Left For Dead: How I Survived The Day I Nearly Died

Fitness-Fanatic

Left For Dead

I left my house and headed to the gym around 6am on a November Monday morning. The air was cold, but it was refreshing. I decided to jog to the gym instead of taking my car. The roads were quiet and there was nobody in sight. I had only been jogging up the road for about 10 minutes maximum, when I suddenly saw someone that I recognized step out from behind a tree to my left. To my horror, I saw it was my ex boyfriend,Liam. A chill ran down my spine. I suddenly became paralyzed with fear."Why was HE here" , I thought to myself. He wasn't supposed to be anywhere near me, because I was issued with a domestic violence protection order against him after he constantly made threats to my life, broke into my home, and persistently stalked and harassed me (and even my friends) - after I ended our relationship (I ended it because he became abusive towards me).

I didn't want to get into a conversation with him because I knew he wasn't there to just talk. I also knew he was easily angered and anything I said could provoke him into a rage. My instinct told me to turn around and run towards home or to the nearest house. As I quickly turned around to head away from him I suddenly felt him grab the back of my hair, pulling me backwards. All of a sudden, he seemed to be standing in front of me, with one hand tightly around my wrist. As I tried to pull away, his grip got tighter and tighter. I saw his clenched fist come towards my face. I tried to turn my head away and pull away from him but I just couldn't release his grip. He punched me in the face and I fell backwards on the ground onto my back. I saw him coming towards me so I tried to quickly get back up onto my feet again, but he jumped on top of me, straddling my body. I kicked, I punched, I shouted for help. I did all I could to break free but I just wasn't strong enough to get away.

I can't go into too much detail as it will be too explicit. I fought so hard to fight back and I tried my damn hardest to get away from him as he beat me over and over again. Liam didn't say a word as he punched, kicked and head-butted me. The attack was continuous. I even tried to plead with him but he wasn't listening. I became just too weak to fight back anymore. I felt excruciating pain rip right through my entire body. My body felt as though it was saturated in blood. I could actually feel my head swelling up. I started to struggle to breathe and I was slowly losing my vision. I believed my death was imminent. I must have went unconscious at that moment because I can't remember anything after that point.

Later, the police informed me that an elderly couple walking their dog had disturbed Liam, so he ran off. They saw him running away from the scene and found me lying unconscious in a pool of my own blood. They phoned an ambulance and I was taken to the nearest A&E department at a hospital (A Doctor later told me that if it hadn't been for the elderly couple finding me when they did, I would have most likely died). I can't remember much about my time in hospital. I was placed in a medically induced coma, because I had Cerebral Edema-brain swelling. I suffered from broken ribs, a broken finger, and I had a collapsed lung. I also had bleeding behind one of my eyes, and it was 50/50 chance that I would lose my sight in one eye. Liam had also knocked out one of my teeth but after my recovery, I had a dental tooth implant.

My recovery was a very very long upward battle. Some days it felt like I was taking one step forward and two steps back. Gradually, my full sight came back and I eventually made a full recovery- physically, mentally, and emotionally. Although it was a traumatic experience, I was still alive. Thanks to the kind-hearted elderly couple who came to my aid and called for help, and to the wonderful brilliantly skilled dedicated Surgeons, Doctors and Nurses who fought to save my life.

Liam was subsequently arrested and sent to prison. But just a few weeks after his release, he died in a car accident. Some say that's my Karma, but I don't view it that way. I just know that I no longer have to fear for my life anymore....at the hands of Liam. I no longer have to look over my shoulder. I couldn't fight off Liam physically but I did win the battle with my inner "demons". I have fully healed - psychologically and physically. I'm now finally in a happy place in my life. My experience has taught me that no matter what I face in life, I know I have the mental and emotional capacity and strength to fight back and rise above it. My road to recovery also helped me to fully realize the true value of my friends and family, who never once left my side.

42
22

Most Helpful Girls

• Alice2398
    Oh my god I had no clue someone could be so cruel and viscous towards another especially someone they once had a relationship with. I'm so sorry this happened to you but your extremely brave and strong to have kept fighting and not letting it destroy who you are as a person.

This story actually made me cry a little and I hardly cry at anything. Thank god for that elderly couple who saved your life and all the medical staff who helped you and that your fighting fit now. When you hear stories of people helping others it really restores your faith in humanity.

Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you πŸ’— I'm thankful every single day. Because I know not everyone is as fortunate to survive such a horrific attack. I was in two minds about sharing my story, but I'm happy I did.

• Alice2398

Thanks just a question did you contact the elderly couple to say thank you or have you never seen them since?

• Yes, i have met up with the elderly couple. I took them some flowers and a thank you card.

• MlleCake
    Wow. I feel honored that you would share this story with us.

God bless you dear heart. I am glad you do not have to live in fear.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you ❀

I was in two minds about sharing it on here coz I don't really talk about myself on GaG. But I'm happy I did

Most Helpful Guys

• Decentguy
    im really sorry to hear about that, im glad that the motherfucker died in a car accident, you are a very strong woman, After going through all this you are still standing on your feet, still moving forward with your life, and you learned to smile again and be happy again even after what you have been through, that is called courage, if you even need someone to talk to or vent to, im always here for you
    Is this still revelant?
  • FatherJack
    Kudos to you for recovering mentally , mental scars are deeper than physical. He won't be missed , I believe it to be karma , as an assault of that severity is an attempt to kill , also men like that give us ALL a bad name. To move on from that , is the mark of a very strong person.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you πŸ’— I know most men aren't abusive and vicious by nature. I refused to allow it to stop me loving and trusting again

• I have a daughter to protect too , I am a single dad , anyone hurting her would definitely meet my vicious side , ex British Army para , boxer and Lethwei / Muay Thai exponent... I have used severe force against a would be intruder a few years back... and nearly got charged with grievous bodily harm. I despise " men " like your abusive ex , having a little ( pain in the arse at times !! ) lady brings that home harder. A brave and sobering post

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2040
  • MrMysteryMan
    HOLY FUCK! Glad he's dead and I'm not sorry to say it. Some people really do deserve death I feel.

Anyhow, it must have took you forever to get the courage to write this and possibly because you felt free enough from Liam and that controlling fear over you to finally feel strong enough to do so, and I thank you for this. Hope life starts to reward you for your strength of will and determination to survive.
    • Thank you πŸ’— I wasn't sure whether to share my story, because I never write about myself on here. I'm quite a private person. But I'm happy I did share it. Hopefully it'll help even one person

• Well I believe it helped you and that's one person! ;)

• PrincessPie
    I'm glad you ended up being okay and probably stronger for it.
    Experiences like that can really change you as a person, no wonder you find it hard to trust people as i think i've read in your comments before.
    Anyway thank you for sharing your story, you're a very strong person :)
  • TrixiePooch
    You are indeed blessed to still be alive. I'm glad you no longer have to live in fear. This is just another case that shows women need to carry mace with them when they go running by themselves. Had Molly Tippets been carrying mace she may have still been alive today. It's just too easy for men to overpower women and you need that edge to at least keep them at bay.
    • I agree !

• Philyouup

You said "It's just too easy for men to overpower women" and it is shamefully true.. Women need to educate themselves in self defense and the tools that go with it.

• @Philyouup

Most women do. I know I did, but whether they do or not it's never the victims fault. Self-defence served me no purpose at all.

• Jaguar1818
    You are incredibly lucky. If you ever need someone to talk too, I would be happy listen. I have never been in an abusive relationship with a lover before, however I did grow up in an abusive home. Stay safe hun.
  • Logorithim
    You overcame a lot, and thank God the couple and the medical personnel were there to help you.

Thanks for sharing this story, although it must have been difficult.
  • TripleAce
    woah... I wasn't sure if you were serious at first...
    Im in shock that you went through that... I just can't even believe it... its kinda hard for me to even digest what you are telling us..

why would anyone do such a thing... why...
    did you happen to ever get answers?

--> Im glad you Made it though... if I was there, and if I didn't know you... just knowing you are fitness fanatic... I would of helped you 100% and usually its a toss up...
    • Thank you. I was in two minds about sharing my story, but i decided to.

• SirRexington
    This is the excuse someone needs to suggest that if you had a gun, this wouldn't have happened.

I don't want to politicize this, he was a monster and it's good he died. It is awfully hard to read this. Liam was a monster who should not have been released at all.
    • The sad thing is too, a protection order doesn't always protect the victim. The cop's hands are tied really. They're limited to what they can do to protect victims

• JustMyTake
    Liam sounds like a terrible men and, echoing what people said here, he will not be missed. The fact that you overcame that is truly incredible, and I wish you the best in life from here forwards!
  • Hidden_P
    In a way I’m sad Liam is dead. He deserved death but he also deserved eternal pain locked away and no escape.

I’m so happy you have overcome this
  • mishanw_1071
    ... this entire time reading i was muttering cusses... and i think im not okay... thank you for sharing your story, it means a lot, cuz i get it :/
    • You're welcome.πŸ’• I've been in two minds about sharing it, but I decided to , just in case I can help even one person somehow

I appreciate that πŸ’—

• GoodGuyBreakingBad
    Thank you for sharing this MyTake with us, sorry for your misfortune
    and Hope your life is Blessed in many ways. God Bless You !!!
  • vishna
    I'm so happy you're here today. Bless that couple for coming at the right time <3
    • Thank you πŸ’— I have met up with them and just couldn't thank them enough

• Vesuvius87
    Thank you for sharing your story and keep up the good work.
    • Thanks πŸ’•I was in two minds about sharing it, but decided to

• AbdKilani
    Wow 💕💕💕💕💕❀️❀️❀️
    I am really glad you are okay and alive
    You are strong indeed, may your path be filled with love and happiness
  • Letitgoogoo
    This broke my heart reading it , I'm so sorry you had to go through that. but hey , I'm glad you are now in a happier place in your life. You deserve love and happiness and you are very strong because you got through it and fought.
    So happy you are well and you overcame it💕
  • Hispanic-Cool-Guy
    Perfect example why being armed is a must. You never know what's around the next corner.

This world is literally full of people like your ex boyfriend, yet many stupid people think otherwise and like to believe earth is sweet heaven.
    • TripleAce

wrong... you don't need a gun for that.. and its a horrible idea for someone to be paranoid taking a gun for a jog... don't be ridiculous

pepper spray is 100% enough for that situation and would of worked perfectly...

• @TripleAce: Dude, quit with your stupidity and anti gun crap.

She was maybe 20 seconds away from being dead, and besides her individual case doesn't represent the reality many people are going to face today and tomorrow that will randomly or not be attacked with a knife or gun.

Wicked people have guns and knives and are waiting to attack the innocent for whatever case.

You speak all your hot trash and stupidity because you probably haven't had someone point a gun at you threaten to blow your head off or held a knife to your face as a threat.

The only violence you see is on TV networks watching movies.

Grow the hell up already.

• TripleAce

lol... having a gun pointed at me... its better to give him what he wants, then to pull out a gun and risk getting shot

in her case... she's happy to not fear for her life anymore... jogging with a gun is not getting over it... its living in paranoia... she lived her whole life and this only happened once because of some crazy ex... you don't need to run with a gun because of that... cmon be real man lol

bad idea dude

• Gopnik
    what a fucking bitch boy shit like this makes me want to stab these kinds of guys till they fucking it's sick.
    these kinds of guys are sickening fucks and i would gladly beat the fucking shit out of guys like these.
    this is why i have brass knuckles for if i ever encounter a sick fuck like that.
    i'm glad you've recovered i hope he never gets out of prison for shit like that.
  • monkeynutts
    Peace and love fitness-fanatic, your story will forever inspire others in life threatening situations to never give up.
  • That is a traumatizing event and I am so glad you are okay now. Hugs
  • NYCQuestions1976
    Wow. Sorry all that happened to you. Glad you were able to not only just survive, but fully move on and thrive. Awesome. 👍
  • Jjpayne
    That is such a great story! and I am glad you are still here with us!!! I am so happy that he now apart of your past and cannot harm you anymore! Thank God for that elder couple! It is amazing you are still here today and still blessing others with words and encouragement! Thank you for being strong and for being such a positive influence on gag!
  • yulbsari
    WOW! Incredible! You are a strong person who has been reborn from the ashes of terrible abuse...
    • Thanks!πŸ’• I had a lot of help and support that got me through it. Some people have no one

• pizzalovershouse
    So this all happened to you last year in December an now, you are finally better glad to hear
  • msg812
    oh what an effective story. I hope that kind of bad people never will be in your life again. you are not just a survivor. You are a warrior like you said, my friend. You are "Xena- the warrior princess" Do you know xena-the warrior princess? If you don't, this is for you :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxhDbNlUHlk
  • abundantlyrich
    Thanks for sharing, how long it take you to heal? i'm guessing a few years?
  • Moezan
    Good to hear you came out of this on top! Respect.

I remember a few years ago, a female friend of mine was raped by this dude from our school at a park. As soon as we found out, we found him and almost beat him to death. It took her a long time to recover from it, so I can understand where you're coming from.
  • Artifaction
    Glad you’re still with us and that you don’t need to worry any longer. Peace!
  • bubbatxman
    Wow, just wow! You are an amazing person to recover and move on from this!
  • SkipStop
    Cool story. You go to the gym at 6am? Why so early? I can barely get myself out of bed at 7am.
    Anyway, I strongly recommend taking martial arts. I'm serious. I used to get bullied in 4th and 5th grade. So my dad and I signed up for martial arts class at a private school. It was a lot of fun, made friends, gained strength and confidence. It's a sport. When it comes to fighting, it's not really about who is stronger. It's also about who has better skills. I got into more fights in 8th, 9th, 11th and 12th grade. Jerks in school. Even though a few of them were stronger than me, they could not beat my tricks and moves. I had no fear because I knew that I was betrer than them. And it's all thanks to martial arts. So find one and attend. You sound like an athletic girl so it would be a lot of fun too.
    Go out at night and have no fear no matter who you run into 💪
  • Omar5881
    Much respect and love to you I've been in need death experiences a lot lol from my friend dying besides me in military service to a bomb that was defused in the street I live in ~ middle East lol
    These experiences leave you stronger
  • andreasderjuengere
    Nice try. But it is not literature yet. You need to find a style that catches attention right from the start - and keeps it there.
  • Massageman
    Thank you for sharing. PTL for surviving your ordeal.
  • Marinepilot
    Karma did bite him in the ass. Fitness=Fanatic, he was an unmitigated
    asshole. I'm frankly surprised no one did the world a favor and killed him.
  • Davionnawhatup
    Wow I’m honestly speechless that’s cray but you were very lucky to survived it
  • Waffles731
    Things like this are one of several reasons i plan on getting a carry permit
  • hammeronfire
    im glad you survived and are good mentally physically and emotionally. i hope liam burns in hell
  • Wowgirl10q
    So glad you are still here with us very inspiring Miss
  • Alexalex92
    Nice to see you're okay and in good psychology. Besides the workout you do, learn a martial art!
  • Jquesi
    Thank GOD You are alive. :'-(
  • SuccessfulHornDog
    Wow, that's a hell of a story. Glad to hear you came out of it so well
  • sarahhcmarie
    oh my god, im so sorry..
    i'm glad you recovered
  • LegateLanius
    Wow. I'm glad you are okay now
  • Missthing1990
    Goodness glad u recovered
  • Dommer
    Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Pink2000
    Oh. My. God
  • LeaLee
    You are such a strong woman
  • VixenRach
    Wow, it's good you're okay now though.
  • LimitedBenefits
    Glad you're ok
  • TheUglyMan
    Get a gun
  • JustCallMeLeon
    You were lucky.