As a Christian, this is how I view a lot of therapy groups

To me a lot of therapy and remedial groups are an insulting waste of resources because they teach people to engage their selfish instincts instead of granting them the dignity and self esteem of a hard and honest day’s level of productivity or work.

It’s a sin to teach people about hobbies and interests and food not about compassion and philanthropy and healthy eating with bodily fitness. Why are we training physically handicapped people to participate in the special olympics when we can teach them math or physics or education or religion so that they can be real productive members of society and not some celebrity tax dollars liability who fights imaginary battles in an imaginary world. If people really respected disabled people they would give them responsibility and not drain their dignity away in frivolous entertainment.

The purpose of life is to serve and worship God. Feeding somebody steak dinners and driving them to concerts without teaching them how to love or encourage or bless or serve is degrading and demeaning and work only to make them forget their purpose rather than adding it. Pleasure has no value - what matters is meaning and purpose and love.

7
0

Most Helpful Guys

• Jjpayne
    It sounds like you are pretty firm and decided about this but let me try to unpack this.

"It’s a sin to teach people about hobbies and interests"
    Chronicles of narnia, is considered by many to be a Christian themed novel and the same author when on to make a specifically Christian bible based book. First of all, being a novelist or author can be and is a hobby for many, second, the author had the intention of readers reading a fantasy based novel. That is just a small piece but that quote while it has truth to it, is not completely true.

Therapy also in itself, it's helpful. And we could look at that simply based by testimony and there are many christian therapy places. Therapy has been around for many years and there is likely a good reason for that.

Now onto boosting self esteem. I think it's sinful to be too prideful or selfish but we need self confidence to live in this world. To simply work in a job or even write a book, we need the confidence in ourselves and our abilities to do that. And simply in prayer, I've heard many many times of people lifting each other up, allowing God to pass on wisdom and confidence to help them.

The final thing,

"Why are we training physically handicapped people to participate in the special olympics when we can teach them math or physics or education or religion so that they can be real productive members of society"

Because life is more than work. We live to work but we also live to rest. God rested and so should we. However, sports is a form of rest and entertainment is a form of release. We have always had ways to entertain ourselves and pass the time. We simply have more modern ways of doing that now and they are always evolving. All that to say, olympics can be a part of our rest and olympics are a part of the human spirit. Showing what we are capable of.

But I will end on this thought, you can't force people to do things or think a certain way, it is their choice.

There is a movie where an artist lost both his arms and legs. He wanted to die, for people to end his life. Because he could not see anything else meaningful for him to do. Given, it's a selfish idea but this stems from people being wired a certain way. I could tell you, that you need to right christian worship music for the rest of your life and that's all you were allowed to do. But it's not fair to do that because that's not who you are and not where your gift is. Watching a movie like woodlawn or facing the giants are both christian based movies on something that is sports focused. I can't fully unpack this for you and fully have the conversation you need but the concepts you are talking about are not as cut and dry, they are more complicated than that.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Bluemax

What's the name of the movie?

• Jjpayne

Bluemax, those life is it anyway

• Jjpayne

Thank you for the mho 😊

• Bluemax
    "Why are we training physically handicapped people to participate in the special olympics when we can teach them math or physics or education or religion so that they can be real productive members of society and not some celebrity tax dollars liability who fights imaginary battles in an imaginary world."

What? Disabled people who participate in the wheelchair olympics *are* taught math, physics, and other things. It isn't an either or deal. As for the special olympics (different from the wheelchair olympics), they too are taught other things. If you're implying that they are wasting their time training in something that they can't make a living off of, I'll draw your attention to the fact that the overwhelming majority of Olympians do *not* make their living off their olympic sport. Wresters, archers, bikers, etc., make very little off endorsements and almost all of them have day jobs.

Those who participate in the special and wheelchair olympics *do* become productive members of society, insofar as their disabilities will allow. To say nothing of the fact that, like their olympian counterparts or other professional athletes, they inspire people to do better. My brother participated in the 1977 wheelchair olympics. He took home three gold medals in marksmanship. He's also full time employed as a makeup artist and part time as a counselor. Arguably he is at least as productive as you.

As far as staying fit and healthy eating, isn't that part of being an olympic athlete? Besides, being healthy and being moral are on two completely parallel tracks. By all accounts, prior to WW II, Hitler was very healthy in the 1930s. He kept active. He ate healthy. He didn't smoke. He didn't drink. I'm all for being healthy for the sake of your health, but that has *NOTHING* to do with whether you're a good person... at all.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

05
  • pajamasam
    Freeze frame for a second.

Imagine you have a handicapped child. And he/she just heard all of that.

Donr bullshit me you felt terrible, its because you have a heart like the rest of us humans who want to do the best. Your lying if your saying your tune wouldn't change if it was your son or daughter.

These types of statements are what originally made me question my faith ya know. How can God be a loving God if he hates everything.
  • Massageman
    I totally agree with your last paragraph, and I am a Christian.

That's why I found it hard to believe the first two came from the same person, and particularly paragraph two.
    Quick example - Maybe people could be led to share their "sinful" hobbies with others in His name. I just don't see this as an "either-or" situation. Amen.
  • REALSTEEL
    i went due too 2 attempts of suicide cause of my parent's the group actually helped me
  • Z1pTD
    First off, I’m a Christian. lot of what you say is true. That said, you present your case very poorly and come across as someone who is trying to make Christians look bad. Yes, people need to be taught about work ethic more than hobbies. Yes, it might be better for some handicapped people to become math geniuses instead of people who play sports. BUT, don’t treat handicapped people differently. I know several handicapped people well, and all of them tell me that what they appreciate most is being treated as normal, intelligent people who have more in life than just sports. Also, pleasure does have value. God commanded us to obey him that we might be blessed and bring glory to him.
    Again, you state your opinion in such a thoughtlessly rude manner that I have trouble believing you are not a trolled.
  • Calgarydirty69
    why? were all going to die YOUR bible says so