Why I Choose to Doubt the Existence of God

- Please notice before reading: I am simply saying that I`m in doubt! I`m not hating nor initiating on disrespecting anyone. I respect all beliefs and I accept constructive criticism. Enjoy! x -

...In loving memory of Stephen Hawking

Firstly, I have always admired Hawking`s theories. I`ve read several of his books (even though I suck at math and haven`t really tried physics) and basically followed him with great interest. He is probably the only person I will ever truly fangirl over. Except maybe Channing Tatum. Anyway, this MyTake is to honor and remember him. Please let me know what you think in the comments!

Why I choose to doubt the existence of God

A dominating passion for science

I love science! Who doesn`t? Not everyone understands it, but science is a huge part of our lives regardless of our interest in it. The truth is, none of us really know for sure what is out there, who we are, where we came from and why. Archaic civilizations from thousands of years ago attempted to explain these puzzling questions and came up with God, whom we are all familiar with today. Science has definitely battled religion for several decades. Today, it varies what people choose to believe in.

My bad experiences with religion

I grew up in a cult until I was twelve years old. Being in one caused much damage on my family, my well being, and my individual view on life. But one thing is for sure: I doubt I would be the one I am today if I hadn`t gone through all that. I experienced pressure, my parents nearly divorcing, lies, intense judgment, and betrayal. The image I had of God was not him being kind, loving or forgiving. In addition, I was eventually introduced to even deeper history and one of the things I realized was that many wars the world experienced and experiences today is involved with religion in some way! That was definitely a red flag for me. If God loved his children I would assume that he wouldn`t want us to fight each other.

For me, religion was always a way of keeping people away from certain things. Religion is supposed to help you improve your belief in God, but my religious experience led to believe in myself and other truths outside of the community! Of course, this is not the case for everyone.

The view of God is different everywhere

There are countless religions out there. You have small cults like the one I was involved with, large religions like Islam and Christianity and there are many others we aren`t even familiar with. In other words, the truths and images of God are so different, and each one is just as true as the one you believe in. So which one is more accurate? Who can we trust? Would the Gods or God himself allow so many different religions?

Ancient Gods went extinct

Very few people believe in the Gods presented in Norse and Greek mythology anymore. But remember, these Gods played a crucial part in the average person`s life at that time. They were just as important as current Gods, perhaps like the one you believe in or know of. The fact that someone could believe in so many different Higher Powers at different times just makes it less reliable for me to believe that there is a God (or more) to begin with.

Humans are more God-like than God himself

Sounds completely illogical, right? Well, think about it! God can destroy, create, punish, reward, make things grow, love... Since when couldn`t humans perform these acts? Through thousands of generations, we have been able to create new civilizations, technology and new types of humans or species like AI. And that is just barely scratching the surface. We have been able to control genetic modification, interfere with earth`s natural processes and control domesticated animals. So why do we need to believe in a Higher Power when we are the ones who rule the world, punish people, control processes, dominate territories and create things?

The only Hell and Paradise you might ever experience is right in front of you

Just take a look at what humans have done to the planet. We are capable of rape, prostitution, corruption, and murder. Aren`t all of these things sins, according to the Holy Books? Additionally, the temperature is increasing because of global warming and the planet is demolishing right before our eyes, and it`s all a result of human`s reckless acts. Sounds a bit like Hell to me!

When it comes to Paradise, you pretty much choose how your life is going to turn out based on your decisions. You can make your life a great place, even literally Paradise if you live in Hawaii or plan on moving there (alright, that was a corny comparison, but I assume you get the point). Just make your time being here a good one and you won`t ever need to seek Paradise.

I can be a happy, good and likable person regardless of religion

I`ve just come to the conclusion that I don`t need religion or God to be happy or to fit His standards. I don`t need religion to do the right things, either. Some people think that you have to be a certain way or do certain things to be rewarded or accepted by God. But would you put that demand on someone? Your friends or family, perhaps? Would you tell them to wear a certain clothing, act a certain way or look a certain way to be the definition of a perfect person for your life? I don`t think so. You would probably end up pretty lonely, but you`re not because you consider your friends and family perfect just the way they are and that`s the best you could ever ask for.

528

Most Helpful Guy

• Overall, I think this is a pretty good take, and I'm going to apologize in advance for nitpicking, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I don't think you can "choose" whether or not to believe something. Rather, you simply are or are not "compelled" to believe it based on your own observations and experiences.

If I told you I had a pink and purple polka-dotted unicorn in my basement, you would not be compelled to believe me, as this goes against your conditioning. The only thing that would compel you to believe in my unicorn would be something that breaks your conditioning. Perhaps if I were to show you a photograph of my unicorn, you might feel compelled to believe me. Or you might continue to doubt. If I brought you to see my unicorn with your own two eyes, you'd probably feel compelled to believe in it, as you had physical evidence of my unicorn in front of you. You'd be able to see it, to touch it, to get stabbed by it's horn (pink and purple polka-dotted unicorns are surprisingly ill-tempered).

But regardless, you'd be highly unlikely to "choose" to believe or disbelieve either way, because belief isn't like deciding what to have for dinner. You'd follow your compulsion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Whats cool is all these points are already in the Bible:

1.) We are gods and godesses

Psalms 82:6

"I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.'"

2.) Science has been documented in the Bible for 6,000 years

Job 28:5

(written in 3500BC when earth was thought to flat and had no core)

"The earth, from which food comes, is transformed below as by fire;"

*ppl thought job was crazy but science confirmed his writings 3,000 years later in the 17th century.

*Science is prevalent in entire Bible, but direct laws, theories etc are in Job.
    Job is the book of science;
    there's verses about the
    Law of Universal Gravitation (Sir Isaac Newton,)
    Water Cycle (Meriette / Periette) Earths Core,
    Suns orbit etc -

Evolution: Natural Selection

Gen 30:37-39

"37 Jacob, however, took fresh-cut branches from poplar, almond and plane trees and made white stripes on them by peeling the bark and exposing the white inner wood of the branches.
    38 Then he placed the peeled branches in all the watering troughs, so that they would be directly in front of the flocks when they came to drink. When the flocks were in heat and came to drink,
    39 they mated in front of the branches. And they bore young that were streaked or speckled or spotted. "

This experiment is done all the time in testing natural selection. We did it with fish and a natural predator in biology class last year.

there's more, but its a lot lol

3.) Other gods died out

Isaiah 41:22-24

22 “Tell us, you idols, what is going to happen. Tell us what the former things were, so that we may consider them and know their final outcome. Or declare to us the things to come, 23 tell us what the future holds, so we may know that you are gods. Do something, whether good or bad, so that we will be dismayed and filled with fear.
    24 But you are less than nothing and your works are utterly worthless"

The made up gods die out when the ruling power does; God has been prevalent even when Christianity was an illegal religion and believers were being tortured and killed for 400 years.

Even records of God worship after Jerusalem fell, in the nations the jews were taken captive.

God has never been associated with powerful ruling nations until the USA, and hasn't died out despite that for 6000 years

• 4.) The church was uses to seize political power, and many people saw it as an oppurtunity for wealth and power. Instead of following God, religion was used to manipulate people for money.

But God already forewarned:

2Peter 2:2-3

2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
      3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

And will destroy them, hence why "christianity" is dying, but God isn't.

5.) The World following its own philosophies gets worse due to subjectivity of human thinking

2 Timothy 3:2-3

"People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good..."

Also already predicted

• 6.) Hell makes us accountable for our sins; heaven is a reward for stopping them

If there's no hell, then it doesn't matter if we murder lots of people, steal and treat eachother badly, (which is exactly what happens,) because there's no penalty for it.

What? Go to jail and sleep all day and eat well?

Or death penalty? A man killed 58 people in Las Vegas and killed himself. Wheres the justice?

-

Sorry Im not debating lol the churches dont show these verses because confirming science means exposing the churches lies and it losing its power.

The growth in non-belief may seem like God is no more, but its just resurrecting the faith the world tried to kill 1700 years ago.

• Sorry for your poor exp in church. I was taken advantage of as well, its 2 Peter happening in reality.

They make up stuff to persuade you using false christianity, then satan uses that to crush belief in God altogether.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• Do you think doubt and belief are choices?

• Of course they are.

I choose not to believe in christianity, instead i have my own ideas.
      I choose to doubt that prayer does anything at all, instead i believe in creating your own miracles.

I could easily turn around and choose to put faith in these things, and believe they are what they make out to be. But instead I've chosen the path im currently on instead.

• We're arguing differing opinions on an abstract subject. I've no doubt we're simply both unable to properly express our views with a combination of failing to understand what the other is trying to say.

• @BaileyisDarcy
      I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) that @ladsin is saying, in regards to belief, that "your belief becomes your reality".
      OR
      Another way to say that is: "a belief is not merely an idea the mind posses, it's an idea that possess the mind."

and with doubt, it is not always a matter of choice. It could be an issue with trust, disposition, desire, etc.

• Let me tell the truth why you choose to "doubt" God.

The reason is #1 you have no desire to a have or even think you to have a higher authority over you and much less you glorify it as a God.

#2 You have a strong desire to live life on your terms wheather it be moral or immoral, hence, you want sin in your life and not feel guilty one bit for it.

Romans 1:18-32:

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

For this reason God gave them up to vile passions.

For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

Why Athiestism Will Always Remain Far More Less Common Globally. ↗

• " The reason is #1 you have no desire to a have or even think you to have a higher authority over you and much less you glorify it as a God.

#2 You have a strong desire to live life on your terms wheather it be moral or immoral, hence, you want sin in your life and not feel guilty one bit for it."

Yeah, those are not the reasons for why people deny the existence of God. However, since I'm feeling generous today, I'll give you a C+ for effort. :)

• Why is the god of the bible such a dick?

He is allegedly accusing me of being all these things that he is himself. God has committed genocide before -- infanticide too. How could you say he loves you, Hispanic Cool Guy? He is threatening you every second of every day with eternal torture. Yahweh/the trinity is a hypocrite.

• following in his long line of awful posts.

• That's when doubt starts, when the times are tough. That's why people need to understand that prayer takes time and faith and patience. It doesn't mean if you said your prayer once and next day nothing changed that it won't change after some time. But that's what true faith is about. God wants us to know that he can do anything if it is His will but like I said He is testing our fait. Since my faith became stronger I have better relationship with God and my life is better and easier. And also people want and make wars, God doesn't want a war, He gave us a comendment to not kill so killing and making war in name of God is terribly wrong. You need to learn a lot which you can do best by attending mass and reading Bible. My faith started to grow stronger when I was 18 and it took strong will and faith. And I still have to become better but it's rewarding. And like it says in the Bible sometimes bad things happen so God can show you that he can save you from anything, for example people of Izrael passed through a lot of bad in Egipt during slavery, but then God made them free from slavery and later he gave them food and everything they needed to survive on the way to promised land. The same way he takes care of me and everyone who believe.

• You were raised in a wrong cult I guess which tarnished your understanding or image of religion and God forever. I come from a country where there are a few major cults emerging out of Hinduism but the powerful ones that are headed by powerful and popular figures are known to be good, helping and have large number of volunteers as well.

• Yes it's sad Steven Hawking died.
    Yes it's sad you grew up in a cult.
    Yes everyone's view of God is different the same way everyone who knows you perceives you differently.
    But then you go on to ask why we need to believe in a higher power. It's called seeking the truth.
    Then after reading about you comparing global warming to hell and accuse humans of causing global warming I couldn't continue because I couldn't take you seriously after that.

• How does belief in a higher power bring anyone closer to truth?

• @ScottieO My point is that if gravity is real we want to understand it. The same way as if God is real we want to try to understand it. We could go into the limits of reason if you wanted to but that wasn't the main point and it's not any more abstract than gravity.

It's more like studying everything philosophically produces purpose and can give an answer to important questions like "What is the meaning of life?". This combined with the cosmological argument, would bring a person closer to truth. If you really want to throw the limits of reason "nuke" in you could but it destroys everyone's argument.

• Hello, I'm a Sustainability major at ASU.

Global Warming is real due to CO2 emissions (including other air pollutants which are only caused by human activity) and greenhouse gases (which is a natural process that occurs and is not man-made) which is then collected in the atmosphere. These chemicals then absorb the sunlight and solar radiation that have bounced off the earth’s surface (35% reflectivity) which then becomes trapped heat in the atmosphere and causes the planet to get hotter.

If you haven't taken a science or chemistry class that talks about its electromagnetic radiation with matter you can check out a few credible sources here:
      - sustainability.asu.edu/.../
      - https://climate.nasa.gov/

A few sustainable organization websites to help inform the public:
      - www.nrdc.org/stories/global-warming-101#warming
      - www.footprintnetwork.org/.../

It helps do check out academic research and other credible sources. Good luck! I hope I helped.

• Religion is supernatural. Supernatural things can exist. The problem is that science doesn't approve anything unless it is proved with evidence. I'm a believer. I think humans cannot prove and discover all the secrets of the universe.

• I was a Muslim who became an atheist and everything you listed is also the reason why I don't believe in God or religion apart from having bad experience with religion.

When I was a Muslim I have a strong sense of brotherhood in the Muslim community. Brotherhood is a very important part of Islam, they treat their fellow Muslim as if it was their relative even if they were strangers. This is the main reason why I want to openly identity as Muslim even though I'm not.

When I noticed that science conflicts with religion and learnt the development of religions in history, I start to doubt God and my religion.

• WHEN I DIE IT WILL BE THE END IT GOES BLACK WHEN WE ARE BORN WE DONT KNOW WE ARE BORN WHEN WE DIE WE DONT KNOW THAT WE ARE DEAD THATS THE END OF THINGS FOR US SO CALLED HUMAN BEINGS

• Good for you and a great take. Hawking made some great observations about the scientific problems with the existence of a God.

• Seems pretty reasonable to me. Science is the strongest argument, I think.

• I don't doubt the existence of (a) god. I am 100% certain there isn't one.

• That's something i don't understand about who believe in a god. Why would their god be more real than any other god worshipped through history?

• A Bishop Brennan is enroute to your location.

• Alrighty then, I guess Hawking knows for sure now doesn't he, too bad he can't come back and let everyone know what he has learned.

• Full disclosure... I previously posted this elsewhere.

Okay so this is what I know:

George Carlin was an atheist. He was an extremely talented and hilarious foul-mouthed comedian. He also did a lot of charity work for children and was the original narrator for "Thomas The Tank Engine". Well when George Carlin died, a cartoonist (whose name escapes me at the moment... forgive me) drew a one panel illustration showing George Carlin standing in front of the Pearly Gates of Heaven with a Halo over his head. Also in front of the Pearly Gates of Heaven was Saint Peter. He was behind his dais with his book, his quill pen, his angel wings, and his Halo. Both George Carlin and Saint Peter stare at one another stunned and simultaneously say, "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

In conclusion, whatever we believe or don't believe, whatever might or might not be, as James T. Kirk once said, "I like to think that there are... possibilities."

• Hey I follow a philosophical organisation RSSB. org
    The master of RSSB tells the path of GOD realisation , he says it's not by discussion of God we can get this , he tells the path of meditation whose technique is told during initation, though I am not initiated there is an age requirement of 22, so to ensure that initiate lives a honest life. The true master can only truly initiate a disciple like Christ and many Saint did to There disciple so the one who has been sent by God can also feel the way upwards by meditating on his soul, Christ and all great Saint has also done meditation and realised God , but today the path told by saints is made as a name of relegion dividing people , though the true master who had only known the path has already departed.
    If interested you can find an international centre in your area to attend spiritual discourse, in website already mentioned RSSB. org, then find and click on satsang schedule option on it.

• I am closer to Dodekatheism the first religion and the real history of humanity

• every 1 has their own views not 1 answer is right for every 1

• Great take! A 10/10.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 4

• I doubt that God is some supernatural Apocalyptic Alien God, but I can't disprove that such a being exists somewhere.

I studied habitable worlds, studied the philosophical reasons for why life exists and basic psychology.

Is life just some random chaotic accident that just had all the right elements as a result of multiple nova and supernova explosions?
    All scientific research points to yes.

Is intelligence evidence of a greater purpose?
    If you think along the lines of speciesism, then no.
    There is a lot of research and evidence that animals share a lot of similar displays of intelligence: our bartering system, suspiciousness, empathy, etc. It is just a reality of adapting to survive life.

Could God still exist? If we view God in a scientific way, God could be energy. Energy is everything, creates everything, destroys everything. Energy is connected to everything from plants, water, animals to humans. Therefore, it would make sense that we are all in said "Gods image". It also makes sense that God, being energy, would not do anything other than exist (also consider the fact of law of nature). Which a duo-reality, consisting of both positive and negative energy, only exists because that energy exist. (Because in order to create, destroy etc you need positive and negative energy.) Therefore, respecting God would be to respect everything otherwise life would cease to exist without that balance (long-term, think sustainability wicked issues and the loss for resources with an increasing population and no respect to the environments health)?

Many people wonder what the purpose of life is. I'd say look at science. It's called the cycle of life; you respect it, you live it, then everything gets to die and then we get to repeat the cycle. Every species just wants to survive. Ultimately, the end of earth is unavoidable just like every planet or star, but I guess our purpose as a species must be learn to adapt for the sake of future generations.

Humans are basically parasites to the planet. Even when they die their corpse doesn't give back to the earth, it gets pumped full of chemicals to last longer and then contaminates the soil. Or people choose to burn their bodies adding to CO2 emissions and not providing any nutrients to the earth that they took from (considering how huge the average person in the United States, China etc. ecological footprint is).

Life is what people have made it.

• You ever watched Ancient Aliens or Prometheus?

• "If we should consider anything superior... I'd say space and the planet was superior."

I'd have to say rather the entire Universe itself, since it's impossible to measure and impossible to calculate, meaning it's the biggest of them all and bigger than everybody and everything else. The universe itself includes all of outer space and virtually everything that is in existence within reality, endless amount of planets, stars, black holes, nebulas, galaxies, etc., etc. When out planet is compared to the Universe itself, it's nothing more than a really tiny spec of one massive full and endless picture, a tiny pale blue dot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWPFmdAWRZ0

• @JudgmentDay lol check out the definition of space. <3 I agree with you.

• Quite insightful and well written! Personally I'm not in doubt but rather entirely lack any believe in God because there's simply no convincing evidence.

• Still missing his existence while others r acting as God himself. If he minded then few people would have been existed.

• In Loving Memory of Billy Graham: He who Believes in Jesus Christ, will have Ever Lasting life."

• I never Heard of Hawk until the other Day on Here, dear. Billy Graham has been Around for almost 100 years. xx