Canadian Lingo w/ RJ - Teaching You How to Talk Like a Real Canuck

RJGraveyTrain

I know, I haven’t written a Take in forever. Sorry folks, #life happens. But fear not, there are a few on the way in the near future.

I have a little time today and after recently visiting some family, I was inspired to do a little Take that covers some of the common and stereotypical Canadian lingo/sayings. Why? Because it’s funny and you may get a kick out of it too, and perhaps even find something useful. Why not spice up the good ol’ vocab, am I right?

Of course, I think it’s standard for me to note that not all of us Canadians talk in that silly little accent, and certainly not all of us use this language, but I was surprised to see just how many of my fellow Canadians actually subconsciously do. So, without keeping you in further suspense, here’s some True North and Strong Canadian lingo!

Sally/Skirt

The use of the term “Sally” and “Skirt” is intended to be an insult. Yep, it’s an insult, try not to feminist rage over it, but it is. If someone ever tells you to quit being a “Sally” or a “Skirt”, they are literally telling you to stop being a wimp or a whiner. Or, in more common American terms to: “stop being such a pussy.”

Obviously, the term comes from the concept that acting whiney or wimpy is associated with being a girl, similar to the common use of the term “like a girl.”

Don’t get too bent out of shape though, it’s just old Canadian country speak.

“Jeez, would ya stop being such a Sally aboot it? It's fuckin' embarrassing.”

“Quit yer’ squealing, you’re acting like a total skirt.”

Darts/Havin’ a Dart

If you ever hear any Canadian going on aboot needin’ a dart or asking you if you have one, they aren’t talking about the kind you toss at a peg board at the bar. They’re talking about cigarettes.

Obviously the term is likely derived very much from the popular bar game, where many old school Canadian hicks pair beers with a good ol’ cigarette.

“Don’t suppose you’ve got a dart to spare?”

“Fuckin’ Leafs lost again, damn it, I’m havin’ a dart. Fuck this.”

Deke or Deke Out

Speaking of hockey, if you ever hear of anybody dekein’ out while you’re watching a hockey game, the Canuck speaker is referring to a “fake out”, essentially.

A deke out is literally when you’re making like you’re about to go one way or do one thing, then change your position and tactic at the last minute, leaving your pursuer or opponent confused.

“He was takin’ the puck over center ice with the number niner ridin’ his blades, then deked him out last minute and scored on net.”

Deke or deke out doesn’t just refer to hockey however, you can also deke people out in other situations where faking out is appropriate. Also, deke is a common term that can also be used to describe sucker punching someone.

“He deked him right in the head while he was havin’ a wiz behind the bar, cheap fuckin’ shot if you ask me bud.”

The Use of: Eh?

Literally, all eh is used for is to emphasize a point or a question or to gain acknowledgement about something you said or agreed with. You can use it alone or in conjunction with both a genuine question and a rhetorical one, though the ladder is more common. Think of it in the same way you would use “I know, right?” It’s that simple.

“No kiddin’, eh?”

^ Providing emphasis/seeking acknowledgement of a statement, identical to the use of “I know right?”

It can also be used in the same context as “Don’t you think?” Or “Do you agree?”

“That there was a bad fucking storm eh?”

Hoser/Hose-head & Keener

You’ve probably heard hoser a few times when seeing Canadian stereotypes portrayed in movies, but a lot of the times this term is used in a far more endearing way than it was ever intended. It’s the abbreviated form of hose-head, which literally refers to an unsophisticated person or even a hick. That’s right, it’s a derogatory term.

“He’s a right hose-head that one. He wouldn’t know the difference between a damn TV dinner and a hot meal made at mum’s if you wrote it down plainly in mashed potatoes.”

“Guy can’t be bothered to buy his own damn darts so he’s always tryin’ to bum em off me whenever I spark one up. Damn hoser needs to get a fuckin' job.”

The same can be said about the use of keener, which isn’t as prevalent in popular culture when it comes to stereotyping Canadians, but it is a part of the commonly listed slang. A keener refers to an ass-kiss, brown noser, or suck up – to use other popular slang terms. Basically, somebody who schmoozes somebody for some kind of benefit, I’m sure you get the gist.

“I tell you, that there new guy is a damn keener if I ever saw one, boss can’t go two steps and take a stumble without him half ready to lick his arsehole.”

Canuck & True North and Strong

These two are pretty simple. A Canuck literally is just a nickname for a Canadian. We even have a hockey team named after it.

As for the “True North and Strong”, this isn’t as commonly known as most of the other slang terms I’ve taught you today. As a matter of fact, most sites won’t list this one, even though I’ve personally heard it a few times in my life as a Canuck myself.

Obviously derived from a verse from the Canadian National Anthem, to say that you are “True North and strong” literally means that you are a proud Canadian. You can use both terms in conjunction with one another, which is why I included them together:

“I tell you what bud, I’m damn well in love with my girl. She’s a right True North and Strong Canuck, through and through.”

Hard/Hard No

Not a super popular one, but still present in the lingo, hardno is no different than saying “hell no” – it applies emphasis on your stance. However, it isn’t just as simple as that, you can use to express personal dislike of something as well.

To emphasize your stance:

- “Hey there bud, how’s aboot we maybe go to a gay bar? Not for the dangly parts, but there’s a good chance we’ll get free drinks.”

- “Hard no!”

To express dislike:

“I tell ya, it just ain’t right how you can have yourself a good night at a bar and leave with a girl only to wake up and find out she wasn’t an eight after all. She was a right hard no.”

Lastly, but not least … let’s talk COFFEE.

Tim’s/Ordering Coffee

Most can assume that if someone says they’re making a run to Tim’s or Timmy’s they’re referring to the Canadian coffee & eatery chain Tim Horton’s. And like Starbucks, there’s “proper” ways to order your coffee, starting with the sizes.

There are no Italian terms here, just straight forward ass sizes:

Extra Small: A 6 oz cup of coffee.
Small: A 10 ounce cup of coffee.
Medium: A 15 oz cup of coffee.
Large: A 20 oz cup of coffee.
Extra Large: A 24 oz cup of coffee.

(These sizes don’t apply to cold beverages. There’s just small, medium, and large.)

Now, how Canadians order their coffee depends on what you get. Of course, if you have ratios that don’t match, you would just say how many creams, milks, sugars or sweetners you wanted. However, if you want matching ratios, there are proper terms for them.

Regular: 1 cream and 1 sugar. You can also ask for a Regular with milk or sweetner. Just ask for a regular with milk, or a regular with sweetner, etc.

Double-Double: The most well known and ordered coffee ratio, a double-double is exactly what you would assume: its two cream, two sugar, or variants of milk and sweetner. It’s the most popular way to have your coffee in Canada, and a great way to earn someone’s approval.

"There's no greater keeper than a girl who wakes you up in the mornin' with the magic words: I'm going to Tim's, large double-double?"

Triple-Triple: Seeing a trend yet? Well, you guessed it: a Triple-Triple is 3 creams and 3 sugars, and I can promise you that it’ll probably give you a belly ache, but it’s geared more towards skirts who can’t handle their coffee too hot or too bitter. Of course, you can have er' with milk and sweetner if you want people to think you're even more of a skirt.

Four-by-Four: Now you’re into super Sally territory once you get into four-by-fours. You’re likely going to get side-eyed by a few Canucks if you’re having 4 creams and 4 sugars in your coffee. Like all of the coffees, you can have variants with milk and sweetner.

Once you start going past a four-by-four, you run the risk of offending Canadians who love their Tim’s and take their brew seriously, so you might just wanna get yourself an iced cap or something Sally.

And that there my friends is my myTake on Canadian lingo. Hopefully you found it entertaining, I certainly enjoyed writing it, and this way if any of you really do flee America if Donald Trump gets elected, you won't be running into Canada not knowing some of the slang.

TGIF and have yourselves a good one.

21
4

Most Helpful Guy

• WhiteSteve
    We actually say a lot of that here in New England down in the States: Sally, darts, deke (because we actually have and care about hockey here... get it together, America🙄😒), hard no... that's probably where it ends though, haha.
    My dearly departed buddy Kris85 from up North put me on to this back in the day, always reminds me of her😂
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M
    "Just aout fer a rip, are ya, bud?"🇨🇦😂

True story, got accosted by some political solicitor on my way into a Walmart where my company sells product, dude is like "excuse me, are you a registered voter in Massachusetts?" Usually if you say no they'll try to register you on the spot so I needed an out. Threw on a LEGIT Canadian accent, not over the top, and no telltale "eh's", and was just like "sorry, bud, I'm from Beaver Creek, Ontario." No idea if such a place exists, but it sounded Canadian as fuck, hahaha. Good thing I watch enough hockey interviews and Kids In The Hall to get the accent down to a serviceable level. Actually kind of went with a toned down Scott Thompson Canadian bro😂
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzKLQLPm-M
    The key is the "right?", and getting that down. And master a good "Jeeeeesus CHRIST" with the same inflection on "Christ" as you'd put on "right." Throw in a "bud" or "buddy" and you can sell any non-Canadian on it, no problem. It's my go-to fake accent😂😂😂
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• redeyemindtricks
    Ahhahaa one of my girlfriends LOVES this place: (I don't know whether you anglophones feel that Québec is actually Canadian, but...)
    www.yelp.com/biz/smokes-poutinerie-los-angeles-2

I am totally gna go in there with her, and see whether I can trick them into describing the poutine as "True North and Strong."

You know why?

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

wait for it...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

... because then I can say "... it's true north, strong, and FREE... RIGHT?"
    media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnsVTCI9YpFa8hy/giphy.gif

You never know, they might actually give it to us for free.

__

I prefer the US Southern term "juke", which is the exact equivalent of "deke" in every possible way (originally from football running backs). It just feels better rolling off the tongue.

__

You forgot "loonies", although you got all the others that sprang immediately to my mind. Nicely done.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

320
  • Cosytoasty
    Always fresh, Always Tim Hortons 😍😍😍

I was actually meaning to ask what language ur reply to my opinion was the other day lmao. If i may add something, im fairly sure your deke comes from our "decked" meaning to knock someone out (onto the floor/deck). Your "eh" is also from your Scottish roots too, they use it a lot.

by the way, where abouts are you from in Cana-dia? 😂 You seem like a Calgary/Edmonton lass.
  • bloodmountain1990
    Love Canadian lingo and the pronunciation of sorry. I didn't realize Goosebumps was Canadian till I watched it as an adult again and heard sorry.

Trailer Park Boys is pretty Canadian too.
    • Proper Canadian show right there.

• What province of Canada are you from? I went to Stratford Ontario when I was 9 and loved it.

• Goosebumps is Canadian? Cause I thought that R. L. Stine was born in Ohio.

• 

• Fathoms77
    LOL That editing once-over was fun for me... went and changed "aboot" and left it that way for a few seconds until it dawned on me... :P
  • FatherJack
    Parker & Stones falsetto Nova Scotia based Canadian " accents " are funny... One Canadian friend thinks Terrance & Phillip are hilarious... The fabled " aboot " is not quite accurate !!

https://youtu.be/pFCd4ZOTVg4
  • IsraelJordan
    I love tim hortons. I can never find them anywhere though. Is that just an up north thing?
    • No they're all over, especially in the major cities.

• In Canada? Because i can't find any here in america except from back home in NY

• In Canada, yeah, in America it's only a few places.

• Saoirse_Nua
    All totally brand new to me and I often watching some Canadian TV - Very educational
    • You ought to give the series Letterkenny a try if you can find yourself a way to stream it. Great Canadian comedy series.

• meowcow
    What the heck?

I'm a born and raised Canadian and none of what you've written holds any truth at all. A few things ring a bell, like deke... and Tim Hortons... but... that was like 20 years ago. Your take may be a few decades outdated.
    • I've heard many of these things, so I'd say it more depends on who you're around or where you are from. Otherwise they wouldn't be known by others, outdated or not. Lol. Don't take er' too seriously bud.

• Mustachekitteh
    Hearing the word eh I think about this character from Etrian Odyssey the millennium girl that is apparently Canadian. :D Her name is Raquna Sheldon and I keep hearing her saying, "That so eh?" or something like that. :D
  • Bitterpill
    Thanks for sharing, i'll be sure to keep those in mind incase I ever visit Canada.

here's a few British ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiO3pitT4ko
  • Redstang88
    Sometimes I forget dart is a Canadian thing. If I had a dime for every time I heard "hey bud, got a dart? at work, I'd be rich.
    You forgot "chirping/beaking" Use that all the time.
  • YourFutureEx
  • Ahmed_Sy15x
  • LittleSally
    Haha My name on here is obviously very ironic then. xD
  • Canadians are incapable of making a simple hamburger edible. A simple fucking hamburger! And the food goes downhill from there. Sometimes you'd swear you were in Britain...
    • You haven't been to the right spots friend, I've had many a grand burger here in Canada.

• zagor

I've had very little decent food in Canada - most of the good food was at my relatives' houses. And its not like the states, where a "bad" restaurant is usually just bland. There it actually tastes bad.

• MusicLover8098
    I like these 😊

So you guys actually say "eh" ?
    I thought that was mostly a stereotype 😊
    • I use eh? All of the time actually. Even in text.

• Wow, I had no idea it was actually a common thing. Canadians are cool 😊

• Dipsy
    Where's the 'sorry' 😂😂
    • Well sorry isn't strictly considered Canadian lingo. Lol. Everyone uses sorry.

• Dipsy

I heard (from someone who went to Canada) that they said sorry a lot. And now it's become and inside joke and we basically say sorry after every sentence

• ToruMatsuda
    RJ why are you so awesome
  • Zorax
    Great Take, I like Canadian accent :)
  • OrdinaryGentleman
    <3 the Couve
    Mainly <3 Blackcomb though.
  • ikissedtheskyonce
    Canadians sound the same as us americans to me
  • JohnCarl
    You HIT girl start some blog or something
  • meatballs21
    Who says Sally or Skirt? Take off eh?
  • Anonymous
    Some of these I haven't heard in years. But others I hear daily.

TPB and the movie 'Goon' are recommended for learning Canadian.

The scene in Goon where his drunken coach taps him approvingly on the chest at the bar after a game slurring 'You're fuckin' alright eh?' is very well constructed Canadian.