HAPPINESS! - What it really is, and why we strive for it our entire lives!

WHAT IS REAL HAPPINESS?

Is it a relationship? ... is it a soul mate, a partner for life? ... is it solitude? ... is it fame? ...fortune? ...is it children? ...is it an exotic island all of your own? ...is it owning your own business? ...is it a mansion on a hill? ... how about a guardian angel, or a spiritual experience? ... your own jet airplane? ... peace and quiet? ... possessions? ... power? ... loving yourself? ...having a purpose in life?

Happiness is different things to different people. What it is to you is what ever it takes to make YOU happy.

Synonyms: contentment, pleasure, contentedness, satisfaction, cheerfulness, cheeriness, merriment, merriness, gaiety, joy, joyfulness, joyousness, joviality, jollity, jolliness, glee, blitheness, carefreeness, gladness, delight, good spirits, high spirits, light-heartedness, good cheer, well-being, enjoyment, felicity.

But wait! ...I'm just getting started! ...

Why is happiness such a simple thing yet, at times, seemingly so illusive and hard for us to find, and obtain, on a consistent basis?

Life enters the picture.

Ever have something happen to dampen your enthusiasm and someone say ..."Well, that's life" or ..."Life Happens"?

Yes, it is and yes, it does. We wish we could control every day events in our life ...but guess what? ...we can't.

But does that mean that we can not still be happy? Well yes, to some extent, at least temporarily, we will be sad, mad, agitated, irritable, angry or any of a hundred other feelings about it.

We will find it hard to maintain a "happiness" state of mind at all times, no matter how good things may be going for us.

What is it that will make us truly happy? ... or do we even know?

Is happiness really fleeting... there one minute and gone the next?

Happiness is triggered in each of us in some similar, yet many different ways.

For some, it doesn't take much to make us happy ...but for others it takes a whole lot to stimulate our "enjoyment" and/or "smile" buttons.

For some of us, it is as easy as seeing a smiling baby, but for others the pendulum has swung as far over as to it being some strong personal scenes of BDSM to bring a temporary bout of happiness release, if you want to call it that.

Happiness is mostly a "state of mind" as you consider the way you view life. For example, take this proverb ...

"You can either complain that rose bushes have thorns or rejoice that thorn bushes have roses"

Do you see the glass as half full or half empty?

What about reality? Everyday can't be a happy day, right?

Of course not!

We all know that and have our "bad days", as we call them ...when nothing seems to go right, no matter how hard we try.

We feel hated, despised, ridiculed, ashamed, lonely, hurt, isolated, depressed, anxious and a whole host of other negative attributes that appear to haunt us.

But, do we find the answer to the question in yet another proverb? ...

"We have no right to ask, when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" ...unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way"

How can you gain true, lasting and permanent happiness?

For me helping others is the greatest way to help yourself and bring true and lasting happiness into your life.

Volunteer for CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) or the Red Cross or your local Women and Children's Shelter, or any number of other good causes, if you really want to feel happiness and contentment for yourself, not to count what blessings and happiness you will bring into the lives of scores of others along the way.

"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you" ~John Wooden, college basketball coach

If life's simple everyday positive events can make you happy, than you are on the road to true happiness ...it's called contentment.

It's simply being content with what you have and what good things God, or life, has given you, however few they may be, without the use of drugs or alcohol to try and get there.

No, that is not to say that you can not strive to reach higher goals in your life, but at the end of the day, know that you have done what you can to get where you want to go, and spread a little cheer and happiness to others along your journey!

Please listen to Mr Pharrell's "HAPPY" song and see in the video the displays of what seems to be the happiest people on earth, just enjoying everyday life for what ever it is. He even starts the song with these words ..."It might sound crazy what I'm bout to say" ...and then goes on to explain the simple joys of life that bring happiness to many people.

If you can do this, and enjoy life's simple pleasures, you can experience and know what happiness truly is! ...LISTEN :) ...

Wishing you the experience of REAL HAPPINESS every possible day of your life! ...I LOVE YOU!

1123

Most Helpful Girls

• There are as many happiness definitions as there people on the face of this earth.

For me happiness is a multifaceted term but that is a very fragile definition because the perception can change from one second to another.

I don't need riches to be happy. I beautiful flower, a nice piece of music, a sunset or any of the simple things in life make me happy.

However, those happy moments are interrupted so many times every day. I get very emotional when I see sad events, a child crying from pain or mostly a human interaction that is perceived negatively.

But again there are those unforgettable moments like that very one under

Have you ever been held like that? ↗

Those are moments where I feel that my heart is jumping out of my rib cage because I feel trusted by someone sufficiently enough to hold onto you for support.

Those kind of small, perhaps insignificant moments and gestures to others, are the ones that make me happy.

And when someone looks up to you for recognition and appreciative that you left a quarter or 2 in their hat on the street, then I am happy for having helped that individual to get perhaps his/her only hot meal of the day.

Yes, but the greatest happiness of them all is being healthy. No other happiness comes even close to that one.

• I enjoyed this! I feel that my mental state of happiness is at it's prime when I'm choosing to focus on giving my energy to faith, trust and love from my heart to myself- especially after the pain. I feel there is more power in the happiness that I choose to invite for myself- I don't feel I have the right understanding to know anyone enough to doom them with my limited understanding of what would be considered happiness for them- so I focus on giving to myself so that at least I am not bringing anyone down <3

• You are definitely going in the right direction Ms SC!

NEVER GIVE UP!

... and thank you so much for taking the time to read this myTake and letting me know that you like it!

That means a lot :)

I agree with what you are saying!

• @loplooooll No, thank you

Most Helpful Guys

• Happiness is a life lived with freedom, both physical freedom and freedom from fear, a sound mind and a healthy body. I said that. "Freedom from fear" encompasses most every evil you can think of;
    prejudice, bigotry, ignorance, hatred, injustice, inequality, and so on. Those are really just fears manifesting in slightly different ways.
    Also keeping in mind what author and poet Emma Lazarus, who was born into a wealthy Jewish family but faced oppressions of her own said,
    “Until we are all free, we are none of us free. ” Very similar to Nelson Mandela's "No one is free while others are oppressed".

• Maybe my opinion is a bit weird but I think that in the end, you build your own happiness.
    You could have an amazing partner, riches and everything you could wish for, but in the end you decide if you are happy or not about it.

For me personally, happiness is valuing and find joy in the positive things you have and being serene towards your worries, be them current or future.

Join the discussion

921
  • Happiness is subjective so it's up to you what that is. Society as a whole usually through media subliminally influence others that through money and relationships are the only avenues to happiness. Which is why many probably aren't as happy as they let on. Cuz they didn't follow their on path or do things for their own reasons but due to peer pressure. Additionally is more about the journey then it is the goal itself which many seem to forget.

• Happiness is when who you believe yourself to be and who you behave as are in alignment.

• i can give you the definition happiness sad to say this caring no one nothing just caring yourself loving yourself and feel independent have your money and being numb cuz i think all the pp in life actually wasting you wasting your time energy your feelings they give you happiness and take more than that give you grief mostly am happy to be alone i wish i never changed it

• Happiness is doing what you want to do, without anticipation, expectation, or inhibition. We experience unhappiness because we desire something else than the current situation. Happiness is the doing what you want in the current situation minus expectations, future desires.

• happiness is a perspective. a decision to look at things a certain way. that's all there is to it. some people think happyness is drowing ones brain in serotonine and dopamine but that's not how it works.

• 100% agreed it’s all about the perspective!

• you’re very intelligent, I like way you look at things. And this point if yours made clear sense

• @melekarduc i'm not intelligent :D that's just the 20 years i've been around longer than you ;) but thanks anyway ^^

• Happiness is different for all of us. For some it's a positive relationship, others it might be money, the list can go on forever. For myself Happyness is been alive and surrounding myself with good solid friends.

• Thing about happiness is that no matter how far we swing towards sad or happy we will eventually stabilize back to a neutral standing.
    But being content, it can last a whole lot longer, a lifetime in fact, and it makes it a whole lot easier to become happy.

• I don't seek happiness. I seek contentment. Being happy all of the time is unsustainable. Even if you're one of those happy, smiley people with an extra dopamine reservoir, when tragedy or bad adversity happens what's the very first thing to go? We actually aren't wired to be happy all of the time. Because of this kids and adults are unnecessarily and overly medicated for life. We go too far out of our way to avoid pain in the western world. Pain is that signal that tells us something may be wrong, but it also tells us we're not dead yet. Without pain and suffering, there is no contrast, no texture to life. There's also no growth.

• Thank God it's not difficult for me to find happiness since it's so easy to please me. Plus, I refuse to let sadness or anger win over me.

• The time when i am with a girl on bed, i hug her, kiss her from too close. I can cry like a baby for my pains at that moment. I can be open about my choices with her and there is no judgements. That time i get happiness

• there is no such thing as happiness only the lack of pain

• Ayn Rand has the best description of what happiness is that I have yet to read. Since reading her perspective on it I have been reading about other happiness perspectives and I haven’t seen any better than hers.

Unfortunately I can’t describe it. At least not accurately. Plus there’s so much ignorant BS about her out there demonizing her that even if I could describe it as she says, it wouldn’t matter, peoples frame of mind is already that she is evil.

But if you ask me, her philosophy of happiness is by far the best and when I read it and understand it I know it is the truth.

• Real happiness is getting mental peace and happiness in anything or whatever you do that makes you happy.
    And happiness when it comes to sexuality is only getting physical pleasure.

• A lot of people have their own idea of what happiness is, so I don't agree there's one universal, real concept for it.

There's no need to validate your own notion by putting it above others, if that's your intention.

• Yes, you are right again Mr BE!

That's why the very first paragraph listed 15-20 different things that might bring someone happiness. Later I listed what it was "For me..."

... and yes "For me..." I do put that above all others. I'm not sure though how you came to the conclusion that I was insisting that it must be the same "For you", as nothing could be further from the truth, just simply some ideas and suggestions.

Sorry it offended you :( , as that is certainly not a good way to help someone be happy :)

• It didn't offend me, but you give a vibe as if you assumed you had found a final, global truth about happiness that explains everyone's take on it.

• Yes, I understand what you are saying. I'm just not sure where the word "everyone's" comes from. I clearly stated "For me..."

I guess that just illustrates how easily misunderstandings can put a wrinkle in an otherwise "happy" day :)

• Don't believe it's any of the above ivory happiness is a state of mind

• Help people. Happy that you have tried to make peoples life that bit better. Thats when makes me happy...

• I think the real happiness is when we can be grateful for what we already have...

• Happiness lies in little things like helping someone, playing with kids or pets, cooking favorite food for your loved ones, praying god..

• To me happiness is a choice, a choice I make for myself constantly.

• Happiness is with in setting goals and achieving them.

• Peace & quite, loving yourself and having purpose in life :)

• Why? Because who, besides my brother, grandfather and aunt would WANT to bitch 24/7?

• The reason for everyone's happiness is different. No one can judge and decide anyone's happiness.

• Happiness is a part of life... Just not the meaning of it.

• What is if someone don't know any sort of happiness like someone is all time in pain and sadness maybe always in unlucky situations what is then.

• Food

• enjoy the moment

• Interesting myTake

• Get Up m'y bed

• What is this