"Things Aren't Always What They Seem," "Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover," All Those Cliches

SweetHomicidalQueen

A question was asked: "Do you think people judge based on looks before anything else?"

I said yes because of the so many very true yet overused sayings, like "Looks can be deceiving" etc etc.

For that photo most people would judge the guy by the way he looks, maybe homeless, a creep, weird. They'd assume he'd be holding a machete or something. While with the girl everyone would assume she's sweet and kind and nice, one would assume she's holding flowers or something girly behind her back.

The same for that picture. One would assume the guy is an emo, an asshole, etc. But they'd assume the girl is sweet.

Things aren't always what they seem.

Of course inferences can be made, such as if someone is wearing a Metallica shirt you can infer they are a fan, and like that sort of music. That does not mean you can assume they are a high school drop out that smokes pot.

It isn't necessarily "Okay" to judge someone, but we all do it anyway. That doesn't mean you will always be right or that you should let your judgement cloud how you observe them. If you think someone is looking like an asshole, don't treat them like one. Keep an open mind. Maybe they just have resting bitch face.

This does not make them a bitch, they can't help it.

So the lesson overall I am trying to "shove down your throat" is just don't be a douche bag if you judge someone.

Disclaimer: Letting someone be who they are does not mean you have to accept or like it.

5
6

Most Helpful Girl

• nikki_24
    The pics you posted show the truth. Everyone assumes one thing or another about someone by how they look and its wrong. As a Goth I have met many people who assumed I was a satan worshipping, depressed, angry theif and murderer just for dressing differently and not fitting into society's idea of "normal"
    You can't judge anyone by their looks, you will miss out on meeting good people and maybe put your trust into the wrong person just because they are dressed nice/look innocent etc.
    Good take!
    Is this still revelant?
    • I dress goth also and people think I am a freak, a cutter, someone who sacrifices animals etc. I also wear Polo shirts with casual pants and dress shoes. When dressed like that people think I am nice, caring, sophisticated, intelligent etc. I am not a wannabe. Years ago I was at the library by me online. I was wear jeans, running shoes and a solid color t-shirt. There was no problems. The next time I went I was wearing pants with straps and zippers on them, big boots with flames and 7 inch heels, collar, band shirt from a rock/ metal 1 day festival etc. I was on the exactly same sites as before like facebook, my email, site with recipe ideas stuff like that and they had a problem with me. I was on facebook with a picture showing someone in a bikini that I went to school with. They told me that I could not be looking at that. I showed them a video of me at the library looking at the same exact picture wearing the non goth clothes I described. I then told the young lady no one had a

• problem until I was dressed lIke I am which is gothic. I could go on more about it but the point I am trying to make is people will judge you on how you look. A women in a pink dress with heels, her hair done up, and light makeup could be into BDSM. The guy with a jean jacket, punk rock/metal band t-shirt, liberty spiked hair, tattoos and a septum piercing could be the type into musical theater and gardening. My point us you may not fully know how a person is just by how they look.

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    Good take
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

54
  • FallOutBoy2001
    I actually sent the emo/punk and little girl picture to my art teacher for an assignment about art that spoke to you with the caption "the guy is me. All the time. People assume I worship to devil or do drugs, but I'm really just a straightedge kid who has no clue what's going on and would just like a hug and a slice of pizza"
  • lazermazer
    Great take. It happens with me all the time. I have resting bitch face and most people assume that i am an asshole but i m not, i am very generous and talk only when necessary.
  • jjmarvin
    I luv the emo look. Some may think I'm trying to be edgycool but i like emo/korean and crazy fashion.
  • Pilulu
    The resting bitch face syndrome describes me perfectly. I can't tell you how many times people assumed that I'm a depressed/Angry/annoyed/sad. I like this myTake
  • alice55
    Your post scare me (the first pic) it's 3h27 in my country
  • meatballs21
    You will be judged based on the image you choose to present to the rest of the world. You cannot prevent this from happening.
  • Zorax
    Exactly, I agree 100%, great Take 👍
  • ChocoLada
    Cool myTake :D
  • SnowHearth
    Nice!.