The Truth about the Garden of Eden!

When it comes to stories contained within the Bible, it’s not a stretch to assume they are half-truths. Bible stories are as close to truth as Inglorious Basterds is to the events of WW2. One story in particular is worth focusing on more than others: The Garden of Eden. We have to cover a number of aspects in order to paint a full picture of the misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

First Writings

So when we look at the Garden of Eden which is contained within Genesis (the first book of the Bible) we have to explore the earliest versions. So when was it written? Well, if you take the Bible version and ignore other mythologies, then the most recent estimates put the Yahwist (the first 6 books of the Bible/Torah) at the 6th century BCE (600-500BCE). So it’s interesting that the book which apparently reflects “God’s message” was written much, much later than earlier versions of what is essentially the same story. Ancient Sumerian tablets written around 2800BCE contain varying references (at least 12 references) to the Garden of Eden and to Adam and Eve.

Misunderstandings

When it comes to misunderstandings, misinterpretations and mistranslations, the Bible would be the best example of all three. There isn’t another book on this planet which has strayed so far from the story’s original meaning. So let’s take a look at what exactly the Bible gets wrong. For starters, we need to understand a bit more about Ancient Sumer. The ancient Sumerians are known for creating one of the earliest forms of writing known as Cuneiform. These arrow or wedge shapes are very distinct from later written languages.

This is important as Assyrians and Babylonians whose civilisations rose to prominence within the same areas as the Sumerians valued everything the Sumerians did, said, built, etc. These new societies would write in Akkadian, their own form of the Sumerian cuneiform. This in turn would be used to create Eblaite and Amorite, two of the earliest forms of Semitic languages. Eventually (around the 10th century BCE) we get Proto-Sinaitic Script, followed by the Phoenician alphabet (the first alphabet) which in turn became the Aramaic alphabet and eventually the paleo-Hebrew alphabet. Of course the more modern Semitic languages today are Arabic and Hebrew (among others).

Originally, when the Sumerian Cuneiform clay tablets were discovered, there was a worry it would be impossible to decipher them. The language is entirely original and unique. It was initially only due to an understanding of these later written languages that translations could be attempted. However, it wasn’t until the discovery of a lexicon that Anton Parks (Sumero-Akkadian researcher and translator) could fully understand the original clay tablets. He has since gathered evidence which suggests that in fact for hundreds of years, we have been mistranslating the Sumerian tablets.

Exploring the Inaccuracies

One problem many religious groups face today is translations. Many speak only English and don’t understand that some words simply don’t translate into other languages in the same way. Take, for example, the word paradise. The Garden of Eden is often referred to as ‘paradise’. The word itself comes from the Greek word: paradeisos. The definition of which is simply “enclosed park” often used to refer to an enclosed park housing wild animals (1). It wasn’t until the Hellenistic Period that the term transcribed as meaning “garden”.

You may be familiar with Genesis 2:15 “The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.” So it may also surprise you to hear the correct translations from these ancient clay tablets which reads: “The men who serve the gods work for them in the garden and are treated like animals.” This is a recurring theme within these clay tablets which points to only one realisation: The Garden was simply an area where the elite groups/Gods live in luxury while slaves carry out the more menial tasks. The original texts refer to ‘Kharsag’ which translates roughly as ‘the city of the Gods’.

We also need to look at some of the individual words used. For example Eden is comprised of two main components ‘E’ which means ‘home’ and ‘Den’ (pronounced ‘Din’ or ‘Tin’) meaning ‘life’. We also have to look at one of the main characters in the Biblical creation story: Adam. Interestingly, you may suspect that the name/word ‘Adam’ has Hebrew roots but actually, it’s a Sumerian word. A-DAM actually translates as meaning ‘animals’. This is due not to Adam actually being an animal but rather the word ADAM referring to the lower class or level of the human species as viewed by the Gods.

Another important word we need to explore is SATAM (perhaps better known to you as Satan). The word SATAM in ancient Sumerian actually translates as ‘administrator’. There is nothing inherently evil or foul-natured about this word or being other than from what we know of later religious texts (such as Judeo-Christian texts). This word will be of particular importance when we explore the earliest Garden of Eden story. Finally, we have to explore the word which would later be mistranslated as “apple”: GNEESH. This Sumerian word doesn’t mean apple but rather tool or tree.

The True Story

The Truth about the Garden of Eden!

The stories which come from these tablets of ancient Sumer tell not of one God but several. This council or assembly of Gods with several higher up members: Enki and Enlil. Each of these is quite apparent very early into the tablets. Enlil is referred to as ‘The Great SATAM’ (meaning the great administrator) but is similar to a dictator (eerily similar to the Judeo-Christian God): He is angry, domineering and controlling. This God doesn’t view humanity as anything more than animals or slaves whose sole purpose is to serve him and his kind. This was in comparison to Enki (also known as ‘the serpent’ due to his scale-like complexion) who is sometimes referred to as the Trickster God but was also known as the God of Wisdom. Enki (in comparison to Enlil) cares deeply for humanity and would often intervene with them in order to offer warning or insight (an example of this can be seen in the flood story which is almost identical to the Noah story but with different characters).

These Gods, while being humanoid in shape have different skin. The tablets refer to early forms of genetics which suggest that these Gods took already existing humans (perhaps an earlier species) and created what we would know as homo sapiens. While Enki was primarily responsible for this task, it was Enki who decided the specifications i.e. this new species of humans was designed for one purpose: to serve. These humans were naturally subservient to these Gods and didn’t question orders or even have free will by all accounts.

The tablets differ quite drastically from the Genesis story in that a God was sacrificed in order to combine their blood (the literal translation) with these new humans, along with elements of the Earth. This genetic change sounds crazy (particularly to myself, someone who doesn’t believe in Gods) but there is evidence of a drastic change in human DNA. I personally don’t think it is evidence of God-interaction but it’s interesting to note. To look at this evidence, we have to focus on chromosome number 2 which is not only the 2nd largest chromosome but also makes about 8% of the DNA in any cell. The interesting change is a fusion of pre-existing chromosomes that would actually have been found in primates. It’s responsible (among other things) for the formation of the cortex. This gives us mental abilities such as logic, empathy, sympathy and compassion. You could arguably say it is responsible for our sense of morality.

Enki secretly altered some of the genes within certain groups of humanity. This is viewed as a change that would allow enlightenment to take place within these humans. The other Gods even turn against him, particularly Enlil. As time goes on, these humans become independent and discover the ability to disobey the Gods and choose not to be subservient. Enki, as such, wishes to treat the humans as if they were the same as the Gods. Enlil asks Enki to go fourth and talk to the humans on behalf of the Gods, something that Enki had been doing anyway. It’s important to remember that Enki is frequently described as having reptilian features. He is also the only God that the humans come into direct contact with (at least at this time).

Enki approaches a woman in the “Garden” and provides them with GNEESH (a tool). He explains that humanity can use either side of this tool. On the one side, they can use it for building or fixing…or they can use it for fighting, defending and conquering. Due to their oppression at the hands of the Gods and the realisation that they now have the means to revolt, the humans do just that. They launch an attack against the Gods which ultimately fails and the surviving humans (of which there are now few) are put back to work. So what did Enki give mankind? A choice! You may even say that the serpent presented humanity with the ability to defy the Gods which ultimately led to the fall of man.

Welcome in the Judeo-Christian Views

The Truth about the Garden of Eden!

So this leads us to the point in time where the varying books of the Old Testament were being compiled. It’s undeniably obvious that the Garden of Eden story existed in written form in ancient Sumer long before it was ever written for the purposes of the Torah or Bible. What idea benefits a religion more: Pushing humanity to rise up against oppressors (Gods or otherwise) OR making humanity feel guilty and subservient with only one purpose: to serve God? One relates to Enki and the other to Enlil. The latter is exactly the same as the Judeo-Christian God and so the choice that was made is obvious. Giving knowledge and power to humanity was the work of an evil character, a snake, a deceiver and yet forcing humanity to serve is somehow the act of an all-loving God?

The interesting thing is that this duality and symbolism still exists very much today. Not worshipping God, not believing in God, not obeying God is how one follows the path of the devil (of the snake from the Garden). Yet Enki’s message is still found within Christianity today, despite being erased from the stories himself. For example, the most famous depiction of Enki shows him holding a pinecone in one hand. The pinecone (which obviously comes from a tree) is used to symbolise consciousness. Pinecones were symbolic within later religious beliefs and a giant statue of a Pinecone can be found in Vatican City (although it predates the Catholic ownership of the land).

So you have to ask yourself: Does Christianity have the wrong end of the stick? Has the Bible or Torah being teaching the side of the story that goes against the interests of humanity? Is the Devil actually just a God who tried to help us and the one God these faiths worship is simply a dictator? How would anyone know differently?

If you liked this MyTake, I can continue onto the Noah flood myth and how the Ancient Sumerian tablets discuss a different version of the story. Let me know in the comments!

1. https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/nas/paradeisos.html

1011
Cammy137 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Girls

• While what you appear to suggest in your article is that the oldest version of something is the one that should be deemed the most authoritative. This is not always true from a pragmatic standpoint because sometimes a modern Hindu reading 1400 old writings is better than an ancient Hindu reading things from 300 b. c. etc... I also think that if God did intervene in the making of scriptures that it may have occurred some time after the ancient Sumerian civilization or that the God of the Sumerians exist apart from the historical parallels that it houses with Christianity. As an example Buddhism and Christianity are completely different theology but they both preach love and forgiveness and non-violence. Therefore religious intent and design should be measured according the moral aptitude of its teachings and the areas in which is moral crux is maximally beneficial to society - not at the historical or didactic origins of its writing.

However I appreciate the creativity and intelligence behind your post.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Just to clarify, I'm not claiming that one story is more true than the other. I don't believe either to be factual. I don't think we should believe one over the other. My point is that similar to your point, many people make the assumption that God must have told the true story to people AFTER the Sumerians detailed their own stories on these clay tablets.
      Less assumptions are required if we consider the very real possibility that the Bible was simply the combination of previously existing stories from other civilisations.

• you have confused your thighs as they say in my country. Adam means "he who is made of soil". your innacuracies are more than the supposed bible ones. also sumerians after generations sicne the first humans, as ancient chinese and other old cultures, had fragments and distortions of the truth. after each mouth, every retelling of the story, someone added or altered something. thats why you get a different cosmogeny in the end. the bible though is remembering the true story with divine revelation, even if it was written later than sumerian texts.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • what you can accuse christian scriptures for, which is revealed in other texts either secular or non canonical, is the existence of the nephilims. these "gods" that mixed with human blood were the same that the egyptians worshiped. demonbreed nephilims with corporeal bodies.

• GLORY TO MY GOD ABOVE THE DOME YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAcp3BFBYw4

Most Helpful Guys

• And yet the Sumerians are the same people who claimed their kings lived for thousands of years according to their records, which historians still can't figure out if that's a mistake or not. These were also the same people who created psychotic texts and dark spiritual dabblings full of spells that inspired people like H. P. Lovecraft and the movie Evil Dead, so I'm not about to take their word for anything.

Adam meant one thing to them and another to the Hebrews in their language. Also, the Hebrews kept much of their history orally, which was why it wasn't all written down until later. This actually isn't uncommon, as the Celts, native Americans, and others didn't really write their histories down either.

The Garden of Eden has more to it than the Sumerians' mythological transcription. Most people think it was in the Middle East because of the Bible locating it between the Tigris and Euphrates, but I am one of few people who believes it was set in what is now Armenia, as the 2 rivers stretched up there too.

The Bible already tells us that there would later be people who try to create confusion about history and the existence of God, and that's already been happening. In fact everything the Bible predicted about the now and the rest of the future is pretty much spot on. I don't know of any other religions to do that.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • >you think I would believe scientists and historians? I have the word of a bunch of desert goat herders who didn't even know where the sun went at night. Everything the say is pretty spot on.

The absolute state of intellectualism and theology, everybody

• I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

• You literally just dodged that question. Oral tradition is not a reliable way to keep stories, also, it is well known that politicians in the ancient world altered that book to their liking. These altercations were kept into the modern day bible.

How is this an argument for the authenticity of the information in the bible?

• %100 allegory. To read that story literally would be to miss the point of the story, which most people do. It's a story about temptation and an allegory for the weakness of humanity. Unfortunately modern idiots have taken the story to mean there really was a magical perfect garden with a talking snake.
    I hope nobody starts believing there was an actual Hogwarts in the future.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Exactly! I don't view either story as being true myself but as many people view the Judeo-Christian version as being factual (somehow) I thought it would be interesting to present an alternate viewpoint.
      I hope I'm still alive when the Hogwarts religion worshiping Harry Potter (peace be upon him) and warning of the evil Voldemort starts up!

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• I can get with the "several Gods" thing... seems more equitable to me. You do have vast knowledge on this subject, huh.

• I have a slowly expanding level of knowledge on the subject but I'm always eager to learn more!

• I feel it is a story not intended to be interpreted as literal. It's written in highly symbolic language.

• Oh I completely agree. I don't view either as a historical tale but I still find it interesting that one existed so long before the other (in written form at least)

• Exactly!

• Right, that's why 600 BCE didn't sound right.

• King James Version of the Bible is FULL TRUTHS BASED ON GOD'S WORD.
    Thanks for your own My Take Opinion. xx

• Only because it says that that is the case. I mean the movie Surfs Up (a film about surfing penguins) claims that it is based on a true story. That doesn't lead me to believe that that is the case. I don't really view it as evidence when a book claims itself to be truth.

• Interesting but where are these council of gods now?

They just disappeared?

• Also, what about Satans creation depicted in the Bible?

This would mean the, compassionate satam was made by the hot tempered, evil God... which means the hot tempered evil God, purposely made him to give us choice.

Odd thats always left out.

The Bible also calls us gods, putting us in the same ranks of the counsel.

I get everyone wants to demonize God, but in the end, The Gods arranged all this to make us complete as gods ourselves.

Not enslave us to do menial work the Gods dont even need.

Lol they are Gods... they can make entire universes explode with self sustained life in the snap of a finger.

Why would they need slower, weaker humans to agrigate the food and make luxury items they can materialize in an instant?

Its weird lol

• I don't believe these Gods were actually Gods or even real at all. It could just be a story. But it's interesting that it existed thousands of years before the earliest version of the Judeo-Christian version of the Garden of Eden.
      I think it's quite likely that the Bible version is in fact the same story but due to being told orally for so long, it became altered and changed into what it is today.

• Nice take

• nice take!

• Your view is God is a lie
    My view is Jesus is love and the only way to Heaven.
    Neither of us will change the others mind so have a good day

• I'm not trying to debate one God over another. I'm simply showing that this version of the Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve existed thousands of years before the Judeo-Christian version. I'm not trying to change your mind about anything, I'm simply presenting facts. You don't have to pay attention to them.

• Good one

What Guys Said 9

• Interesting. I am always fascinated by theology. I'm going to research more into this for myself because this is just real cool to learn. I know there are many things the Bible stole from other religions, many pagan and others similar to ancient Egypt and Greek mythology.

• HAHAHAHA WOW THE WORDS OUT YOUR MOUTH ARE NOT VERY SMART

JESUS CHRIST IS GOD HE IS ABOVE THE DOME ITS OVER LOL
      GOOD LUCK

• @RicoSuave123 OK Rico, you're right. I believe in the dome now. All hail the snow globe and the mighty God who shakes it. Can you stop posting links and comments on everything I post now?

• ill think about it :)

• It is always good to dis-establish established views and to re-think. However, your title promised a 'truth' which I could not discover.

• I guess the truth is that the Garden of Eden story that many people view is "the" story is most likely plagiarized from another source. So the truth probably applies more to religious people than to non-religious.

• I'm really confused about a lot of this, as I have read a lot of Babylonian mythology and I'm not familiar with this story as you have put it forth. Could you please list the source (tablet numbers, collection, university, etc.) Of this story I would like to read more. I am interested in the source material, from a scholarly perspective, not religious. Thanks.

• The oldest version of Genesis is the Enuma Elish: www.ancient.eu/.../

• I agree with @ManOnFire on this.

• In what way?

• In "that's exactly what I want to say, but I'm not as smart and don't know as much, so I'll reference his opinion because it makes perfect sense instead of trying to word it all out myslef and mess something up" kind of way..

• Interesting take. Thanks for sharing.

• Some things here I have never heard before. Any sources?

• Okay, I see where you got all of this. "Eden" by Anton Parks. FYI- Mr. Parks has zero academic credentials and claims to be "self-taught." Actual scholars dismiss him as being in the same category as David Icke and Graham Hancock. His interpretations of text are not accepted by modern academia.

• Still a small man

• cool!