Pouring Over Rain Facts You Probably Never Knew

The majority of us grew up at some point learning about the water cycle in our educational institution.

Ah, yes! The classic process of evaporation and condensation can easily be recalled from our memory... hopefully. Let's dive into our main focus of today, which is PRECIPITATION!

Specifically, the droplets of water that sprinkles or drums down from our atmosphere- rain. BUT WAIT? Is it actually the droplet shape that we usually associate rain with? That'll move us onto your first fact!

1. Raindrops are shaped like hamburger buns

Yup! That's right. Most people envision falling raindrops as the familiar teardrop shape, but the real hamburger shaped bun has no resemblance to a teardrop due to external pressure and aerodynamic forces when falling through the atmosphere.

How A Raindrop Actually Looks
How A Raindrop Actually Looks

2. "Phantom Rain"

This is the type of rain that is a natural phenomenon that usually occurs in hot and dry climates in which rain evaporates before it reaches the ground. You can see it pouring down from the sky, however, the ground does not seem to become visibly wet.

3. Raining cats and dogs? Nope, more like raining fish!

Let's just hope that it won't ever rain spiders, okay? Marine animals such as fish can be sucked up from the ocean by a waterspout during a storm. The winds are so strong they are able to carry aquatic animals miles inland, but let's hope that town isn't yours. Unless you live in a small town named Yoro, located in Honduras that experiences Lluvia de Peces.

Known as the Lluvia de Peces or “Rain of Fish,” it is said to occur at least once and sometimes twice in a year in the small town of Yoro: during a massive rain storm, hundreds of small silver fish supposedly rain from the sky onto the streets of the small town.

4. Artificial Rain

Proceeding on with technological advancement, artificial rain is now possible in the 21st century. Particles of dry ice tossed from the plane specifically to the cumulus cloud. In a cloud, carbon dioxide is wrapped with water and falls as a snowflake, heating on the way and transforming into Rain. This could be beneficial for areas with droughts.

5. The desert isn't the least rainy place on Earth

In fact, Antartica holds the record for lowest annual rainfall by far. With only 6.5 inches of rainfall or snow per year. In addition, an area named the Dry Valley located in Antartica has had no visible rainfall in approximately 2 million years! We would have thought the Atacama Desert could beat that.

Thanks for making it to the end of my first myTake!

99

Most Helpful Guys

• Definitely an enjoyable read 😁 I love learning about the cosmos but that curiosity started with my love for the weather. At certain times if I am awake the smell of dew in the morning and a lovely sunrise makes you think about how beautiful our planet is compared to the rest of the solar system. Imagine it raining sulfur like in Venus even if we could survive the heat and gases , there would be constant fires every we would try to build a civilization. Makes me wonder if Scientists are taking Venus as a challenge as way as far as space exploration

• Wow, very thought-provoking! I also love waking up to the said of light rain on an overcast morning! It's like music to my ears

• Thank you very much and not just for mho. Do you go for walks in the rain 🙂

• Great take , living in the UK , we get plenty of rain , last year we had an exceptionally dry and hot summer though. We are on the path of the Gulf Stream , giving us mild winters considering I live 53 degrees north , but a lot of cloud and rain... very unpredictable weather at times.

• Thanks for MHO , don't mind rain , ex British Army so have handled all weathers here and abroad... but hate umbrellas with dozy , dipshit owners !!

Join the discussion

97
  • Imagine the massive reduction in the local fish markets xD

• I swear if it starts raining fish, I’m gonna freak the hell out. Great to read though.

• Interesting facts. Thank you for your first myTake! :- )

• Excellent read, i personally hate the rain lol but an excellent read and interesting

• And I'm already bored. Thanks for that highschool flashback

• Thank you for this interesting myTake and congratulations on the subject which is a welcome change to all those sex questions.

Another type of rain that comes to my mind is the man made rain for the purpose of preventing damage to crops from hail.

Usually, flares containing silver iodide is flown close to the hail clouds (cumulus) where, in short, the reaction to the silver iodide would substantially reduce the size of the hail in such an extend that they don't cause so much damage to the crops.

• Nice take

• Good take

• Since you said good I need to drastically improve my writing to make it GREAT! Thank you!

• Thank you for this great information!

• interesting read, thanks for sharing today!

• Where I live, it always rain water.

• It's raining right now.

• Nice take! Learned some new stuff. Thanks!

• Informative myTake

• Educational and good myTake

• Love myTakes like this, interesting and informational :)