Is there value to a person believing in something beyond them that cares about them? I think so. Here's one explanation that fits right into our design!
Human beings are social creatures. We survived through history by working together in groups, tribes, nations. Those who were connected in the tribe, felt included, supported and survived. Those who were cast out (shame, guilt, rule violations) either died or were unable to find mates, thus their genes are lying in the dirt. Maybe some of that dirt made your salad today...food for thought? Anyways...
A powerful hormone dwells within us called Oxytocin. Produced by the hypothalamus and released by the posterior Pituitary Gland, Oxytocin fosters feelings of love and social bonding between people, partners and infant. It is a reward, known as the "love" hormone. Oxytocin gives us that feeling of inclusion and has been associated with the healing of heart tissues. It actually has physical healing properties!
It's free, you just need to get some excitement in the motor neurons of your hypothalamus and pituitary gland! Yeah! Oh, that is a bit scientific... you need social interaction to release it and some evidence suggests, belief in a higher power also works! Cool!
Human beings are the one creatures that can imagine something into existence. Because of this power, we can conjure up and tap into some amazing chemicals. An example of this would be the ability to masterbate to an image in your mind, have release, our body feeling the effects as if we were there, to some degree.
What you believe, can make a big difference in your stress and healing response!
So where do we get this chemical? Oxytocin levels increase when hugging and during orgasm. Now were talking!
* Sex - There are many health benefits to sex. You were designed to reproduce a lot of kiddos, have lots of sex and bonding because it takes years to raise those kids. Oxytocin creates that "cuddle" feeling for the mates and the baby.
* Hugs - they are free, make them count! Do you remember the feeling of a good hug? Oh yea! Give and get them where you can. Maybe start a hug club, get them on the street, get creative! Be friendly.
* Spirtuality - there is some evidence of association of oxytocin release in men when they have a spiritual beliefs. Study has not been conducted on women yet.
Thing is, Oxytocin is a stress hormone, released when we are under stress! So in effect, you could say, stress has healing effects...if you view the stress the right way! Check this out!
Start at 7:50 for short version:
#Oxytocin is a Stress hormone that:
* Primes you to do things that strengthens close relationships
* Crave physical contact with friends and family
* Fine tunes social instincts
* Enhances Empathy
* Makes one willing to help and support people you care about. Maybe you are getting Oxytocin from GAG...want to run a test and find out:)?
* Protects cardiovascular system from the effects of stress
The biological stress response is encouraging you to tell someone, instead of bottling it up! When you reach out for help or to help someone, you get a hit of Oxytocin! Oh yea!
Are you seeing how isolation, maybe online social isolation is bad for you? Social Media looks to be destructive when it blocks us from physical relationships and poisons us by fostering feelings of jealousy and exclusion, such as, "I don't have this", "I feel more alone when you look at your friend and his GF's amazing vacation". Social Media poison!
More research is needed, but it is clear right now, you need social interaction! If you feel like crap, this would be one of the reasons why...you aren't getting Oxytocin the way you were designed to get it!
* View stress as helpful, you create a sense of courage!
* Connecting with others under stress creates resilience!
* By doing so, you are remembering you don't have to face life's challenges alone!
I've heard from women before that say, "I don't want before married, but sometimes, God is not enough"! How true that may be, we crave for each other, man and woman, we are designed that way. God is in our hearts and minds, but we often need that physical, human animal pleasure.
From a Christian Women on how Oxytocin works and how you can set boundaries in relationships.
Thus, lightbulb27 is hereby and forthwith declaring every day is Oxytocin day, globally!
Lastly, one has to wonder about the "health" of our health care system that does not focus on touch. Could it be it is ignored to ensure lots of drugs get administered? When we lay there in bed, where are we getting Oxytocin? We should be getting a lot of love, hugs and sex in the hospital! There, I said it. Have you had sex in the hospital? I think it's time to get ill and try that..no?
Now that would be a huge improvement...and insurance companies can pay for it if they want, it would cut time visits...a good business case can be made! Imagine that line teim
Now go get your Oxytocin...in a safe, respectful, good legal way! Change that health care system to a, um, vibrant health care system!