nothing and no one is ever good enough for them.There is a huge difference between making a judgment and being judgmental. Judgments are objective and based on discernment, while being judgmental is just about criticism. People like this don't give constructive criticism,they're overly critical , and only see the world in black & white, right or wrong.They don't appreciate that people are different from them,and they have no room for opinions that differ from their own.They have limited sense of humor, and they're often sarcastic towards anyone whose outlook is different from their own.Judgmental people are terrible listeners and even worse communicators.They judge others to feel better with themselves.

Being judged isn't actually about you.It's about them,and their own insecurities,limitations and needs

1727
Fitness-Fanatic is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• Not to down your Take or anything but I feel like these are all types we could easily read about in all the psychology textbooks and magazines.

Some personalities or behaviors I would consider toxic are people who always talk around you or over you in a group because they think you're not important enough to be included.

People who treat you as lesser or not important because you don't think like them or because they've been places you haven't.

And people who are arrogant about their life, looks, or wealth and actually do display it as a way to make others envious.

• Correct me if I'm wrong... but if you avoid all these types of people aren't you basically avoiding all people? And cats, because cats manipulate (my littlest one cries like a baby to get food and only nudges me when she wants something. I'm a sucker and give in to her requests because she's so adorable).

This is one of my issues with the "toxic personalities" thing. I would hazard a guess that everybody possesses at least some of these traits some of the time. Probably all of them at some point. In order not to, you have to purposely try to avoid... and anybody who is trying that hard to change their personality is suspect.

I would say the Ninth toxic personality is the kind that distances themselves from other "toxic" people because they just can't deal with the toxicity- they don't want to deal with other people's flaws and issues as other people deal with theirs.

I liked this Take and I enjoyed the points you made and the way it was articulated, but I think people can take this too far and start looking for these qualities in other people. Which, of course, is characteristic of the 8th type of personality- judgement.

Most Helpful Girls

• I think you probably messed up a bit with your title. Should have said, "8 Personality Traits you should avoid like the plague."Even if that would be an absurd concept to apply to life. Pretty much all of these traits you listed you will find in someone because people aren't perfect. And there are many variables that come into play. But just because the person is a little wacky doesn't always mean they are terrible.

Still, that would be the title you need to fit the content you provided as these aren't "personalities" alone. With the title you have, you should have explained literal personality disorders that make the people by default ten to be toxic. Things like narcissism, schizophrenia, BPD, psychopathy or sociopathy. Those would have been the correct things to talk about here. Still, I admire the way you put everything together and said your piece. Good Mytake. Have a great one.

• If i have one of these traits.. does that make me toxic :( im sorry
    (accidentally aguementive and envious.. sometimes i can't control my anger only because i love justice...,

Also MY ENTIRE SCHOOL GOSSIPS

• I don't think so it2ly.

Like others have pointed out, everyone has some of these some of the time. I think you become "toxic" when one or more of these traits DEFINE you as a person. But you might want to keep an eye on these traits in yourself to make sure that they don't take over.

• Thankyou.. this is really helpful

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 25

• i use to have 2 guy friends, i nicknamed them pork and dork. pork is the toxic friend we're no longer friends with. when we use to hang out a lot everything was cool and chill, but when we started expanding our group/circle with have more than just the 3 of us, that's when his toxicity started showing. basically it's like whenever it's just us 3, pork is really nice to us. he would buy us drink, offer to do things for us and etc. but every time it's more than the 3 of us, he would use dork as a laughing stock. makes fun of him, puts him down, tells everyone about his embarrassing moments and etc. people do laugh but you can see it on their faces that they thought it was mean and uncalled for. everytime after the group hangouts dork would call me to vent because he's upset he was being put down and made fun of in front of everyone all the time. eventually i spoke to pork about it as this pattern happened so often, but he kept doing it and even started doing it to me too, so eventually we stopped being friends with pork.

• LOL (thinks arguments are just conflict, completely ignoring how important they are)

The world needs more argumentative people, there's too many followers who just accept things and let things slide. If somebody says something that begs to be argued over, I'm sure as hell not gunna ignore it! I used to do that, and people loved me, I got along with way more people, but guess what?

I wasn't myself and the moment I started being myself, I realized those people weren't stimulating me in any constructive way.

Arguments are constructive and stimulating is basically what I'm trying to say. This take starts out good then you run out of good ideas and your filler is just plain wrong...

"Being judged isn't actually about you. It's about them, and their own insecurities, limitations and needs"

Actually insert this logic into some hypotheticals and see how retarded it is. Let's say somebody shoots my dog, and my dog was just barking from behind my fence. So if I judge them, it's all in my head, it's all about me, I'm being selfish and my judgement has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that this fucking asshole shot my dog? Are you really attempting to absolve the person being judged of all responsibility for that judgement? Because the phrase

'Being judged isn't actually about you. It's about them, and their own insecurities, limitations and needs'

sure as fuck reads that way! Admit you copypasted a dumb quote without thinking it through

I doubt you will though, you probably already hate me for being the 'argumentative type' fucking facepalm

• This is pretty deep!! You can't just pick people out, I think multiple ones can apply to the same person but it's also about looking at the person and asking does this apply them? It's a lot to take in but it's good to call these people out because, knowing is the pathway to healing. Great mytake!!

• Great mytake :)
    I personally am a manipulator but I do not do it in an aggressive way, I do it by nature, it just sort of happens and I'm not trying to play innocent, I just find that by nature, my personality revolves around the fact that I am sadistic so manipulation is entertaining for me, trickery and careful wording is typically how I manipulate but I do not use any aggressive means, I would not use any aggressive measures to manipulate an individual <3

• I think 100% of people fall into one of these categories at some point or another in their life. Everyone has a dark side and everyone has gone through tough times and had to work on themselves.

And if a person is absolutely sure they don't exhibit any of these qualities, they probably exhibit more than most because they're incapable of self-reflection.

• Tbh tho some of the smartess people are manipulator and envy And some of the best people are also envy and manipulator so i more like will stay around them. Also most of my favourite charters in shows are these as well, like in once upon a time selena (the wicked witch) is full of envy but yet she is my fav charter. So i really don't mind these two. And argumentive is also good if the person is actaully smart then you can have long intresting convos about things.

• "8.) Judgmental"
    It's funny because there's a lot of it in this essay. Kinda shows that we're all toxic to various degrees.

• Imagine someone who combines all of these personalities into a super-toxic personality! I've met someone like that. It's rare, but possible.

• Good list. #s 2,4 and 7 are especially toxic, but they are all best avoided (can't always do it, though- have to be diplomatic sometimes).

• Just about everyone is that way from time to time, it's the perpetuals that you need to avoid.

• "Judgmental people nitpick and find fault with everyone and everything"

*Reads MyTake judging types of people again*

*Claps at the ironic joke*

• Indeed, you're right, great Take. I had problems with lots of such people, specially number 1, 7 and 8.

• Great take but it sums up 80% of people on the planet.

• I think most people on this planet do some of these things from time to time.

• Would you consider arguing ok if it was done in a decent way?

• *Cracks every crackable part of my body.*
    Time to nit-pick ((possibly.. depends on what comes to mind..))

1.) Agree.

2.) The most successful men and women on the planet fall into this category. Plus, we as people manipulate each other all the time even if it's not intentional. So I find it hard to believe that manipulative people should apologize for being ahead of the evolutionary curb.

3.) Temperamental =/= having no control. Many temperamental people have a lot of restraint, but I guess that just makes them even more "toxic" to you right? LOL

4.) Agree.

5.) Knee-jerk "Haters be hatin cause they ain't me" defense cliché *ding*!

6.) Agree!

7.) I've noticed a pattern among other humans.. in 99% of cases, those who attempt to trash on argumentative people tend to get their rectums kicked in when it comes to arguments.

8.) So in other words, "strong opinions == bad."

• I will make sure to indulge myself with these types of personalities

• This is pretty accurate.

• Great take!

• It's easy to judge other people. Fun too.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 15

• I agree totally!

• Yeah whatever, most people have most of those aspects in them. Example - this take is pretty judgmental.

• The only person I would not be bothered with is the argumentative. I love debating. The rest are just omg horrible.

• I'm a manipulator so I guess that means people should avoid me?

• Yes. You're treating people like resources and things, like chess pieces. Why would anyone want to have a relationship with someone like that?

• Good luck with your meaningless, self absorbed existence. In the end, noone who's worth having around, will be around you.

• Ovcasionally im 1/2/4/8... lots of people are. Its hard to spot one

• Honestly I don't get the point "they lack confidence" next to "they are narcisistic".
    If someone has the god-complex, doesn't that mean that they exceed cockiness, if something?

• Awesome take. A judge-mental one to remind us. Who do you want to be? Of love or hate?

• 7- how can one be narcissistic but also lack confidence?

• You forgot the narcissist

• I know right? I thought she was gonna go into people with personality disorders like narcissism as well. Since she said "personalities" alone. Turns out her title was supposed to say "8 Personality Traits You Should Avoid Like The Plague."

• @CherryRoseChampange true as narcissist have many of the traits mentioned in the post

• i think this is 75% of people

• thank you and agreed

• Yess

• Very true ma'am

• Agree with this taje

• Cool