Why Do We Even Listen to Society? Body Shaming is WRONG

FinnishBeautyGirl

Since when did we start to be too skinny or fat to be happy?

Since when did people start to go to surgeries just because they thought they weren't attractive enough? You don't have an answer, do you?

We are all fragile human beings. Why did we let the society to evolve to be like this?

My own experience about this is that apparently I'm too "fat" (5'5 64kg) to be attractive. What the fuck? According to society I should be looking like this:

Well, okay. Let's just get over THE FACT, that I'll never look like that. And it's just alright.

Why do curvy girls shame skinny ones? And the other way around? Why? Will it make you feel better about yourself? Probably not.

To me....

I also hate how people are body-shaming men.

Just stop doing this, people. Why do we have to make people cry? Why are we wasting time on making others feel bad? We only have one life to live. Better make it worth-it!

Just be yourself, dear people - everybody else is already taken. ๐Ÿ’™

#bodyshaming #BATTLEROYALE #TeamRJ

~Isela๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿ’™

51
14
14Girl Opinion
51Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Fathoms77
    Body-shaming is indeed wrong. It just adds to the rampant self-esteem and self-image problem that is turning into an epidemic.

I do, however, reserve the right to call someone out who refuses to take responsibility for his or her own life, and flush their health down the toilet. Because it's not THEY who pay the price but all the rest of us... in a world of socialized medicine, the healthy pay for the unhealthy. Take away somebody's pristine health insurance and watch how fast they start caring for themselves. When everyone has to pay for everyone else, than everyone's health is everyone's business.

It's a system doomed to fail but hey, it's what we've chosen.
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • What about people who have health issues that don't smoke, drink heavily, and have bad diets?

Those people you mentioned exists but should people go bankrupt because they can't afford health insurance, medicine and treatments?

For example, I almost had to drop out of college when I broke my wrist. A good chunk of my college savings went to pay off medical bills instead.

• Fathoms77

@bloodmountain1990 It isn't difficult to determine what is self-inflicted and what isn't, despite our desperate desire to create a gray area for everything. Insurance was always meant to cover the accidental, the things we can't possibly control; it was never meant to give us all license to live like slobs and continually steal from everyone else in order to keep doing so.

• Yes, and I am not excusing that but just because there's people abusing the system and living like slobs doesn't mean it should be ruined for the people who truly need health care and have a freak accident or get sick from something not self induced.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    No matter what we do, no matter where we go, we will always find judgmental behavior and thought. However, instead of constantly trying to defend ourselves all the time, we should listen to the criticisms with a grain of salt. The criticisms may seem hurtful, but if we take them with a grain of salt, we can convert the hurt into help. Maybe we can lose some weight. Maybe we can fix our hair. Maybe we can dress in a different outfit, in style, on budget. But ultimately, it's important to value yourself regardless of what you look like or what you have. And if people reject you for being you, then they have a diversity problem.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1350
  • RationalMale
    Is it wrong to shame people for drinking too much, since consuming alcohol will damage your health or possibly mess up your life?

Is it wrong to shame people for smoking, since that can give you a hundred different health problems?

Then why is it wrong to shame obese people, for the fact that obesity can give you a hundred different health problems?
    LikeDisagree 23 People
    • Emmdk

At the beginning she writes that we should encourage people instead of shaming them. So instead of shaming a fat person for being fat, we should really just try to help them into realizing it would be better to lose some weight

• Shorty1991

I have no sympathy for those people, but yes it is wrong to shame them since its their lives and has nothing to do with you. You think that shaming them is going to make them listen to you. No. Body shamers are people who choose to pick on others to make themselves feel better. Or they just have nothing going on in their boring lives when all they can do is pick on people

• You're missing the entire point...
      Shaming is wrong. Regardless of what - if they're doing it only to themselves. Would you shame a suicidal person for being suicidal?
      Think a little...

• Hidden_P
    Fully with you.

But I do believe full body acceptance is wrong. We need that line that says "love you need a diet" but the rules correctly are so fine and it's ridiculous. I agree with you.
    Like 3 People
  • MaLifeBeLikeOooAaah
    Humans are sheep and insecure pussies that's why they follow the crowd.

But encouraging the ignorant fat people won't work... They should know they're costing the government money, wasting time and damaging themselves mentally and physically. You can encourage them however with responses like "I'm beatiful being big" annoys me... fact, you're not.

Nice my take :)
    Like 2 People
  • 3Didnt7say
    Why do we listen to the society? You're forgetting that we ARE the society if you want change then go out there and be the change you want there to be. Don't ask other people to do what you're not doing and even if they don't you can't really force them to like what you like ever. I'm trying to be negative here but its the naked truth no sugar coating, HUAMNITY can never fixed the reason being that your version of a better world and my version of better are completely different to each other and or the next person. So the closest we're ever gon' get to a perfect world is by really being what we want the change to look like and hope for the best. Because from i can see society NEVER stick up for skinny people or even try to build up the skinny people's confidence its always feel sorry for FAT people and boost their confidence by bringing down skinny people because somehow people have it screwed in their head that's you can't complain about being skinny unless you anorexic skinny or really FAT or on the chubby side anything inbtween that get overlooked😏🙄.
    Like 1 Person
  • Winter_Storm_Guy
    I like this very well done thanks for sharing your awesome
    i agree it's wrong to shame people based on their body image
    or their body size we are all normal it's society that has the problem

:) ;) :D :-)
    Like 1 Person
  • Hopefuldreamer8
    Mine isn't really about my body even though I do work out and eat healthy. It's about my face. I don't have an attractive face, so I work hard at trying to have a nice body to compensate for that, but it doesn't work. The face is more important than the body, and if it wasn't for the fact that I want to be healthy, I probably would have let myself go a long time ago. I actually have when I was in High School. When I was a teen, I let myself go because I was bullied about my face so much. When I hit my 20's, I started to cry because I realized I let my health and body go. So I worked hard on getting a nice body again.

I just turned 30 today, and I used to hope that once I hit a certain age, people would stop caring so much, but unfortunately that hasn't happened for me yet. So instead, I plan to try hard in my 30's not to care so much about what people think and just enjoy life. It's something I should have started in my 20's instead of wasting them worrying about what people thought. I know it's going to take some time, and it won't happen overnight. However, I don't want to spend my 30's avoiding going out in crowds just because someone might make a snide remark about my face. I don't want to wait until I am old and grey to wait for acceptance. It's something I have to work on even on the internet. I never talk about it around people I know. It's something I keep to myself, and I act happy around everyone. Now I am going to try and turn that to real happiness. So I need to do my best to do what people have been telling me for years to do. Think positive thoughts.

I might even write a MyTake on it.
  • Ratiocinative
    Does being fat make you a bad person? No, it doesn't, but being fat does make you unhealthy, less attractive, and less happy.

At 5'5" 143lbs I'd have to guess that you're a little chubby, unless you lift weights often and are stronger than most other women your height. Does that make you unattractive? No, but I guarantee if you lost 10-20 lbs you would see a huge difference in your social and romantic life.

Ask any man or woman who has gone from obese or even just overweight, to extremely fit with abs, and they will tell you the difference is night and day, especially when you lose the last 10-20 lbs and your jaw and abs really start to show. You will go from little to no attention from the opposite sex, to them coming up to you all the time.

You're only 15, so I assume you're in high school. Kids tease all the time in high school for anything they can think of. In the real world, adults rarely care what you look like as long as you aren't trying to tell people what to think. If a fat woman goes around telling people that she's beautiful and that anyone who doesn't think she is just can't handle a real woman, then yes, people will probably mock her mercilessly.

If, on the other hand, a fat woman acts like a normal person, and just has normal friendly conversation with people, and doesn't go around telling men they need to say she's beautiful or else they're part of the oppressive patriarchal society, then people aren't going to care what you weigh.

Sure, there are some people out there who are jerks and make fun of fat people for no reason, but one thing everyone needs to learn in life is that unless you've done something to offend someone, people treat you based upon how they feel about themselves, not how they feel about you. If some random stranger comes up and insults you for no reason, I can guarantee its because they are unhappy with themselves. If someone is happy and enjoying their life then the though of insulting some random stranger for no reason won't even cross their mind.
  • dipta
    It's funny how the fault lies always with somebody else.
    I'm not saying that there isn't body shaming and that it doesn't pay a cruel part in the diet's world, but there are many people who belittle themselves spontaneously, i. e. they envy the body of other people without anyone even having said anything to them. Gotta blame the mirrors then.
    Like 1 Person
  • Red_Arrow
    Outstanding myTake. It would be nice if a lot of people get on board with it!
    Like 1 Person
  • nog6422

Well we've only really started getting fat in the last century or so. Before that only people like kings were fat and they were pretty happy.

Since when did people start to go to surgeries just because they thought they weren't attractive enough?

For thousands of years according to Wikipedia.

You don't have an answer, do you?

Actually I do.

Why did we let the society to evolve to be like this?

Why wouldn't we?

My own experience about this is that apparently I'm too "fat" (5'5 64kg) to be attractive. What the fuck?

That's actually about a 23.6 BMI which is completely normal. Not fat by any standards.

Why do curvy girls shame skinny ones?

Not all do. Some do because they want to feel better about themselves.

And the other way around? Why?

Again, not all do. But some do to feel better about themselves.

Will it make you feel better about yourself?

Apparently so.

Why do we have to make people cry? Why are we wasting time on making others feel bad?

What do you mean "we"? I don't do that.
  • Chromekids
    At the same time their has to be a clear distinction on body shaming an otherwise healthy person and calling a morbidly obese person out. Obesity in the US has become a plague costing billions in medical bills. It effect productivity, confidence, and health. Body shaming is one thing but saying it's okay for kids to self inflict diabetes and heart disease is another.
    Like 1 Person
  • ouchthathurt
    Beauty Standards are only used to get a rough estimate on how attractive someone of the same sex would be. Determining the attractiveness of someone of the opposite sex is instinctual and doesn't follow some kind of standards set by society.
    Like 1 Person
  • takumii
    Like 4 People
  • jjmarvin
    Except dick size. It's so acceptable to make fun of we used it during our presidential election ad nauseum. So basically every girl in this country laughed their asses off for months and didn't give a shit about body shaming then. Yup, I'm the only one it's ok to make fun of. Whatever, girls are evil and hateful and hurting the guys they see as garbage makes them happy.
    Like 1 Person
  • lost_alice
    I feel bad about myself but it isn't because people make me feel this away or because I don't look like models I just feel weird... great take
    LikeDisagree 2 People
  • Satanic666Deathslut
    Nice take on this! Your questions are always amazing and I truly agree with you. It is society and mainstream media shoving down their standards upon us. Society as a whole, is screwed up. Nobody deserves to be shamed, people should be encouraged. :)
  • AhGojira
    Everything you said is bullshit. Stop putting all the weight on your body/looks. If you're self esteem is tied to the amount of positive sexual attention you gain while attention whoring, then you deserve to fall on your face. Develop yourself as a well rounded human.
  • Nothanks700
    I think it's messed up when people make snide comments about me being skinny. Why is that acceptable? Would you make comments to someone about them being fat? Ofcousrre not, that's incredibly insensitive and rude. Just don't comment on people's body shape; take care of your own how you want- that's it.
  • ParamountArmada
    most "body shaming" comes from other girls being jealous of other girls and girls tend to only listen to other girls because they are all gay and bi-sexual now.
    no girl cares about guys opinions.
    Like 1 Person
  • Kuraj
    "Well, okay. Let's just get over THE FACT, that I'll never look like that. And it's just alright."

No it's not alright, and that is the damn point.
    Positive encouragement isn't gonna do shit, because people like you just refuse to acknowledge there is a problem.
    Criticism at least gets the damn point across.

How do you suggest we "motivate and encourage" you to do anything when you simply don't want to do anything?
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Show More (43)