Why I refuse to make exceptions for different races, genders, religions etc.

I'm a white, I'm straight, I'm cis and I'm athiest. I'll be honest. I won't make exceptions for people who are of a different race or ethnicity. I won't make exceptions for homosexuals, bisexuals or asexuals. I won't make exceptions for transgender people. And I won't make exceptions for other religions.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking:

What a racist, homophobic, transphobic bigot. She has no respect.

And from that, I'd say you were right. We see so much media now about discrimination against certains groups (like those mentioned above) and what I just said would make me seem really intolerent. But I'd like to explain. This is my honest opinion.

• It is not my duty in life to respect somebody for being of a different race.
  • It is not my duty in life to respect somebody because they have different sexual preferences.
  • It is not my duty in life to respect somebody because they're trans and I'm cis.
  • It is not my duty in life to respect somebody because of their religion

I don't care that you're black. I don't care that you're gay. I don't care that you're trans. I don't care that you're religious.

Because I love you anyway.

You see, I won't hate you because of these things. But I won't be nice to you because you're different and I might be called prejudiced if I don't.

• My duty isn't to respect you because of who you are.

It is my duty in life is to respect you because you are a person.

My views are quite simple. I don't care what gender, race, religion or sexuality you are. If you are nice to me, I'm nice to you. We're both people, and that's it.

I won't make exceptions, because I don't need to. Because those things shouldn't matter to anybody but yourself.

I hope this has explained why I won't make exceptions for people, because I treat everyone equally and as well as I can.

3
5

Most Helpful Guy

• FakeName123
    Respect is earned, not granted. What you are talking about is common courtesy.

Also disagreeing with a minority doesn't equal hating them.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I'm agree with you- I was just saying that everyone deserves to be proud of who they are and they should be respected no matter who they are. I believe in giving respect to everyone, it's their choices that lose them that respect.

• Everyone should be able to be proud on themselves - that doesn't mean though that everyone has to agree with you and your lifestyle choices. If you do certain things I do not agree with, than that naturally will reduce the respect I have for you.

Most Helpful Girl

• checkyesjulietx
    totally agree. i especially hate when you disagree with a person in a minority group and people say you're racist, homophobic etc.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I agree! I'm not disagreeing because they're a minority, it's just a coincidence.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

42
  • COCOCHANEL
    i agree with you
  • Bards
    Really good take! I totally agree
  • elamn123456
    you have to respect people, you get me fam?
  • Anonymous
    So true I agree and love u!
  • Anonymous
    Respect is a positive feeling of admiration and is therefore something earned by action or personal achievements, not owed because of common humanity.

Common courtesy however, is owed by all toward all, anything less is cause for justified disrespect.

The word respect is abused, we don't owe respect, it's always earned.
  • Anonymous
    It is your duty to respect other people. You are plain normal and don't know sh*t about how much the people you mentioned suffer every f*cking day because they are NOT white, straight and/or cis.
    • I understand that they suffer a lot I'm just saying that nobody should be a victim because of those things. And I literally said it's your duty to respect everyone- that's the point.

• angelling

Respect is earned, not given. No matter what race/sexuality/religion, if that person is disrespectful themselves then respect does not have to be given. Respect someone based on who they are and how they behave not just because they are of a different race/sexuality/religion, that was the point of this take.

• um no. lol. here's an example. i knew a black guy who was also gay. i wasn't nice to him and i wasn't mean to him. we ended up working together and he was a total ass to me. mind you i really dont care if someone is gay or straight or whatever they may be. anyway he was the rudest person i've met by far. we would be talking. i would be sharing my thought then all of the sudden he would say "shut up i wanna talk" just because a random thought popped into his head. im not being racist but there are Asians that say that white people are stupid. do we get to DEMAND respect because some idiots (NOT ALL Asians DONT GET ME WRONG) are disrespecting us? no. no one deserves special treatment. gays say that they wanna be equal to straight people yet some go around and demand that we give them special treatment.