Why the gospel is sometimes offensive to people who believe in God

One theme the psalmist addresses over and over is the idea of humility

Somebody who lacks humility will be offended by the gospel even if they know from an intellectual standpoint that God is right

Its also why Jesus said the rich have difficulty finding God since they are overly saturated in their pride and self importance

Humility is not the crucifixion of ego since you can’t remove ego just by wounding or injuring it

Rather humility involves surrendered concern for others and acceptance of them - not a pretentious display of self control designed to mask anger but an authentic patience and appreciation for them

A truly humble person is somebody who has mastered the two domains of generosity and grace

Generosity is the willingness to give money or time

Grace is the willingness to give love or respect

One is achieved with service

The other is achieved with prayer and self-deprivation

8
5

Most Helpful Guys

• Because it forces us to change and sometimes change has us see the more dirty parts of ourselves. But in modern times there are also people that want to erase and rewrite what is written in the bible to suit modern times
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jjpayne

Thank you :)

• cgehr783

Rewriting the Bible isn't something new. Catholic monks during the middle ages would make small changes to passages like the one that talked about womens hair or head coverings during prayer. Other monks would catch on and change them back but those in power would claim that theyre corrupt behavior was God's will.

• imfreeze95
    People don’t like to think that their is something wrong with them that needs fixing. Which is why Jesus came.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

56
  • CuteNerd9
    I think you're talking more about the law than the gospel. The law holds up a mirror to show you your imperfections in sin. The gospel proclaims the good news of Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior. The law tends to offend people because it tells them that they are sinners and points out the many ways in which we sin against. The law is offensive because it shows the impossibility of a human's ability to follow God's law perfectly and gain favor with him. However, the law is absolutely necessary to illustrate the precarious condition humans are in, lost in sin, deserving damnation with no hope of saving one's self. This draws people to the realization that they need a savior as one cannot save one's self. This draws us to Jesus and the gospel that in Jesus we are saved by faith in him. Faith that he lived a perfect sinless life and gave his pure body and blood on the cross to pay our debt of sin. Something we cannot do ourselves. The law can be offensive, but should never be proclaimed without the gospel which is anything but offensive.
  • Mystic_Nova
    Also, there are usually women who play in the choir and a lot take offense to this, becaus only young boys are allowed to be in thechoir, because they are usually on the path of priesthood.

And it's like you said its about being humble and such. But, I love goespel! Its louder and has a bigger tempo, it's still very humbling and moves people to tears, all while preaching the lords work and his teachings. It also can sound just as beautiful, so Inthink alotnof it has to do, with traditionalists. They didn't have such music for their churches, andit's new, so it's considered blasphemy and false.

But, I don't think god minds, especially when goespel has many different races, and even differentreligions, when theybhearbit, get touched and even moved. Have you been to a goespel church? In that time, everybody is connected and for a moment, all outside hate and anger is gone and we are left feeling connected and love for each other.

When my friends of color ask me what I'm listening to and they see that it's goespel, their faces lightened up and we all started to talk about it and connecting with it. It really is amazing when we do t let the things like music tempo and style, get passed what it still repersenting, which is the lord's and his teaching. I say the lord would love to see us all getting along with different ysuic, then shooting each others so anyone who has a problem, is silly in my opinion.
  • Exterminatore
    The gospel seems offensive for other reasons. It points out we’re sinners and in need of a savior. Prior to conversion we’re spiritually dead. Prior to our conversion sin reigns in our bodies. Sin has distorted our reasoning and made us depraved. Often out of pride people don’t like being told there’s something wrong with them, and moreover if there isn’t a change of heart and behavior they can expect judgement. People prior to their conversion have been living as they see fit. Bowing to no one. Once they’re informed of God’s law they don’t like it very much. Do to sin we’re naturally rebels and hostile to God and his reign and his laws. People want to live how they want to live and surly don’t want to be told that part of salvation is repentance and that means giving up fornication and drugs, and getting drunk. It means no more cussing, no more speeding as the Christian obeys the law and it means loving your enemy rather than attempting to exact revenge on them. These concepts the flesh does not like. People are hostile to anything that threatens their flesh life. Also the default position of the unregenerate is being in Satan’s camp as opposed to God’s. The things of God will not sit well to at least a degree to someone who’s default position is rebellion. This is why showing someone the law of God, asking them if they’ve broken it and then explaining the penalty for breaking it. Showing them the nature of their wrongs if they are elect will produce Godly sorrow (blessed are they who mourn) over sin. That causes the change of heart in the new birth. Then the understanding of judgment of sin drives them to Christ for their mercy.

The problem is the church is week today. It espouses if you came up on the alter and said a prayer and believe in Jesus that your saved. That’s not true. Without repentance there is no salvation. That’s not being preached anymore. The book of first John gives signs to look for to indicate if we’re saved. Chief among those signs is desire to obey God and doing so.

“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”
    ‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬
    These things are not mentioned anymore.
    • CuteNerd9

If you don't mind me asking; what denomination are you? I used to think the same, that no one preaches the importance of repentance, but my church does.

• I’d consider myself to be reformed baptist. My church preaches repentance too, so many don’t. I think it’s not good because it gives people false hope regarding their salvation. They may think they’re saved because they said a prayer and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. The problem is that it’s not just about who confesses to be a sinner and accepts Jesus. There must be a change of heart that comes with being born again. There must be repentance. One must reform their behavior. Repentance can’t save but it’s evidence of salvation. A changed life. This is consistent with the new nature one receives when being born again.

It seems often these things are not mentioned. Repentance and salvation are 2 sides of the same coin.

• PonyCarGirl98
    I agree.. they find it offensive because our society has changed so much over the centuries, to where gospel doesn't always "fit" into a lifestyle they've cultivated in which sin is engrained.. this is why you sometimes see the most avid "church-goers" leading double lives...
  • triff
    Many points with in the bible can be questioned and are designed to be Offensive maybe but what is offensive and what is positive This is why there are so many different versions but one thing they all have in common is searching for Truth Love and above all Peace So to the people who are offended must be misinterpreted the meaning
  • SnowyOwl
    It was written in different times, and addressing different mentality of civilization. We can surely learn from it, but we surely outgrow it. Although there's 1 thing that will never change in time, and that is love. Love thyself, and thy neighbor as thy self. Get that right every single day you live on this earth, and you've transcended.
  • Prof_Don
    The desires of the flesh are very strong! It’s painful for people to come to grips with how sinful they are living, which is why some resist the gospel so vehemently initially.
  • JackSmy
    I don't think this is the proper forum for religious discussions, yet some keep bringing these here. Why?
  • Natashakir72
    The f? I thought the gospel was something about christianity?
  • Because they hate slavery and misogyny.
  • Because of their personal sins