My Creepy Encounters on Social Networking Sites and My Phone

Cccgala u

Social networking sites do enable interaction between individuals and groups. An influx of data in the form of graphics and textual information that are distributed in operating websites enhance the quality of communication every user experiences.

However, the splendor of the intangible mediators isn't my point here.

With the advent of modern technology, the methods of being accessed and contacted interpersonally have been changing.

The data you own and share may put you at risk if you, by chance, neglect privacy settings and if you happen to post overly personal information (such as e-mail addresses and passwords).

Similarly, you might not know when you're going to be victimized by merely owning an account in a social networking site and by merely owning a phone.

Like me.

I have my fair share of eerie experiences and they are not, in any way, in relation to paranormal encounters.

Here we go.

Encounter #1

To me, this one's a complete shocker.

One day on Facebook, I got a notification, informing me that someone liked a cover photo I uploaded on 2012. It was a photo of my 12-year-old self together with two of my classmates in seventh grade.

It creeped me out because:

The user and I didn't share mutual friends (not even one). How did he find me and what made him like my cover photo?

The user was from another country, which I found unusually creepy! I checked his profile and I even saw posts written in a language I couldn't even decipher.

A post that old (imagine, 2012) may not be easily accessed by lazy people; it just proved the user had the patience and time to access my timeline and scroll all the way down to the older public posts I have shared. Alternatively, my post might have showed up as well in some search query the user made within Facebook. Coming from the person I don't even know personally? Whoa!

In the end, I set the privacy of my cover photo to "Friends" and I blocked the user on Facebook.

Encounter #2

I had experienced phishing. Fortunately, I was meticulous enough to detect such.

For those who do not know what phishing is, let this source define for you:

"Phishing is a form of fraud in which the attacker tries to learn information such as login credentials or account information by masquerading as a reputable entity or person in email, IM or other communication channels." -from https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/

In my own words, phishing is an attack that lures victims to supply information by informing suspicious activities that are commonly performed in the name of a reputable and trustworthy brand.

That's somehow smart but creepily deceptive.

Examples are like these:

Let's go back to my own experience.

I was in school when I received an SMS message, telling me that someone has used my password in an e-mail account I don't even own.

This is the exact message I had received. However, I censored the e-mail address for privacy reasons (even though it's an alien address after all).

It creeped me out because:

The phone number was from another country. It started with the numbers +356 unlike the usual +639 here in my country and the subsequent numbers were oddly arranged as well.

It looked trustworthy. I clicked the link and I was close to giving my information when I figured out to manually change details myself.

I don't share my phone number to people I don't know. How did the sender know my number and how did the sender manage to send an SMS message?

Since I was in school, I rushed to our library to avail the free Internet access there. I opened my e-mail account and changed my password with a much stronger one just in case.

Encounter #3

After leaving my phone for a while one day, I was beyond than shocked to know that I had received eight consecutive missed calls from a foreign phone number.

The time I brought my phone with me, the number called again. I answered it, anticipating for important news. It had been around twenty seconds and no one was responding, so I instinctively hung up. The caller called for the tenth time and an approximate location showed up: Seattle, WA, USA. This time, I declined the call.

It creeped me out because:

I later learned that it was a scam called "ring and run." It's a form of a spam call and it can cost you money!

"You'll be connected to an expensive international hotline—usually an "adult entertainment" service—that charges as much as $19.95 as soon as you connect. There may also be a sizable per-minute fee. Those costs typically show up on your phone bill as "premium services." -from https://www.cnbc.com/

After that, I blocked the number and carried on with my life.

So much for the creeps.

12
8

Most Helpful Girl

• Brokenheartedx
    The person who liked your picture may have been looking at a site where specifically English speaking congregate.. Facebook you liked a page, etc.. if you go on Facebook and check you're other messages you'll see what I mean.. I comment on the daily mail and see men from Asia and Africa message me... I ignore them as I call them * visa hinters*

Be wary of everyone on the World Wide Web, I've known people who have their baby scan pictures took and passed off as someone else's... only ever befriend people you know and keep pictures etc set to close friends and relatives only even keep your friends hidden as u don't kno who is stalkin you or your friends!
    Worlds dangerous and there is only one of you, to your family and close friends you are irreplaceable,.. please be wise and be safe

That goes for everyone

Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    wow.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

711
  • colourz
    Uses social media sites, then whines about it >

What are you gonna cry about next? How fruit got blended up into your smoothie.

Ohh the humanity, those poor fruit 😥
  • SnowHearth
    Most scam calls come from prisions, mostly from Mexico.
    Corruption is really bad, because inmates should not be allowed to have personal phones with them.
    • Cccgala

Mexico? Really? 😮
      Yes, corruption; our country can relate as well. Inmates here in the Philippines aren't allowed personal gadgets to be with them as well but it's violated because of, well, corruption.

• 

• Saoirse_Nua
    I am lucky that I only have a pay as you go phone with usually small amounts on it but I have had my credit wiped out once or twice by answering fake calls. "Phising", you have to be so careful when asked to change log in details. As for that first one that was creepy as hell.
  • Darkfairie17
    I'm so sorry you had those experiences! Thank you for this my take, makes me feel like I'm not alone in my creepy experiences!
  • peachblossomluck
    I've had similar things happen, especially on Facebook with foreigners who friend request me and we have no connection.
  • The data analytics stuff that tracks your life is getting pretty creepy too. I got a suggested connection on LinkedIn for a guy who there is no way they should have known I had any connection with.
  • pooper89
    Every so often I'll get a friend request from Mustafa Alrabivenkatran or whoever the fuck... from India or the middle east. I just delete the requests
  • Fathoms77
    Another set of reasons why I don't do any of it. Email is as far as I go. :P
  • kespethdude
    Isn't at least #3 illegal, if not all of those?
    • Cccgala

Illegal? How? :O

• It's a type of scam. And if it isn't illegal, it should be.

• Oh, and the phishing scams (#2) are definitely illegal too.

• Shrooms
    I don't see how anyone could fall for this.. hilarious...
  • iceEverestere
    I experienced 1 and 2...
    • Cccgala

Phishing is creepy, right? :(
      I'm sorry for what you had experienced.

• Yeah, Its very risky. Those days I used to write Public exams a lot and I used to get those types of messages from fake institutes saying that I need counselling... but I dont know why the heck they needed my bank details for.

• capturemyheartnow
    That's why I don't post my pictures on the net.
  • Adigelunar
    good topic--
  • Zombie_Killer_Redux
    I'm creeping on you right now!

Enjoy that lol
  • Anonymous
    lies. none of this ever happened to u lol
  • Anonymous
    And that is why you set your privacy settings to friends only. And he didn't scroll through all of your timeline, only public photos appears to him like profile and your profile cover, you are supposed to be aware of that before uploading.
  • Anonymous
    About two years ago, I found some of my old grade 8 graduation pictures. I decided to post them up on Facebook. I had an old co-worker comment on the picture that he wanted to take the dress off me. I was 13 in that picture! I even pointed that out to him. He said he knew that and he didn't see anything wrong with it because I was in my 20's now (well back then), so it wasn't creepy. I blocked him after that.
  • Anonymous
    Someone once used my photos and used them and acted liked such a slut to ruin my reputation but my profile is already private so it must've been a friend or a relative shows you that you really can't trust anyone.