Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

Hey everyone. In honor of my sixteenth birthday passing by earlier this week, I've decided to write a take about some lessons I've learned throughout life. Obviously, I'm still young and have a lot to learn and experience, but this is my start. Some of them might be cliche, some of them aren't supposed to be taken seriously. But I've been wanting to write one of these for a while, and these are all things I had to learn. So let's get on with it.

1) Cherish then and now, but also embrace the future

I have to be honest here. When I woke up on my birthday, I cried. It hit me that my childhood is practically over and I'm on the path of becoming an adult. I missed believing anything was possible and just the simple innocence of being a kid. Then I realized that yes, while changes are hard to deal with, we can't be stuck in one place for the rest of our lives, that'd get boring after a while. So instead of being sad that those times are gone, I'm choosing to cherish the few happy childhood memories I have and move on to create equally as good memories for the future. Endings lead to great new beginnings, anyway.

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

2) It's okay to not be okay

This is something I've struggled with a lot over my life. While I'm not diagnosed, I've dealt with a lot of depression waves throughout the years. I used to tell myself and anyone around me who asked that I was fine. I was always fine. I had to be fine. Showing sadness, or asking for help was a sign of weakness, right? Wrong, actually. I used to deal with my sadness through very unhealthy coping methods until I realized being a human comes with having many emotions, and it's okay to ask for support when those emotions overwhelm you.

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

3) Blood isn't always thicker than water

I know people will disagree with me on this. I've heard the usual since a falling out with my mother happened. "But she's your mother!" "How could you cut her off?" "You'll regret that later!"

...please just don't. Just because you share the same DNA with someone doesn't make them incapable of being a toxic individual that you should distance yourself from. Trust me, I've tried to smooth things over, but there are some relationships you just can't mend. So why should I keep sacrificing my own happiness just because she's blood?

I shouldn't. This year, my own happiness is my priority, regardless of what people say to me.

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

4) Never try to feed a friendly looking seagull

Last year, I was in the parking lot of a grocery store. There happened to be a seagull walking near me. He looked hungry, so I threw him the end piece of a loaf of bread (Not like anyone eats that piece anyway)

Low and behold, either 10 or 15 seagulls come out of nowhere and bombard me. I threw a wad of bread on the ground and took off running for my life while a few of them continued to chase me.

Moral of the story is that seagulls are greedy little sh*ts and you should avoid them.

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

5) Regret is an unavoidable part of life

Everyone experiences regret at some point. Maybe a decision didn't pan out the way you wanted, but it still made you into the person you are today and formed your life out exactly as it is now, and if you're not happy with how that choice formed you, well, that brings me onto my next point...

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

6) It's important to take control of our own future

We, right now, are 100% responsible for our actions. Maybe we can't control the situation, but we can control how we react in it. When things go wrong, don't immediately point fingers, look for a way to make whatever went wrong go right. Easier said than done, I know. It's easy to blame others for our misfortune, but what good is that ever going to do us? Exactly, nothing. So take control.

7) It's always good to be open-minded.

This isn't something I agreed with when I was younger. Growing up in a conservative, Christian household, I was very closed-minded. Not saying all conservative households are close-minded, but I was. I couldn't put myself in other people's shoes, and see their viewpoints until these past couple of years. I learned that everybody has different views on things, and just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they're a bad person. I'm kinda ashamed I thought that way during my childhood, but it's in the past now, and I'm looking towards the future of seeing other views, and kindly agreeing to disagree if it comes down to it.

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

8 ) Don't conform to other people's perfect idea

Being a people pleaser, I only began following this one recently. Before, I wanted everyone to like me and would conform to different ideas which just grew to be exhausting. I never got everyone approval though since it simply isn't possible, and that's okay. I don't have to be everyone's perfect cup of tea. As long as my family, friends, and I like me, then that's enough for me to be content.

9) Life is always better with a cat

This is the last, but very important lesson I've learned.

Not gonna lie though, I'm really only including this so I can show off my cat.

Life Lessons I've Learned in 16 Years

ISN'T SHE PERFECT?!

Moving on then... it was really fun writing one of these. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. As I said before, some things might sound cliche but they're very true, at least to me.

Anyways, until next time, have a nice day/evening everyone. <3

1527

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• Cats are... meh. But you're on-point with the seagulls thing... those bastards are raw.

The blood thing is tough, sis. I guess people say "blood is thicker than water" because even though someone sucks at the time, they're always going to be a part of your life, even forty years from now when a lot of your friends aren't your friends any more. Your brother will always be your brother. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other because I'm sure you have your reasons; I'm just saying.

• And here's a comment I'll kindly agree to disagree with; cats rock.

I know she'll always be part of my life in one way or another since she's my mom, but that doesn't mean I have to associate myself with someone who makes me feel bad about myself just because she'll always be there. I get what you're saying though.

• Now that I can't disagree with. Practically every cat is an asshole tbh. I'm always covered in a nice layer of cat hair.

• I know. It's just too much for me.

• Happy Birthday! These are all very significant lessons. You have made a good start of the path to adulthood!

• I know what it's like to be ostracized from the family. Mine never liked me, my clothes, my music, my ability to defy what they wanted me to be. Also I remind them too much of my father.

They were always mean and abusive to my mother and once I got older enough to determine my own identity, I noticed their need for control and conformity. Well, me being me, didn't take too kindly to this as I've always been a rebel.

When me and Mom became homeless our family didn't help, they didn't seem to care and they said it was our fault. We spent the first few months alone until my grandma had to practically bribe my grandfather to let us stay with them. But the second we did, I noticed your horrible they were. Constantly shaming and yelling at my mom and subsequently, me.
    I left and moved in with friends, but it wasn't legal and once the landlord showed up and realized I was staying there, he kicked me out. My friend didn't like the landlord anyway and so we left and occupied a squat with a few others.

Eventually I returned to my grandparents and my mom, still witnessing the emotional abuse. I felt bad for leaving my mother all those months. One night my grandfather pushed my mother into the filing cabinet and that for me, meant war. I punched him in the face and he went to his room and grabbed his revolver. He told me and my mom to leave, pointing the gun at my head.
    We left, crying, the cop next door did nothing. Surprise, surprise...

We haven't spoken to our family since then. That was almost 2 years ago. So yes, blood is thicker than water but who the fuck drinks blood?

As for behind open minded, I can agree we should be tolerant to some extent. But at this point I have no patience for being very "open minded". Some things just should not be given a chance and need to be shut down.

I have many disabilities, emotional and mental. This has made me a frequent target of harassment and discrimination. I'm different and I'm proud. But I still face ignorant people.

• All but the last one. I don’t like my cat waking me up at 3am begging for food.

• Haha, understandable. My cat does the same but she's cute so it's easily forgivable.

• Wait until she’s done it a few years. The cuteness wears off.

• 5) Regret is an unavoidable part of life - BS, in 34 years I regret nothing.

And yeah, damned seagulls.

Good take.

• Thank you; that isn't true in my experience as practically everyone (myself included) around me holds some regret, but I'm glad you're living life regret free. :)

• No prob.
      The trick is to turn every possible regret into a learning lesson and do better next time.

• l love your take and your cat and you are very smart and please stay that way ❤

• Dogs are better; sometimes, it's good to be reserved and cautious at times because people are assholes. Plans always change so always have back up plans.

• Feed pidgeons though. They're chill. Seagulls can die.

• nice take , be happy about yourself and dont cause harm thats all.

• Yup, you are officially an adult now. Have the most fun possible socially while you can. I wish I could redo my entire childhood.

• One big thing that I still regret is not having spoken to my college crush the only time she ever approached me...

• You’re 16 years old. Shut up.

• Excuse me? These are just some basic lessons I've learned, what does my age have to do with it?

• No you don’t. Just stop.

• I don't have to stop. It's rude to come on my post and tell me to shut up because I don't know anything, if you don't like my post, then you don't have to stay on it.

• can i add one more to this awesome list?

• Go for it. :)

• Hmm how so?

• lets take one example to ease it up,

choose any situation you wanna choose (be it relationship or work or anything)

• I want a dog.

• Eh, dogs are also pretty great, so you do you ^^

• but my mom is allergic but I want someone or something :( I want a dog I can hug and play with :(

• Very good, especially #s 7 and 8.

• Lovely take - Very mature

• Growing up is sooo hard. :)

• My youngest is 23 - he called one day and said he was tired of being an adult already.

• very mature for your age.

• Interesting

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 15

• You seem like you are turning out like a nice individual. Sucks some of the hard things happen. But at least you seem to be growing stronger. 👌 also the seagull thing killed me. Damn straight true xD I fed a cracker to one and all of a sudden he decided to be a blabber mouth and bring the whole gang on me xD. !
    And the ending was flawless xD nice take!

• Right? Like I was just trying to be nice to the poor little bird, but they just have to ruin it xD

And thank you so much, I'm glad to hear you liked it! :)

• That bird could of had more for himself XD.
      No problem! Thanks for taking the time to write it 👌

• A great MyTake.

I think after I turn 16, I'll do something similar. I'm gonna feel so old when I'm 16 lol. It feels like yesterday when I was just 8 years old doing whatever my thing was back then. Now I'm 15, going 16 sitting my GCSE exams in May. How time flies.

• Thanks! you totally should, this was a lot of fun to write. :) and tell me about it. I was looking at colleges the other day and it hit me how old I suddenly was lol.

• Oh my goodness, same! A college came to our school today and presented an assesmbly to us on post-16 education. I'm so old.

• Loved this take! And haha number 4 made me laugh!
    I agree strongly with 1,2 , 7 and 8 .
    And haha I'm glad you showed off your cat because she is beautiful!

• I feel like the seagulls were an extended metaphor.

• Those are some great bits of advice. Especially the part about cutting off family thats toxic, i know that situation all too well unfortunately😞

• i think number 1 is perfect lesson , i ddnt cheerish my childhood and then i lost it and now am forced to grow up

• I agree with pretty much everything!

And lovely kitty ❤️

• hEr DeE DuRr U R SiXtEeN, YoU know NoTHiNg YoU ChILd xdddd

Jk good take

• You just stole a bunch of cheesy Instagram and tumblr quotes

• I don't have a tumblr and I haven't used instagram in months; these are all things that I've learned and wrote in my own words.

• Nice take, and very cute cat!

• Really good take, I like it 😊

• Good take

• Excellent!

• Well written, and I love the kit 💚

• Great mytake