Humans May be Monogamous on the Outside But We're Polygamous on the Inside

This is my personal belief and Im aware others will have theirs.

If giving an opinion try actually give a reason why you feel a certain way. Cursing or complaing about another's opinion without explaining yours is pointless.

I will start with this. The idea that you cannot love more than one person romantically is heavily flawed. People say that if you love this person you clearly don't love the other. This couldn't be more wrong. We prove this wrong each day of our lives. We can love our mom and our dad. We can love our brother and sister. We can love our dog or cat. We can love our friends. That already can add up to more than 10 people.

Now is this love different or lesser. Yes... But only to an extent. Romantic love and family love is different. Yet very similar. You care about this person. You wish no harm to come to them. You would protect them or give your life for there's. I feel that way about my family and some friends. Now people will contradict this by saying if you love more than one person romantically. You clearly don't care if you hurt the other person you loves feelings... Why would that ever be the case. You love both. You don't want harm to come to either. Just cause I love my dad doesn't mean I want my mom to get hurt.

I am in no way. Shape or form defending cheating. I find cheating a horrible thing and the person who cheats deserves the consequences. The issue I take is with telling or rather yelling at this person that they never loved their significant other. How does them falling for another impact the love they have for the original. Of course there times love lessens or it wasn't true love to begin with. But people have always been able to love more than one person. So hating on someone who has fallen trap to this instinct is pathetic and pretty judgmental.

Have we not had crushes that come and go. Do we stop finding others attractive once we with the person we love. Of course not. Which is why I believe in society it's seen as acceptable to be monogamous. But polygamous... That's just horrible. When in matter of fact. Our brains are wired to be polygamous. To have different levels of love for different people or things. I say again. This doesn't make cheating or lying okay. But it makes it so that people should get off their high horse when insulting someone who may of fallen for another.

They have a big decision to make. But that doesn't mean they hate or disliked the original person they loved. Assuming that is extremely cruel and unfair. Cheating is cruel and unfair. But that's my point. We may accept monogamy but in our hearts I believe we all have a level of polygamy inside us.

3044

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 44

What Girls Said 30

• Well if you love someone you don't want to hurt them. And cheating on them is going to hurt them. So the cheater can't love the original partner all that much.

• Sexual monogamy =/= Social monogamy

Most humans aren't sexually monogamous. The need to be in such sexual relationship doesn't naturally appear in most people and it's okay if they are sexually attracted to other people while they are in a socially monogamous relationship.

At the same time, most people idealize social monogamy. There's both biological and cultural arguments why humans do that. Our civilization prioritized this need of ours to our sexual urges and temporary infatuations and at a point in history, made monogamy a requirement.

On the whole, the fact that we aren't all sexually monogamous shouldn't be used as a tool to fight marital monogamy.

We are humans. We have a thing called civilization that's an achievement of our rebellion against nature. Marital monogamy is just one of the many necessary unnatural things we have, because we concluded it improves our lives as a society.

• I believe that some people are naturally more monogamous and some people are naturally more polyamorous/polygamous. Personally, I'm monogamous through and through. I prefer having a unique bond with one partner- that is what I crave, what makes me happy, and what feels natural to me. I disagree that humans are "wired" to be polygamous- that is a vast oversimplification. Who forced us to be monogamous? Who created that notion on our behalf and shoved it down our throats? Nobody, that's who. It is as "natural" to us as anything else is. But that doesn't mean it's right for every person- I agree with you there. It is ultimately a matter of personal preference, in my opinion.

• I strongly agree that human are polygamy from inside

• Quite true

• Nah, I'm monogamous.

• Interesting perspective on it

• You raise an interesting point.

• Correct.

• agree!

• Show more from Girls
    10