Walking In A Winter Wonderland

After driving 5.5 hours home from work last night in a blizzard, I decide to take a morning walk on my wonderful snow day today. I took some pictures on my walk and wanted to share them with people who don't have snow or are otherwise incapable of taking a walk in the snow to snap their own pictures of it

And thank you again to the half a dozen men and women who stopped on the side of the road to ask me if I needed a ride anywhere

My front porch early this morning
My front porch early this morning

I snapped this picture around 6 AM because I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep. My front porch is beautiful in all seasons due to the massive trees lining the side of my apartment complex. This one is my favorite that I took this morning because of the lamp glowing and reflecting off the branches

This grass was my favorite image while walking

One of the other complexes in my neighborhood has a little gate with this spiky grassy bush. Their landlord hired someone who did a decent job at paving their driveway (mine was treated, but there is room for improvement). You can see Taco Bell is also closed in the background

A prime example of the standard scenery
A prime example of the standard scenery

Most of the road looked like this. Since this one runs past a hospital it was treated and plowed. Most of the scenery was pretty dull, grey, white, and muddy, but there were some pops of yellow. I also took a close-up of this tree on my way back

I liked the twisted branches and the grass

I didn't check the temperature outside, but I know it was freezing because the snow never stopped. Two pairs of socks, Thinsulate gloves, snow boots, a pair of plush leggings bundled under water-resistant pants, a wool sweater, and down snow coat kept me warm. At a certain point I turned back because the snow started melting through, but overall I was pretty warm with trecking a decent pace

Yellow lines in the middle of the road (and my left shoe)

Due to the several inches dumped overnight, I couldn't find the sidewalk, so I walked on the road. On the side street, I walked straight up the middle or the turn lane so cars could pass me on either side. Once I hit the main road, I jumped off to the side to avoid being sloshed with slush when cars whizzed past

Part of my neighbor's house
Part of my neighbor's house

Something about the trees lined up in this one make me laugh because they look like dancing gingerbread men. Way in the back is a McDonald's that closed down last night due to the storm. My neighbor works there, and she was told they may be closed through Sunday

The only tree with colored leaves left
The only tree with colored leaves left

Wish I had a better picture of this one, but I had to stand in the middle of the road to take it. The orange leaves were beautiful against the white and grey background. It was the only tree I passed that still had colored leaves on it

A tiny bridge with caution signs
A tiny bridge with caution signs

Last night I avoided this bridge driving home. It's only about 10 feet long, but it ices over Real slick and is at the bottom of a steep hill with a sharp turn. Part of me wishes I had a sled to slide up and down it

So many lonely fire hydrants
So many lonely fire hydrants

Everything was closed along the road to the hospital, even the Urgent Care facility. Most businesses paid to have their parking lots plowed, but there were few cars in the parking lots. I know we called all of our patients yesterday to let them know we would be closed today, so I assume most businesses did so as well

Here I was able to walk through thinner snow

Part of the road was plowed in the middle of the night, but the snow never stopped coming down, so it piled back up. I was able to walk through part of the snow on the main road because it was more shallow, but I couldn't find the sidewalk. Here are some of my little foot prints. (And it turns out trudging through snow is amazing for your glutes)

Standard intersection covered in slush
Standard intersection covered in slush

Most of the intersections were covered in slush. About a dozen or so cars were stalled in intersections like this last night, so it's good to see most of them shoveled their way out. I'm glad I didn't get stuck in one because my little car is terrible on snow

Miles of snow in all directions
Miles of snow in all directions

As I climbed through mountains of snow and dodged cars on the main road, I saw piles of snow in all directions. It really did look like someone laid a blanket over everything overnight. Last time I saw this much snow was 10 years ago

Walking backwards down the turn lane
Walking backwards down the turn lane

Snow plows came through the neighborhood last night. They are usually pretty good about clearing the main roads for people who have to drive. I'm just glad I quit my old job so I actually get to stay home and enjoy the snow today. Walking on the road wasn't too bad, just a bit soggy

This is my cat Puppy
This is my cat Puppy

When I stomped back through my front door, this little guy was waiting for me. He is so glad I'm snowed in because now he gets to spend the whole weekend with me, and I'm glad I have someone to warm me back up after a nice stroll in my winter wonderland

1919

Most Helpful Girls

• Very nice pics. It’s great to feel the cold air touching your body while you’re admiring the landscape. I’m so sorry to read about your cat. Fortunately you could be with him for the weekend giving him your love.

• Aw thank you. He has been so happy this weekend and is even purring again. He is snore/purring right now and its it's adorable

• I really think so. They become part of our families and give us all their love in an unconditional way.

• Wow thanks for MHG and hope your cat is herring better.

• Wow nice. Where are you located? I Have winter pictures as well.

• I'm in the midwest

Beautiful. The early morning is the best time to take pictures because nobody has walked through the snow yet

Most Helpful Guys

• Its crazy how the snow hit us like that... You pictures were FANTASIC!! They were so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us!!

• So beautiful from inside :D
    I guess Puppy will find a warm spot in from of the heater, cats know how life works :D :D

• Haha he will burrow himself underneath all the blankets on my bed if he is cold. Sometimes I won't see him there and I'll accidentally crush him. Silly boy

Join the discussion

1717
  • Love this MyTake. I live in California, so I've only experience snow twice that were maybe just half an inch.

P. S. adorable kitty

• I much prefer half an inch to this. I can't go anywhere in a foot of snow and everything is closed. 3-4 inches is my favorite amount

Thanks. He is the sweetest cat I've ever had. He is almost 16 and unfortunately dying of a throat tumor. All he wants right now is to cuddle and sit on my lap

• Aw, I'm sorry about Puppy. ): My chihuahua is almost 17, but still hobbling around, although she's deaf now. Her brother passed away last year, but we got three puppies (meant to just get one, lol).

I personally love the cold, which is ironic that I live in California. At least it's raining for now.

I hope the best for Puppy!

• He says thank you. He has such a good life that he's not ready to go yet, but I'll take him in if he tells me best in too much pain. So far the medicine has made him feel better

Aaaw old chihuahuas are adorable, especially if they get a little pudgy

• Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing, now you must stsy inside to be warm and hapoy some fun time and eat something delicious...

I love such weather for a lot of reasons only if i was married and i think thay housewives adores such weather 😄

• The pictures are great. I find it strange thing about snow , its so terrible when you want to get somewhere or to get home. But people love to play in the same stuff that has caused them so much stress. Like the school closes because of the snow, but the kids and teachers go out and play in it …...

• Thank God you Safe at Home with Puppy.
    Been there and Done That with a Cat with Snow but Now... North Carolina. xxoo

• So glad it has barely snowed here in Minnesota! But our snowy months are yet to come :(

• You can't even start to imagine how jealous I am now.

• Lol it snowed another couple inches yesterday and overnight. My boss gave me tomorrow off too so I don't have to drive in it. Basically I'm getting a 3 day weekend because of this foot of snow

• Its very alien to me, the idea of businesses being closed, loss of income. Crazy. Nice pictures.

• Lol yeah. We don't get snow a lot, so we had to close because we got a foot this time. We closed once last month because we had about 4 inches. We have a lot of old patients and my boss and I drive an hour to get there, so we close for everyone's safety

My neighbor drives a charger and he kept spinning his tires just trying to get put of the parking lot. He joked his next car will be a truck for weather like this

Thank you

• I guess if its one day a month that's not too bad, you would not want to be living on a tight budget though.

• Well I am and I'm not getting paid, so that does suck. But I'd rather be home safe and unpaid than have to drive in weather like this. My car is shit on snow and ice. My boss gave me Monday off this week so I don't have to drive in it tomorrow either

• Thanks for sharing your MyTake with us , very well written yes
    Winter months are amazing but the snow can really hammer us
    good. Yes the pictures look really good thanks for sharing them
    with us :)

• your pics look amazing, I like the snow, looks lovely to look at though i bet it is absolute freezing where u are.

• Awesome pics!
    I love snow when its snowing and 1st day its clean and on the ground

• Beautiful photos and very nice story, great Take 😎👍

• Happiness comes from the inside! This was very thoughtful of you.

• Fabulous photos, making me shiver just looking at them.

• Beautiful and coming home to a nice warm shower to warm up would be amazing.

• Ahhh I wish it snows here... It's cool!! I'm so hot right now lol.

• Fantastic take its snowing in scotland as well very cold

• Walkin' `round in women's underwear

• Lovely pictures, we are due to have snow tonight

• It's beautiful

• And the cat is just as awesome

• Ohhhh noooo... im so sorry

• Thanks. He's had a really good life and he's happy. he's not ready to go yet, but I've prepared myself for it. I read online that cats usually only live about 3 months with his diagnosis, but he's had it since August. His medicine is helping

• #3&4 are your "money shots".

• Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

• No sarcasm this time. (I've done graphics and photography for 50+ years). 3 + 4 look like the same tree. #4 is best of the bunch, and might even be still better if the shot made the trunk of the tree a little more off center. #7 (last of the colored leaves) could be made into a great vertical shot if 1/3 of right side were cropped just to the edge of that fence post, again so that the tree trunk and limbs "frame" the shot.

• Oh thank you! I've never done any professional photography, just like taking pictures

• Love the cat

• Magical ⛄

• Looks like my area good take

• I love the snow 😊

• Woow

• Great pictures

• We got over a foot here in Ohio this weekend.

• Nice pictures
    Love snowy landscapes

• Your kitty is so adorable

• Good myTake

• that’s a nice story

• Great piccies

• Nice photos :)

• This was beautiful. Thanks for posting the pictures for us to enjoy. DO you know what kind of trees those are?

• Deciduous? Lol nope. I know there's a lot of oak trees out here and I think there are some maples, but I'm no botanist

• Yes, deciduous. :)