Boyfriend shaved beard, I hate it?

My boyfriend doesn't have a very big beard. But it was just getting a little bushy and he goes and "accidentally" shaves it. The problem is that he doesn't look good without a beard. When we met he had some beard and that's all I'm used to. We made an agreement that he wouldn't shave his beard if I didn't get a piercing on my gentitals.

When I saw his lack of beard I started crying, I know that sounds horrible but I was disappointed and shocked to see it. What should I do? I don't want him to shave his beard again.

For anyone who says this is superficial: Get a grip. He wouldn't like it if I shaved my head, or my eyebrows, or plucked all my eyelashes out. I think couples should be able to keep certain aspects of their appearance the way their partner likes, to a certain degree.

510

Most Helpful Guy

• I get it. I would be upset if my girl cut her hair short. It may have been that he really did accidentally shaved too much and it looked terrible, and thought it would be better to start all over. As long as he is planning to grow it back, I would just consider it an accident. Sometimes life throws us curve balls, and we just have to deal with it. Other times life throws our partners curve balls and we have to deal with it as well.

He might have not realized it meant that much to you, and done it on purpose, but I would still try and give him the benefit of the doubt, as long as he grows it back to make you happy.

If he keeps shaving despite what you want, then you will have to decide whether or not you still want to date him. He is allowed to do whatever he wants with his body, but that is a two way street, and you don't have to remain with a guy that isn't willing to put in the upkeep to make himself attractive to you.

• Wow, you have read my mind. I feel that way exactly! It IS his body and he can do whatever he wants, but it is a two way street and I agreed to not get the piercing if he didn't shave his beard. I was willing to make an effort.

• I'm in this EXACT same boat. I've been dating my boyfriend for about 4 months, when I met him he had a little bit of a beard, more of a scruff, first time he shaved it my throat sank into my stomach and I went quiet, didn't know what to say or do. He's shaved it maybe 3 times since we've been dating, he knows I don't like it, but he doesn't know that I'm not attracted to him without it. I'd say with a beard my attraction level is a 9, without... maybe a 4? I don't know how to tell him this, it feels like such a mean thing to say, or if I even should tell him. I know it's a problem, I just don't know what to do about it and how to approach it. How did you tell your boyfriend?