Is it normal for long term relationships to go through lulls?

I'm in my first long relationship. I'm used to butterflies, tingles, intensity, which I've lost for my boyfriend. We've been together for a year now and he told me that It's normal for that to fade, because real love sets in instead of something that burns out with intensity. This is my first safe relationship. Is it normal to go through lulls like this?

1630

Most Helpful Guy

• It's the same for guys. That excitement of seeing a woman naked will wear off at some point after we get used to seeing her in the shower for the 10,000th time. It doesn't matter if she looks like a supermodel -- at some point that excitement will fade.

It's the true test of the durability of a relationship. You can't go from washing a guy's underwear or the guy washing yours and get butterflies and tingles every time you see him/her. It'll become routine. The difference is whether you like the routine or not, and can see yourself going through that routine for the rest of your life.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not necessarily.. I think with enough effort from both parties, the honeymoon period doesn't need to end, so long as the foundation of your relationship wasn't purely sexual.

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, for example. Perhaps our sex live settled down, is not quite as spontaneous anymore but it's great in a different way. Still exciting but paired with a level of comfort. We know what works for the other quite well by now so it's a lot more emotionally fulfilling by now, as well as physically.