Struggles I Go Through For Being Skinny

Hey hey hey!

So, I was just kind of thinking about all of these things today and decided that I'll post it...

Struggles I Go Through For Being Skinny

I think that a lot of people sort of assume that skinny people wouldn't have to go through much like bigger people do. But as a skinny person, that's very incorrect and I had to face constant mockings for my weight.

Note that I'm 5ft and 88 pounds which isn't that bad at all. I look very normal as well.

My doctors aren't bothered much by my weight and thankfully I don't have major health problems due to it.

Yes, it IS technicallly underweight (BMI of 16 while the healthy range is 18-24) but my doctor is happy with it at the moment.

1. Some people look at me weirdly because of it

I remember when my great grandmother saw me after a while we haven't met, she gave me really disgusted looks. I knew it was because of being skinny because she told my mom that I'm "way too" skinny and it's not normal. This thing happens with a lot of other people for me.

Like, one time, a girl in my class looked at my arm for a while and then she was like, "Wow look at how thin your arm is!! 😳😳"

2. Being called "anorexic"

I remember once I was walking down the street and a random lady called me anorexic out loud, infront of everyone.

That made me feel so ashamed, because my mental state is doing so well, especially compare to people who struggle with anorexia, and being compared to a person who's dealing with that mental illness is NOT something I'd want to be associated with.

I've been called like that quite few times before, and my own grandmother thought that because of how skinny I am I'm probably in a very bad mental state and starving myself.

3. Constant mockings for my weight

Sometimes I hear people saying stuff like, "look at how skinny she is...." as if it's super shocking and terrible. Like I have 3 extra arms.

I find it rude because they're not trying to even be discreet about it.

Even my own mom said to me once that I look like a Jew in a concentration camp. It wasn't even jokingly. It was kind of funny, but then I keep thinking she really thought that.

4. The jokes

I admit that I don't mind these jokes too much *from certain people* (like my father), but from others it's just rude. Like if they're not people who are even close to me.

Usually it's stuff like, "you should put rocks in your pockets so you don't fly in the wind!". Thanks dad, but even that doesn't work. I still fly in the wind.

"Gosh, I'm scared to hug you because I don't wanna break you." (From randoms) Oh feel free! I got used to breaking in half every two days.

"My little chicken quarter!" I love you too dad.

5. Random people thinking my diet is their business

"Do you even eat?" Do I live on air?

"You should eat more!" How on earth do you know how much I eat?

"You're not eating enough." "EAT!!!!!!!!" (People who are close to me enough and aren't annoying can tell me to eat, but if you're constantly gonna look at my plate and tell me to "EAT!!!!!!!!!!" I'm just not gonna be able to tolerate that).

6. Random people thinking my weight is their business

"You need to gain weight." Oh really? Hmm my doctor told me otherwise.

"You need to be thicker. You're too thin." Too thin? For who? The guys who enjoy looking at my body at the beach?

"How much do you even weight?" *sigh* 40kg.

"I think that's unhealthy/anorexic." Again, my doctor said otherwise.

7. Looking even younger than you actually are

Just like baby face, having a smaller frame (short + skinny) can make you look younger.

I've been mistaken for a 13 year old and I don't have that much of a baby face. I'm pretty sure it was because of my more petite frame. That sucks lol.

8. Seeing all these "curvy" Instagram models as a younger teen

I think these "curvy" women and all the mockings for my weight were the main reasons for why I was so uncomfortable in my own skin for years.

I haven't went to the beach/pool for 4 years because I was thinking I'm too skinny and that I'm super unattractive for wearing a bikini. This year I finally let go of that though.

But seeing all these women with big thighs and butt, just made me feel like I have to be thicker to be attractive. I kept trying to gain weight. I started working out a lot. (Then stopped because I used to lack motivation...lol). But the point was, I felt ashamed being skinny.

9. The body positivity movement isn't for you if you're skinny

Because you can't possibly be self conscious if you're skinny. (Have been told that personally). The body positivity movement is for bigger people, because, skinny was considered the most attractive for ages, so, who needs to promote skinny bodies as beautiful too?

Usually I never see skinny bodies when it comes to "all bodies are beautiful!"

And when the people who are all about that "positivity" want to make a bigger person feel good about themselves, they'd try and drag down skinny women. By saying things like, "skinny is so boring. I know how to eat instead of ordering a salad 🙄" or "real women have curves!" (When reffering to "curvy" women only).

First, skinny =/= curveless! Everyone has some sorts of curves. Also, you can still be a hourglass figure and not be "thick".

My body measurements are literally 31-22-31 (31/30) which counts as a hourglass figure, but it's still a thin one, due to being 88 pounds. And even if you're, say, 28-25-29 which is more straight down, you'll still have some sort of a curve.

Anyways!

I'm pretty much done here lol. I hope my writing was good enough and please let me know what I could improve in! I want to become an editor on here 🙂

3566
pitzi is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• I relate to this 100% except it will be a guy version of it. I am naturally skinny. I lose weight easily. However I forced myself to gain weight because I hated being skinny and looking weak. I gained a lot of weight and I am at a normal bmi.

It took me a long time to gain weight because i did it the natural healthy way by lifting weights and eating a ton of healthy food. Occasionally have a cheat day but those weren't too often.

A guy being skinny is like a little bitch. Dudes make fun of you and you should basically be ashamed of being alive. Especially we need to have this macho appearance so skinny doesn't cut it.

I was extremely self conscious and every person who went out of their way to put me down or imply shit or make me feel bad just made me hate myself and hate being skinny.

I had people ask if I was anorexic too and even told me to eat more. I got bullied in high school for being a toothpick so much that if anyone mentioned my weight, even in a casual way, I would instantly hate them and they would become my enemy. Without that person even knowing that.

Around that time I started working out so I was already hard on myself. I was really healthy back then and nothing was wrong with me. I wasn't starving myself and I could probably run a marathon, that's how healthy I was.

I say was because when you weigh more you feel more heavy and when you are skinny you are so lightweight that nothing is holding you back. Like going up and down stairs, you feel how heavy you are. But when you are skinny you can basically fly up those stairs.

Even though I gained all this weight I can still easily lose it. If I eat below 2000 calories I'll defiantly will lose 2 pounds a week maybe more. So I usually eat 2500 calories just to maintain my weight. With a fast metabolism you need to eat more.

With lifting and eating, most people create a eating disorder. I created one. It's called bigeroxia. It's when you aren't big enough and you always see yourself as skinny when you aren't. My eating disorder was worrying about eating. I always ate and feared about losing weight. I used to eat 4000 calories every day in the past.

If you are wondering, yes it was hard to eat that much all the time. I was always eating giant plates of food. With my mentality I thought no one could say shit that I was anorexic or bulimic or whatever if i was eating mad food, more than them and gaining weight.

In the end... I understand you. Only gain weight if you want to.

• Stay beautiful @pitzi. Fuck all the noise. ;)

Most Helpful Girls

• This used to be the same for me, and my doctor said I'm fine with being tall. If he had concerns about my weight etc, he would have told me there and then on how I could change it.

Few years later thanks to all the bullying and genes from my family... I now suffer with mental illnesses which I'm on meds for. I gained weight with being stuck indoors and just constantly ate due to feeling down about how I don't look like the models on instgram/pinterest.

I'm going to now get myself in shape and MAKE myself look like what makes me happy and feel good.

Good luck, and just be yourself. Long as you're doing you, happy, and that your doctor says you're alright for now... then good. xx

Stay strong.

• Thank you! Best wishes to you and I hope you succeed in getting in better shape!

• The funny thing is... now I've gained weight like they wanted (family included) they still call me names. There is just no pleasing anyone unless you're "perfect". Perfect doesn't exist.

• thank you for the MHG.

• I'm not skinny , and people make fun of my body and tell me my boobs look disgusting and gross.
    Thing is , people will ALWAYS hate. If you were a normal weight , they'd make fun of you. If you were overweight , people would make fun of you. If you had nice hair , people would find something about it to make fun of you.
    Some people are jealous. Some people are just assholes. Some people project their insecurities to make you feel had so they can feel superior.
    You shouldn't be insecure. You are a pretty girl and skinny or not you are a sweetheart and a good person.
    Say fuck it to those assholes and try to build your confidence so the next time someone makes fun of you , stand up for yourself and shake it off.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 64

• Like I said before your body naturally wants to be skinny and that's okay. That's your body type. I relate. I wear about a 30 in or maybe a little bigger pant size (I guess 76 cm) and often can't buy many clothes or underwear at stores like costco, especially if it's waist related.

Of course, I'd really doubt your doctor would think your weight is bad with a small figure, especially at only being 16.

Regarding looks, having a small frame and being skinny or thin (I think people have different views of these words) is the most attractive physical thing. I'm not really attracted to thick girls or even curvy nearly as much. They just don't often do much for me. That's hard to describe with words, but I generally find thinner more attractive. Lots of guys are like me and prefer small girls. Regarding arms, I find thin arms really attractive while finding stock off putting. My first thought is I bet most of these girls comment because they are really jealous. They can't have your figure regardless of how well they diet. They often HATE girls that are naturally thin.

I know the feeling of being insecure. I didn't think about looks much because I did pretty well with girls, but I always thought girls wanted huge muscle men. It's what movies and music videos taught me. I started working out to try to look like them, but that just wasn't what my body wanted to do. I got super strong, stronger than much bigger looking guys, but my body didn't balloon.

• Aww, I feel bad for you after reading );

People need to mind their own dang business and stop making others feel bad, even if they're skinny or not. I am kinda skinny myself but since I'm introverted, my dad is usually the one who always busts on me🙄 lol.
    Hey, God gave me a fast metabolism system, so just stop judging me for it already!

• Eat more, exercise more and you will look athletic, most people dont understand that skinny people have way more chance to look athletic/aesthetic and fat people have more chance to look bulky/strong.
    If you exercise correctly and eat correctly from "skinny" you can build up muscle and stay with "low bodyfat" and you will look really good.

But for girls it doesn't matter, if she is skinny, personally i dont prefer fat but for average/skinny girl its fine i guess? lol

• My best help: everytime someone mock you for being skinny mock them with a fact like: "ahahah you have 2 eyes ahaha" facts can't hurts if you accept it as normal. You know you are skinny right? So no one can hurt you because of you being skinny, just show to them that you know better you than them and show them how they are ridiculous as mocking someone because they have 2 eyes.

• This is actually very good. I will use it for people letting me know I'm tall. I will let them know they're human.

• Really good point. I'll use this in the future if someone decides to be a random bitch to me 😂 thank you

• I'm familiar with all that. I was skinny when I was growing up, and people would always comment. It made me feel like I was a freak or something. What's worse was, my biggest critic was my own mother, and she was fat as a cow.

• I've been super skinny my entire life, then I got off my medicine, gained a few pounds, still looked super skinny, got the name "albino African child" from my brother, anyways now that i'm older my metabolism is slowing and i'm up to 140 or so, actually feels good to be able to outweigh someone in a fight or something. Just hope i don't end up looking like my brother, I wanna be in heavier but in shape.

• Struggles I Go Through For Being Skinny
    "You look like a skeleton!"

• Sorry to hear that you've experienced. I've been skinny shamed a bit myself, so you definitely have my sympathy and I agree completely with the points you made in this Take.

• Yea, i feel you, growing up i was always on the fit side, but for a few years now i stopped doing sports and i gained some weight, which i lost recently thankfully. Now i'm a "skinny" boi and i eat differently, it's harder to gain weight. So i'm a bit sad, but i have to get in shape again, it'll worth it. Nothing against skinny tho, but i don't like how skinny i look now compared to years ago.

• ALL BODIES ARE BEAUTIFUL!*
    *terms+conditions may apply

lol Nice pic.
    Anyways, good take. It’s sad that we all suffer regarding our bodies in some way or another no matter how they look. :/

• Everybody gets fat when they get older, everybody. So just enjoy it now.

• Not 99% of my family lol

• I know that you're a liar.

• Lmao okay you're probably just joking at this point then

• Oh how I wish I could change places, all my life I have been bigger than I should according to the dredded BMI. As I have got older the weight id just coming on. I excersise and have a controlled diet which is about 1500 cals a day, for a normal male is 2500 ,, but it is still not loosing the weight. So I can understand your plight …...

• Good take. Keep it up!
    You really should stop caring what people think about you.

• Good job. Couldn't read all of it but I like what I read. You're honest?

• I have very skinny legs and skinny arms but I have a belly so I am picked on a lot over my body shape. I would rather be fatter all over so at least my body would be in the right proportion.

• You know there's always negative comments people give us no matter what we look like and people who shame about looks are just insecure about about how they look. It's up to us how we tolerate that.

• Ew boy... another victim. Consider just not looking at yourself as a victim with everything. Practice outcome independence - do put so much stock in what random people have to say - do what you do for YOU.

• I'm not victimizing myself lol please don't take me THAT seriously

• iam a 215lb guy and get bashed a lot but i dont let them get to me yea it can hurt depending how its worded but it would ultimately be how do you feel in your own body iam far from perfect yet i get a lot of people telling me that iam to nice or that iam wayy to quiet but iam somewhat happy with what i have i enjoy the little things in life i get a kick out of making people mad when i do something that they thought i could not do

• DON'T SLUT SHAME ME!! IT WAS A COMPLIMENT!!!
    3:42
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0D1PpgCXs

• You've heard more platitudes than I could ever come up with,
    My East Asian wife deplaned here at 5'1" and 96 pounds. I feel like I'm cheating fate every day.

• I remember reading a quote from bad Facebook meme. It was a woman who was very um... Pardon the phrasing...

**T H I C C**

And she had quote on the surface of her picture that said "Bones are for dogs, meats are for men."

It was the most sexist thing I've ever seen, and what's worse is that it's women pinning themselves against each other, like it's a competition, and they have to insult other women to feel good about having a few extra pounds.

It makes me feel sorry for the state that our country, nah, our planet still tries to make women feel like they have to prove something about their body type in order to put other women down.

It sucks.

• Coincidentally, about two hours ago I was at lunch and saw an absolutely beautiful girl who was skinny as a rail. Way too young for me, true.

• Excellent take - Once you are healthy and your doctor is happy, all is good

• Being skinny is as dangerous as being fat , your brain cells are fat cells , being very skinny can damage brain nerves and cells because they consist mainly of fats, you shouldn't have fat percentage below %7 or you would start losing your brain.

• Being a skinny guy, I can totally relate to the joking part and and mistaken age lol.
    I remember I was in 8th standard and someone thought that I was in 5th. He didn’t believe it when I told him that I was in 8th lol.
    Coming back to the “skinnh people jokes”, I often listen these from my friends😂 -
    > Put some coins in your pocket or you’ll fly off with the wind
    > I’d slap you off and you’ll land somewhere else
    > You’re gonna stay the same- Like a wooden stick
    Etc etc

But guess what? Being fat is worse than being skinny. And and the most amazing thing is that “fat people jokes” exist too 😂

• Yeah you have to love yourself, maybe not be so hard in yourself if you are not happy with some of your physical features. Be realistic, and work hard.

• I've had these problems too.
    People telling me i need to eat more. I would if i could. Can't. I didn't have any money back then. They could have donated their meal to me and i would gladly swallow it down in a few minutes.
    Then my mother always complained how skinny i am and how my body never gains any weight.
    My father taunted at me by calling me a bag of bones often, then complains why i can't live up to his insane and heroic expectations when it comes to manual labor and why I'm always so weak.

This hell ended as soon as i got a job finally. Then i became the one, who feeds myself. Now I'm the one, who eats the most in the company, that i work in. I feel my body wants compensation.
    I keep eating now and I'm not stopping at anything.

• It's just jealousy pal, most people wish they could have your body type and eat whatever they want without worrying about gaining weight. I have guy friends with your body type who want to gain weight but can't due to their high metabolism meaning the amount they'd have to eat to gain and maintain the muscle would be absurd.

I used to weight 245lb and then dropped down to 156lb. But was told be my fat friends that I looked sick because I was lean af (with muscle though not skinny). They used to try to take me to places with unhealthy food to balloon me back up.

Might be wrong here but I think the key thing to take away from this is that everyone wants what they can't have and dislike those who have it.

• All this catty, one-up, tit-for-tat crap is annoying. Just ignore it, you're beautiful as you are.

• Just give it some time, you're still pretty young. And don't force yourself for anyone.

• Show more from Guys
    34

What Girls Said 33

• When we see someone outside that is out of the "normal " as we define it , we start gossiping about that person. skinny chubby tall short it doesn't matter. What matters is for you to be happy and healthy. If you are happy skinny be skinny. If you are happy chubby be chubby. It's your choice and your life

• Oh don't forget how being skinny can cause you to get sick easier. I often had to deal with people thinking I was bulimic just because I was always getting sick. I still get sick easily and turns out all the random ass vomiting I dealt with for years was actually gerd.

• i relate to that soooo much... sometimes people think that i don't eat because I'm obsessed with being skinny when I'm just not hungry... i used to get very upset about that... i tried gaining weight but it didn't work... i came. to a point where i love my body now... i just started accepting my body the way it is... and what people think about it just don't matter anymore and i make sure that they see how unimportant their opinion is to me

• I wish I could upvote this take a thousand times. I'm sick of being called the 'walking stick' and people feeling the need to confront me about being anorexic when I'm clearly not. Great take!

• I totally agree

Before I got prego last year, my weight ran 93#s to 120#s

TBH the only thing I hated about being skinny is having tiny A cup boobs and my hipbones sticking out.

Guys at the beach would try to look down my bikini bridge and see my pubes!

• This is painful to read because Im crying, I can feel your pain.. I hope your pain is filled with joy instead. This take is good to promote awareness for everyone and including your parents to not to judge you or anyone by their looks and size. Have you made them read this take?

• I know how you feel!
    My favorite is probably the "You need to eat more!" People.
    Like, oh hun, dont worry I'll eat my three burgers and then I'll eat yours too.

I've always been the smallest of my friends and they never let me forget it. It's gotten to the point that I dont even hang out with that group anymore.

• Jesus Christ, calling a stranger anorexic isn't even okay, when that person is actually anorexic. What the hell is wrong with people?

Anyway, good take. Very relateble

• I have a good friend who is hyperthyroid, and meds don’t seem to work for him. We’ve talked at length about it, and I know he’s fed up that he can’t seem to gain weight no matter what he does.

• Ya I agree I am 5’5 and 107 pounds and I am always getting made fun of for looking like a boy or I am made out of skin and bones so don’t touch her she will break it is so anyoying and I hate it thanks for this is loved this my take

• The struggle is real! I know exactly how you feel girl :(

• 10. It hurts to sit for a long time or on hard surfaces.

• Okay but have you ever been kicked out of a gym for being too skinny? It's very fun, especially when they come to you in front of everyone there and take you aside to' have a talk'...

• No but I wasn't allowed to enter a gym for being too skinny.

• Same, but I don't care, I have bigger problems that keep my mind occupied.

• Just letting this info down here, I think skinny people need to read this even though I myself am quite fit, neither skinny nor fat.

In the modelling industry they often use heavily underweight and underaged mods for photoshoot but when they edit their pictures, the 'bony-ness' is decreased by editing and the sharp angular parts are softened. And of course, the boobs are made a bit bigger.

I think this is the major reason why, despite models being very skinny, skinny women around the world are still shamed or they still feel insecure seeing the models. So it literally shows an unrealistic image to everyone.

• Great mytake lol

• Girl just eat

• I hope you're kidding.

• She literally said she’ll sit on her phone and forget to eat

• Some people have lower appetites. Appetite is why we are driven to eat. It's no different than eating when hungry. People don't want to eat when they feel full. "Just eat" is like saying to, "Just don't eat when you're starving." No one tells fat people to just not eat.

• Nice take

• People are jerks.

• Good take

• That sucks

• Interesting take.

• Interesting.

• Nicely done

• That feeling when fat people laugh at you for being too skinny :P

Struggles I Go Through For Being Skinny

😜😂🤣

• You're too young to be worrying about this.

• If you’re 16, do not worry about it one bit much. Towards 20 years old, everyone starts gaining a little weight and at the time you’ll realize it wasn’t such a bad thing to be on the skinny side in your teens.
    That aside, don’t worry about that, it’s not going to change anything in your life.

• I laughed … you're struggling cause people think you're 13 when you're 16. I'm 22 and people asked me: are you 12 years or older?

The only two struggle's I really have with being skinny is gaining weight and being seen as a 12 y/o when I'm 22. I'm trying my best to gain weight and I work out with weighlifting. But somehow I only very slowly gain weight.

On the other hand I try to see both as positive. When I'm 50, I hope many people will ask me if I'm over 40. And then I can be like: I'm 50 ^^. The weight thing, same shit. There are girls crying that they are overweight. So I guess I can say I'm blessed that I can't gain too much weight.

• Ah, I wasn't completely serious about that. It doesn't bother me that much like the other things and that should be quite obvious

• I don't see how you're crying about being skinny in the first place. There are bigger problems than you being skinny or not. While you cry for being skinny, there are more women crying cause they are overweight or underweight. And then even that isn't something that is a huge issue.

So while you be bothered with how skinny you are and how other's view you. There are children who are suffering from much bigger problems.

• What? I'm not crying about anything. You take what I wrote way too seriously. All I was trying to show is that, skinny people face problems too. It's not only bigger people that do. I wasn't being like "oh I'm so poor please pity me 😢😢😢😢"

• Personally as a thicker people, people do need to mind their own business but usually it's all in good spirit, I'm 5'10 and thick so I'm a pretty big person and if I say "oh man you're just a stick" it's always going to be in a joking manner to make light of our differences, you can go getting offended Everytime someone says something about you being skinny, if you're unhappy- change- if you're happy stay how you are, no need getting all upset when someone in good humor states the obvious, when people ask me what's it like up here I laugh because I'm okay with how tall I am and you just gotta learn to own it. You are who you are. Don't get upset, if it does really bother you call them out on it.

• When my BMI was 16 my doctor was concerned because it is underweight generally (i. e. for most women, unless they are naturally very thin and cannot gain weight easily).

I now have a BMI of 18 or 19 and I look a lot better.

• Yeah for me it's very different because I used to be even skinnier so now compared to back then my doctor is very happy with me

• Show more from Girls
    3